Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes
post #8521 of 8528 Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in N. Central Plano and get WFAA just fine on my attic Winegard FV-30BB antenna mounted to an old antenna pole sitting on sheetrock propped against an overhead beam. I had a similar problem summer before last(?) or last summer that had me thinking that I had broken my VHF decoder but lo and behold it just reappeared. Even aiming at the proper direction may not necessarily pull it in due to signal reflections. If you're in this area it CAN be picked up with tedious aiming (I had to lower the antenna on the pole and move it back away from the front angle of my one story roof line).

Last edited by teasip; 03-18-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8528 Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 119
You do need some combination of LUCK (as in location and surroundings) and WORK to pull it off. I didn't mean to imply it was impossible, I meant it wasn't going to be simple for most people and that the tendency to blame the antenna is probably the wrong thing to focus on.

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 03-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.
post #8523 of 8528 Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
I'm in N. Central Plano and get WFAA just fine on my attic Winegard FV-30BB antenna mounted to an old antenna pole sitting on sheetrock propped against an overhead beam. I had a similar problem summer before last(?) or last summer that had me thinking that I had broken my VHF decoder but lo and behold it just reappeared. Even aiming at the proper direction may not necessarily pull it in due to signal reflections. If you're in this area it CAN be picked up with tedious aiming (I had to lower the antenna on the pole and move it back away from the front angle of my one story roof line).
I have that antenna. It will pick up VHF-Hi but doesn't have a lot of gain in that band.

If you're dealing with multipath, you might need to aim that antenna so it nulls out the most bothersome reflection (assuming you know or can guess which direction it's coming from), rather than aiming it to face Cedar Hill directly. That would reduce its gain even more, though, so you may not be able to find an orientation that works for all the channels you want.

post #8524 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for everyone's responses. WFAA has been puzzling. I guess the fringe reception is the issue and it does seem to suffer from interference, such as the computer.
post #8525 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses. WFAA has been puzzling. I guess the fringe reception is the issue and it does seem to suffer from interference, such as the computer.
It may be something as simple as some structure having gone up that impacts your signal reception between you and the transmitter. If you're able to slightly adjust the antenna (up/down/left/right) you may be able to find it again. That's how it worked for me.
post #8526 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 119
It's far more likely to be something nearby that is electrically noisy combined with the indoor location and the very weak VHF signals.
post #8527 of 8528 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
38 was working again last night. I hope they can keep it together this time....

Also, on March 9 it looks like KODF/26 put a new channel called "Sherril" or something on 26.3. Was airing infomercials when I looked at it last night. But changing the channel name broke Bob's graphs for KODF again, so now none of KODF/26, KVFW/38, or KATA/50 look right....
Quote:
And today all three are straightened out! I'm especially impressed that KVFW is reporting again: that should mean they finally have their PSIP problems fixed.
"Sherril" seems to be religious programming now. The infomercials may just be used to fill time between the religious shows.

Anyone else notice that whatever channel replaced Retro on 31.4 has itself been replaced with Hot TV? So now Hot TV is on 31.2, 31.3, and 31.4: rolleyes:
post #8528 of 8528 Unread Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Anyone else notice that whatever channel replaced Retro on 31.4 has itself been replaced with Hot TV? So now Hot TV is on 31.2, 31.3, and 31.4: rolleyes:
Not much would surprise me with 31 (and 38 too). They run those like part-time hobbies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page