Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 523 Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CharterJames,

Hearing any news on your end about The Weather Channel being added soon?

(Source: http://www.tvpredictions.com/chartweather110507.htm )

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 523 Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

CharterJames,

I get it, nothing yet to get excited about, not much HD yet. Lip sync off at times too. BUT, it will be GREAT when they get there.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #183 of 523 Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Shame on you James for posting a cable telco ad here in the local HD Thread!

Besides, We'll really be your friend when we need 911 in the storm and the cable is out.

I've already got a following here though besides I don't do enough with Telco to really support it - I used to do cable modem support and came into the cable industry from IT operations previously. Now I'm split between IT and Digital ops (and with Moxi's built in modem, I'm still doing a little modem support)

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

I no longer work in Tech Ops as such I can only advise & suggest.
post #184 of 523 Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

CharterJames,

No official word yet, but I imagine we'll probably be pulling them in either End of November or Sometime Q1 2008.

BTW - G4 (formerly Tech TV) has moved to Digital - it's on chnl 81 now - it's in the clear so anyone with a QAM tuner can pick it up.

Views & opinions stated here are strictly those of Me and not Charter Communications.

post #185 of 523 Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM

I hear that Charter has picked up Weather Channel HD and is supposed to push it to all locations quickly. Any word on this? Also wasn't Fox News HD supposed to come as well?
And i noticed that you finally removed the NBC channel , final nail in the coffin i guess.
post #186 of 523 Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

I was pretty certain fox business news was supposed to be in SD & HD, I'm still waiting on "official" lineups - saw the link for Weather HD, I'm thinking we'll have it in Early Q1 2008 if not before the end of the year..

I'm kinda hoping the removed NBC is actually a sign of progress - I understand Boone and surrounding areas are in 2 DMAs, and Wilkes is in the Winston-Greensborro DMA, so we might be looking for other NBCs (non-bello) or pointing that out in order to speed up negotiations...

post #187 of 523 Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames View Post

I was pretty certain fox business news was supposed to be in SD & HD, I'm still waiting on "official" lineups - saw the link for Weather HD, I'm thinking we'll have it in Early Q1 2008 if not before the end of the year..

I'm kinda hoping the removed NBC is actually a sign of progress - I understand Boone and surrounding areas are in 2 DMAs, and Wilkes is in the Winston-Greensborro DMA, so we might be looking for other NBCs (non-bello) or pointing that out in order to speed up negotiations...

I sure hope there is some sort of resolution to this NBC deal. It is really pissing me off...
post #188 of 523 Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM

I seem to have lost CBS & ABC HD via QAM in Hickory. NBC is ok. Is it me?
post #189 of 523 Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Disregard above post as the channels have returned in HD.
post #190 of 523 Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyom View Post

Disregard above post as the channels have returned in HD.

good deal, lemme know if they keep going out - I didn't get a rush of notices on it, so I want to make sure if you've got a localized signal issue we get someone on it if it comes back!

post #191 of 523 Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM

Does anyone else have a color shifting issue on CBS HD lately? This happens on all the TV's in my house. Basically if your watching it the colors will "slide" from muted to sharp, then click back again repeating. Noticed on a TV show the other night and the football game was bad this weekend.

Make sure it's not a signal issue before I make a service call.
post #192 of 523 Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored View Post

Does anyone else have a color shifting issue on CBS HD lately? This happens on all the TV's in my house. Basically if your watching it the colors will "slide" from muted to sharp, then click back again repeating. Noticed on a TV show the other night and the football game was bad this weekend.

Make sure it's not a signal issue before I make a service call.

I've not seen it or had anyone report wide spread instances of that - sound like a localized issue - Usually I only see shifts like this form direct signal interfearance

Do you have any unterminated Spliters?

post #193 of 523 Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:

I've not seen it or had anyone report wide spread instances of that - sound like a localized issue - Usually I only see shifts like this form direct signal interfearance

Do you have any unterminated Spliters?

I have seen this. My brother reported it to me in the Valdese location several weeks ago, and i assumed the same thing. Then he called me during a football game as that's the only time he can see it. In Hickory on an HD CBS football game. So i tuned in. Both my MOXI and MOTO boxes on 2 different TVs (rear-proj hd and plasma 4th gen hd) displayed the same thing. Watch the grass during a football game and the grass will go from dark green to bright green, constantly, from the same camera, w/o any camera shifting. That's the easiest way to see this color shift.

I assumed it was due to how CBS was compressing the signal down, as it's a live event and subject to on-the-fly compression that might not be as good as a pre-recorded pre-compressed tv show.
post #194 of 523 Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiix2 View Post

I have seen this. My brother reported it to me in the Valdese location several weeks ago, and i assumed the same thing. Then he called me during a football game as that's the only time he can see it. In Hickory on an HD CBS football game. So i tuned in. Both my MOXI and MOTO boxes on 2 different TVs (rear-proj hd and plasma 4th gen hd) displayed the same thing. Watch the grass during a football game and the grass will go from dark green to bright green, constantly, from the same camera, w/o any camera shifting. That's the easiest way to see this color shift.

I assumed it was due to how CBS was compressing the signal down, as it's a live event and subject to on-the-fly compression that might not be as good as a pre-recorded pre-compressed tv show.

Yeah, that sounds more like a Feed / Source Encoding issue - I know I've seen some comments about issues like that from the Charlotte TWC and Charlotte OTA threads (Which I keep an eye on for occasions like this when the local channels are acting up)

post #195 of 523 Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Good Morning,

Just wanted to get a post on here - we *HAVE* been experiencing VOD issues, I've been working with several people to get them resolved - as it stands I believe it's been fixed.

The general outage issues were causing pixelation and audio issues (made VOD look like it was a very messed up DVD playing) - then there was an issue that was ending video streams after 10 minutes -

We have resolved both of these issues at this time - I've been watching VOD all morning (it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it!) and so far we seem to be in the clear.

If you have any other issues try power cycling the box first and give it time to reload - if that doesn't do it, you'll probably need a service call.

post #196 of 523 Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Hi CharterJames,

Have you heard anything on Charter currently offering 100 HD Channels - Linear and VOD? There's an article at Multichannel.com where the CEO mentions this. Source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/...92819#talkback . If my math is correct, I only receive 45 here in AVL-Buncombe (22 HD channels and 23 HD VOD Offerings). To rub salt in the wound further, the New Orleans-HDTV board posts are boasting of HD channels being added at a regular clip (now up to 36, I believe?). Needless to say, this got my blood boiling for a few moments, but I'm now calm once again. Thanks!

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #197 of 523 Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 AM

CharterJames,

What would explain a loss of all premium and HD channels. Currently have cable cards in a Tivo Series 3. Channels were coming in for a month, then this past weekend all channels gone except analog. Called get-charter, they hit the cards, all is working now. Will this be an ongoing thing? Also, STARZ-HD and GOLFVS have been blank (no picture) forever. Hate to call and complain, since the cable cards were a nightmare to get working initially.

Info:
Charter Communication - Hartselle, AL
Subscription - Biggest Package
Tivo Series 3 w/ two single stream Cable Cards

Thanks!
post #198 of 523 Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM

I've searched all over before I asked this but couldn't find the info.

I have two DCH6416 DVR's and I love them, huge upgrade from the Moxi for me. No problems for six months but yesterday both boxes went haywire.

The one box in the living room is now locked on 480P and no change of cables, unplugging, etc will get it off. Changed TV's to make sure it wasn't that and no change. How do I reinitialize the box to see if that helps?

My other box works fine except when I turn the box off the rec light comes on when nothing is taping. This is in the bedroom so we noticed right away when that red light was on last night.

Any help is appreciated and I'm glad that someone else saw that CBS thing and it's not just me going crazy!
post #199 of 523 Old 12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.greghouse View Post

CharterJames,

What would explain a loss of all premium and HD channels. Currently have cable cards in a Tivo Series 3. Channels were coming in for a month, then this past weekend all channels gone except analog. Called get-charter, they hit the cards, all is working now. Will this be an ongoing thing? Also, STARZ-HD and GOLFVS have been blank (no picture) forever. Hate to call and complain, since the cable cards were a nightmare to get working initially.

Info:
Charter Communication - Hartselle, AL
Subscription - Biggest Package
Tivo Series 3 w/ two single stream Cable Cards

Thanks!

Cable cards often lose their authos if something goes on in billing - frequently I've seen this from either an odd hiccup (rare) or a human error (more frequently) - one S3 I had this issue with, I swapped out the cards and they were never properly put on the account.

No picture on channels is either going to be Signal, Autho or Validation -

Autho issue would occur for all channels in a package - if your seeing this on Starz Hd but not normal Starz, that would rule out an Autho issue, likewise Golf VS being out but Discovery or HD nets working fine. (HD Tier)

on the other hand if you get a screen with cable card information - then you're cards are authorized but not validated - In Theory you are supposed to call us and they should put the host ID and Data ID numbers in billing and all works well - in practice I recommend going to the local office and treating it like a system error - let them know you need someone who knows how to get cards validated. - if you are getting this error let me know, I think I have a contact for one of the alabama headends that might be able to get the cards validated

Last but not least - if your not getting autho or validation issues, I'd lean towards signal issues - if a tech tries to blame the TIVO request he put in a 6416 or even a 6200 (HD box) so you can compare picture quality - if the issue occurs on our box you know it's not your TIVO... if it doesn't - request signal levels for those channels so you can check with TIVO and make sure it should work in those ranges (I've yet to not have it duplicated on our box for a signal issue)

post #200 of 523 Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:

... - let them know you need someone who knows how to get cards validated. - if you are getting this error let me know, I think I have a contact for one of the alabama headends that might be able to get the cards validated

Wow! Thanks for your time and all of the info! I'm thinking it is a validation issue too because when i tune to the STARZ-HD and GOLFVS, i get a picture for a few seconds, then the cable card screen appears. STARZ standard definition comes in fine. Also, all other HD channels come in fine (ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, HDTheater, etc...).

Thanks Again.
post #201 of 523 Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored View Post

I've searched all over before I asked this but couldn't find the info.

I have two DCH6416 DVR's and I love them, huge upgrade from the Moxi for me. No problems for six months but yesterday both boxes went haywire.

The one box in the living room is now locked on 480P and no change of cables, unplugging, etc will get it off. Changed TV's to make sure it wasn't that and no change. How do I reinitialize the box to see if that helps?

My other box works fine except when I turn the box off the rec light comes on when nothing is taping. This is in the bedroom so we noticed right away when that red light was on last night.

Any help is appreciated and I'm glad that someone else saw that CBS thing and it's not just me going crazy!

Email me (firstname.lastname@chartercom.com) or pm me with the phone number your account is under and I can go in and initialize the boxes from here for you - you will need to reset any custom settings (Parental Controls, Pins Etc)

post #202 of 523 Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.greghouse View Post

Wow! Thanks for your time and all of the info! I'm thinking it is a validation issue too because when i tune to the STARZ-HD and GOLFVS, i get a picture for a few seconds, then the cable card screen appears. STARZ standard definition comes in fine. Also, all other HD channels come in fine (ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, HDTheater, etc...).

Thanks Again.

That's exactly what it is - I had that issue here

If your familar with your Cable Card diagnostic screen you'll have to go into it for each card and get the Unit Address, Host ID, CAble Card ID and Data ID - if you like you can email me that information and I should be able to find a technician in AL who can set that up

What happens in our systems is that we are usually set up so that the programming provider can set the level of CCI encription (Copy Freely, Copy Once, Copy Never) - we can over-ride them, but we prefer to keep them the way they are sent to us so we don't get in any trouble with the provider. HDs are usually affected - we also use Lifetime Movie Network in this market as a "test" channel for validation issues. - since your cards aren't validated any channel requireing any CCI validation will flash on (because it's authorized) but then be blacked out - most equipment will show the diagnostics screen automatically but I think Tivo does that only on the first time.

post #203 of 523 Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As of last week, on Charter systems in Hickory and surrounding areas, WBTV-DT1 (HD) has been moved to a new stream and frequency, which has cleared up many of the compression issues involving "shifts" in color. WBTV's signal now uses up more bandwidth though, so keep in mind recordings off WBTV-DT now take up more HDD space than before on Moxis or DC? 64?? boxes. However, there is a much better, higher quality picture than previously.
post #204 of 523 Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post

As of last week, on Charter systems in Hickory and surrounding areas, WBTV-DT1 (HD) has been moved to a new stream and frequency, which has cleared up many of the compression issues involving "shifts" in color. WBTV's signal now uses up more bandwidth though, so keep in mind recordings off WBTV-DT now take up more HDD space than before on Moxis or DC? 64?? boxes. However, there is a much better, higher quality picture than previously.

I'm curious to see if that changes my 6416 recording observations, I'll see what I can come up with - generally a 6416 used 2% for an hour of Analog, 1% for SD Digital and 4% for an hour of HD

Fortunately for Moxi users they can expand with a USB external - no such luck on 6416s for now

post #205 of 523 Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

also, I have .pdf channel lineups (updated) now for our markets - so if anyone wants one email me at firstname.lastname@chartercom.com

post #206 of 523 Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Anyone else having issues with HD - On Demand movies? Mine seem to kick of as soon as i try to order one, and the previews are in SD not HD, thought that was also kinda odd. Videos and stuff work fine, just not movies.
post #207 of 523 Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM

james any idea of what channel #772 is...still TBD....happy holidays folks.
post #208 of 523 Old 12-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Anyone else having issues with HD - On Demand movies? Mine seem to kick of as soon as i try to order one, and the previews are in SD not HD, thought that was also kinda odd. Videos and stuff work fine, just not movies.

Ahh. It's working now. So never mind.
post #209 of 523 Old 12-26-2007, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Fox Sports South in HD

but it should not be TBA - there should be guide data - Are you on a Moxi or I-guide based box - lemme know which and if it's still happening - I'll get it updated!

post #210 of 523 Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ahh. It's working now. So never mind.

Good deal - we had some issues around Thanksgiving with some networking changes (we upgraded a gig-e switch in the video server system and it started throwing off things majorly) but that should have been fixed early Dec.

With luck things should be pretty smooth now - we should be getting in some more content on the HD on Demand - and there should be plenty of Free Hd on Demand content from MHD and others!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page