Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #8521 of 8550 Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm in N. Central Plano and get WFAA just fine on my attic Winegard FV-30BB antenna mounted to an old antenna pole sitting on sheetrock propped against an overhead beam. I had a similar problem summer before last(?) or last summer that had me thinking that I had broken my VHF decoder but lo and behold it just reappeared. Even aiming at the proper direction may not necessarily pull it in due to signal reflections. If you're in this area it CAN be picked up with tedious aiming (I had to lower the antenna on the pole and move it back away from the front angle of my one story roof line).

Last edited by teasip; 03-18-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8550 Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 127
You do need some combination of LUCK (as in location and surroundings) and WORK to pull it off. I didn't mean to imply it was impossible, I meant it wasn't going to be simple for most people and that the tendency to blame the antenna is probably the wrong thing to focus on.

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 03-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.
post #8523 of 8550 Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
I'm in N. Central Plano and get WFAA just fine on my attic Winegard FV-30BB antenna mounted to an old antenna pole sitting on sheetrock propped against an overhead beam. I had a similar problem summer before last(?) or last summer that had me thinking that I had broken my VHF decoder but lo and behold it just reappeared. Even aiming at the proper direction may not necessarily pull it in due to signal reflections. If you're in this area it CAN be picked up with tedious aiming (I had to lower the antenna on the pole and move it back away from the front angle of my one story roof line).
I have that antenna. It will pick up VHF-Hi but doesn't have a lot of gain in that band.

If you're dealing with multipath, you might need to aim that antenna so it nulls out the most bothersome reflection (assuming you know or can guess which direction it's coming from), rather than aiming it to face Cedar Hill directly. That would reduce its gain even more, though, so you may not be able to find an orientation that works for all the channels you want.

post #8524 of 8550 Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for everyone's responses. WFAA has been puzzling. I guess the fringe reception is the issue and it does seem to suffer from interference, such as the computer.
post #8525 of 8550 Old 03-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses. WFAA has been puzzling. I guess the fringe reception is the issue and it does seem to suffer from interference, such as the computer.
It may be something as simple as some structure having gone up that impacts your signal reception between you and the transmitter. If you're able to slightly adjust the antenna (up/down/left/right) you may be able to find it again. That's how it worked for me.
post #8526 of 8550 Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 127
It's far more likely to be something nearby that is electrically noisy combined with the indoor location and the very weak VHF signals.
post #8527 of 8550 Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
38 was working again last night. I hope they can keep it together this time....

Also, on March 9 it looks like KODF/26 put a new channel called "Sherril" or something on 26.3. Was airing infomercials when I looked at it last night. But changing the channel name broke Bob's graphs for KODF again, so now none of KODF/26, KVFW/38, or KATA/50 look right....
Quote:
And today all three are straightened out! I'm especially impressed that KVFW is reporting again: that should mean they finally have their PSIP problems fixed.
"Sherril" seems to be religious programming now. The infomercials may just be used to fill time between the religious shows.

Anyone else notice that whatever channel replaced Retro on 31.4 has itself been replaced with Hot TV? So now Hot TV is on 31.2, 31.3, and 31.4: rolleyes:
post #8528 of 8550 Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Anyone else notice that whatever channel replaced Retro on 31.4 has itself been replaced with Hot TV? So now Hot TV is on 31.2, 31.3, and 31.4: rolleyes:
Not much would surprise me with 31 (and 38 too). They run those like part-time hobbies.
post #8529 of 8550 Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
44 adds two dots. One just shows a For Lease screen shot while .6 is labeled as DrTV.

Is 31 and 22 off the air? I haven't seen a signal for a few days now.
post #8530 of 8550 Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed last week that the analog NTSC channel 22 is off the air now. They were showing HOT Tv .
post #8531 of 8550 Old 04-03-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Diya TV was on 44-3 until it went to color bars many moons ago. Looks like they moved Diya from 44-3 to 44-5 but it still doesn't work! The color bars are gone but they have 44-2's "For Lease" slide on both -3 and -5, and it specifically says 44-2 is the channel for lease.

DrTV used to be on "Channel Master TV" (free Internet channels for the Channel Master DVR+) and carried health & wellness programming, sort of like Lifetime many years ago when it first started (before it became a lifestyle channel). When I checked it today all I saw was an infomercial, but perhaps that's just transitional programming.

As far as 22 and 31 go, maybe the outage is just temporary. Otherwise, it looks like the only channel left for Hot TV is KATA/50.
post #8532 of 8550 Old 04-04-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Spectrum versus Fontier Fios

Crap! Frontier has jacked up all my rates this month significantly without any communication. It seems my old Verizon plan promotion has ended. I think I'm fed up. Spectrum is offering similar TV channels with HBO included on the triple play with 100 mbps download speed for a significantly lower price.

My main concerns is fast reliable internet speed as I work from home. Second would be quality picture in HD for sports programming. SO thought about getting some thoughts from some of the experts here.

I'm in North Texas area. Anyone that can answer this thanks
1). How does the basic HD programming compare
2). How does the DVRs compare? e.g. storage, how many shows can be recorded and viewed at once etc
3). Is there a different upload speed? I have Fios 50/50 now would like at least 100 download, not sure how much upload I need, but son and I do play some online games on PS4
4). How does the HD quality compare?
5). anything else I'm missing?
post #8533 of 8550 Old 04-05-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I only have Spectrum for Internet, so I can only comment on #3. They do have 100Mbps download (it's their "ultimate" or "X-treme" package; something like that).

Make sure to get your own 100Mbps DOCSIS modem. They charge you a bundle to lease one of theirs.
post #8534 of 8550 Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I only have Spectrum for Internet, so I can only comment on #3. They do have 100Mbps download (it's their "ultimate" or "X-treme" package; something like that).

Make sure to get your own 100Mbps DOCSIS modem. They charge you a bundle to lease one of theirs.

I now have Spectrum Internet, and they provided an SB6141 for free. They would charge an extra fee ($5 ?/mo.) for a modem/router combo for wi-fi though. So I use my own router.

The latest ad I received in the mail from Spectrum advertises "Spectrum Internet TM."
Quote:
Spectrum Internet has the fastest Internet STARTING speeds available for the price at 100 Mbps
(Emphasis theirs.)

The fine print breaks down the bundle as:
Quote:
Bundle price for TV Select, Internet, and Voice ...
And
Quote:
INTERNET: Available Internet speeds may vary by address.
I used to have a TWC bundle which included Standard TV and Standard Internet 15/1 @ $99.99/mo. But in August of 2015, TWC moved me to a newly named TWC "Extreme" plan which now offered 50/5, with no extra charge to my current plan, which retailed at $59.99/mo. (TWC's former Extreme plan at 30/5 was renamed Ultimate 200 and delivered speeds up to 200/20.)

My current internet service is now with Spectrum, which started in late December 2016. It is labeled as "Spectrum Internet" on the bill and retails @ $64.99/mo. (It was $59.99 until the $5/mo price hike in March of 2017). They have provided a SB6141 for free.

A Ookla Flash speed test tonight gave 94.48/11.79
A DSL HTML5 speed test tonight gave 91.5/11.87

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 04-07-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #8535 of 8550 Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Liked: 3
Results for the spectrum auction are out:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...A-17-314A2.pdf

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...5&owner=&sort=

The only station going off the air is KATA-CD. It appears there won't be any channel sharing in this market as a result of the auction. WFAA, KFWD, KERA, KTVT, KMPX, KDAF, and KDFW are staying put and don't have to do anything. Everyone else is being reshuffled throughout the new UHF band.

It'll be interesting to see how the new channels will impact reception.
ed_in_tx and JHBrandt like this.
post #8536 of 8550 Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Man - KFWD is staying on the air?? I'm very surprised. Looks the bozos who bought the station in hopes of making a killing in this auction got exactly what they deserved: zero.

Also surprised that no full-power or class A station is moving to VHF.

Incidentally, KATA/50 got almost $20 million to go off the air.

There's a bit of weirdness in the above moves. Why does KTXD move to RF 23 after KUVN moves to RF 33? Same goes for KDTN moving to 29 after KTXA moves to 18, and KXTX moving to 36 after KDFI moves to 27. Why move two stations when you could just move one? Maybe the FCC needs some "breathing room" on RF 23, 29, and 36 so they can move around stations in nearby markets without interference.

Looks like RF 20 and 26 will remain available for LPTV. Currently those stations are KBOP and K26KC. I'm betting KBOP stays put at RF 20, but I'm not sure (Edit) what EICB's planning for KHFD and K26KC. Right now K26KC has a terribly weak signal that can't really get any stronger without interfering with KTEN in Oklahoma, and I don't think EICB really needs it; the few times I've been able to lock it, it's just been a simulcast of KHFD/51, which is much easier to receive. But KTEN is moving to RF 17, so I suppose EICB could boost its signal, or sell it to an LPTV that ends up with an undesirable slot like RF 2-4.

Also RF 22 (currently KNAV) will be available on the Dallas side of the metroplex (KUVN-CA only covers downtown Ft. Worth). KNAV is an interesting case: their analog facility broadcasts toward Dallas, so it could stay without interfering with the new KUVN-CA assignment, but it's apparently already shut down. Even if it came back on, it'd have to switch to digital.

KNAV does have a CP for a new digital facility, but that one would interfere with KUVN-CA, so it's out the window too. So I'm sticking with my original prediction that they dust off their old proposal to move to RF 12 with a pattern that avoids interference with KXII.

Another station that can't remain is KZFW/6. It had been a FrankenFM: an analog LPTV used as a LPFM station because its analog audio carrier can be tuned by most FM radios. But if it converts to digital, it loses that advantage. My guess is that KPFW takes them over.

KPFW/18, KWDA/30 (on RF 21), K25FW, KODF/26 (on RF 27), KHPK/28, K31GL, KJJM/34, KVFW/38, and KHFD/51 have to move, all but one to VHF, if they intend to stay on the air. One of them can move to RF 22 if KNAV/22 moves elsewhere; another could move to RF 26 depending on what EICB does with K26KC.

Best bet for moving to RF 22 is probably KWDA/30. Right now they're only one RF channel away at 21, and they broadcast directionally from downtown Dallas so they don't interfere with KUVN-CA, so it'd probably be an easy move for them.

So that would give us the following LPTV map:
RF 5: stays KXDA
RF 6: becomes KPFW (or maybe stays KZFW but KPFW's programming moves there)
RF 7: becomes KODF? (if so, RF 7 would be channel 26, which works out because RF 26 - K26KC - is channel 7)
RF 10: becomes KHPK
RF 12: becomes KNAV (Hot TV in digital, in case K31GL goes away?)
RF 13: becomes KHFD
RF 20: stays KBOP
RF 22: becomes KWDA in Dallas, KUVN-CA in FW
RF 26: probably stays K26KC but who knows?
RF 28: becomes KLEG (as noted in above post)

... and that leaves RF 2-4 and 11 for K25FW, K31GL, KJJM, and KVFW. (K25FW and K31GL will get new calls, of course.) If this works out, it won't be as bad as I had feared - we only lose KATA and KZFW - but I sure hope KVFW gets RF 11, so we won't all have to buy VHF-Lo antennas to get their shows

Edit: According to this article, by early next year we'll see exactly where our LPTV stations are going (except 44, 47, and 50, whose fates we already know).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-17-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #8537 of 8550 Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As far as 22 and 31 go, maybe the outage is just temporary. Otherwise, it looks like the only channel left for Hot TV is KATA/50.
31 is back! 50 is still on the air as of tonight, but will be going away soon after they get their money from the auction, and I think 22's analog signal is history. KZFW/6's FrankenFM signal seems to be off the air too.

22 and/or 31 will probably move to VHF at some point though, as I wildly speculated above.
post #8538 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Man - KFWD is staying on the air?? I'm very surprised. Looks the bozos who bought the station in hopes of making a killing in this auction got exactly what they deserved: zero.
They made hundreds of millions of dollars in other markets though, so I'm not sure how much they were really punished.

Quote:
There's a bit of weirdness in the above moves. Why does KTXD move to RF 23 after KUVN moves to RF 33? Same goes for KDTN moving to 29 after KTXA moves to 18, and KXTX moving to 36 after KDFI moves to 27. Why move two stations when you could just move one? Maybe the FCC needs some "breathing room" on RF 23, 29, and 36 so they can move around stations in nearby markets without interference.
The algorithm was designed to move as few TV stations as possible, so if a station was moved, there was some reason for it. Every case I've checked into so far I've found a reason for. I can dig into Dallas if you want me to.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8539 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 01:25 PM

DFW is part of Phase 3 of the repack, so all the changes need to be done by June 21, 2019. There will be a testing period beginning on April 13, 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The algorithm was designed to move as few TV stations as possible, so if a station was moved, there was some reason for it. Every case I've checked into so far I've found a reason for. I can dig into Dallas if you want me to.

- Trip
Sure, it'll make for an interesting read.
post #8540 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They made hundreds of millions of dollars in other markets though, so I'm not sure how much they were really punished.
Yeah, I guess if you buy a "portfolio" of investments, some will pay off big even if others (like KFWD in this case) tank. As long as you get more out than you put in, you're gonna think you were pretty sharp.
Quote:

- Trip
I'm sure you have other things to do, but if you have some free time I'm really curious why these "double station moves" have to be done. I'm sure there's a reason but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.
post #8541 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 02:00 PM

It didn't take long. KDFI and KUVN's moves actually make sense in the context of the larger universe of TV stations.

KXTX is very easy. It's omni, KDFI isn't. Without moving any other station, KXTX fits on 36, while KDFI fits on 27. So, it moved one station (KDFI) rather than choosing a different channel for KXTX and having to potentially shift several stations around in other parts of Texas to accommodate KXTX.

Then, KUVN. It's a misdirect; look instead here at KUVN-CD's constraints:

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...&ch7=35&ch8=36

What you see is that KUVN-CD basically has to be co-channel with one of the stations in Tyler, because a Dallas station takes up every other channel. KYTX starts out on 18, but gets repacked to 15 which is unavailable in Dallas due to land mobile and frees channel 18 for KTXA, so 18 is out. KETK on 22 is an interesting choice, but KUVN-CD cannot be adjacent to KUVN, so KUVN would have to move. KFXK on 31 is also interesting, but then both KMPX and KDAF would have to move. Obviously, moving one station is better than moving two, so 22 it is, and KUVN gets moved. Ultimately, KFXK gets moved to 20, because most of the Dallas stations can't co-exist with KFXK or KTXS, and the system just chose one or the other to move and opted to move KFXK to 20, freeing 31 for KAZD, but 20 would mean moving KTVT, and while that's just as much trouble as moving KUVN, KTVT is omni and KUVN isn't, so KUVN's easier to find a new home for.

Does that make sense?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8542 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, so to spell out the "easy" case a little more explicitly, none of the stations above RF 36 could have moved directly to 27 because their omnidirectional radiation patterns would have interfered with another station on RF 27. But KDFI, whose directional pattern wouldn't cause the same interference, could move to RF 27; then a station (which turned out to be KXTX) could move into KDFI's old slot at RF 36.

The others are more complicated, but maybe I can wrap my head around the bits & pieces:
Quote:
KUVN-CD cannot be adjacent to KUVN
I assume this is because adjacent-channel interference would produce areas where neither station could be received, partially defeating the purpose of even having a translator station. So once KUVN-CD wound up on 22, KUVN was forced to move.

Just why KUVN-CD wound up on 22, next to 23, is a bit harder to grok, but basically whatever frequency you choose in effect puts a Tyler station on the same frequency, and when you consider all the Dallas and Tyler stations together, 22 results in the fewest total moves.

Whew! Do I have it more or less right?
post #8543 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 03:24 PM

For the easy case, I think you almost have it. Here's KXTX's constraints as they are today:

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...&ch7=35&ch8=36

What you see is that for KXTX, there is no available channel below 36 today. And remember, there are three omni stations that need homes, KXTX, KXAS, and KAZD. So you need to find three spots. It's not that no other stations would fit on 27, but that 36 made more sense for a bigger station. Thus KDFI was bumped, because you see from the link above, if you remove KDFI, then 36 becomes completely free without having to move any other stations. KAZD needed a home; the system opted to move KFXK to 20 and then KAZD had a free space on 31. KXAS was more complicated, but even here, KTAB fits on 30 without moving any other station, so half the stations blocking 24 go away all at once. (The moves of KLTS and KFXK become possible due to moves to accommodate stations further east, which start getting so complicated that it's difficult to disentangle by hand.)

For the other case, yes, I think that's basically right. The placement on 22 went with trying to keep KETK on its channel--theoretically, KETK could have moved, but who knows what else may have had to move to make that happen.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8544 of 8550 Old 04-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Does Univision really need KUVN-CD? Is KUVN's main signal that bad in downtown Ft. Worth?
JHBrandt likes this.
post #8545 of 8550 Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fans of India programming will be happy to learn that Diya TV has returned to KLEG/44, now on subchannel 44.5. (Used to be on channel 44.3.) Channel 44.6 (labeled DrTV) is still airing infomercials, though.

Channels 44.2 and 44.3 are now showing a static slide reading:
Quote:
Coming Soon this Summer

KBS AMERICA TV CH 44.3

and

CBS AMERICA TV CH 44.3

For more Information
call (214) 306-6474
KBS is the Korean Broadcasting System. We have a Korean channel (MBC America) on 55.2, so this will be the second Korean channel in the DFW area.

Not sure what CBS America is - Google only turned up the CBS we all know about already.

Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue - maybe. CBS may refer to the "Central Broadcasting System" of Radio Taiwan International. If so, CBS America may be new; Wikipedia shows they broadcast in Australia and New Zealand (presumably in English), but not in North America currently.

If CBS America is indeed a venture of Radio Taiwan, I can't be sure if it will be video or audio only. It does say "TV" in the slide, though, so maybe they're going for video.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Today at 12:58 PM.
post #8546 of 8550 Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cannon View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the new channels will impact reception.
Probably not much, unless antenna makers come out with new UHF models optimized for the narrower bandwidth of the repacked UHF band. But I haven't even seen antennas optimized for RF 14-51 - pretty much everything you can get is still for RF 14-69!

Depending on where new LTE towers pop up in your area, you may benefit from a 610 MHz low-pass filter, just as some folks benefit from a 700 MHz low-pass filter today.
post #8547 of 8550 Old Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just took a look at 38.3 KVFW Retro and it's back on, and locks right in.

A couple of weeks ago when I tried tuning to it, the 'Pal DVR got stuck and seemed like about a minute couldn't make it change channels off of 38.3. Finally showed a picture and I was able to change off of that channel.

One last gasp? Or are they planning on a move and staying on the air with their intermittent at best service?
post #8548 of 8550 Old Today, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
It looks like KTXD reshuffled their channel lineup overnight. Comet moved to 47.2 and now actually identifies that way. No guide data yet though. 47.1 KTXD-DT 47.2 COMET 47.3 LATV 47.4 KTXD-4 47.5 SBN 47.4 is "Tela Vida Abundante" and sadly has twice the bit rate as Comet.
Comet often drops under 1 Mbps, and just becomes unwatchable. I posted a complaint to their Facebook page, hoping to get some attention...
post #8549 of 8550 Old Today, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Or are they planning on a move and staying on the air with their intermittent at best service?
No telling yet, but all the LPTVs that have to move will have a filing period in early 2018. If they plan to stay on the air after repacking, they'll file a construction permit application then (unless they make a channel sharing agreement with another station - which may not be a bad idea given how much trouble they've had trying to run a station on their own).

Being on RF 38, KVFW may get to stay where they are a bit longer more than the LPTVs being displaced by moving full-power stations. KVFW can stay until whoever bought their spectrum wants to start using it; the others have to move or shut down by the start of repacking phase 3 in April 2019.
post #8550 of 8550 Old Today, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what CBS America is - Google only turned up the CBS we all know about already.

Edit: Wikipedia to the rescue - maybe. CBS may refer to the "Central Broadcasting System" of Radio Taiwan International.
Not quite. 44.3 changed their slide a bit and now includes a Web address: www.zionmediausa.com. Checking that website reveals CBS is also Korean, not Chinese. It didn't reveal what "CBS" stands for here, but it did mention helping the Korean church, so "Christian Broadcasting System" maybe? Anyway, CBS America will be the third Korean station in DFW when it goes live.

Also, it looks like Zion Media is bringing all three Korean TV stations to DFW: not only KBS America (whose logo looks like a Star Trek Starfleet logo to me) and CBS America, but also MBC America, which is already on 55.2.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Today at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception