9Likes

post #991 of 7547 Old 10-10-2005, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post

Once again, is it a VHF antenna? Generally indoor antennas have "ears" for VHF, and without ears it sounds like you might have a UHF only antenna, which of course won't pick up VHF WFAA Channel 8...

Oh yes, I do have an antenna with rabbit ears and I am still not able to get WFAA Channel 8-1 with my indoor antenna. I assume that the HD channel for ABC is 8-1. This indoor antenna is driving me up the wall.

I am able to receive of the following channels without issue:

CBS
NBS
UPN
PBS
WB
FOX

The only one that is stressing me out is ABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 7547 Old 10-10-2005, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

It's curious that KERA wouldn't have priority over a Killeen station. Certainly it has a bigger audience, and I would assume it's an older station. Perhaps they filed with the FCC too late?

the Killeen station is on analog channel 62, digital channel 13. Since the analog is out of core, they have to stay on their digital channel or find a completely new channel. I think that is why they're getting priority for channel 13 over KERA.
post #993 of 7547 Old 10-11-2005, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Another reason KERA should have priority is that VHF costs less than UHF, and this is a PBS station, so WE pay for it :-)

Xesdeeni
post #994 of 7547 Old 10-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpal View Post

Oh yes, I do have an antenna with rabbit ears and I am still not able to get WFAA Channel 8-1 with my indoor antenna. I assume that the HD channel for ABC is 8-1. This indoor antenna is driving me up the wall.

I am able to receive of the following channels without issue:

CBS
NBS
UPN
PBS
WB
FOX

The only one that is stressing me out is ABC.

i live in rockwall... and ABC seems to be the strongest channel for me. what is your location??
post #995 of 7547 Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM

I'd like to thank jstew and 122inna55 for their replies to my questions about Dish Network HD and the 942 DVR specifically.

Sorry to be so tardy in my reply, but I was down south for a few days.

After researching DN HD & DVR for a couple of weeks, today I presented my findings to my wife, the primary reason we got a new HD TV in the first place.

As we walked through the DN HD Pak, se told me that there wasn't anything in the Pak that she really wanted to see.

That's certainly "good" news. Now I don't need to sweat getting the HD pack ($10/mo) and a DVR ($700).

Now I can go back to my garage and finish restoring my 66 Mustang GT FB.

Tim

PS: What does 122inna55 stand for ? I have visions of a drag race result.....
post #996 of 7547 Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyeo View Post

i live in rockwall... and ABC seems to be the strongest channel for me. what is your location??

I live in Lewisville and ABC seems to be an issue with me. I am looking for an indoor antenna that will work for me.
post #997 of 7547 Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

Thanks for the update.

It's curious that KERA wouldn't have priority over a Killeen station. Certainly it has a bigger audience, and I would assume it's an older station. Perhaps they filed with the FCC too late?

Xesdeeni

I don't which station this is, but Killeen stations are often Waco/Temple/Killeen, and are seen over quite a bit of Central Texas. I know when I went to school in Bryan/College Station, we watched Killeen stations. And KERA IS PBS. It is not on the top my of list of HD local channels...
post #998 of 7547 Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post

As we walked through the DN HD Pak, se told me that there wasn't anything in the Pak that she really wanted to see.

You didn't show her the 10 extra Voom HD channels did you?

OKOK, maybe she won't want Rave, but Voom is about Dish's only compelling HD content other than the standards (Discovery HD, HDNet)...
post #999 of 7547 Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't which station this is, but Killeen stations are often Waco/Temple/Killeen, and are seen over quite a bit of Central Texas. I know when I went to school in Bryan/College Station, we watched Killeen stations.

Population WACO: 103,590
Population Temple: 54,514
Population Kileen: 86,911
Total: 245,015

Population Dallas: 1,188,580

I didn't include Dallas's surrounding areas (Ft. Worth, Irving, Arlington, Plano, etc.) because I have no idea how to get this total or the total of Waco's surrounding areas. But I'd wager Dallas's surrounding cities outweigh Waco's by at least the same ratio.
Quote:

And KERA IS PBS. It is not on the top my of list of HD local channels...

Hmmm. That's the argument I was using for giving KERA priority...it's a public station, which tax dollars pay for, so as taxpayers, we should get the savings of a lower power transmitter.

Xesdeeni
post #1000 of 7547 Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I don't which station this is, but Killeen stations are often Waco/Temple/Killeen, and are seen over quite a bit of Central Texas.

It's a Spanish language station that primarily serves Austin. Used to be a WB affiliate for Waco/Temple, but they were able to move the transmitter far enough south to get into Austin and flipped to one of the Spanish networks since Austin already had the WB.
post #1001 of 7547 Old 10-13-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, there you have it. English speakers are now the minority in Texas, so channel 13 goes to the majority.

Xesdeeni
post #1002 of 7547 Old 10-13-2005, 01:09 PM

Stupid question. Anyone have a used HD tuner and antenna setup they want to sell? Or any suggestions on where to get a good/reasonably priced set? I live in north Carrollton.
post #1003 of 7547 Old 10-13-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrederick96 View Post

Stupid question. Anyone have a used HD tuner and antenna setup they want to sell? Or any suggestions on where to get a good/reasonably priced set? I live in north Carrollton.

I have a Samsung SR151 HD set top box. No antenna, I am using the one I got from Home Depot. Will sell the box for $85. You could come by to test first, as I am in Coppell (close). Let me know if you're interested.
Tom in TX
post #1004 of 7547 Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone have Charter Cable in Denton? I am wondering if their HD content is any good and if they have any kind of HD DVR. They just came to my neighborhood this year and I have been getting flyers weekly from them. The one thing they suck about is telling you the price without having to call them. Why not be like D* and just post your prices on the web.
post #1005 of 7547 Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post

Does anyone have Charter Cable in Denton? I am wondering if their HD content is any good and if they have any kind of HD DVR. They just came to my neighborhood this year and I have been getting flyers weekly from them. The one thing they suck about is telling you the price without having to call them. Why not be like D* and just post your prices on the web.

I sure hope Charter provides better service and equipment for you than they did for us here in Carrollton. I can honestly say that after having their service, I'll never go back to cable again. I switched to satellite and everything is up front. When they say they'll be there to install, they're there. Charter was a nightmare and I really, sincerely hope they've got their act together in Denton, because they don't have a clue in Carrollton. And by the way, Charter has no HD in the Carrollton area and they won't anytime soon.
post #1006 of 7547 Old 10-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Hey Jstew,

I take it that you got your HD and 942 on Tuesday.

Did they install a Dual LNB dish ?

Did you get more than a one room set-up = another non-HD receiver ?

What are your impressions of DN's HD pack and the 942 ?

Even though my wife says she isn't interested in the HD Pak, I am.

Tim
post #1007 of 7547 Old 10-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[quote=plasmar]
Sometime over the last week I lost KXAS channed 5 (frequency 41) and ONLY this channel.

I am in Richardson and have an outdoor antenna with amplifier that has been set up since the beginning of the summer. I have it hooked into a Dish 942 HD DVR. Since everything was installed, I have had no reception issues wil any channel including KXAS.

Since last week I have suddenly gotten very poor reception on KXAS. All of my other channels still have high signal strength (80 to 100). It's only Channel 5 that has gone bad.

I tried removing the channels from the 942 and rescanning with no luck. I also tried swiveling the antenna through +/- 5 or 10 degrees but I still can't pick up KXAS.

Is anyone else having issues with this channel? Has KXAS changed anything about their broadcast setup over the last few weeks that couls explain this change?

Thanks!

I have been having problems with KXAS chan 5 for the last several days as well. The signal is a weak SD. I have had a good signal and HD picture previously.
This is OTA in Plano. I rescanned my Samsung TS160 , no help.
Has anyone talked to them ?
post #1008 of 7547 Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post

... I really, sincerely hope they've got their act together in Denton, because they don't have a clue in Carrollton. And by the way, Charter has no HD in the Carrollton area and they won't anytime soon.

Same in Denton -- I've been asking for two years, and I get the same answer every time: "There are no plans to introduce HDTV programming to the Denton market at this time." My apartment situation is such that I can't put up a dish -- however, by the end of 2006, Denton is supposed to get Verizon FIOS TV service (fiber-to-the-premises), and possibly a competing cable system. So we're stuck with Charter for a while longer.

In a message over on the HDTV Hardware forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6355037), I asked about some DTV signals that my set's QAM tuner picked up, but the answer seems to indicate that it's not actual HDTV testing. If you'd like, send me a PM and I'll forward you the list of subchannels that my set picked up if you want to nose around.

One more thing: depending on where you are in town, you might be able to pick up most of the major HDTV locals using an indoor antenna (I've got a Silver Sensor with a cheap Radio Shack in-line amplifier). AntennaWeb says that it's impossible, but I'm right now getting every major network except ABC (I'd have a lot more to do to get their VHF signal). I'm considering spending some more $$$ on a better setup: ChannelMaster 7777 amp, a DB-2 indoor antenna from AntennasDirect, and maybe something else to try to get WFAA-DT on channel 9. At least I'm getting something out of my HDTV, even if Charter won't do anything.

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #1009 of 7547 Old 10-16-2005, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in TX View Post

I have a Samsung SR151 HD set top box. No antenna, I am using the one I got from Home Depot. Will sell the box for $85. You could come by to test first, as I am in Coppell (close). Let me know if you're interested.
Tom in TX

Give me an e-shout shout Tom.
post #1010 of 7547 Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswyman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmar View Post

Sometime over the last week I lost KXAS channed 5 (frequency 41) and ONLY this channel.

I am in Richardson and have an outdoor antenna with amplifier that has been set up since the beginning of the summer. I have it hooked into a Dish 942 HD DVR. Since everything was installed, I have had no reception issues wil any channel including KXAS.

Since last week I have suddenly gotten very poor reception on KXAS. All of my other channels still have high signal strength (80 to 100). It's only Channel 5 that has gone bad.

I tried removing the channels from the 942 and rescanning with no luck. I also tried swiveling the antenna through +/- 5 or 10 degrees but I still can't pick up KXAS.

Is anyone else having issues with this channel? Has KXAS changed anything about their broadcast setup over the last few weeks that couls explain this change?

Thanks!

I have been having problems with KXAS chan 5 for the last several days as well. The signal is a weak SD. I have had a good signal and HD picture previously.
This is OTA in Plano. I rescanned my Samsung TS160 , no help.
Has anyone talked to them ?

I sent them an email today. I am still having problems with reception of KXAS. I will post back if I get a response!
post #1011 of 7547 Old 10-18-2005, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[quote]

I sent them an email today. I am still having problems with reception of KXAS. I will post back if I get a response!

Magically Saturday night a little before 10, the HD came back. Its been ok since.
I didn't do anything it just happened.
post #1012 of 7547 Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Hey did anyone else lose cbs hd ota last night? I was watching dave and all of the sudden, "channel not available", but all the other digitals were ok.
post #1013 of 7547 Old 10-18-2005, 04:28 PM

How long does it take Dish Network to acquire the waiver from Channel 11? They told me 30-45 days, but it has been longer than that and still no CBS in HD. I asked Dish how I would find out when the waiver had been approved, and they said, "When you start getting CBS in HD."

Anyone have any experience relating to this?
post #1014 of 7547 Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim552 View Post

How long does it take Dish Network to acquire the waiver from Channel 11? They told me 30-45 days, but it has been longer than that and still no CBS in HD. I asked Dish how I would find out when the waiver had been approved, and they said, "When you start getting CBS in HD."

Anyone have any experience relating to this?

If you're in the D/FW area, you should qualify for a free second dish, to receive CBS-HD. Have you contacted Dish about this?
post #1015 of 7547 Old 10-19-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post

Hey Jstew,

I take it that you got your HD and 942 on Tuesday.

Did they install a Dual LNB dish ?

Did you get more than a one room set-up = another non-HD receiver ?

What are your impressions of DN's HD pack and the 942 ?

Even though my wife says she isn't interested in the HD Pak, I am.

Tim

I did indeed get the 942 installed on Tuesday and so far, so good. It became a little "buggy" last night in that I would lose audio through my amplifier or the tuner would freeze the screen, but I just reset the 942 per the instructions and everything returned to normal. Installation was less than 45 minutes since I already received the 942 via UPS. They brought a refurbished 942 with them for reasons unknown to me since I already had a new one, but they just scratched their heads and took it back to the truck. Just a little miscommunication, I suppose. All they had to do was hook up the dish and point it. Everything else was already done by me.

For the most part, the installers are fairly knowledgable, but in some instances, they were the students rather than instructors. For example, they were both adamant that DVI and HDMI were one and the same, and there was no way I could/would receive audio over an HDMI. After hearing that, I became a little nervous and started checking their connections! They installed the dual LNB and signal strength was between 100 and 125 for both 110 and 119, so I should have a pretty good signal most the time.

I still have to set up my second TV in the bedroom, but that's pretty effortless and I told them to just set up the HD set in the living room for me. I'll set up the other TV sometime this weekend.

I'm not totally impressed with the HD content they have at this time, but HDNet and Discovery HD are fun to watch. I've got three free months of movie channels, so I'll try to figure out whether to keep them or not. The boss likes all the HD content so far and that's good enough for me.

I'm using an indoor antenna for OTA content and it's plugged directly into the 942. The 942 does an exceptional job of locking in all signals and an even better job of recording the HD content from the OTA antenna. To me, that's probably the biggest selling point. So far, it's been flawless and presents a spectacular picture.

I think the price is right for this unit, even if they eventually do go to MPEG-4. I don't think DN will leave customers out on a limb with outdated equipment when the new format appears and they'll adjust prices accordingly. I've had a few hiccups with the 942, but it's been very easy to alleviate problems. No phone calls to DN and none anticipated.
post #1016 of 7547 Old 10-20-2005, 07:48 AM

JStew - what kind of indoor antenna are you using?
Tom in TX
post #1017 of 7547 Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in TX View Post

JStew - what kind of indoor antenna are you using?
Tom in TX

Tom, I've got a Winegard Sharpshooter (not the Squareshooter). It's their newest indoor antenna and it works really well for me. It's got a very low profile (about 4") and is about 22 inches wide. I had a Silver Sensor and obviously couldn't pick-up channel 8 and when it came time for Monday Night Football, I started to panic. The Sharpshooter does as good a job as the Silver Sensor as far as I can tell, and picks up VHF just as effortlessly as the UHF. It seems to keep a good, steady signal throughout the spectrum.
post #1018 of 7547 Old 10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post

Tom, I've got a Winegard Sharpshooter (not the Squareshooter). It's their newest indoor antenna and it works really well for me. It's got a very low profile (about 4") and is about 22 inches wide. I had a Silver Sensor and obviously couldn't pick-up channel 8 and when it came time for Monday Night Football, I started to panic. The Sharpshooter does as good a job as the Silver Sensor as far as I can tell, and picks up VHF just as effortlessly as the UHF. It seems to keep a good, steady signal throughout the spectrum.

JStew, did you buy that locally or order it? If you don't mind, about how much was it? I've got a amplified UHF/VHF antenna now (I'm in Frisco), but can't get WFAA-DT, and the others aren't always accessible, either...I'm hoping that could do the trick...

Thanks,
Randy

Randy
post #1019 of 7547 Old 10-21-2005, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYSWA View Post

JStew, did you buy that locally or order it? If you don't mind, about how much was it? I've got a amplified UHF/VHF antenna now (I'm in Frisco), but can't get WFAA-DT, and the others aren't always accessible, either...I'm hoping that could do the trick...

Thanks,
Randy

I haven't seen them sold locally, but maybe someone reading this might know where you can get one. I bought mine on the web at Warren Electronics. It was the cheapest place I could find. Most other websites sold the antenna for retail at $99.99 and Warren had them for $69.00. Since I bought mine, the price went up and I believe it's now 76.00. Shipping was reasonable at around $7.00 and they have a fair return policy. The website is warrenelectronics.com if you're interested.

I had a Silver Sensor and that's obviously not going to work with WFAA, so I then looked at an amplified Ratshack dual VHF/UHV antenna. I had too many dropouts with that, so I did some research, found this new type of antenna and figured it would be worth the money if it worked. The thing works for me like a charm. I especially like the low profile.

Good luck if you decide to purchase one. Let me know if it works for you.
post #1020 of 7547 Old 10-22-2005, 07:37 AM

Hi All, moving to Frisco (parkway & eldorado in the Fairways) from Palm Beach, FL (and just in time I might add, Wilma appears to be headed toward my old back yard!) I am an HD subscriber and am trying to make sure my understanding on the CBS, Fox, NBC feeds is clear. I have read through many of the posts, but just want to make sure that no waivers are required to receive the NY feeds for those 3 networks.

Also, has anyone used the D* installed OTA antenna from up in Frisco? It was only an extra $25 for them to install it through the movers program so I figured what the heck, at least the cables will be run even if the antenna is not so hot. I have a CM 777 amp that I can put in line if needed.

Thanks in advance for you replies.

"In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things."
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception