5Likes

post #1171 of 7466 Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post

I searched through the recent history of the Dallas thread, and I haven't been able to find anything related to this.....has channel 8 made a change in the last 30 days to how they transmit their signal? I am way up in McKinney, at the bottom of a hill, in the woods....but I have Radio Shacks biggest antenna mounted on my chimney, and I pick up a "good" OTA signal for all of the local channels. In the past , channel 8 seemd to be the strongest....now, I am not picking up anything at all.....very confusing--am I missing something?

Thanks.

You guys aren't alone. I recently purchased a HD tuner for my Media Center PC and it was working fair. I expected that with it's rinky dinky antenna. So I went and grabbed one of the Radio Shack indoor antennas and every digital over the air station came in great, except WFAA. Absolutely no signal for WFAA.

I discussed this with the Radio Shack and BestBuy folks and they indicated this was a fairly common complaint in my area.

Something is wrong with their transmission. I'm in Southlake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 AM

hey ya'll, i have dish w/the dvr-942 and a winegard ss-1000 on my balcony in irving (valley ranch), about 2 miles north of 635. i can't get hardly any of these local channels you guys are talking about. i've already had the service techs out here 2x and they just shrug there shoulders. i can get 4-1, 5-1, 11-1, 13-1 and 21-1. i can't get 8-1, 2-1 or 52-1 no matter what i do. 5-1 has 70% strength, but it fades in and out every second and is impossible to watch. the others are are 65%, but with the best buy rca signal booster, they jump to 68-70%. any ideas what i can do? should i try a different antenna? any help is appreciated.
post #1173 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Antenna pointing south???? You should be good from Valley Ranch. If you were to get on your roof at night or on a clear day and look south you can see the towers from there.

100% Digital household since 2001
post #1174 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
Hey everyone,
I just have a couple of questions:

1. I currently live in Addison and I cannot pick up any OTA digital channels. I have tried the Terk HDTVI and a Radio Shack indoor Antenna both of which have been raved about here and a few other places. I live in an apartment (Townhome) around the noel/celestial. I have gotten different results from antennaweb.org as to what I can pick up. So the question I have is are there any indoor antennas that people have had success in my area? I am thinking about getting an outdoor antenna and putting it in my second bedroom on the second floor, is this worth while? Any luck with the Terk HDTV-S antenna?

2. I may be moving to Little Elm in a couple of months, what type of results have people had for OTA out there?

Thank you ahead of time,

Kem

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #1175 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloBox View Post

You guys aren't alone. I recently purchased a HD tuner for my Media Center PC and it was working fair. I expected that with it's rinky dinky antenna. So I went and grabbed one of the Radio Shack indoor antennas and every digital over the air station came in great, except WFAA. Absolutely no signal for WFAA.

I discussed this with the Radio Shack and BestBuy folks and they indicated this was a fairly common complaint in my area.

Something is wrong with their transmission. I'm in Southlake.

What antenna did you buy? Most (if not all) digital signals are in the UHF range with one exception - WFAA. Channel 8 requires a VHF antenna.
post #1176 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabes View Post

hey ya'll, i have dish w/the dvr-942 and a winegard ss-1000 on my balcony in irving (valley ranch), about 2 miles north of 635. i can't get hardly any of these local channels you guys are talking about. i've already had the service techs out here 2x and they just shrug there shoulders. i can get 4-1, 5-1, 11-1, 13-1 and 21-1. i can't get 8-1, 2-1 or 52-1 no matter what i do. 5-1 has 70% strength, but it fades in and out every second and is impossible to watch. the others are are 65%, but with the best buy rca signal booster, they jump to 68-70%. any ideas what i can do? should i try a different antenna? any help is appreciated.

Are you at the bottom of the hill north of 635? I've seen other posts where people have had luck with Silver Sensors (you can get one at Fry's right down the road from where you are) and other assorted antennas as well. The Silver Sensor won't get 8-1 for you, though. 8-1 is a VHF signal and everything else is UHF which is suitable for the Silver Sensor.
post #1177 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post

Are you at the bottom of the hill north of 635? I've seen other posts where people have had luck with Silver Sensors (you can get one at Fry's right down the road from where you are) and other assorted antennas as well. The Silver Sensor won't get 8-1 for you, though. 8-1 is a VHF signal and everything else is UHF which is suitable for the Silver Sensor.

yea, close to beltline/macarthur intersection. the silver sensor is the zenith zhdtv1, correct? can i run the silver sensor with my winegard ss1000 or should i only have one? is the silver sensor indoor or outdoor mountable. if inside, where do you put it?
post #1178 of 7466 Old 12-30-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:

What antenna did you buy? Most (if not all) digital signals are in the UHF range with one exception - WFAA. Channel 8 requires a VHF antenna.

So far, both of the indoor antennas I've tried are supposed to do both VHF and UHF. I took the RadioShack back because it was missing a bracket and it didn't work for ABC WFAA-DT. I tried a Phillips I picked up from Walmart today, but of course it was pretty much the same result.

I'm gathering from conversasions and my reading that the only way to guarantee quality reception is to use an attic or externally mounted antenna. I refuse to go through that much hassle just to have my PC pick up those channels.

Why I can't put a HD tuner in my PC and get those channels off the Charter Communications coax is beyond me.
post #1179 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Actually, that is not totally true. The silver sensor is made to recieve UHF, but it will pick up certain VHF (high or low can't remember). Point being, I use a silver sensor to get all Dallas channels, 8-1 included, and I'm about 40 miles from the towers. I would suggest trying the silver sensor, went thru a bunch of other ones and was never satisfied till I got that one.

Jeff
post #1180 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff009 View Post

Actually, that is not totally true. The silver sensor is made to recieve UHF, but it will pick up certain VHF (high or low can't remember). Point being, I use a silver sensor to get all Dallas channels, 8-1 included, and I'm about 40 miles from the towers. I would suggest trying the silver sensor, went thru a bunch of other ones and was never satisfied till I got that one.

Jeff

I live pretty close to him and had a Silver Sensor. It didn't do a thing for me when it came to pulling in WFAA. Theoretically, the Silver Sensor should be able to pick-up VHF 9 - 13 according to Frye's, but I couldn't get it to do anything. It worked like a charm on UHF over in that area, though.
post #1181 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabes View Post

yea, close to beltline/macarthur intersection. the silver sensor is the zenith zhdtv1, correct? can i run the silver sensor with my winegard ss1000 or should i only have one? is the silver sensor indoor or outdoor mountable. if inside, where do you put it?

It's small compared to most indoor antennas and comes with it's own base. You just attach the antenna to the base and plug in your coax. You can place it just about anywhere. Very small footprint.
post #1182 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 01:04 PM

I finally got my Stealth antenna working. I'm in Plano near coit and parker. I have the Stealth in the attic running through a diplexer for my dish. My tv, Toshiba 52HM95, scanned all the channels in just fine. I'm really digging the new digital broadcast. The only I'm having problems with is of course 8-1. It comes and goes. Would a pre amp help pick this up better?
post #1183 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I live pretty close to him and had a Silver Sensor. It didn't do a thing for me when it came to pulling in WFAA. Theoretically, the Silver Sensor should be able to pick-up VHF 9 - 13 according to Frye's, but I couldn't get it to do anything. It worked like a charm on UHF over in that area, though.

I too had problems at first, but I forgot one thing about my silver sensor use, never got 8-1 until I put in a pre-amp. Now every channel comes in pretty good, every once and awhile I have to fine tune it (i.e. move the antenna a bit).

Jeff
post #1184 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 03:35 PM

I'm thinking about getting the CM 7777. Is this a little overkill just to get 8-1 or should a cheaper one do the trick?
post #1185 of 7466 Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygrin22 View Post

I'm thinking about getting the CM 7777. Is this a little overkill just to get 8-1 or should a cheaper one do the trick?

Well I too had considered that one, but didn't want to wait for it to be delivered, couldn't find it locally. Anyway, I went up to Home Depot and bought one, so I could return it if it didn't work, and have been using it ever since. No issues, unfortunately, I don't know which model or type it is (can't get to it right now). Always worth a try.

Jeff
post #1186 of 7466 Old 01-01-2006, 06:21 AM

I recently installed a traditional rooftop antenna from Radio Shack in my attic. See link below. The antenna is hooked up directly to the HDTV. The internal tuner on the set picks up all local digital and analog stations available in the DFW area. Surprisingly, channel 8-1 and 8-2 are the strongest signal at 98%. Channel 27-1 is the weakest signal at 37%, but the picture on that station is clear and has never dropped out. All other digital stations range from about 77% to 88% signal strength. OTA analog stations look good too, but not as good as the digital stations. I live in North Carrollton near the intersection of Josey Lane and Hebron Parkway.

A friend of mine recently installed the same antenna in his attic with similar reception results. However, the antenna on his set is hooked up to his Dish Network HD receiver/DVR combo. He lives near the intersection of Hillcrest and Arapaho in North Dallas.

The Radio Shack model is VU 90XR. See link for details.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...na&tab=summary
post #1187 of 7466 Old 01-01-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I live in South Plano, and use a Channel Master 4228 ($50 at Fry's) to receive all the digital stations from Cedar Ridge, including 8-1. Although this is a UHF antenna, it does a decent job of VHF-high, which covers 8-1 which is broadcast on ch. 9.

This antenna is 40" square, and easy to install/mount/aim. I tried it in my attic first, but only got about 1/2 of the stations. Now, since I have an aliuminum-lined roof, others may be able to succeed in the attic. Once I moved the antenna to a chimney mount outdoors, it gets them all with great signals, with none marginal. (I don't care about the stations located in Denton, Tyler, etc.)

I got 50 feet of RG-6 and the antenna mounting supplies at Radio Shack. There is no amplifier needed, and the coax goes straight into my DishNetwork PVR-942. I use Dish for the analog local stations, not my antenna.

Alan

- Alan
Samsung HL-R6168W, Polk Audio RM7500, Dish DVRs(622/722), Yamaha RX-V2600, Panasonic DMR-EZ17, Panasonic LX600, ChannelMaster 4228, custom HTPC.
post #1188 of 7466 Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post

Anyone get the new mpeg4 AT9 dish installed yet? If so how did they mount it? What was the name of the contractor that installed the new equipment? I am trying to find out if they are pushing the pole mounts. I have been reading that in other markets that the contractors are pushing for them.

Myself and 3 other homes in my neighborhood in far north Ft. Worth have had H20 and AT9 dish installs. All of them are roof mounted, since they need two additional braces along with the maint pole and foot. The install was painless and took about 2 hours. If you have an exiting dish on your roof they will not pull off the old antenna mast and foot because they do not want to be liable for leaks in the roof. I needed the upgrade since I am behind a hill from Cedar Hill and cannot get OTA HD. As reported, only 4, 5, and 11 are available. Now if Belo WFAA will just not be such jerks and just sign the contract with D* we could get on with it.

bill
post #1189 of 7466 Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff009 View Post

Hey, guys curious if anyone is using Grande for HDTV digital cable? I'm currently a DirectTV person, but a bit unhappy with them (besides the fact that ABC is not available with the new MPEG-4 rollout). I currently use an OTA receiver and have been happy with it, but hate that I'm missing a bunch of bowl games on ESPN got me looking. Grande, is the only cable provider in my area, and it looks like they have a pretty extensive list of HD channels and more to come in about a month. Few questions if anyone uses them-

1. Do they have a DVR for HD? If so, what model (I'm leaving a DirectTivo and no I want be happy but just curious if it is a stable box)?
2. Whats the quality like compared to OTA? I've heard mix reviews of other cable companies HDTV and was curious.
3. Overall how has service been?

Thanks and look forward to responses.

Anyone out there using Grande that can help?

Thanks
post #1190 of 7466 Old 01-02-2006, 12:13 PM

Hi, I need to have an antenna installed on my condo. Have the approval from the board, just need to get an installer (pretty high, 3 stories)...in Dallas, M-Street area.

Anyone have any recommendations?

All comments appreciated, thanks for your time.
post #1191 of 7466 Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM

FYI, I purchased a Terk TV5 antenna at WorstBuy and I now have the local HDTV channels including WFAA-DT 8-1. I placed the antenna up on top of some books shelves and that certainly helped a lot.

post #1192 of 7466 Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

IIRC: When D* LIL first rolled out in '99 WFAA waited almost 6 months to get on the stick.

GLORY be the day when B-LOW sells WFAA to the network.

post #1193 of 7466 Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

IIRC: When D* LIL first rolled out in '99 WFAA waited almost 6 months to get on the stick.

GLORY be the day when B-LOW sells WFAA to the network.

It would be good to dance on the grave of that company. Until then I will continue my personal boycott of channel 8 and their ownership.

bill
post #1194 of 7466 Old 01-03-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Me too!!

I get KLTV-DT Tyler with a 90% signal.

They don't preempt network programming with church on Friday night. Also, if you live close to ETX like I do, they have an award winning newscast. Unlike News 8, the anchors are speaking to EVERYONE and not just the residents of N. Dallas, Collin, and Denton counties.

post #1195 of 7466 Old 01-04-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:

One of the nice things about the 7777 pre-amp is that it seperately amplifies the VHF and UHF inputs. So I have my Silver Sensor plugged into the UHF side, and a cheapo pair of rabbit ears on the VHF side. This has allowed me to pick up ABC for the first time out here in my ground-level apartment in central Denton. (A weak signal, but I get a lock about 90-95% of the time.)

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #1196 of 7466 Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 AM

billt1111 - Thanks for the response on the new dish!

It looks like I will have to wait a bit longer though. People on the board were speculating Early 2006 or Mid 2006 on the D* HD-DVR and I read the press release stating it is Mid 2006. Whomever gets to my neighborhood in Denton first with an HD DVR will be getting my business. BELO stinks. Good thing MNF is switching to ESPN!
post #1197 of 7466 Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post

It looks like I will have to wait a bit longer though. People on the board were speculating Early 2006 or Mid 2006 on the D* HD-DVR and I read the press release stating it is Mid 2006. Whomever gets to my neighborhood in Denton first with an HD DVR will be getting my business. BELO stinks. Good thing MNF is switching to ESPN!

You may already know this, but we here in Denton are one of the Verizon markets for FIOS TV in 2006. I'm definitely not holding my breath on Charter getting it done first.

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #1198 of 7466 Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post

You may already know this, but we here in Denton are one of the Verizon markets for FIOS TV in 2006. I'm definitely not holding my breath on Charter getting it done first.

I am in a new FIOS area in Keller. Their 'rep' came by last week to ask if we wanted video service to go along with our phone and Internet service. He did not even have a channel lineup or a marketing flyer to explain anything. In addition, he could not tell me for sure what channels (or how many) are HD, saying he thought it was 'eight'. Coincidentally our phone and Internet were out at the same time. Talk about putting all of your eggs in one basket. They are a very risky HD play, IMHO. Given the options I will stay with D*.

bill
post #1199 of 7466 Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 AM

I actually was gonna give them a call today to find out some more details on their channel line-up. You can go to their website and from the channel lineup in keller, they have the following listed as HD:

HDTV Broadcast**
801-808-Please consult the Interactive Programming Guide for local listings
HDTV National**
810-TNT HDTV
811-ESPN HDTV
812-ESPN 2 HDTV
814-NFL Network HDTV
817-HD Net
818-HD Net Movies
819-Universal HDTV
820-Discovery HDTV
821-Wealth TV HD

Also, the link on the right side of the page for a Printable Version shows them having HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Showtime HD, TMC HD, and Starz HD.

I thought I read somewhere that they would have INHD1/2, but I guess not. I entered my Flower Mound home phone number and it says I qualified (they started video a month or 2 ago in Flower Mound, internet about 6 months ago). Also, looking at the DVR section, it just says SD recording time, so I don't know if they have an HD DVR.

Anyone in Keller able to talk about the HD quality on FiOS TV? Or anywhere in DFW for that matter? Any idea if they carry the Fox Sports SW HD feeds for Mavs, Rangers, and Stars games when they are being done in HD?
post #1200 of 7466 Old 01-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

So from this list it looks like FIOS has the following HD channels that D* does not have?

Wealth TV HD
Universal HDTV
TNT HD
NFL Network HD
Cinemax HD
TMC HD
STARZ HD

They do not mention local channels in HD at all. Its not completely clear but it looks like all their HD programming comes in their Expanded Basic Package for $34.95? And It would be nice to know something about the HD and SD PQ.

bill
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page