Boone/Hickory, NC - Charter - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Boone/Hickory, NC - Charter

Local HDTV Info and Reception

Sincerity's Avatar Sincerity
08:42 PM Liked: 10
post #61 of 523
03-22-2007 | Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 2005
wow thanks so much for the quick and detailed response...great to know that you guys are on to abc...that is wonderful news...as far as the forward signal issue goes....I know originally I had a lot of signal issues so they pretty much rewired the house, and there are splitters used, at least 3 of them but I am not sure which ones....Its funny its only on mHD though. Its not a huge deal and I can certainly live with that as long as its the only channel messing up. I am not exactly sure what kinda splitters I have though.

sounds like the mlb package will be offered they're just slow rolling it out...nice. and I can understand the nba package not being offered..although it would be nice for me at least

either way man you're a great asset to this forum and I appreciate your time.
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
11:59 AM Liked: 10
post #62 of 523
03-23-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Apparently InDemand is still working on it, but it's obivious that customer feedback is affecting them!

http://www.indemand.com/sports/mlb/index.jsp
Dr. Tobias Funke's Avatar Dr. Tobias Funke
12:27 AM Liked: 10
post #63 of 523
03-27-2007 | Posts: 5
Joined: Nov 2006
Anyone else having an issue with the Moxi and the channel guide for Universal HD? For the past couple of weeks, every program comes up as "No data available" and the info just says "Universal HD Satellite Woodbury." Nothing's wrong with the signal of the channel, but it's hard to tell what program is on or what program is coming on later when no data is available.

I am also noticing the pixellation issue with MHD, but it's very intermittent. I'm not using any splitters, so maybe the problem is rooted elsewhere?
Machine-Head's Avatar Machine-Head
11:22 AM Liked: 10
post #64 of 523
03-27-2007 | Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 2007
Thanks Charter James for all the GREAT info. Looking forward to hearing more from you. I emailed you.

B
Sincerity's Avatar Sincerity
05:53 PM Liked: 10
post #65 of 523
03-29-2007 | Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Tobias Funke View Post

Anyone else having an issue with the Moxi and the channel guide for Universal HD? For the past couple of weeks, every program comes up as "No data available" and the info just says "Universal HD Satellite Woodbury." Nothing's wrong with the signal of the channel, but it's hard to tell what program is on or what program is coming on later when no data is available.

I am also noticing the pixellation issue with MHD, but it's very intermittent. I'm not using any splitters, so maybe the problem is rooted elsewhere?

yea universal hd doesn't have channel nfo available...sounds like we're in the same boat.
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
09:20 AM Liked: 10
post #66 of 523
04-02-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
For reasons unknown apparently Charter has assumed that InDemand will not be able to offer us MLB Extra Innings

HOWEVER - we are sending out a mailer that will offer a Rebate for those who have ordered MLB in the past or where planning on ordering MLB this season for MLB TV. - Here's the basic text of the mailer -

Dear Charter MLB Fan,

Charter Communications® is committed to bringing you the baseball games you want to watch. Unfortunately, Charter will be unable to offer you the 2007 MLB Extra Innings Package. That's why we're offering you a full rebate on an Internet subscription to the 2007 MLB.TV Broadband Out-of-Market Game Package - an $89.95 value!

See All The Action And More on your PC!
Watch every 2007 regular season out-of-market game live
Access MLB.TV from any computer with a high-speed Internet connection
Plus, get game day audio, searchable video, extended highlights and more

All You Have To Do Is Sign Up!

Taking advantage of this great offer is simple. Just follow these steps and get all the 2007 baseball a fan could ask for.

1. Go to MLB.com and select Audio/Video, then MLB.TV Live and On Demand.

2. Complete the rebate form at www.charter.com/mlb and follow the directions for reimbursement.

3. Access MLB.TV from any computer with a high-speed Internet connection.

Because you are a valued Charter Digital Cable® customer, we hope you'll take advantage of this offer. We strive to provide you with the best cable service possible and look forward to serving you throughout the 2007 baseball season
and beyond.

Sincerely,
Charter Communications



Local (and call center) CSRs will not be able to credit or really have anything to do with this promotion - it's all automated from the MLB.TV and Charter.com websites.

I have no idea what's going on with whatever is going on at InDemand that's keeping us from having MLB, I'm just glad someone on our end did at least something to give our customers access to games that aren't on anywhere else!

If you don't get a copy of the mailer let me know and I can see what I can do - I assume it should let you go to the website even if you didn't get the mailer.

Again, the best way to reach me is to take my first and last name from the signature and send an email to "firstname.lastname@chartercom.com" I don't put it in posts in the hopes of reducing SPAM
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
09:21 AM Liked: 10
post #67 of 523
04-02-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
We should have Universal fixed - apparently when they redid the channel lineup someone told Digeo it was going to be on a different channel, so the moxi boxes didn't know where to get their Universal info on.
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
09:27 AM Liked: 10
post #68 of 523
04-02-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Tobias Funke View Post

Anyone else having an issue with the Moxi and the channel guide for Universal HD? For the past couple of weeks, every program comes up as "No data available" and the info just says "Universal HD Satellite Woodbury." Nothing's wrong with the signal of the channel, but it's hard to tell what program is on or what program is coming on later when no data is available.

I am also noticing the pixellation issue with MHD, but it's very intermittent. I'm not using any splitters, so maybe the problem is rooted elsewhere?


MDH should not be pixellating - if your pixels in large blocks (this is often called Tileing) that's usually an indication of a signal issue. I recommend giving a call to the 888-Get Charter to schedule a trouble call or if you just can't deal with the call centers (they tend to drive me nuts) just drop by your local office and talk to one of the Front Counter people and they should be able to set up a Trouble call.

ESPN2 HD was having some issues earlier this morning - it's now cleared up. Feel free to drop me an email if that one goes bonkers again!
Sincerity's Avatar Sincerity
12:25 PM Liked: 10
post #69 of 523
04-02-2007 | Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

For reasons unknown apparently Charter has assumed that InDemand will not be able to offer us MLB Extra Innings

HOWEVER - we are sending out a mailer that will offer a Rebate for those who have ordered MLB in the past or where planning on ordering MLB this season for MLB TV. - Here's the basic text of the mailer -

Dear Charter MLB Fan,

Charter Communications® is committed to bringing you the baseball games you want to watch. Unfortunately, Charter will be unable to offer you the 2007 MLB Extra Innings Package. That's why we're offering you a full rebate on an Internet subscription to the 2007 MLB.TV Broadband Out-of-Market Game Package - an $89.95 value!

See All The Action And More on your PC!
Watch every 2007 regular season out-of-market game live
Access MLB.TV from any computer with a high-speed Internet connection
Plus, get game day audio, searchable video, extended highlights and more

All You Have To Do Is Sign Up!

Taking advantage of this great offer is simple. Just follow these steps and get all the 2007 baseball a fan could ask for.

1. Go to MLB.com and select Audio/Video, then MLB.TV Live and On Demand.

2. Complete the rebate form at www.charter.com/mlb and follow the directions for reimbursement.

3. Access MLB.TV from any computer with a high-speed Internet connection.

Because you are a valued Charter Digital Cable® customer, we hope you'll take advantage of this offer. We strive to provide you with the best cable service possible and look forward to serving you throughout the 2007 baseball season
and beyond.

Sincerely,
Charter Communications



Local (and call center) CSRs will not be able to credit or really have anything to do with this promotion - it's all automated from the MLB.TV and Charter.com websites.

I have no idea what's going on with whatever is going on at InDemand that's keeping us from having MLB, I'm just glad someone on our end did at least something to give our customers access to games that aren't on anywhere else!

If you don't get a copy of the mailer let me know and I can see what I can do - I assume it should let you go to the website even if you didn't get the mailer.

Again, the best way to reach me is to take my first and last name from the signature and send an email to "firstname.lastname@chartercom.com" I don't put it in posts in the hopes of reducing SPAM

once again my man thanks for looking out...my jaw dropped when I read this information. I had no idea charter would take it upon themselves to rebate this and had already purchased the mlb package from mlb.tv. That is absolutely great news. Charter comes through! Thanks again for your efforts and all of the great information.

FYI for people thinking about signing up for mlb.tv...which now why wouldnt you with the rebate...as far as the premium service goes..the signal quality is not astonishing as far as the difference in between the regular 89.99 and the premium 119.99 service...although I can tell a difference in the screen size...so if you're watching full screen the quality will be better with the premium. It's kinda hard to explain, a wider resolution I guess you could say.

going to fill out my rebate now!
Chapper1's Avatar Chapper1
08:40 AM Liked: 10
post #70 of 523
04-05-2007 | Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 2006
Has anyone else been noticing really bad pixilation and loss of sound on ESPN2HD? It is totally unwatchable, as the pixel likes are all over the place. Most of the time it is frozen. ESPNHD seems to keep picture, but it is seeming to stutter quite a bit in sound.
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
11:45 AM Liked: 10
post #71 of 523
04-05-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

Has anyone else been noticing really bad pixilation and loss of sound on ESPN2HD? It is totally unwatchable, as the pixel likes are all over the place. Most of the time it is frozen. ESPNHD seems to keep picture, but it is seeming to stutter quite a bit in sound.

Not only have we noticed it, we've been working on it - I've seen bands of out of place pixels popping up - it comes and goes - right now it's pretty stable -

Sound like you might have some localized signal issues making yours worse if your getting bad audio and frozen pictures - you might want to call 888-Get-Charter and schedule a technician to check out your line - that sounds like forward signal loss, or feel free to drop by one of our offices and talk to a CSR in person and request a service call!
Chapper1's Avatar Chapper1
03:54 PM Liked: 10
post #72 of 523
04-05-2007 | Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 2006
It was bad this morning, but I am having no problems this afternoon. Been flipping between ESPNHD and ESPN2HD, watching the NCAA Frozen Four and PTI/ATH/Sportscenter with no issues at all now.
Sincerity's Avatar Sincerity
09:03 AM Liked: 10
post #73 of 523
04-09-2007 | Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

It was bad this morning, but I am having no problems this afternoon. Been flipping between ESPNHD and ESPN2HD, watching the NCAA Frozen Four and PTI/ATH/Sportscenter with no issues at all now.

yea I was having problems the other day although I can't put my finger on which day it was...everything looks fine now though...good to know Charter was getting the problem adn it wasnt just my signal though!
popweaverhdtv's Avatar popweaverhdtv
06:34 PM Liked: 10
post #74 of 523
04-15-2007 | Posts: 871
Joined: Sep 2006
CharterJames, do you have any contacts with the Asheville office to where you could find out when they're going to be adding the HD signals of WLOS (ABC) and WMYA (MyNetwork TV) to their lineups? The deal was finally reached between the two and haven't been able to find an answer from either end (so far). Thank you for any info that you might be able to gather and pass to the rest of us in AVL!
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
07:10 AM Liked: 10
post #75 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

CharterJames, do you have any contacts with the Asheville office to where you could find out when they're going to be adding the HD signals of WLOS (ABC) and WMYA (MyNetwork TV) to their lineups? The deal was finally reached between the two and haven't been able to find an answer from either end (so far). Thank you for any info that you might be able to gather and pass to the rest of us in AVL!

Sorry I didn't get this one until recently - Hickory and Ashville share the same marketing team so I can hit their Marketing manager to see if we are working on them!
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
07:13 AM Liked: 10
post #76 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Ladies and Gentlemen, Techies, Geeks and sports fans...

Charter has an agreement in place for MLB Extra innings and it is now availible.

We will be running it on channels 600-613 (three additional game channels!) and it should be availible in all markets that have had it before (Catawba, Alexander, Lincoln, Burke, Caldwell Counties as well as the North Wilkes market)
Chapper1's Avatar Chapper1
09:52 AM Liked: 10
post #77 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 2006
James,
Can you find out any updates on the WCNC negotiations? This is going on almost 6 months now and it is really aggravating.
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
10:21 AM Liked: 10
post #78 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Unfortunately no... apparently the lawyer wars continue
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
10:22 AM Liked: 10
post #79 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

CharterJames, do you have any contacts with the Asheville office to where you could find out when they're going to be adding the HD signals of WLOS (ABC) and WMYA (MyNetwork TV) to their lineups? The deal was finally reached between the two and haven't been able to find an answer from either end (so far). Thank you for any info that you might be able to gather and pass to the rest of us in AVL!


My contacts in Ashville tell me WLOS should be up within a few days in Ashville and WMYA should be in the works in the near future!
Chapper1's Avatar Chapper1
11:51 AM Liked: 10
post #80 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Unfortunately no... apparently the lawyer wars continue

Thanks for the update, even if I didn't get the news I hoped for. I guess I was hoping that since Sinclair and Charter were able to make thier agreement that that would mean that an agreement with Belo would follow soon after.
gayle28607's Avatar gayle28607
02:50 PM Liked: 10
post #81 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 2006
Here's another question for you, CharterJames,

If a person has basic cable only, what digital channels would they expect to get with no box and just the regular tuner and the QAM tuner on a digital television?

This keeps being unclear to me, as most people seem to access Hickory area Charter cable through a box.

Thanks for monitoring this forum!
popweaverhdtv's Avatar popweaverhdtv
03:56 PM Liked: 10
post #82 of 523
05-09-2007 | Posts: 871
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

My contacts in Ashville tell me WLOS should be up within a few days in Ashville and WMYA should be in the works in the near future!

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Thank you, James! This is the best news that I've heard since the announcement was made! If you hear about this changing, please let us know! Take care!
popweaverhdtv's Avatar popweaverhdtv
01:20 PM Liked: 10
post #83 of 523
05-11-2007 | Posts: 871
Joined: Sep 2006
As said by CharterJames' sources, WLOS-HD was added onto lineups in the Western Carolinas this morning!!!! The picture looks great when compared against the analog signal.

The wait continues for WMYA-HD and begins for any other HD Channels coming down the pike (anything soon?). Thank you for the info, CharterJames.
Chapper1's Avatar Chapper1
07:54 PM Liked: 10
post #84 of 523
05-12-2007 | Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 2006
I have noticed that this evening I am having significant audio drops on WCCB-HD (Fox Charlotte). It drops about every 10 seconds for about 3 seconds at a time. Very annoying. Is anyone else having that issue? It is hot happening on the analog channel.
bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe
02:01 PM Liked: 75
post #85 of 523
05-13-2007 | Posts: 6,488
Joined: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

I have noticed that this evening I am having significant audio drops on WCCB-HD (Fox Charlotte). It drops about every 10 seconds for about 3 seconds at a time. Very annoying. Is anyone else having that issue? It is hot happening on the analog channel.

I'm listening to the race here at home Sunday afternnon via off-air and all is fine, and we haven't had anyother compliants from off-air or TWC.

Suggest calling in to Charter, I'm sure James will be glad to assist you as well.
Chapper1's Avatar Chapper1
03:39 PM Liked: 10
post #86 of 523
05-13-2007 | Posts: 44
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I'm listening to the race here at home Sunday afternnon via off-air and all is fine, and we haven't had anyother compliants from off-air or TWC.

Suggest calling in to Charter, I'm sure James will be glad to assist you as well.

I contacted both the station and Charter about it. About 100 laps into the race today, the picture froze then came back, with picture and sound intact. Whatever it was, it got fixed...
Sincerity's Avatar Sincerity
07:07 AM Liked: 10
post #87 of 523
05-25-2007 | Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen, Techies, Geeks and sports fans...

Charter has an agreement in place for MLB Extra innings and it is now availible.

We will be running it on channels 600-613 (three additional game channels!) and it should be availible in all markets that have had it before (Catawba, Alexander, Lincoln, Burke, Caldwell Counties as well as the North Wilkes market)


while this is good news...i'm somewhat aggravated now that I have this mlb.tv thing. I still havnt seen the 22.xx a month credited to my bill for four months yet....hopefully next month. Looks like i'll be subscribing to this extra innings as well. It would rock if they would just subtract the 89.99 off of the EI ticket. thanks as always for info.
Sincerity's Avatar Sincerity
01:36 PM Liked: 10
post #88 of 523
07-08-2007 | Posts: 112
Joined: Oct 2005
hey James, when should we expect 4.1 for our moxi boxes? I know Monday is the start of a 10 day rollout or whatever but was just wondering if you had the inside track. Thanks!
indiix2's Avatar indiix2
07:23 PM Liked: 10
post #89 of 523
07-08-2007 | Posts: 41
Joined: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerity View Post

hey James, when should we expect 4.1 for our moxi boxes? I know Monday is the start of a 10 day rollout or whatever but was just wondering if you had the inside track. Thanks!

Yes James (hi this is Matt J, i've emailed you off and on for a few years now!) What will version 4.1 offer us (i.e. what features did charter keep on the diego software).

Also seem to have a weird issue with my Moxi box. It seems to like to spontaneously reboot itself about 3 times a day, always, it seems, right at the climax of a movie or when i'm recording something. This is a refurbed box and it's my 3rd moxi box in as many years.


indiix2
CharterJames's Avatar CharterJames
05:57 AM Liked: 10
post #90 of 523
07-09-2007 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2007
So far the primary word is we should be splitting each markets into segments and deploying the software in the early morning/late evening starting today (July 9th) and going through the 11th. So in theory everyone should be updated by the 11th.

Features:
Improved Menu Performance (faster menu operation)

Time Forward Feature with Moxi Menu

Support for External Hard Drives (rear panel USB 2.0 ports only)

Support for VOD Barkers (Charter is not planning to use this feature at this time)

Hard Drive Capacity Meter

Service Messages

Addition of Eight New Games (there's been some issues with game copyright fees, so at this time I don't know if they will go out to all)

DOCSIS and other Fixes (essentually hardware optimization)


Other "inside" news - for those following the FCC mandate for July 2007 on CableCards/Boxes with seperatable encryption - We have tested the new 6416 DVR (newer that the DCT6416 - but only different in it's physical design and it's reliance on cableCARD) and it works great - The big news about this is it should open up the third party options within a year - from what I'm reading the 3rd party Moxi should be launching next fall - this will be a direct from DIGEO box (it's been talked about in the Moxi thread) and I'm greatly anticipating the multi-room DVR unit which will include what is essentually a next-generation BMC9022 (with a built-in 5.1 home theater as well as a DVD player) as well as the moxi-mate box for viewing your content in another room. - furthermore the box is designed to be a network appliance rather than having it's own cable modem - so it will pull it's data for Ticker, Software updates and more from the internet and has the ability to work with your computers to share photos and music across your network (so your home theater/moxi can play music off of a shared computer etc)

No news on if it will share video content with computers at this time thought.


P.S.
Hiyya Matt, I was wondering when I'd see a few of my "regulars" say hi on here

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3