5Likes

post #1081 of 7468 Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post

I'm aiming at the signals from a different direction (Denton), but I had pretty much the same roadblocks as you (indoor only, fringe reception area). What is working quite well for me now is the Silver Sensor paired with a ChannelMaster 7777 amp. I get all of the UHF stations with at least a 70% strength, averaging mid 80's, and some (like the WB) I get high 90's. I'm even getting ABC with a set of rabbit ears, plugged into the 7777 (although, to be fair, it doesn't go much past 70 percent).

If you're like me and have no other HD options (can't put up a dish, have non-HD cable provider), then it might be worth the investment to give it a try. I was about reeady to quit before I got this combo working. Good luck!

Thanks for the response.
How do I pair the amp, silver sensor and rabbit ears?. I noticed that rabit ears is tough to find. I am willing to try anything at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 7468 Old 11-10-2005, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorem View Post

Thanks for the response.
How do I pair the amp, silver sensor and rabbit ears?. I noticed that rabit ears is tough to find. I am willing to try anything at this point.

The ChannelMaster 7777 is a dual UHF/VHF amp, with separate inputs for each. The Silver Sensor is plugged into the UHF coax input, and the rabbit ears go on the VHF coax input (in my case, with the cheapo-Radio Shack pair, using the flat-cable to coax converter that was included). I believe 15-236 was the model # for the one I got locally: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...032189.2032204 I have a flat spot to lie it down on.

I got my CM 7777 from Solid Signal (http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=ANC7777), and was very pleased with their service and price. Here's a close-up on the head-end block: http://www.solidsignal.com/images/pr..._det_zoomA.gif Hopefully that will make the dual inputs clearer.

Do note that the unit comes with an internal switch factory-set to 'combined' on the UHF input. You have to remove the four screws on the front panel, flip the switch to 'separate', then put the screws back in. Now you can plug the rabbit ears into the VHF input, and the amp will combine the two antennas for you.

Also note that if you've been using non-RG6 coax cable, you really should get better coax cables. I got new cables from MonoPrice, and they were great and mind-blowingly cheap (scroll down to the RG6 section): http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10216&style= I got something like seven cables, including two 25-foot runs, for less than I might have paid for two 6 foot cables at any local store. (If you're looking for inexpensive DVI-HDMI or HDMI-HDMI cables, they've got those too for great prices. My 15 foot DVI-HDMI cable was at least three times less expensive than I saw anywhere else.)

Recapping: connect the Silver Sensor with RG6 cable to the CM 7777 amp head unit (grey box), and also the rabbit ears. Then, run a RG6 cable from wherever your best antenna reception is, towards the TV. Connect the cable from the grey head end unit to the power injector (the white box), then use one last RG6 cable from the injector to the coax input on your HDTV. I can't guarantee that you'll get the same results (fringe reception is spotty at best, especially indoors), but this was the only combination that actually worked for me. Good luck!

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #1083 of 7468 Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post

When I read this, I was confused, as I had just run a DTV channel search yesterday and didn't find any of these. After checking further, it turns out that the ATSC tuner only goes up to channel 69 on my Sony 42A10. (It has seperate Antenna and Cable inputs.) I would have been curious to see the 'barker' program.

PS: if anyone was interested, a quick web search turned up this: http://www.usdigitalhdtv.com/

Hey wait a minute. That's right. Broadcasters can't go over 69 today, and after the switchover, I think 51 is the limit (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). So there can't be a 99. But I guess there could be a virtual 99. TomTX, can you check and see what the physical channel for those is?

Xesdeeni
post #1084 of 7468 Old 11-13-2005, 04:47 PM

I just found out that I am going to be moving to Dallas in June, and I am not sure who to go with...Comcast, DirecTV or hope that the new Verizon service will be in my area that I move to....my wife and I are thinking the Irving area since it will be close to where I will be working and only 15 minutes from her job. Does anyone have any suggestions? HD selection is very important to me.

Thanks in advance.
post #1085 of 7468 Old 11-13-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane99 View Post

I just found out that I am going to be moving to Dallas in June, and I am not sure who to go with...Comcast, DirecTV or hope that the new Verizon service will be in my area that I move to....my wife and I are thinking the Irving area since it will be close to where I will be working and only 15 minutes from her job. Does anyone have any suggestions? HD selection is very important to me.

Thanks in advance.

Dish Network, and OTA locals works good for me! From Irving, you should have no trouble picking up all the locals OTA. Will you be in a house, or an apartment?
Tom in TX
post #1086 of 7468 Old 11-13-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in TX View Post

Dish Network, and OTA locals works good for me! From Irving, you should have no trouble picking up all the locals OTA. Will you be in a house, or an apartment?
Tom in TX

We are most likely going to get a house. We are going to Dallas in March to start house shopping.
post #1087 of 7468 Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane99 View Post

We are most likely going to get a house. We are going to Dallas in March to start house shopping.

We live just North of Irving (Coppell), and I use an antenna in my attic for all the OTA HD locals, no problems. I have Dish with the HD pack. Enjoy both alot!
Tom in TX
post #1088 of 7468 Old 11-14-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

Hey wait a minute. That's right. Broadcasters can't go over 69 today, and after the switchover, I think 51 is the limit (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). So there can't be a 99. But I guess there could be a virtual 99. TomTX, can you check and see what the physical channel for those is?

Xesdeeni

I'm getting ready to go to thte airport and won't be back for a week. If my dead brain cells wake up and I remember, I will check.
post #1089 of 7468 Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 AM

I have a newbie question:

As far as NBC HD goes. Would I be correct if I say that NBC in Dallas broadcast upconverted programming. The PQ of NBC's 'E-Ring looks' Wednesday night looks grainy compared to the PQ from CBS and Fox.

I have noticed that a few other shows on NBC have the grainy look also.
post #1090 of 7468 Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpal View Post

As far as NBC HD goes. Would I be correct if I say that NBC in Dallas broadcast upconverted programming. The PQ of NBC's 'E-Ring looks' Wednesday night looks grainy compared to the PQ from CBS and Fox. I have noticed that a few other shows on NBC have the grainy look also.

There are a number of threads over in the HDTV Programming forum about PQ issues on NBC-originated HDTV signals. Multicasting (like with the extra weather channel on 5.2) can play into this problem. If the local affiliate were inadvertently carrying the network SD feed upconverted on their primary DTV channel, it would be a 4x3 window pillar-boxed instead of a 16x9 widescreen image.

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #1091 of 7468 Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTx View Post

Quote:

I'm getting ready to go to thte airport and won't be back for a week. If my dead brain cells wake up and I remember, I will check.

OK, I finally got a chance to check this out myself. There are 10 channels under virtual channel 99. 99-1 through 99-9 (with 99-5 missing) and 99-50. 5 of them are from actual channel 30 and 5 are from actual channel 46. The "barker" channel on 99-1 has live thumbnail feeds from all the channels (except Starz, I think). Also nifty is that my TV (Mitsubishi WS-65513) actually displayed a message indicating the other channels were "scrambled."

Xesdeeni
post #1092 of 7468 Old 11-16-2005, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ordered an HDTV a few days ago and I called today to order HD from SBC (their deal through Dish Network) and was told that HDTV is not offered at my apartment complex. I am in uptown directly north of downtown Dallas.

So here's the situation. My complex has signed a lease with a sole provider for phone/internet/TV and you cannot order from a separate company, so cable is not available. SBC has a dish on the roof and when you subscribe they activate the wall outlets in your apartment and you plug the TV into that. I could just order satellite and setup my own dish on my balcony, but I face the interior of my complex and thus have a very limited view of the sky.

So my only option to get HDTV is an OTA antenna. The problem is I currently have a cheap RCA antenna for my SDTV and only get 1 channel (which is fuzzy) because the reception is so bad. A lot of the walls at my complex are concrete so that only complicates the problem. Is there a possibility that a powerful HD OTA antenna would get better reception? At least I could get the local channels in HD.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I could get HD? It would really suck if all I can do with the TV is games/DVD/SD. If it's not possible, I might be cancelling my order.

Thanks,
Kyle
post #1093 of 7468 Old 11-17-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I finally got a chance to check this out myself. There are 10 channels under virtual channel 99. 99-1 through 99-9 (with 99-5 missing) and 99-50. 5 of them are from actual channel 30 and 5 are from actual channel 46. The "barker" channel on 99-1 has live thumbnail feeds from all the channels (except Starz, I think). Also nifty is that my TV (Mitsubishi WS-65513) actually displayed a message indicating the other channels were "scrambled."

This got me thinking. Doesn't the FCC require at least one unencrypted sub-channel per channel? Sure, one of the virtual channel 99 subchannels is in the clear, but isn't the virtual channel just a stop-gap to avoid confusion until the digital channels settle into thier final frequencies? So shouldn't there be one unencrypted channel on 30 and on 46?

Xesdeeni
post #1094 of 7468 Old 11-18-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone here know a launch date for USDTV?? I read the release and all it says is "this week".

100% Digital household since 2001
post #1095 of 7468 Old 11-18-2005, 06:09 PM

I've got Dish Network. Anyone know if they have any plans of adding FSN-HD to their Fox package?
post #1096 of 7468 Old 11-19-2005, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas05alum View Post

So my only option to get HDTV is an OTA antenna. The problem is I currently have a cheap RCA antenna for my SDTV and only get 1 channel (which is fuzzy) because the reception is so bad. A lot of the walls at my complex are concrete so that only complicates the problem. Is there a possibility that a powerful HD OTA antenna would get better reception? At least I could get the local channels in HD.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I could get HD? It would really suck if all I can do with the TV is games/DVD/SD. If it's not possible, I might be cancelling my order.

It's really difficult to predict how your OTA digital reception will be -- digital can work pretty well with weak signals, but can get nailed by interference and multipath (ghosts). But it also depends on the quality of the tuner that is built into your television (I'm assuming since it is new that it has an integrated ATSC digital tuner).

But don't give up hope -- there are several small antennas that folks here have reported success with. As I recall, those antennas are the Silver Sensor (Zenith), the Square Shooter (Winegard), and the indoor 2-bay bowtie style antenna (Radio Shack catalog, I think).

You might also want to check out the website for "Antennas Direct" -- but if you do so, follow the link from the AVS Forum so that if you buy anything it helps support this website...
post #1097 of 7468 Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 PM

I was looking at an HD sports website and they list programming as either 720p or 1080i.

What does that mean?
post #1098 of 7468 Old 11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim552 View Post

I was looking at an HD sports website and they list programming as either 720p or 1080i.

What does that mean?

Hi Tim,
That is the resolution of the broadcast. 720p means 720 lines of horizontal resolution, 'painted' at the same time on your screen, a.k.a. progressively. 1080i is 1080 lines of horizontal resolution interlaced, or half the lines are 'painted' on your screen in one cycle, with the other half being 'painted' in the next cycle. This is done so fast that your eye generally can't perceive that it is not all appearing at once. There is a huge debate of which format is best, and I am not knowledgable enough to state a case either way. My set is a 720p DLP, so that *must* be the best!!! Well, except for 1080p, of course. Anyway, here are a couple of links that might help you get some of the basic terms and concepts down:

PC World Answer Guide on HDTV

HDTV Magazine's HDTV Primer

I honestly haven't read through those all that carefully, so they may or may not be to your liking...google 'HDTV primer' and you'll get all sorts of hits to choose from....

Good luck!

-Randy

Randy
post #1099 of 7468 Old 11-23-2005, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I very seldom watch channel 5 (NBC) but have a TIVO season pass for "My Name is Earl" set to digital channel 5.1 The reception was so pixielated and dropped out so much the recording was just worthless. I used to receive 5.1 very well and still receive all the other DFW digitial channels just fine. Anyone know what's up with KXAS 5.1 and their bad signal?

Bill
post #1100 of 7468 Old 11-26-2005, 12:19 PM

Does comcast extended cable support QAM tuners?

im looking to get a HDTV receiver and i wanted to know if i should look for the QAM tuner instead of the OTA antennas.
post #1101 of 7468 Old 11-26-2005, 01:57 PM

Willie_Tee,

Channel 5.1 has been having their problems overs the last month or two. I was terrible problems with Tonight Show. I talked to on the engineers and he told me they have been having HD decoder problems. Mine has been fine the last week or so. The problem was mostly on the Tonight Show vs. the prime time shows
post #1102 of 7468 Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 AM

Hi. Newbie to the HD world with a couple of Qs:

I installed the following this weekend: Mitsu 52628 1080P DLP, DISH 942, Dish HD Pak and a Terk 5 Bowtie which I set-up on top of the TV to trial antenna reception. I am 30 miles from the towers according to anntennaweb and so far so good, am picking up all of the local digital channels including 4-1, 5-1, 8-1, 11-1 and several others. Watched Desperate Housewives last night while recording the Jets game on ESPNHD - incredible picture!

1. My signal strength is 67-73 as-is. Can I move the Terk 5 to the attic and expect any signal improvement? I am on a south facing hill in richardson with one tree in the front yard so I am speculating that another 20 ft or so in elevation will help a bit.
2. Is there another indoor UHF/VHF antenna to try in the attic? Winegard Sharpshooter? Radio Shack?
3. Also, may be OT, but have seen a few threads about Dallasites qualifying for CBS-HD from Dish. Does anyone have the scoop on how to do this? Is there a cost for this feed? Or, just the cost of adding a 2d Dish for the 148 satellite? And, if I need a 2d Dish should I try for the Dish 1000 upgrade? Any cost info?

Thanks in advance!
post #1103 of 7468 Old 11-28-2005, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH1 View Post

Also, may be OT, but have seen a few threads about Dallasites qualifying for CBS-HD from Dish. Does anyone have the scoop on how to do this? Is there a cost for this feed? Or, just the cost of adding a 2d Dish for the 148 satellite? And, if I need a 2d Dish should I try for the Dish 1000 upgrade? Any cost info?

Thanks in advance!

Just call Dish, and tell them you want the second dish so you can receive the other local channels (I think they are Spanish). They installed mine for free, and while the installer was doing it, I had him point it to the 61.5 so I could get the VOOM channels, and CBS-HD (no monthly charge). I don't know if they use the Dish 1000 here or not. You could ask.
Tom in TX
post #1104 of 7468 Old 11-28-2005, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I missed this while I was out of town:

Star-Telegram busts critic for lifting from EW

MediaLifeMagazine.com--It's fine, as a fellow TV critic, to admire the writing in Entertainment Weekly; it is not fine to pass that writing off as your own. Fort Worth Star-Telegram TV critic Ken Parish Perkins resigned this week after a reader pointed out just such a lapse. An entire paragraph of background information in Perkins' Nov. 10 piece on Lost was lifted directly from Entertainment Weekly without proper attribution.

The paper subsequently investigated all of Perkins' work since July 2003 and found several more instances of borrowed phrasing and sentences, which is a violation of its ethics policy. When confronted, Perkins resigned.

In a column published yesterday, the paper's ombudsman, David House, said the paper had not suspected Perkins of any ethical lapses and would not have realized the problem if not for the alert reader.

It's unclear why exactly Perkins lifted the material. Executive editor Jim Witt called Perkins one of the paper's best writers and hardest workers.

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman...at_index_31.asp

Xesdeeni
post #1105 of 7468 Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 PM

I am moving into a new home in the Dallas area and have three choices for programming: Dish, DirectTV or Comcast. My goal is to maximize my HD viewing- my main interests would be sports, movies and regular primetime viewing.

Any thoughts on which would be the best way to go? All seem similarly priced- I also want to make sure I can get a HD-DVR that will enable me to record while watching something else.

I am a huge football fan- is DirectTV worth it solely for the football ticket?

One other consideration is that I will be there for many years, so if I know something revolutionary is around the corner, it would impact my decision.

Thanks for any help- this site is always very helpful to me as a newbie to the HD world.
post #1106 of 7468 Old 11-29-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Move to one of the Dallas suburbs where you can get Verizon's FIOS TV service. Better to have four choices than three. It might even drive your Comcast bill down if you choose to stick with cable versus fibre to the home.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #1107 of 7468 Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 PM

I have a HDTV set top box for OTA reception in the area of North Dallas/Carrollton. For the past year I have had terrific reception and picture on all the channels. Recently, most of the channels give great reception, except for channel 5-1 NBC. For the past 2 weeks or so, channel 5-1 has been highly pixelated, with loss of sound and at times virutally un-watchable. Does anyone know what might be causing this extremely poor reception on channel 5-1? Is it my HDTV receiver, or the signal coming from the station? Does anyone know a contact person/telephone number at the station?
post #1108 of 7468 Old 12-03-2005, 05:23 PM

hey kinda new.... okay here's the situation mom just bought a great 32" lcd sharp tv widesscreen the works

we've been useing a regular indoor antenna with tivo, all the channels are okay none that good.

WE WANT HD!!!

what is the best hd outdoor or indoor antenna that's under say 150 bux, located in crowley /fortworth line, all stations 35 miles away.... please provide links... thx in advance
post #1109 of 7468 Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 AM

Does your LCD have a built-in HD tuner? If not, do you have a HD tuner (sat, or cable)? You should be able to pick up some HD from where you are.
Tom in TX
post #1110 of 7468 Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post

Move to one of the Dallas suburbs where you can get Verizon's FIOS TV service. Better to have four choices than three. It might even drive your Comcast bill down if you choose to stick with cable versus fibre to the home.

when he said he was moving into a new home, I'm assuming that the home has already been purchased and moving to a verizon suburb at this juncture isn't an option.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page