66Likes

post #8641 of 8652 Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
No reason the LG should be that way unless it has a defective VHF tuner section.
This assumes that it has separate VHF and UHF tuners. Tuner chip sets tend to be all in one affairs these days.

Signal loss in coax cable depends on frequency so there is less loss at VHF frequencies, making it more likely that you could overload the RF front end. There are a number of ways to test that idea. I keep some attenuators around for just this purpose. Just as easy is to connect a really bad antenna, like a 3 foot wire, to the input.

I just tried that here and WFAA came in fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 8652 Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
This assumes that it has separate VHF and UHF tuners. Tuner chip sets tend to be all in one affairs these days.
Yep they don't make'em like they used to. The few integrated tuner chips I have looked at will probably have some sort of VHF low-VHF high-UHF band filtering.

For example if something was defective between pins 32 and 33 the VHF High tracking filter circuit ...

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 08-15-2017 at 05:54 PM.
post #8643 of 8652 Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks guys. I'll report back tomorrow. The amp is separate, so I'll disconnect in the morning. I'm also tempted to go to a nearby big box and see if they can get WFAA digital. If they can't, it would indicate a failure with these units. If they can receive on their set, my tuner is bad.

How do I post tvfool? Do I post a screen shot, or post a link?
Thanks again!

post #8644 of 8652 Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by texski View Post
How do I post tvfool? Do I post a screen shot, or post a link?
Thanks again!
Either one will work but the link is easier. Once you bring up your TVFool.com report, the link should be right there on the page in bold, ready to copy and paste. Here's mine, for instance: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4c6b638ccf8

That hex string on the end encodes your address, so you can share a TVFool report for your exact location without revealing it to the world.
texski likes this.
post #8645 of 8652 Old 08-16-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'll report back tomorrow.
Did you happen to notice if the LG added 28.x and 52.x channels? They transmit on VHF high like Ch 8.1.
post #8646 of 8652 Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you happen to notice if the LG added 28.x and 52.x channels? They transmit on VHF high like Ch 8.1.
He mentioned "DTV 9;" I took that to mean it didn't add 52.x:
Quote:
Just a couple of days ago I bought this OLED and was hoping you all might be able to shed some light. I hooked this up to my attic antenna and this LG will not auto tune or manually recognize 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 or dtv 9.
... unless maybe he was looking for some 9.x channels?
post #8647 of 8652 Old 08-17-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
As of 5 PM I'm seeing a signal on RF 10! It is indeed KHPK/28. Same lineup as before; they have successfully moved to VHF.

Now with luck, they'll turn 31 back on and/or switch 22 to digital sometime before 50 goes away.

Also, we get to see if they can configure the channel share with KODF. Once they get that done they can turn off KODF's transmitter on RF 27.
Well, now that the hard part is done, neither of the two things I expected to happen pretty quickly have actually happened yet:

1. 31 is still off the air
  2. KODF isn't sharing RF 10. RF 27 is still on the air

Not sure what the hold-up is. Did they have to remove channel 31's antenna? It was only 10 meters (33 feet) above the new RF 10 antenna. I don't know how tall these antennas are.

If they did remove it, is 31 gone for good? I don't see any new applications for them on the FCC query.
post #8648 of 8652 Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
51 is still off the air.

KHFD has a CP to move to RF 13, but there's no signal there either.

KHFD doesn't broadcast my kind of programming so it's no big deal for me, but if they're expecting their viewers to tune to K26KC instead, they're going to lose a lot of them. K26KC is barely receivable in many places were KHFD came in just fine.
Quote:
Maybe KHFD is waiting on their new VHF-Hi antenna and transmitter? I would think a move from UHF 51 down to VHF 13 would require all new transmitting equipment.
Quote:
I'm sure it would. But they've had the RF 13 construction permit for a long time. I wouldn't expect them to turn off the RF 51 transmitter before the new RF 13 one was ready.

So I'm thinking something else must be wrong. Maybe they had an equipment failure and brought the transmitter down for repairs. I haven't heard anything though; just speculating.

Edit: As of tonight KHFD is back on RF 51.
Those old posts include a mistake on my part: I forgot to check the proposed location for KHFD's RF 13 antenna. Turns out it's exactly the same spot on the same tower as their RF 51 antenna.

Their CP survived the spectrum auction and repacking assignments, and RabbitEars.info is now showing that they will move to RF 13. But it looks like they will have to shut down for a while to replace the antenna, just as channel 28 did.

One more thing: K26KC, owned by the same religious broadcaster as KHFD, is also at the exact same spot on the same tower, so they'll probably be gone too, just as K31GL went away when KHPK moved. No big loss since K26KC and KHFD carry the exact same programming, and K26KC is barely receivable anyway, but interesting because RF 26 is one of a precious few UHF channels that will be vacant after repacking. Also, KTEN in Oklahoma will be moving from RF 26 as part of the repacking, so it looks like in DFW, RF 26 will be available for a 15kW low-power TV station after repacking.
post #8649 of 8652 Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Also, KTEN in Oklahoma will be moving from RF 26 as part of the repacking, so it looks like in DFW, RF 26 will be available
WFAA should take advantage of that and get on a much easier to receive signal.
post #8650 of 8652 Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately KXXV in Waco is remaining on RF 26, so it's not a good choice for WFAA. Right now they reach almost all the way to Waco; on RF 26 they'd have to put in a directional antenna and would lose all their viewers to the south.

Most of the displaced LPTVs already have directional signals though, so RF 26 would be no problem for them.
post #8651 of 8652 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
This is related to watching TV, but not so much OTA, but possibly on some OTA channels:

The 2017 Total Eclipse of the Sun (75% in DFW) Monday, August 21, 2017

Ways to watch the Total Eclipse Live through NASA

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive/#NA...Public+Channel

In Dallas, start time is 11:40am
75% Maximum at 1:09pm
End Time 2:39pm

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #8652 of 8652 Old Today, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

See The (partial) Light ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page