68Likes

post #8671 of 8692 Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
I haven't noticed any particular audio distortion on 21.2 but I recall someone else mentioned that a while back. I will listen closer. (Batman and Svengoolie sounded fine last Sat.)

Only thing odd I see with 21.2 is when the go back to the MeTV network after local insertion of ads, it takes about a second or two to sync back up. I guess their time bases aren't locked or sync'd together or close enough to lock fast without seeing it.

Watching 27.4 now for 10 min and not one glitch seen. 98-100 signal in NW Dallas. If you see that on other stations too maybe a local interference source.
Thank you ed_in_tx.

I've noticed the audio distortion on Leave It to Beaver and The Outer Limits.

The visual noise pattern seems to show up after changing to 27.4. I'll have to see if I can capture an image some time and determine if it happens on both devices or is exclusive to one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 8692 Old 09-06-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
[KWDA/30 d]ied again today, at about 10:45 AM.

Edit: Still off the air as of Sept. 4. Not that I really expected them to work on it over the long weekend.
Came back on about 11 AM today, 6 days almost to the hour after they went off. Still on RF 21. Maybe the staff just decided to shut down and take a vacation over the long weekend
post #8673 of 8692 Old 09-07-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Well, it looks like KATA (channel 50) went off the air today at about 10:35 AM. Probably for good (unless they just had a technical glitch of some sort).

Channel 31 never came back after shutting down for KHPK to move to RF 10. So it looks like the only source left for Hot TV is channel 22's snowy analog signal.
K31GL apparently will be off for a while. The FCC has granted them silent status authority. The issue is the repack. K31GL was in a combined UHF broadband array with co-owned KHPK-LD. To accomplish KHPK-LD's rebuild to VHF, the UHF panel shared between them was removed and replaced with KHPK-LD's VHF antenna. So, K31GL will be off until either they get a new UHF antenna or it is rebuilt on a new post-repack channel, according to their filing.

post #8674 of 8692 Old 09-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldevns View Post
That's incorrect. KDFI is still a My Network TV station and will still run their programming.
They have, however, shifted My Network TV to 8-10pm instead of 7-9pm.

The Fox 4 More designation is just branding, likely to more closely align it with its sister station.
Correct. Fox has been rebranding their second stations to a variant of the co-owned Fox station in the market. Independent KICU 36 was rebranded "KTVU Plus" after sister Fox affiliate KTVU 2 in San Francisco. MyNetworkTV KUTP 45 Phoenix is now "Fox 10 Xtra" after co-owned KSAZ 10. My WDCA 20 Washington is now "Fox 5 Plus" after co-owned WTTG 5. My WFTC 29 Minneapolis is now "Fox 9+" after co-owned KMSP 9 there.

All those other stations got newscasts from the sister Fox stations as part of the rebranding. KSAZ has a on-line stream called "Fox 10 News Now" during the work day that now simulcasts on KUTP for a couple of hours. The other stations got newscasts branded after the Fox station in hours where the Fox station doesn't run news. So, it will be interesting to see if Fox puts a new Fox 4-branded newscast on KDFI at some point (maybe a 7PM newscast since the My programming got timeshifted to 8-10?).
post #8675 of 8692 Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKelley View Post
K31GL apparently will be off for a while.... K31GL was in a combined UHF broadband array with co-owned KHPK-LD. To accomplish KHPK-LD's rebuild to VHF, the UHF panel shared between them was removed and replaced with KHPK-LD's VHF antenna. So, K31GL will be off until either they get a new UHF antenna or it is rebuilt on a new post-repack channel, according to their filing.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I suspected. K31GL and KHPK were both at 330 meters on the same tower, and the new KHPK VHF antenna is at 320 meters, so I figured the antenna at 330 meters probably had to go.

What surprised me is that they killed both K31GL and KATA (who sold their license in the auction) without moving Hot-TV to another channel on one of their other stations (KHPK, KODF, and KJJM are still on the air) and without waiting for KNAV to switch to digital. Doesn't seem like the best planning.

K31GL does have an old CP to operate on RF 33 using KODF's antenna. Theoretically, that CP should have been cancelled years ago, but the FCC Query still lists it, so I suppose that would be one option for them to get back on before mid-2019 . Edit: Looking through the LMS search, seems they tried that already and were rebuffed by the FCC. Don't know why the old CP still shows up on the query.

I suppose they could refile for essentially the same CP; after all, the circumstances that justified the original CP still exist (they would have less ACI on RF 33 than on RF 31). But I don't mind if they stay off the air, as long as Mako puts Hot-TV on a digital channel somewhere.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-14-2017 at 09:00 AM.
post #8676 of 8692 Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know most folks in Dallas can't receive it anyway, but it looks like KPFW/18's transmitter is frying. Shortly after 5PM it started shutting down, then starting back up for a short while, then shutting down again. The intervals between restarts are getting longer too.

Edit: Looks like it gave up the ghost completely about 5:30 Wed. morning.
Edit 2: And it looks like they turned the transmitter back on very early Thurs. morning, but I can't get a lock. I wonder if the engineer who "fixed" it is the same one who works on KVFW's equipment?
Edit 3: Finally got it working again about 11:30 this morning.
Edit 4: Oops - not quite. Died again about 4:30.
Edit 5: Popped back on very briefly very early Sunday AM, then they were gone again.

I don't understand what's going on with KPFW. When it's working, I actually see a slight drop in signal strength. It's almost as if they're trying to broadcast from two locations (which doesn't work with ATSC 1.0), and I only get them when one transmitter shuts off! Surely that's not what's happening?

Edit 6: OK, this time for sure? Looks like they fixed it - again - about 3:15 PM today, 9/27. Holding so far....

I think I figured it out. There was indeed a second transmitter involved; believe it or not, it was KTVT on RF 19! Figured it out by comparing 10-day signal strength graphs for RF 18, 19, and 20.

On the afternoon of 9/20, when I posted Edit 2 above, KTVT's signal strength went up from its usual 90-something to a full 100. At the exact same time, the signal strength on RF 18 appeared to jump, but I couldn't lock anything. I had assumed that KPFW had turned on their transmitter but had goofed it up somehow. Apparently, though, that was just noise from KTVT's signal overloading my preamp or something.

On 9/22, KTVT temporarily went back to normal, and KPFW started working again. Then KTVT went back up to 100 and I lost KPFW again (edits 3 and 4 above). And today, KTVT went back to normal again and sure enough, KPFW came back again.

The clincher was the signal graph for RF 20. The signal strength has been roughly constant but the signal quality drops at exactly the same times that KTVT's signal went to 100.

Now I wish I knew what's been going on with KTVT and whether it has stabilized for good.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-27-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #8677 of 8692 Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, it looks like KATA (channel 50) went off the air....

Channel 31 never came back after shutting down for KHPK to move to RF 10. So it looks like the only source left for Hot TV is channel 22's snowy analog signal.
And now channel 22 is gone too, so we can't even watch Hot TV in analog now. Hot TV never appeared on any of Mako's remaining signals in the area.

From raw signal strength readings, there seems to be "something" on RF 22, but I can't get either a digital or watchable analog signal. So maybe they just suffered an equipment failure (like channel 18) and will be back soon; I don't know.

BTW, Retro & Rev'n on channel 38 are still limping along, albeit with no PSIP and occasional satellite reception glitches....
post #8678 of 8692 Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
On the afternoon of 9/20, when I posted Edit 2 above, KTVT's signal strength went up from its usual 90-something to a full 100. At the exact same time, the signal strength on RF 18 appeared to jump, but I couldn't lock anything. I had assumed that KPFW had turned on their transmitter but had goofed it up somehow. Apparently, though, that was just noise from KTVT's signal overloading my preamp or something.

On 9/22, KTVT temporarily went back to normal, and KPFW started working again. Then KTVT went back up to 100 and I lost KPFW again (edits 3 and 4 above). And today, KTVT went back to normal again and sure enough, KPFW came back again.

The clincher was the signal graph for RF 20. The signal strength has been roughly constant but the signal quality drops at exactly the same times that KTVT's signal went to 100.

Now I wish I knew what's been going on with KTVT and whether it has stabilized for good.
I have not been able to pull in KTVT at all today. My antenna is in the attic, so it's position has not changed.

Do I need to rescan KTVT???

Maybe I'll try that later...

-----------------------------
I did try later, at 1150pm, and I was once again receiving CH. 11...

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 09-30-2017 at 12:10 AM.
post #8679 of 8692 Old 09-30-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know what's going on with KTVT reception. At my home it's always come in fine, even when it was "weak;" but yesterday around 3:30 PM it went back to "full-strength" again, so strong it's knocking KPFW/18 out again. If their signal is somewhat weaker at your home than at mine, then that could've made enough difference to let you receive them again.

I suppose they may have been switching between their main and auxiliary transmitters - the latter is somewhat weaker - but if so I don't understand why I don't see on, say, Bob's graphs, signal strength changes similar to the ones I see here?

OTOH, if it's something in or around my home, why is KTVT the only station affected?
post #8680 of 8692 Old 10-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Cunningham (Sinclair) is buying KTXD

Quote:
Cunningham Broadcasting, which operates sidecar stations for the Sinclair Broadcast Group, has agreed to purchase independent KTXD Dallas from London Broadcasting for $9.5 million.

The purchase, along with the approval of Sinclair’s merger with Tribune, would give Sinclair a duopoly in Dallas. Tribune owns CW affiliate KDAF there.

The deal confirms rumors that Sinclair has been trying to buy low-cost independent in major markets.

Sources say that Sinclair plans on using the second stations as so-called lighthouse stations during the transition to the ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard.

When the Sinclair main stations move to ATSC 3.0, it will simulcast on the lighthouse stations in the current ATSC 1.0 standard so as not to disrupt service to people watching over the air with ATSC 1.0 sets.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/1...buys-dallas-tv
post #8681 of 8692 Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's something I hadn't considered: the rules around the non-mandatory transition to ATSC 3.0 produce an incentive for owners who do want to transition, like Sinclair, to buy second stations in as many markets as possible, so they can transition without partnering with another owner. The result will be increased ownership concentration: there may be many stations in a market, but not many owners.

BTW, Sinclair's bid to purchase Tribune should be illegal to start with. Federal law limits a conglomerate to reaching 39% of US TV viewers, and both Sinclair and Tribune are already at that limit. But FCC Chairman Ajit Pai resurrected an obsolete analog-era rule called the "UHF Discount," apparently to create a loophole for Sinclair:
Quote:
Chairman Pai and Commissioner Mike O'Rielly also voted over Commissioner Clyburn's dissent to reinstate an obsolete rule called the UHF discount that, since the U.S. transition to digital television in 2009, had functioned as nothing more than a loophole allowing broadcast conglomerates to exceed Congressionally-mandated national television coverage limits.

Until the loophole was removed by the agency in 2016, the FCC counted a UHF station’s viewership reach as only half as much as a VHF full-power station. It used that UHF discounted figure as a means to determine whether a broadcaster’s nationwide coverage fell under the the agency’s 39 percent national audience reach ownership cap.
That's right: for purposes of the cap, the FCC only counts a UHF station as half a station now! How ridiculous.
post #8682 of 8692 Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 PM

One would guess, Sinclair’s diginet Stadium will finally clear D/FW as one of KTXD’s subchannels. KTXD already clears Sinclair’s Comet on 47.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8683 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At present, Stadium is on 18.4, but almost nobody in DFW receives that station - including me, since KTVT boosted their transmitter power!

(I'm guessing KTVT had been on their auxiliary transmitter for a while, and went back to their main one; but whatever they did, it pushed KPFW/18 over the cliff at my home.)

You're probably right; Stadium will probably replace one of 47's other subchannels (hopefully not LATV on 47.3 though), and I won't have to worry about channel 18 any more.

But ATSC 1.0 viewers will probably lose big when Sinclair switches KDAF to 3.0. Right now there are three diginets on those two channels in English (Antenna, This, and Comet) and one in Spanish (LATV), with one more on the way (Stadium). All that won't fit on an ATSC 1.0 station with two HD channels, and I'm guessing Sinclair will favor their own content. So it's probably goodbye to Antenna, This, and LATV unless you upgrade to 3.0

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-03-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #8684 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Antenna and This are owned by Tribune. Tribune would be purchased outright by Sinclair, if the deal is completed. Why would Antenna and This not end up as Sinclair properties?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8685 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Sinclair also owns the Charge and TBD diginets, which will likely end up on KTXD. When the repack is done and ATSC 3.0 service begins, I think this is what we'll see:

RF 32 (ATSC 3.0)
33.1 KDAF 1080p
33.2 Antenna 480i
33.3 This 480i
47.1 KTXD 1080p
47.2 Comet 480i
47.3 Charge 480i
47.4 TBD 480i
47.5 Stadium 480i

RF 23 (ATSC 1.0 lighthouse)
33.1 KDAF 480i
33.2 Antenna 480i
33.3 This 480i
47.1 KTXD 480i
47.2 Comet 480i
47.3 Charge 480i
47.4 TBD 480i
47.5 Stadium 480i
post #8686 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cannon View Post
Sinclair also owns the Charge and TBD diginets, which will likely end up on KTXD. When the repack is done and ATSC 3.0 service begins, I think this is what we'll see:

RF 32 (ATSC 3.0)
33.1 KDAF 1080p
33.2 Antenna 480i
33.3 This 480i
47.1 KTXD 1080p
47.2 Comet 480i
47.3 Charge 480i
47.4 TBD 480i
47.5 Stadium 480i

33.1 KDAF 480i
33.2 Antenna 480i
33.3 This 480i
47.1 KTXD 480i
47.2 Comet 480i
47.3 Charge 480i
47.4 TBD 480i
47.5 Stadium 480i
Yes, they could fit in all their subchannels if they drop the .1 channels to SD. I'm not sure that's allowed though; I'll have to check with the folks on the ATSC 3.0 thread.

What is TBD? I thought it meant "To be determined"
post #8687 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, they could fit in all their subchannels if they drop the .1 channels to SD. I'm not sure that's allowed though; I'll have to check with the folks on the ATSC 3.0 thread.

What is TBD? I thought it meant "To be determined"
I think the rule is that 3.0 has to replicate 1.0 service. I don't think that prevents 3.0 from providing that service in a higher quality than 1.0.

This is TBD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBD_(TV_network)
post #8688 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the rule is that 3.0 has to replicate 1.0 service. I don't think that prevents 3.0 from providing that service in a higher quality than 1.0.[/URL]
Well, after wasting way too much time reviewing the ATSC 3.0 thread, it appears:

• The ATSC 3.0 rule isn't finalized yet and is still taking public comments
  • There is a big debate on ATSC 1.0 requirements. Cable, satellite, and consumer groups argue that stations shouldn't be allowed to degrade ATSC 1.0 picture quality. If that suggestion were adopted, Sinclair could improve the quality of 33.1 and 47.1 on the ATSC 3.0 station to, say, 1080p60, but they couldn't reduce it on the ATSC 1.0 station below where it is currently.
  • But the broadcasters, naturally, want no such restrictions. So we'll see what the FCC does. Given the current commissioners' very strong bias against anything that could be characterized as "big gummint regulation," I'd bet on them siding with the broadcasters, in which case Sinclair will be allowed to degrade 33.1 and 47.1 on their ATSC 1.0 station.

But I guess in the end, it doesn't matter. If you try to cram two ATSC 1.0 stations onto one ATSC 1.0 channel, something has to give! We'll either lose PQ or subchannels; probably some combination of both.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-03-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Change "on" to "one"
post #8689 of 8692 Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news, bad news

Mako made some programming changes today:

• 34.7 now has programming (good): it's The Country Network. Not something I particularly care about, but my wife will probably like it.
  • 22 (not Mako owned, but I believe Mako operated) is back (good)! Still analog, though (bad); and the programming is now Jewelry TV (worse). I guess "History Of Television" is itself history
  • 28.5 changed from a black screen to a green screen (). Also, the call letters on 28.5 through 28.9 now correctly read KHPK-LD (good, I guess), although none have programming beyond solid green or red screens.

In other news, KTVT seems to have switched back to their weaker transmitter this afternoon (good for me, as I'm getting KPFW again).
post #8690 of 8692 Old 10-05-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

RF 32 (ATSC 3.0)
33.1 KDAF 1080p
33.2 Antenna 480i
33.3 This 480i
47.1 KTXD 1080p
47.2 Comet 480i
47.3 Charge 480i
47.4 TBD 480i
47.5 Stadium 480i

33.1 KDAF 480i
33.2 Antenna 480i
33.3 This 480i
47.1 KTXD 480i
47.2 Comet 480i
47.3 Charge 480i
47.4 TBD 480i
47.5 Stadium 480i
Quote:
Yes, they could fit in all their subchannels if they drop the .1 channels to SD.
Well, I may have been too pessimistic. Just saw this article linked at the ATSC 3.0 thread:
Quote:
A test last week conducted by the PBS Member Station Joint Master Control in Syracuse, N.Y., and broadcast equipment vendor Evertz demonstrated that it is possible to put two 1080i HD and four 480i SD streams on air in a single 6 MHz DTV channel.

While not a revolutionary accomplishment, the demonstration underscored that incremental advancements in MPEG-2 encoding efficiency and statistical multiplexing (stat mux) continue to be made and that those improvements will make it easier for two stations to share a single channel.
So theoretically, they could keep the .1's at 1080i and just drop 47.4 and 47.5; or perhaps they could even put both .1's at 720p and keep all the subchannels.

Edit: Another possibility would be to simulcast the .1's using two different codecs: MPEG-2 (which is what everyone uses now) in SD and MPEG-4 (rarely used, but it is part of the ATSC 1.0 standard) in HD. Everyone would get the SD version, and most HD viewers would get the HD version too as MPEG-4 is included in most newer TVs/STBs to support streaming and/or media player functions. (I suspect there would be too few HD viewers whose equipment can't handle MPEG-4 to worry about.) I believe that would support at least 7 subchannels (all SD) along with the two HD simulcasts of the .1's.

Whether they'll do any of that or not, I don't know; but at least the possibility exists if Sinclair is willing to pay for state-of-the-art equipment.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-14-2017 at 04:56 PM.
post #8691 of 8692 Old 10-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
[*]22 (not Mako owned, but I believe Mako operated) is back (good)! Still analog, though (bad); and the programming is now Jewelry TV (worse). I guess "History Of Television" is itself history
HOT-TV posted something to their Facebook page in September. They're not coming back, this year at least:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...%3A%22R2%22%7D
post #8692 of 8692 Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who would rather not click through, here's what they posted:
Quote:
Channels 31 and 50 were casualties of the FCC Spectrum Auction. Since they were low power stations they were not protected and will now be used for cellphone and broadband use. 31 is being used by a full power now (with a different virtual channel number) and 50 is just shutdown for broadband, cellphone. As a result, there is no room for Hot TV in Dallas/Fort Worth. There is a possibility for Hot TV to return to this market but not this year.
That's not quite correct - 50 was protected but sold their license in the auction, and 31 won't be used for a full-power station until next year 2019, but (as was explained previously on this thread) lost their shared antenna with KHPK/28 when the latter moved to VHF.

And they didn't even mention channel 22, although as an analog station, I suppose that's understandable.

Also, there's plenty of room for Hot TV on KHPK/28, which has five vacant subchannels. I left a Facebook comment to that effect. I didn't mention that Mako has HSN, HSN2, Shop LC, Guide US TV, and SonLife on two channels each. (I doubt Mako is getting top dollar for all those simulcasts.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page