Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 521 Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerity View Post

got the new hd channels, which are great btw...but the signal on them is horrible...I dont have problems with the "old" hd chans, but tlc hd and weather channel especially are unwatchable...anybody else experiencing this or is it an isolated signal issue?

I don't see a problem with these channels on my Moxi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 521 Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM

k thanks guys i'll see what they say.
post #303 of 521 Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

It's no inside secret, but rather the requirements of Demographic Marketing Areas and Re-transmission consent.

North Wilkes is part of the the Greensboro DMA - as such they have access to these channels and they are part of their channel map

Hickory and Boone are part of the Charlotte DMA, as such they have access to the Charlotte channels.

Because North Wilkeboro is run from the Hickory operations, people in this area with QAM tuners can pick up both channels, but we cannot put them on the Hickory area channel maps due to DMA restrictions.

I wasn't going to say anything at first because I didn't want to chance losing the *only* HD channel I could receive , but in the Newland area I am getting WBTV-HD on channel 80-2. The UNCTV-DT channels are also in that upper range. I *do* subscribe to Digital Cable, and I can get almost everything that is on these upper channels with the exception of the HD channel. Still, though, is there any way possible to add any other HD channels to this group? It will probably be the ONLY WAY I'll get to see HD for years!

Thanks,
Johnny
post #304 of 521 Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds Nest View Post

I wasn't going to say anything at first because I didn't want to chance losing the *only* HD channel I could receive , but in the Newland area I am getting WBTV-HD on channel 80-2. The UNCTV-DT channels are also in that upper range. I *do* subscribe to Digital Cable, and I can get almost everything that is on these upper channels with the exception of the HD channel. Still, though, is there any way possible to add any other HD channels to this group? It will probably be the ONLY WAY I'll get to see HD for years!

Thanks,
Johnny

Fox Sports South is now in the clear - anything that's listed as Hi-Def Lifeline should be availible on any HD capable box or using a QAM tuner.

CSPAN2, TBN & INSP should also now be availible to people scanning for clear QAM channels

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #305 of 521 Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

anything that's listed as Hi-Def Lifeline should be availible on any HD capable box or using a QAM tuner.

Wow.. a cable company that's actually willing to tell you what you can get in the clear with a QAM Tuner. Kudos to you James!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #306 of 521 Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Wow.. a cable company that's actually willing to tell you what you can get in the clear with a QAM Tuner. Kudos to you James!

I'm all for passing info out - with phone support I used to always get yelled at for giving out way too much information... Though even I agree *some* customers will just dig themselves in deeper with that sort of thing.

If you're in a forum like this, then you're likely to be the type willing to research, experiment etc - so I'm all for it

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #307 of 521 Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

We try to kkep you up to date.. Hey how is that 60 cycle hum issue in your picture now..? new Power Supply was cut over and you should be good now, if not let me know.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #308 of 521 Old 08-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Is there any chance of getting the NFL Network this season?
post #309 of 521 Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiix2 View Post

Is there any chance of getting the NFL Network this season?

I am sure not. Charter sure doesn't seem to care about what programming its customers want. First we had the NFL Network, then they pull it. Then its the whole WCNC debacle, which is rapidly approaching 2 years now. Nobody at the Programming area of Charter seem to give a rip about what the customers want.
post #310 of 521 Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Johnny

Quote:

Fox Sports South is now in the clear - anything that's listed as Hi-Def Lifeline should be availible on any HD capable box or using a QAM tuner.

CSPAN2, TBN & INSP should also now be availible to people scanning for clear QAM channels

Sorry to be getting back to you so late on this. So far, I've seen no signs of Fox Sports South in HD. In fact, even though I'm getting the last 3 channels you mentioned via direct connection (I was getting 2 of those before anyway), I actually *lost* a few channels that I had been getting. One was the Fox channel in Spanish. That was good for watching an extra baseball game on Saturday that the Fox affliates in the U.S. didn't carry. Do you have any idea what channel Fox Sports South HD channel would be on in this area? Thanks for all your info, James.

Johnny
post #311 of 521 Old 08-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, anyone who didn't get the new lineup in the mail email me
(First name . Last name @ Chartercom.com) and let me know what county your in and I should be able to get you one - I've got them for all of the Western NC and Blue Ridge markets as well as the rest of our areas in SC / NC / VA.

I'm working up a QAM map for our techs in the near future so If you're a Clear QAM user let me know if you need QAM channel numbers

post #312 of 521 Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post

Info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14457470

FSN HD should be on channel 67.1

Thanks for trying to help. But, the channels in that list do not correspond with the way our system is set up. For example, we get WBTV-HD on channel 80-2 rather than on channel 72-2. Plus, we don't get anything above channel 100. We also get all of the Music Choice channels between channels 99 - 100. This is for he Avery County area. We don't even get the same thing Boone does.

Johnny
post #313 of 521 Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for trying to help. But, the channels in that list do not correspond with the way our system is set up. For example, we get WBTV-HD on channel 80-2 rather than on channel 72-2. Plus, we don't get anything above channel 100. We also get all of the Music Choice channels between channels 99 - 100. This is for he Avery County area. We don't even get the same thing Boone does.

Johnny

Avery is very different, they haven't fully upgraded everything there so I don't believe ya'll have access to any of the HD QAMs (clear or otherwise)

I've been told we are working to update and get them on par with Boone, but of course I know the people in Avery have been hearing that for a long time.

Hopefully one way or another (if nothing else, when it goes ADS or all digital) there should be enough bandwidth to bring ya'll HD.

post #314 of 521 Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Avery is very different, they haven't fully upgraded everything there so I don't believe ya'll have access to any of the HD QAMs (clear or otherwise)

I've been told we are working to update and get them on par with Boone, but of course I know the people in Avery have been hearing that for a long time.

Hopefully one way or another (if nothing else, when it goes ADS or all digital) there should be enough bandwidth to bring ya'll HD.

Well, right now we have been getting WBTV-DT (Charlotte) in Hi Def. That's the *only* channel though. I was hoping though that with the latest addition of HD channels they might add another one (or two) the same way. As I was saying earlier this HD channel is on 80-2 here in Avery County. It's just hard waiting for the 20th century to hit up here in the mountains. So, y'all enjoy your 21st century. We'll get there one day.

Johnny
post #315 of 521 Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Woo-Hoo!! I decided to scan through the upper channels on the QAM tuner today, and lo, and behold, I happened to find one more HD channel. It *is* the Fox Sports Net channel. It had been on all week here, but only as a test pattern. So, I had no idea what it was. But, around 6pm today I checked it out and they were showing the Oklahoma St-Washington St football game! Tremendous!

CharterJames, I don't know if you hade anything to do with this either directly or indirectly. But, if you did, I want to thank you! At least one thing has gone right for me today.

- Johnny (now enjoying TWO HD channels)
post #316 of 521 Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM

I guess I spoke too soon. After the football game and post-game show was over, Fox Sport South HD went back to the color bar test pattern. So, I guess I'll have to wait for the next ball game and see if the HD part comes back on.

- Johnny
post #317 of 521 Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 PM

I recently purchased a HDTV this summer, and brought it with me to ASU this semester. I was pleasantly surprised to find CBSHD my first week while surfing the channels. I myself haven't found FSNHD, but the CSPAN2 and the other channels you've mentioned I do have. Do you know of any other digital channels that the campus television network receives?
post #318 of 521 Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 AM

The last 2 days, I have not been receiving WSOC-HD (ch 780), but all the other HD channels are fine. Has anyone else been having any problems with it? It seems to be coming through the HD cable box we have, but not through the CableCards we have into out TiVo Series 3. Any ideas??
post #319 of 521 Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

The last 2 days, I have not been receiving WSOC-HD (ch 780), but all the other HD channels are fine. Has anyone else been having any problems with it? It seems to be coming through the HD cable box we have, but not through the CableCards we have into out TiVo Series 3. Any ideas??

The Tivo tuners might have a different signal fault tolerance than the TV - we get this often with moxi boxes (which have a very low fault tolerance) - they'll lose a channel before other boxes do.

Before you call in a tech, I'd recommend taking into account your line setup.

If you know how many times your line's split and where the splitters are, you'll want to see if you can optimize that.

Ideally you want as few splits as possible and you'll want to arrange the splitters for minimal signal loss. Should have have a line you want to keep, but aren't using, it needs to be terminated to make sure you don't get any bleed or interfearance (some of the radio, TV and Cell towers around here can skew your signal if you've got an unterminated wire or jack open on a splitter.)

post #320 of 521 Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post

I recently purchased a HDTV this summer, and brought it with me to ASU this semester. I was pleasantly surprised to find CBSHD my first week while surfing the channels. I myself haven't found FSNHD, but the CSPAN2 and the other channels you've mentioned I do have. Do you know of any other digital channels that the campus television network receives?

FSN HD will be hard to catch as it's not a full time channel - you'll have to keep an eye on the web to see when there's going to be content.

Unless ASU is pumping out something different in their buildings (which is not hard, they'd just need to block out a specific QAM and replace it with their own) you should be able to get the Music Choices, all the local HDs (plus FSN) and the Digital PBS channels.

post #321 of 521 Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:

The Tivo tuners might have a different signal fault tolerance than the TV - we get this often with moxi boxes (which have a very low fault tolerance) - they'll lose a channel before other boxes do.

Before you call in a tech, I'd recommend taking into account your line setup.

If you know how many times your line's split and where the splitters are, you'll want to see if you can optimize that.

Ideally you want as few splits as possible and you'll want to arrange the splitters for minimal signal loss. Should have have a line you want to keep, but aren't using, it needs to be terminated to make sure you don't get any bleed or interfearance (some of the radio, TV and Cell towers around here can skew your signal if you've got an unterminated wire or jack open on a splitter.)

Thanks for the info. I actually seemed to solve the problem by just re-booting the TiVo. It seemed as if it just needed a fresh signal or something, but all has worked fine since.
post #322 of 521 Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

Thanks for the info. I actually seemed to solve the problem by just re-booting the TiVo. It seemed as if it just needed a fresh signal or something, but all has worked fine since.

yep, any digital tuner has the ability to adjust it's power level to clear up the picture (think of auto tuning on a VCR) but they only go up... so if the problem gets fixed, you've got to power-cycle or reset the unit to start back at the lowest levels

post #323 of 521 Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 AM

James,

Are there any more channels to be added soon? The first wave was great and I am so glad CBS college sports got added.
post #324 of 521 Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupsco View Post

James,

Are there any more channels to be added soon? The first wave was great and I am so glad CBS college sports got added.

I believe there is another wave just before the end of the year, but I'm not 100% certain of it.

However I do know for the Ashville market they'll be migrating to TV Guide A25 on the boxes in the next month or so - this will resolve alot of DVR recording issues as well as some VOD issues.

post #325 of 521 Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe there is another wave just before the end of the year, but I'm not 100% certain of it.

However I do know for the Ashville market they'll be migrating to TV Guide A25 on the boxes in the next month or so - this will resolve alot of DVR recording issues as well as some VOD issues.

Here's a link from a Broadcasting & Cable Article that details the features included in A25: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6394530.html

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #326 of 521 Old 09-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It looks like the migration to TV Guide A25 happened over the weekend (while I was out of town). CharterJames, would the following from the "Review Configuration" Screen of the Cable Box Setup be an indication of this migration?

S/W Ver: 75.59 - a25p2-2.S1.r-8
Firmware : 18.45

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #327 of 521 Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM

I am in Charlotte and running Mythtv systems for my HD content. Does anybody know the frequency (freqid) of Universal HD?
post #328 of 521 Old 09-27-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdwt73 View Post

I am in Charlotte and running Mythtv systems for my HD content. Does anybody know the frequency (freqid) of Universal HD?

My info has ch 87..@ 603 mhz.. But I haven't actually confirmed with a tv.That's for TWC charlotte,
which is the better thread to be in.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #329 of 521 Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 AM

LOL - This is what I get for trying to do to much at one time. I thought I was in TWC - sorry guys and thanks for the reply...
post #330 of 521 Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 PM

What exactly *did* happen with the changes to UNC-TV? I guess my real question should be what happened to UNC-ED? On my system (Avery County) it appears they've replaced UNC-ED with UNC-HD. Of course, the HD channel is having a *lot* of problems here. Did they move UNC-ED to another channel?

CharterJames, do you know if UNC-ED will be coming back on the Avery system? I really enjoyed that channel. It had a lot of the really good "How to" shows on it.

-Johnny
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page