Billings, MT - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 89 Old 04-23-2005, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed no thread for Billings MT yet...so lets start one!

Kudos to the folks at KTVQ (CBS), the first & only local to broadcast HDTV. Other than KTVQ, though, pretty disappointing. KULR (NBC) is up on digital, but no HDTV. Titantv.com shows both KSVI (ABC) and KHMT (Fox) as broadcasting in digital, but the signals are nowhere to be found at my house.

Anyone have any luck requesting waivers through D* or E* for East and or West coast HDTV network feeds?

I guess I'll contact Direct TV and see how far I can get. Other markets seem to be successful in getting blanket waivers where they aren't provided HD signals...why not us? We may be small, market #170, but lets make a little noise & see if we can't receive some HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 04-23-2005, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Title edited and added to the Index.

Just keep talking to yourself as things happen in the area - eventually other area members will join in. It may take awhile though.

You might want to keep the first post up to date as things change and also list what HD channels your local cable company offers.
post #3 of 89 Old 01-09-2006, 08:59 AM

projectionnewbie,

It's nice to see another person from Billings on these forums.

As far as local HDTV broadcast goes, I only receive KTVQ2. I have been thinking about buying a an amplified antenna to try and get KSVI and KHMT as well.
post #4 of 89 Old 01-23-2006, 10:09 AM

I guess that makes 3 of us! I'm able to get KTVQ in HD, along with KSVI and KULR in DTV. Am I the only one who is disappointed with the lack of support here? I have a beautiful 50" DLP sitting in my living room, and I'm forced to watch the Superbowl at standard resolutions (KSVI, if you're watching this, hurry up with the HDTV programming). The Steelers/Broncos game was amazing on CBS, though. . .Cudos to KTVQ.

You shouldn't need an amplified antenna to pick up KULR and KSVI. I'm using a Phillips Silver Sensor pointing straight east and I'm able to pick them up with no problem (I live in the Heights). I'll have to see if I can change directions and pick up KHMT.
post #5 of 89 Old 01-30-2006, 05:03 PM

I cant get ksvi-dt, I can pick up all q2dt and kulr8 dt ... any ideas on what channel ksvidt is ... im trying 6.1
post #6 of 89 Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Here are the physical channels for the local stations along with what they map to on my set(Sony).

KTVQ 10.3 (2.1)
KHMT 22.1 (4.1)
KSVI 18.1 (6.1)
KULR 11.3 (8.1)
post #7 of 89 Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Bump to avoid archiving.
post #8 of 89 Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 AM

Has anyone heard anything about HDMI repeater support for the Motorola dual dvd recorder boxes from Bresnan. Still can't run the HDMI cable through my Yamaha 2600 to take advantage of the up-scaling feature. Bresnan doesn't seem to know anything about it. Thanks

Jim
post #9 of 89 Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 AM

Bresnan installed the new Pace cable box last weekend and it doesn't work with the Yamaha receiver either. Kind of sucks.
post #10 of 89 Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM

SO I have bresnan and I get KULR and KTVQ but they don't offer KSVI or KHMT yet. Are you able to get it over air and if so, I live in the heights as well. What do I need?
post #11 of 89 Old 01-22-2007, 12:06 PM

I get the first two on 709 and 705 but not the others. You have to have an antenna outside to get them.
post #12 of 89 Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappin1 View Post

I get the first two on 709 and 705 but not the others. You have to have an antenna outside to get them.

Thanks Zappin, I talked to Bresnan today and they had no dates for new channels yet either.

So if I did an indoor HD antannea would that work to pick up KSVI and KHMT?
post #13 of 89 Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 AM

I believe it has to be outside to get reception.
post #14 of 89 Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 PM

Hello all!
I just moved to Billings from Virginia, and I subscribe to DirecTV. Locals are not carried here on DirecTV, and I was hoping one of you could recommend an antenna. I have a Silver Sensor that worked great in Virginia, but I can only get KTVQ and KULR with it here, and they are not very strong.

I would probably like something omnidirectional and easy to mount outside, since we are renting on the south side (59101) of Billings right now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #15 of 89 Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Hey Billings,

I'm able to tune KULR & KTVQ both in digital HD, along with their sister stations (CW & channel 8's weather).

I'm using a directional antenna up in my attic. It is my understanding that KHMT & KSVI broadcast from a point further north and east of the other two.

Has anyone been able to pick up the digital KSVI & KHMT? If so how.

I live near the yellowstone country club, and the rimrocks are probably blocking the line of sight from their broadcast towers. I'm wondering if I might get results with a larger outdoor antenna, or if it would be a waste of time.
post #16 of 89 Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM

I live in the Heights on River Oaks, about a block up the hill from Lake Elmo. I can get KSVI here with a Winegard Squareshooter antenna on my roof. I can't get KHMT. I called the station, and they began broadcasting HD on Superbowl Sunday, but at very low power. They can get KHMT at Harvest Church, but I drove by there and they have two HUGE antennas on their roof. KHMT told me they plan to be up to full power by the fall, but since I believe both KSVI and KHMT are on the same tower, a larger antenna may help. If you can get KSVI with a bigger antenna, you should be able to get KHMT when they go to full power.
post #17 of 89 Old 03-16-2008, 06:18 PM

hey rdaileyus,

Thanks for the info. Is your antenna directional, if so where are you pointing it?
post #18 of 89 Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Actually, KSVI and KHMT aren't sharing the same tower. The KHMT station is supposed to be licensed to Hardin, Montana, and that puts the tower about 20 or 30 miles further east. They're both low power transmitters at this point but I can still get the KHMT signal, in the Heights, with a simple outdoor UHF antenna.
post #19 of 89 Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey Doggone,

Are you getting a digital signal from KHMT? If so what direction is your antenna pointed ?

I'm trying to decide what type of outdoor antenna to get to bring in KSVI & KHMT digital. My distance is not bad from either one (according to TV fool.com KHMT is furthest @25 miles). I think my biggest problem is that the Rimrocks lie in between me and both signals.

I maybe incorrect, but I'm assuming with a larger (higher gain) antenna I'll have a better chance of grabbing a signal. I'm considering channelmaster 4228 or a yagi style 9095. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter!
post #20 of 89 Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM

bleekirk: Around the YCC you're NOT going to get a FOX signal with anything less than a 500' tower... 90+% of Billings rests deep in a river valley and the FOX signal goes right over the top of it. My case is different: I live in the Heights and I'm in the 'marginal' area for an 'A-grade' (41dBu) signal. That's plenty close enough for a good signal; B-grade works without pixelations.. Most all of Billings can't see FOX now off the current low-power HD transmitter. To be honest I doubt that will change much with a high-power transmitter that has to go in before Feb 09 (the river valley will still be there)..
post #21 of 89 Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Doggone,

You're probably right about not being able to get the a FOX signal. But, I've decided to try anyway, to that end I've ordered a winegard hd8800 UHF antenna.

I figure I've got nothing to loose & I might at least get KSVI (ABC). Besides KHMT is bound to boost their digtal signal power once the analog shutdown occurs (either that or they might as well go out of business)

Well when the antenna gets here I'll Drag it around on different locations on my property and see what I can pick up. I'll post results here when I get them-----stay tuned!
post #22 of 89 Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to travel to Billings quite a bit and I usually watched the late news on KULR 8 when I was there. I thought I would add my two cents in the discussion about KHMT and KSVI.

KHMT is currently operating its digital facility with a mere 2.4 kW of ERP. According to their latest filing with the FCC, they plan to go full power - 1000 kW of ERP - and raise their antenna approximately 50 m (150 feet) higher in October 2008. Their coverage contour map at digital full power looks like it replicates the analog signal on channel 4. So it looks like if you can receive the analog signal, you should be able to receive the digital signal when they go full power. Their tower is midway between Hardin and Billings.

KSVI is currently operating it digital facilities with a meager 0.996 kW ERP. A clothes iron uses more power. Their plans are basically the same as KHMT - full power by October 2008 with a signal that replicates their analog signal. Their tower is just south of I-90 just before the I-94 interchange on the east side of Billings.

KSVI is owned by Nexstar and I suspect the owners of KHMT, Mission Broadcasting, are affiliated with Nexstar since both stations' Form 387 are just about the same, word for word. Nexstar has been dragging its feet all over the country in the digital transition. As a final note, both of these stations were required to be at full power by 5-18-08. Neither of them will make it and I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC has something to say about it.

Hope this info helps.
post #23 of 89 Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info Mike.

It does seem like KSVI & KHMT must have some sort af alliance, they seem to have to much in coommon for it to be coincidence.

They both seem to have less commitment to providing the Billings area with quality broadcasting than say, KTVQ & KULR. Heck even PBS gives us a better signal here!

If you're listening KSVI & KHMT, I for one will forgive the past and embrace you with open arms. You need only give me FOX & ABC programming in HD!
post #24 of 89 Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KSVI and KHMT are co-owned. Well, not co-owned legally and in the paperwork, but Mission and Nexstar do this all over the place. The two companies are even listed together on Nexstar's ownership page!

Can I ask a favor? Can someone look at my Subchannel page (linked in my signature) and tell me if the listings for Billings are accurate? Is there a PBS digital signal in town yet?

Thanks, all. =)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #25 of 89 Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Hey Trip: No PBS digital in Billings yet.
* off-air analog channels: 2, 4, 6, 8, 14, 20 (MT-PBS), 36,and 48

What KSVI & KHMT (Mission and Nexstar) are doing is something like a "lease/management agreement". It reduces costs by sharing resources. Every market has them. Its done by almost every Broadcast entity. KTVQ has an alliance with CW. Most all radio stations would be out of business if it they couldn't find some way to share resources. KULR used to be paired with WB (until it merged with the CW). KULR will pair off with another network just as soon as one becomes viable and available.
post #26 of 89 Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Sorry if I mislead about PBS, I am NOT getting a digital signal. I just meant that I get a better analog PBS ch 20, than ksvi 6 & khmt 4.
post #27 of 89 Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Hi folks,

I live just a block south of the rims just north of 24th st. west, and I get CBS (2.1), CW (2.2), NBC (8.1) and NBC's weather (8.2) in digital with a cheapo $10 indoor non-amplified antenna. No sign of digital ABC or Fox.

I also pick up analog ABC better on 25 than 6, and FOX better on 27 than 4. And actually neither of those come in very well, but analog PBS, and the analog CBS and NBC channels come in fine, much better than ABC or FOX. I assume an outdoor antenna would pull in ABC and FOX better, but it sounds like I wouldn't get digital anyway, so I'm not going to bother right now.
post #28 of 89 Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 AM

Hi Matt:
You folks who live under the airport, and west, just aren't going to get an ABC or FOX signal off channels 6 (18-DTV) or 4 (22-DTV). those transmitters are way east of town and the rims are going to block you. 25 & 27 are analog, they're transmitting from the 'antenna farm' on Sacrifice Cliffs, and they should be receivable (nobody's saying if they'll be modified for digital later on, sure hope they will).
post #29 of 89 Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Hey guys,

I subscribe to Direct TV solely for the fact that I can get Sunday Ticket in HD. After watching the NFL all season in high def I was forced to watch the playoffs, including the Super Bowl, on that poor-excuse-for-a-station FOX 4. I applied for a waiver well in advance but was turned down. My countless pleas to FOX fell on deaf ears. About a month ago I was at one of the trade shows at the Metra and came across a guy selling Direct TV. He told me that in June, the Billings stations will be carried on Direct TV. I've tried to find more information on this but have had no luck. Has anyone else heard about this?
post #30 of 89 Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnye12 View Post

Hey guys,

I subscribe to Direct TV solely for the fact that I can get Sunday Ticket in HD. After watching the NFL all season in high def I was forced to watch the playoffs, including the Super Bowl, on that poor-excuse-for-a-station FOX 4. I applied for a waiver well in advance but was turned down. My countless pleas to FOX fell on deaf ears. About a month ago I was at one of the trade shows at the Metra and came across a guy selling Direct TV. He told me that in June, the Billings stations will be carried on Direct TV. I've tried to find more information on this but have had no luck. Has anyone else heard about this?

It is possible. A new satellite was launched last month that will greatly expand DirecTV's ability to broadcast Local Channels and National HD channels. DirecTV has not officially announced anything about Billings locals.

I emailed KTVQ a couple weeks ago and they already have agreement in place with DirecTV to broadcast both analog and digital (HD) (they are waiting on DirecTV).

I also emailed KULR and they said they do not have any agreements at this time.

Up until this last satellite, DirecTV has been limited with the bandwith they have to broadcast Local channels. This new satellite will pretty much allow DirecTV to broadcast any local networks they can get agreements with.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page