Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Dallas, TX - HDTV
kny3twalker's Avatar kny3twalker 10:00 PM 08-23-2005
Quote:

Odd. I don't have any problem with my FusionHDTV 3 Gold QAM receiving FOX.

I wondered if it was a driver issue
my Sony TV picks up FOX HD just fine

FL2TX's Avatar FL2TX 11:39 AM 08-25-2005
Hello all, New to both Texas and the forums. We recently bought a new HD ready tv and then I went out and got an LG 3510A STB. We put up a radio shack 160" boom uhf/vhf antenna and there was already an amp mounted in the attic from the previous owner. We live up on the hills near Whitewright(about 16 miles SE of Sherman)and the antenna is nearly 40 feet off the gound mounted to the chimney. Once we got the antenna pointed according to antennaweb we were getting 25 channels! Alot better than the TWO local channels provided by my sat dish!

Now of course here is the strange part. I cannot get a signal on the stb for WFAA . But if we connect the antenna directly to the tv and rotate the antenna about 15 degrees east of the cedar hill area(202* is where it is normally positioned), We get a very nice clear picture. What gives? I know I am roughly 70 plus miles from the tower but how is it that we get the signal on just the antenna and amp but no signal at all on the stb? All our other channels come in very well, With signals at about 70-80%. There are a few that coming fuzzy but they are mostly auction channels or a few of the spanish channels we don't watch anyway.

If needed, I could post a list of the channels.

I'm really confused as I'm about a week into HDTV and learnig more every minute! I found this site a few days ago and have spent more time reading posts than actually watching my HD! So much to learn here!
hankh's Avatar hankh 11:47 AM 08-25-2005
It is very possible that something is overloading the front end of your STB. I would suspect this because you can receive the signal without the preamp. I live 90 miles from the Dallas stations and 85 miles from Shreveport stations and find I have to use a 10 dB pad to cut down on the number of drop outs due to overloading.
rkhobbit's Avatar rkhobbit 01:16 PM 08-25-2005
If overloading is the case, then would eliminating the pre-amp and connecting the antenna directly to the STB resolve overload conditions? Does the pre-amp have an FM trap? Try and change the FM trap from OUT to IN or vice-versa.

One option is to buy and install a dedicated VHF antenna and point it to where you get the best WFAA digital signal. Then combine it with a CM 777 pre-amp. I live in McKinney, about 46 miles North of Cedar Hill. In order for me to get WFAA (VHF) I had to go with 2 antenna's in my attic. A high gain UHF antenna combined with a dedicated high gain VHF antenna (designed to pick up the higher end VHF frequencies). I used a CM 777 pre-amp which allows for combining separate VHF and UHF antennas. For this to work I had to eliminate the FM signals by using the FM trap selector on the CM 777 pre-amp.
hankh's Avatar hankh 01:29 PM 08-25-2005
Connecting the antenna to the STB without a preamp does eliminate the overloading problem, but there may not be enough signal to decode. Often times, the pre amp is too powerful for the application and some STBs, notably the LG and Zenith, are very sensitive to overloading from nearby FM signals.

In my case and at my distance, no pre amp would result in no Dallas or Shreveport signals. A pre amp, tempered by a 10 dB pad, produces the kind of results I expect.
rkhobbit's Avatar rkhobbit 04:41 PM 08-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankh View Post

It is very possible that something is overloading the front end of your STB. I would suspect this because you can receive the signal without the preamp. I live 90 miles from the Dallas stations and 85 miles from Shreveport stations and find I have to use a 10 dB pad to cut down on the number of drop outs due to overloading.

Hank,

What is the definition of dropouts? Is it when you see some periodic digitalization artifacts or pixelations? If yes then I get intermittent artifacts (1 every 5-10 minutes or so) and maybe I can benefit by adding an attenuator. How did you come to using a 10 dB versus a 3 dB or 6 dB attenuator? Trial and error?
FL2TX's Avatar FL2TX 08:29 PM 08-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankh View Post

Connecting the antenna to the STB without a preamp does eliminate the overloading problem, but there may not be enough signal to decode. Often times, the pre amp is too powerful for the application and some STBs, notably the LG and Zenith, are very sensitive to overloading from nearby FM signals.

In my case and at my distance, no pre amp would result in no Dallas or Shreveport signals. A pre amp, tempered by a 10 dB pad, produces the kind of results I expect.

Oops, Guess I should have been more specific. I only get WFAA on the antenna when the pre amp is on. So basically, My connections are: Antenna to preamp, To LG STB, looped out of STB to co-ax on the tv. This is how I am able to get WFAA with the OTA antenna, But I cannot get the stb to receive any signal at all. I just tune the tv to ch 8 and WFAA comes in clear. If I take out the preamp it gets very fuzzy/snowy. But no matter what, The stb will not pick up WFAA.
Does WFAA broadcast at differant power levels for regular tv broadcast vs HD content? If so, could that be my problem?
I'm going to look into the FM trap. I know there isn't one on the pre amp I currently have. At least it doesn't say so. The 10db attenuator seems like it may be worth a try as well. So many things to learn!
rkhobbit's Avatar rkhobbit 07:30 AM 08-26-2005
Sounds like your STB is not picking up the digital 8-1 channel for WFAA. When you turned your antenna and got WFAA, was that a good HD digital signal through your STB or was that a SD signal only picked up by your TV? If it is the latter then your antenna is simply not picking up the VHF HD signal from WFAA. All other HD signals come in via UHF.

My understanding is that VHF signals are strong but subject to lots of interference. I think you may have to opt for a dedicated VHF antenna.
Xesdeeni's Avatar Xesdeeni 07:38 AM 08-26-2005
Low VHF is subject to enough interference that almost no station has opted to live there once the digital changeover is complete (there was a statistical breakdown, and in the entire country, there were only a handful...but I don't have the link). But high VHF doesn't suffer nearly as much, but it has the huge benefit of getting a great deal more coverage from a significantly lower power output, meaning lower electricity bills. And remember that at least two other stations will be moving back to high VHF (11 and 13). So VHF is here to stay.

Xesdeeni
FL2TX's Avatar FL2TX 02:32 PM 08-26-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhobbit View Post

Sounds like your STB is not picking up the digital 8-1 channel for WFAA. When you turned your antenna and got WFAA, was that a good HD digital signal through your STB or was that a SD signal only picked up by your TV? If it is the latter then your antenna is simply not picking up the VHF HD signal from WFAA. All other HD signals come in via UHF.

My understanding is that VHF signals are strong but subject to lots of interference. I think you may have to opt for a dedicated VHF antenna.

Just the SD signal through the tv w/antenna and preamp. Something tells me that this may be a futile effort to get WFAA in HD this far out! Guess I should be happy i'm able to get a clear picture on the antenna alone!
Sdallnct's Avatar Sdallnct 10:48 AM 08-27-2005
Did anyone have any luck confirming that KDFW (Fox) is broadcasting their PSIP correctly? I have sent two e-mails and left three messages.
tim552's Avatar tim552 10:49 AM 08-27-2005
Dish Network says that they have requested a waiver so that I can be allowed to be given the CBS HD signal from New York. Does anyone know if CBS 11 here in Dallas usually grants the waiver?
alangant's Avatar alangant 03:18 PM 08-27-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim552 View Post

Dish Network says that they have requested a waiver so that I can be allowed to be given the CBS HD signal from New York. Does anyone know if CBS 11 here in Dallas usually grants the waiver?

If you look on DishNetwork's website, you will find a list of areas that can automatically qualify for the national CBS HD feed. They are cities whose stations are owned by the parent company, Metromedia? Dallas is one, and I now get the CBS HD east feed. I sent an email to Dish and it appeared later. (You do need a Dish pointed at 61.5, by the way.)

Now, I need an antenna to get everything else OTA.
ArchStanton's Avatar ArchStanton 04:59 PM 08-27-2005
Not sure if this is the right area. I have had problems with the Comcast Cable TV signal for over 3 weeks. No HD and other channels look poor. After numerous phone calls and 2 technician visits, who both were to write work orders for line work, the problem has not been fixed. Now they are sending another tech out "since thats all they can do". Is there any way to contact somebody at Comcast that can provide technical information on why this problem can't be fixed.
rkhobbit's Avatar rkhobbit 05:22 PM 08-27-2005
Quote:

I live in McKinney and DirecTV sent in a waiver for me requesting SAT HD channels ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX out of NY. Was granted all but ABC.
tim552's Avatar tim552 08:47 PM 08-27-2005
I've been told that the local channels in Dallas will be available in HD via Dish Network early in '06.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me. Anyone have any hard facts on this?
bavaria72's Avatar bavaria72 05:09 PM 08-30-2005
Quote:

I've been told that the local channels in Dallas will be available in HD via Dish Network early in '06.

This sounds like wishful thinking to me. Anyone have any hard facts on this?

I would be surprised if that happens. E* has to move to MPEG4 before they will start adding HD locals. They just don't have enough bandwidth on their birds. My bet is they won't really offer any locals in HD until they start offering an MPEG4 receiver (replacement for the 942). Maybe Mid 06. And then it will only be the top 10 or 25 markets initially. Of course that will include the DFW area.
mrackers's Avatar mrackers 07:47 AM 08-31-2005
Is there any word on KDFI 27 and broadcasting HD content?

I know that they have a digital signal, but they don't have HD content. I am anxious to see Hockey this season in HD and I know that most games will be on 27.
balthrop's Avatar balthrop 08:19 PM 09-01-2005
WWL-TV New Orleans is owned by Belo, the same people that own WFAA-TV here in Dallas. Belo has dropped it's weather radar feed on WFAA-DT2 for a simulcast of WWL-TV's coverage of the disaster.
Sdallnct's Avatar Sdallnct 11:16 AM 09-03-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Did anyone have any luck confirming that KDFW (Fox) is broadcasting their PSIP correctly? I have sent two e-mails and left three messages.

Just a heads up, I ordered a 2nd Voom box on ebay cheap (as it had no remote, cable) but I verified before ordering that it had the last firm ware. That did the trick! I know get all major channels including KDFW with no problem. I didn't think having a more up to date FW would make a difference as they both had the ability to scan for channels, but whatever, it worked and now a happy camper!!!
birdog's Avatar birdog 12:01 AM 09-04-2005
maybe you guys can help out.

i had wfaa for the longest time but a few months ago it just dissapeared. I was told that they reset the pids? or whatever they call it and that i had to do a re-scan. I've done this multiple times and still am yet to receive the signal. what did i do wrong. What should i do?

any help would be appreciated.. Thanks
DubC's Avatar DubC 09:52 PM 09-05-2005
Birdog,

Have you tried this?

Disconnect your Ant cable from your TV or other device and scan for channels. Obviously it will find none. Then reconnect the Ant cable and scan again.
birdog's Avatar birdog 03:49 PM 09-06-2005
hello,

thanks for the response. I have done what you suggested and i'm still having the same problem as before.

there must be something i can do differently

thanks,
birdog
DubC's Avatar DubC 05:20 PM 09-06-2005
Only other thing I can think of is to Reset the TV. Unplug the Ant cable and do a reset...then plug the Ant cable back in and do a rescan.

What kind of TV do you have?

Have you tried posting this issue in a thread regarding your TV type?
FL2TX's Avatar FL2TX 07:06 PM 09-06-2005
Just wondering how many other D* network customers in the Sherman/Denison area have channels 8400(WFAA-abc) and 8403(KDFW-fox) as of today or have had them in the past?

I was told we could not get a waiver for WFAA here in Whitewright(just east of sherman) about two weeks ago by D* customer service. But when I turned on the receiver this morning these two new channels appear in my list Is this just for the holiday week or are they here to stay?
jer88's Avatar jer88 06:58 AM 09-10-2005
DirecTV came and installed the Winegard antenna a few weeks ago on the roof of my townhome and I'm having some problems picking up local stations. The line is diplexed from the antenna to the receiver. When I plug the line into my Ant In on my HR10-250, I get no OTA signal strength and no channels when I scan. However, when I plug the line directly into my television's tuner, I pick up most of the local stations. I don't want to invest in buying a more powerful antenna since locals will be available to our market in the next few months. Does anybody have a solution so I can pick up these stations with my Tivo receiver? Thanks in advance!
destrada's Avatar destrada 12:18 PM 09-10-2005
I live an hour SE of Austin and may be moving to the DFW area soon. Our local ABC station is owned by BELO just as WFAA is. I just want to know if WFAA upconverts all the 720p programming that ABC feeds it to 1080i just as KVUE in Austin does. It leads to an inferior picture because of the extra conversion. I've heard that BELO mandates that their station conform to 1080i regardless of their network affiliation. Is this true in Dallas as well?
Thomas Desmond's Avatar Thomas Desmond 10:09 PM 09-10-2005
Yes, WFAA in Dallas also does this.
Xesdeeni's Avatar Xesdeeni 07:43 AM 09-12-2005
Hey, what's up with UPN 21 and the gray bars again?

Xesdeeni
Xesdeeni's Avatar Xesdeeni 07:45 AM 09-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Yes, WFAA in Dallas also does this.

I'd love for us viewers to start pressuring BELO to drop this requirement. It's ridiculous, decreases quality, and makes the second subchannel impact the main image that much more.

Who do we contact? Is anyone else interested in creating a customer-driven groundswell?

Xesdeeni
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop