post #121 of 521 Old 07-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKYStormFront View Post

eh... from my experience if it works don't mess with it... if it really starts to get on my nerves i'll call, one good example was the end fight sequence to the matrix revolutions when neo's fighting agent smith with all the rain and lightening. it was pixelated really bad. i tried turning off 1080i so it went to 720p and didn't change anything so i don't think it's the tv... might be but it seems to be pretty common from what i've read on here so far over the past few days. i appreciate your info james, it's nice to have someone to ask these questions that can comprehend what i'm saying and realize i'm not a total idiot when it comes to this stuff (i almost worked for prince telecom till i found out how awful they were...)

When I first connected my moxi to my Vizio I had a horrible picture on analog, a decent one on Digital and only a great one on HD - and this was on programming I had recorded and viewed on my older TV that looked great.

I switched to the 6416 since we had just gotten them in at that point and I was floored by the change in picture quality - so much better. While I miss the moxi guide (especially now that those boxes are supposed to support USB drives) I wouldn't go back to the pixelation / tiling I had with the moxi ... and I know it's the combination of my Vizio and the Moxi because it was perfect when I used my 27in TV (in fact, for a few months I moved that moxi to my stepson's room where he inherited the old 27in tube) - For some reason the pixelation looks worse on larger projection, plasma and LCD screens - conventional tubes work great with moxi. I'm thinking it's the grade of analog/digital tuner they put in them - as we also had this complaint about our older DCT 5200 HD boxes (HD looked great, analog sucked...)

Just thought I'd add what I've seen there since you've been mentioning pixelation and just mentioned you where using a Vizio

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 521 Old 07-24-2007, 06:27 AM

yeah i figured out it was the cable itself cause i played a game at native res (1366x768@60Hz) and it didn't pixel up at all, it looked really really good. now that i've got an EHD i can't switch back to the other box so i'll just have to live with it for now. my dad has a 51" hitatchi CRT and it does the same pixelation during fast action and especially during strobing lights, but it also doesn't look as good as my LCD 8)

Patrick
MySpace
post #123 of 521 Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Man I hope the new boxes come in soon. I am really itching to see how much better they are. Wife talked to her friends that have Tivo and she wants that now. I am trying to hold her off for the new boxes but if they aren't here by next week it's all over....
post #124 of 521 Old 07-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored View Post

Man I hope the new boxes come in soon. I am really itching to see how much better they are. Wife talked to her friends that have Tivo and she wants that now. I am trying to hold her off for the new boxes but if they aren't here by next week it's all over....

Well... I guess the good news is the new TIVO HD is about half the price of the Series 3 DVR - so if you have to buy a new toy, it won't be quite as pricy - We should have the new DVRs in your market

Also we should be pushing out the new HD boxes soon - these are the OCAP version of the DCT 5200/6200 Hd box we already have -again other than looks you won't notice any real difference... EXCEPT (drum roll) HDMI!!!!!

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #125 of 521 Old 07-26-2007, 06:33 AM

I would be happy to get my hands on even one DCH 6416 for the time being to test it out. Unfortunately, the local office says they are all out of any new DVR's of any style.

As for the Tivo, do you allow users to install their own cable cards or is it a service call? I've been reading that it takes about 4-5 cablecards to get 2 that work correctly. I also enjoy the free channels on demand when I'm bored that Charter has and I know I'll lose them by going to Tivo.
post #126 of 521 Old 07-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored View Post

I would be happy to get my hands on even one DCH 6416 for the time being to test it out. Unfortunately, the local office says they are all out of any new DVR's of any style.

As for the Tivo, do you allow users to install their own cable cards or is it a service call? I've been reading that it takes about 4-5 cablecards to get 2 that work correctly. I also enjoy the free channels on demand when I'm bored that Charter has and I know I'll lose them by going to Tivo.

If done correctly a TIVO can be done on the first shot - the big trick no one tells you unless you dig in their forum is that you have to put in only the first card, initialize it, program it, test it - then the second card. Most techs are starting to wise up to the fact they should have than one card on them and from what I've been told by TIVO the S3 should work with all the old cards and the M Modules - the HD should as well.

Which office are you calling? I know Hickory has them, I'm not so sure about our inventory for Boone and North Wilkes.

Right now no VOD on anything card based (other than our new OCAP boxes) which is one of the reasons I don't think I could get away with putting one in the living room (We all use the VOD pretty heavily - from kids to the Wife and I)

post #127 of 521 Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Well... I guess the good news is the new TIVO HD is about half the price of the Series 3 DVR - so if you have to buy a new toy, it won't be quite as pricy - We should have the new DVRs in your market

Also we should be pushing out the new HD boxes soon - these are the OCAP version of the DCT 5200/6200 Hd box we already have -again other than looks you won't notice any real difference... EXCEPT (drum roll) HDMI!!!!!

Can you make sure to notify us when these new HD boxes are available? Will we have any issues with swapping them out with the existing box?
post #128 of 521 Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post

Can you make sure to notify us when these new HD boxes are available? Will we have any issues with swapping them out with the existing box?

I'll try to see if they have any in the Lenoir Office today - It should be easier to swap an HD box out once we have a good number of them in inventory as I know alot of people would prefer the HDMI output over the DVI. Most offices will try to accomodate a customer if they have a need for a specific output.

post #129 of 521 Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Currently, I am doing my output via component because when I called to order the box, the call center guy said the DVI port was disabled on the boxes. So I bought component cables, only to find out later that the DVI does work. I would love to be able to use HDMI though
post #130 of 521 Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM

Picked up my two new DCH-6416 boxes today - Thanks again James

Was trying to search through the threads but has anyone tried to install an external hard drive on these new boxes? That will be the cream of the crop and keep the wife mucho mucho happy.
post #131 of 521 Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM

My oh my James was right. Anybody ready to throw their Moxi out the window go get one of the new DCH-6416 DVR's.

Pros:
Quiet - Didn't realize how loud those Moxi's were until I unplugged them.
Fast menus - No more click and wait
HDMI!
A real guide...click guide and your there, no click this then that, etc to get to what you want.
Small Footprint - Much smaller than the Moxi
160GB hard drive

Cons:
No more fancy moxi menus, more basic but everything you need.

If you couldn't tell we are much happier with the new boxes.
post #132 of 521 Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Glad to have been able to help out there - Like you, I miss the guide on the moxi - but I won't go back unless they make a quieter moxi with a better digital / analog tuner!

As for the expansion - I know it's come up a few times by non-moxi users in the moxi thread - I've been researching it and pushing it to our corporate offices especially since moxi has it - We want to push the 6416 as equal or better we need to get that feature enabled.

From what I'm reading in motorola documention - once enabled it should work via USB or External SATA. For now it does not seem to be enabled and I haven't figured out how to enable it. I have tried taking a hard drive from an old 6208 (Motorola's first gen DVR) putting it in a USB case and hopeing that since it was already formatted with a moto-dvr HD image that it would recognize - no such luck.

I'll definitely be posting here when I figure it out!!!

post #133 of 521 Old 07-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Hi CharterJames,

Have you heard any new rumblings within the Charter pipeline (no pun intended) of any further expansion of HD for the Western Carolinas (particularly Asheville/Buncombe Co.) in the coming months? I'm sure the rest of the Charter coverage area's wanting to know, as well. Any info that you can provide is very much appreciated! Not aching for any particular channel anytime soon (especially since we've now got ABC in the mix)...

Thanks!

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #134 of 521 Old 08-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Ironically, I started @ Charter as "Pipeline" support so I guess it should be no suprise I know what's rumbling

I don't know specifics, but I do know we are ramping up for some major editions -
I believe there will be a push in the next 6 months or so to migrate several expanded basic networks to Digital so we can have enough bandwidth to handle the new HD channels coming not only that... but it's my understanding the recent upgrades last week for VOD are a major step towards supporting HD-VOD

I know Ashville is pretty much in the same boat - I'm not sure if they ran their VOD update Monday morning, but I know if they haven't - they will soon. They have aligned our markets pretty tightly and we should be launching any new services at the same time (except for locals of course)

post #135 of 521 Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 AM

HD-VOD would be awesome, as we tend to use our VOD a lot. Any additions to the HD lineup would be great. Especially to those of us in the Hickory market, who have lost NBC. I still call about that often.
post #136 of 521 Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

yeah, I wish that agreement with Belo would finally go through

post #137 of 521 Old 08-01-2007, 07:20 AM

Just hooked up the 6416 and its like using dos instead of windows when compared to moxi....
I got it hooked up via hdmi and sd picture does look a little better the hd picture is nearly the same as with component.
I thought I would get a smoother transition with the 6416 between hd and sd, the moxi would switch channels in about second in a half. Seems like I am waiting three seconds or more to go back and forth on this.. ((((have some unfounded worry as i watch my new tv switch between hd and sd)))
Talked to charter yesterday to bring me back my moxi box. Will charter get new moxi boxes with hdmi???
post #138 of 521 Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

Ironically, I started @ Charter as "Pipeline" support so I guess it should be no suprise I know what's rumbling

I don't know specifics, but I do know we are ramping up for some major editions -
I believe there will be a push in the next 6 months or so to migrate several expanded basic networks to Digital so we can have enough bandwidth to handle the new HD channels coming not only that... but it's my understanding the recent upgrades last week for VOD are a major step towards supporting HD-VOD

I know Ashville is pretty much in the same boat - I'm not sure if they ran their VOD update Monday morning, but I know if they haven't - they will soon. They have aligned our markets pretty tightly and we should be launching any new services at the same time (except for locals of course)

Thank you for the info. It gives me something to look forward to during the coming months....HD-VOD and even more mainstream channels in HD. I'd even do the DVR thing if I had the need to use it a lot...Let us know if you hear anything new from the "pipeline".

Thanks,
-bk

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #139 of 521 Old 08-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlerclak View Post

Just hooked up the 6416 and its like using dos instead of windows when compared to moxi....
I got it hooked up via hdmi and sd picture does look a little better the hd picture is nearly the same as with component.
I thought I would get a smoother transition with the 6416 between hd and sd, the moxi would switch channels in about second in a half. Seems like I am waiting three seconds or more to go back and forth on this.. ((((have some unfounded worry as i watch my new tv switch between hd and sd)))
Talked to charter yesterday to bring me back my moxi box. Will charter get new moxi boxes with hdmi???

Sorry, VOD issues last week with a computer crash at the same time - not a good time to be me *LOL*

I have mixed news on the new moxi in this market - I do not think Charter will be add the cablecard/OCAP moxi to thier standard box lineup - that's the bad news

The good news is the nature of OCAP - since the word's gone open-cable - that means anyone who gets a OCAP box will only need a cable card from us - the downside is Digeo's Retail Moxi boxes will probably not support VOD from the get-go. Knowing they can remote update software (future moxi boxes will require a network connection rather than using a built in cable modem) - it should "in theory" be no big deal for them to adapt to the Java based VOD once it's standardized and launched (this is part of the whole OCAP migration)

The offshoot of this, I'm hoping, is if all VOD platforms are standarized Java, they should be able to run on anything with an authorized cable connection that was created to OCAP standards - Pretty much all OCAP boxes and possibly some of the 2007 (maybe some 2006) cable card enabled TVs.

post #140 of 521 Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Just a quick Warning - The Hickory Headend suffered a failure of one of our backup generators last night when someone got into a nasty wreck - We had all sorts of issues that have largely been corrected now - however this is one other casualty - our Digeo Server

Right now Ticker works and people are able to get updated programming - however because the VOD metadata rests on that server - VOD is unavailible (only on BMC 90xx boxes) until we get the replacement up and running.

Fortunately they've got a spare in SC and one of our guys is running to get it now. We hope to have it up, loaded and ready to go by 6pm tonight, but given murphy's law we're telling people over the phone it may be as long as 24 hours.

I've cross posted this to the Moxi BMC90xx thread as well

This morning we had issues with one of the forward servers so most people in Catawba and Alexander counties (possibly others) might have been effected. I know my home box(s) in Caldwell County was not. Modem service and Telephony was also affected by the power outage. The good news is that all of that (other than Moxi VOD) should have been fixed by 11am this morning. I know Catawba/Alexander and Caldwell are working without issue.

post #141 of 521 Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Just for a quick FYI - all of last week's issues should have been cleared up as of Thursday evening!

post #142 of 521 Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I've gotten several calls from people who are having issues with CableCARD TVs not getting in guide data -

The guide data comes in from PBS and apparently WUNC's connection to the system is dead - we are getting our feed, but they aren't transmitting this data down the feed - so if you're getting your data from Charlotte, chances are you're cablecard isn't getting data and won't anytime soon.

This should affect video services, you just won't know what's on.

Good news is they are working on getting it fixed and it will hopefully be resolved soon!

post #143 of 521 Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM

CharterJames,
I am using Charter here in Hickory and wanted to thank you for all your help and info on here. It is much appreciated.

Just purchased the Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB2 external harddrive to upgrade my Moxi. (Motorola BMC9012?-I think thats the number-it's an old one)

Gotta say the FreeAgent Harddrives are very easy to use, quiet, cool, and now I can record all those NFL games in Hi-Def and watch them at my leisure. What could be better. Before with the Moxi's 11 hours of recording time for HD content, whenever I wanted to see/record 2 or 3 games in HD, my moxi would start erasing saved stuff. Was in the doghouse with my wife every football weekend. Don't even know how many hours I can record now as I haven't come close to running out of room, but would guess its around 50-60 hours just in HD and a huge number of hours in SD. (Is the harddrive in the Moxi 80GB?) Well anyway it was painless and I still love my old Moxi. The Moxi uses both harddrives and so far it has been seamless (don't know if it switches back and forth between them or not). Yes SD can look like craps sometimes, but I mostly watch HD content and it looks great on my 37" LCD HDTV connected to the HDMI port on the TV. With the software/firmware? upgrade recently, the menus and everything respond so much faster. Hope I dont have to get the new 6400 series any time soon.

I got instructions on how to use the regular FreeAgent (non-pro) drive from this post at the moxi forums but will explain it as how I did it:

http://forums.moxi.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=282

This drive can be found all over the place from $119.99 to 159.99(look for the sale-Don't forget about price matching at OfficeDepot -OfficeMax -CircuitCity -BestBuy)

If I had purchased the FreeAgent Pro it would have been a little more expensive but the setup would have been simpler as it already comes with the software utilities to turn of the harddrives sleep feature. The sleep feature MUST be disabled on this drive as the Moxi does not know how to wake the drive and it will miss scheduled recordings!!

If you can follow instructions, the Non-pro model of Seagate FreeAgent will work just great.

1)Connect the drive to an available USB2 port on your computer. I am running WindowsXP Pro and it found the drive immediately. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT THE DRIVE! The Moxi will handle this for you as soon as the drive is connected to the Moxi.

2)Download unzip and install this file if you buy the regular FreeAgent(non-pro):

desktop-recovery-efigs.zip

which can be found here:
www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/desktop-recovery-efigs.zip

or by copying and pasting this link into your browser which immediately starts the download:
www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/desktop-recovery-efigs.zip

Make sure you know where the file is saved(desktop is a good place thats easy to find).
UNZIP the file and run the:

Setup-desktop-recovery 1.0.32 EFIGS.exe

by double-clicking on the above .exe file and installing it. The default locations for the install are fine.

or

2)If you purchased the Pro version it is my understanding that the utilities on already on the harddrive ready to be installed. Automatic maybe? If not should be painless to install.

3) Run the FreeAgent Tools in the Seagate Folder that is now in your Start menu. Go to Utilities selection (one of the selections down the left side of the menu) and turn off the sleep timer.

4) Now safely disconnect the drive from your computer and connect the drive to your Moxi using one of the rear USB ports on the Moxi, and it will handle the formatting. Just takes a few minutes and Voila.

I don't know if we have a post here for which external drives work with the Moxi and if we do this post can be moved or whatever. I would imagine any of the Seagate FreeAgent drives would work great. Hope this information is helpful to someone.

Tgard
post #144 of 521 Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgard View Post

CharterJames,
I am using Charter here in Hickory and wanted to thank you for all your help and info on here. It is much appreciated.

Just purchased the Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB2 external harddrive to upgrade my Moxi. (Motorola BMC9012?-I think thats the number-it's an old one)

I don't know if we have a post here for which external drives work with the Moxi and if we do this post can be moved or whatever. I would imagine any of the Seagate FreeAgent drives would work great. Hope this information is helpful to someone.

Tgard

Thanks for the Kudos and I'm definitely glad to hear you're getting the most out of you're moxi!

There's AVS thread on the BMC90xx series at http://www.avsforum.com/avs- vb/showthread.php?t=412846 - I'm frequently posting Moxi developments and helping out with issues there. (also under the HD DVRs I've started a Moto 64xx/34xx DVR thread)

You should have the new firmware (4.1.9x I believe) that has restored audio levels. Analog are still a little lower than a normal box, but digital and HD volume levels are actually louder than any other box now.

Excellent Information and a very good walk through! - feel free to crosspost that over to the moxi thread, I know they'll enjoy it!

Freeagents have been pretty well recommended so long as you turn off their sleep function. I recommend either doing a custom drive using an external case and an IDE hard drive (My external is an old IDE 133 Samsung 240 in a Metal Gear USB 2.0 case from www.newegg.com - Newegg doesn't seem to carry IDE Sammies anymore...) or looking for a USB drive with as few advanced features (one button backup, sleep modes etc) as possible as those seem to interfear the most with the moxi.

The good news is I've seen NO limit (the moxi thread even mentioned USB external RAID arrays doing 1TB +) on Expansion.

That's one area Moxi has blown away the 6416 on - while it only has a 80 gig hard drive (you are correct on that) versus the Moto's 160 - it can expand. For now Moto has hinted that USB expansion won't happen and eSATA seems to be delayed to do Digital Media Rights.

post #145 of 521 Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's the unbroken link to the Moxi discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=412846
post #146 of 521 Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:

CharterJames,

Gotta say the FreeAgent Harddrives are very easy to use, quiet, cool, and now.....

Agreed. I also tried a WD MyBook 750GB and decided to take it back due to the lack of "no-sleep" mode. I got a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB. I've very happy with this one.

Quote:

2)If you purchased the Pro version it is my understanding that the utilities on already on the harddrive ready to be installed. Automatic maybe? If not should be painless to install.

Not automatic but installer is auto-run when plugged in. They just have the installer sitting on the drive. However, if you connect it to Moxi first. It will format and delete the software. Please connect to your windows machine FIRST, then install the software, turn off the sleep mode then connect it to your moxi box and let it format it (Format takes a few minutes).

As for the # of hours. I simply used this ratio formula to figure it out:

80/11 * 580/x = 79.74 hours of HD (500 eHDD + Moxi 80)
post #147 of 521 Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 PM

James,
Is something down? I'm having issues with some of the HD channels (nbc, abc, fox, hbo, sho) and some are working (ESPN2, Universal, TNT). My wife is saying that the internet seems a little weird. Everything was good about 2 hours ago.
post #148 of 521 Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

I was out sick Friday - from what I'm seeing about 10am alot of calls were coming in on it and our headend was alerted - so far everything seems to be running normally now - I will keep an eye on the HDs today.

Also we are ending this month with a Free Preview of the Showtime networks - I believe it will kick in towards the end of this week and run into next week.

Major programming scheduled includes the Season 2 opening for Dexter (which I'm rather fond of) as well as the series "Brotherhood"

post #149 of 521 Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G HARRIS View Post

I live in Hickory(Charter) and have 2 Moxi boxes. Same distances from incoming cable line. One works great, the other you can't watch HD after 9pm. Lots of pixelation. any suggestions???

Could be signal - The Moxi tends also to pixelate and have a lower quality image on LCDs and Plasmas - I definitely recommend a 6416 for picture quality (though I prefer the Moxi menu / interface over the I-guide)

I definitely recommend coming into a local office and scheduling a service call - try out a 6416 over the moxi (you'll also gain double the DVR space - unless your using the USB hard drive expansion)

You might also clean it up by removing any extra splitters and keeping the lowest amount of signal loss on the moxi - this can help moxi boxes alot!

post #150 of 521 Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Ya'll asked for it -

Upcoming news on New HDs

We are adding at least 2 new HDs before the End of October -

Fox Business and a combination Golf/Versus

As I also understand it we'll be migrating at least to of the expanded basic channels over to digital (they'll be part of the "Total View" which was formerly known as Family and Information Tier)

Check your mail - we should bee sending out new lineups which include the Music Choice changes recently made as well as the new channels coming by the end of October.

*****ALSO*******
Starting Tomorrow through Monday there should be a SHOWTIME free preview - this will include the Showtime on Demand Service for those of you using a Charter Box. Featured programming is availible at www.sho.com (I'm looking forward to the Showtime Free Preview myself)

Last but not least I'll be on vacation next week, so I'll probably get behind on posting for a bit. I wish I could say it's a nice R&R vacation but it's more of a "Taking care of life's little challenges" type vacation.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page