Watertown, NY - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2005, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
beginning a thread for DMA 175 Watertown, NY hope this is how to post to it:
I am in Ogdensburg, NY, 2 miles north of bridge to Canada. I am OTA and E* HD user. Anyone else out there in Watertown DMA with HD equipment? I can not report what Time Warner cable has in way of HD in area.
Here is my equipment.

28" Sanyo widescreen HDTV HT28745 with built in ATSC tuner(tv is in small room)
Echostar HD 811 satellite receiver
VU190XR Radio Shack 58 element antenna mounted about 20 feet in air, with rotor and a
model 7777 channel master pre amp on antenna

After installing all equipment above here are results;

WWTI ch21-1 (50) ABC Watertown 56 miles to xmitter
WWNY ch35-1 (07) CBS Watertown 51 miles to xmitter
WNYF-LP ch35-2 (28) Fox(SD) Watertown
WNPI ch23-1 (18) PBS Norwood 34 miles to xmitter

my signal strength on WNPI is very strong in mid to high 80's on 0-100 scale. never drops out. PBS is broadcasting their analog signal in SD. I emailed station engineer and got nice reply back, they will not be adding HD content until probably Sept. 2005.

signal strength on ABC and CBS, was only in mid 60's with much tiling and freezing until I installed pre-amp, then signal went to high 70's, to high 80's.
I emailed WWNY and heard back from them, they say per FCC allowances they are not at full power to save energy and do not plan to be until reverting back to ch. 7 for their HD in 2009.
WWNY is broadcasting WNYF- low power Fox on subchannel 35-2 in SD.

no NBC HD OTA can't pull in Syracuse or Plattsburg

no HD out of Canada yet, but I pull in about 10 analog stations strong from Ottawa, including CBC, CTV, Global, Omni, CH, and City tv. Hopefully there wil some HD content from Canada before too long.
So for anyone in the North Country, this may help you determine what you can get. My feeling is without a pre-amp and large antenna you won't get much. Anyone else out there? in North Country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Added to Thread Index
Old 09-17-2005, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Since my first post have new additions. In late August WPBS Watertown went on air. Also discovered by turning my antenna to East I could get WCFE digital38 from Lyon Mountain (PLATTSBURG PBS). NO digital out of Canada but rumor is CBC OTTAWA coming this fall/winter.

WWTI ch21-1 (50) ABC Watertown 56 miles to xmitter
WWNY ch35-1 (07) CBS Watertown 51 miles to xmitter
WNYF-LP ch35-2 (28) Fox(SD) Watertown
WNPI ch23-1 (18) PBS Norwood 34 miles to xmitter

new
WPBS ch41-1 (16) PBS Watertown 51 miles to xmitter analog feed
additional
WCFE ch38-1 (57) PBS Plattsburg carrys PBS HD , 80 miles to xmitter.
ch38-2 (57) analog feed
Old 09-30-2005, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't been able to get channel 7 for a week or so. I just emailed the station to see what's up. I think it quit about when we were getting some t-storms.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:59 PM

Got a quick response from the station. They had a piece of equipment fail and will be back next week.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Got a quick response from the station. They had a piece of equipment fail and will be back next week.

tawilson, glad to see there is someone in the North Country besides me with HD. I wondered what happened to 7, it went out last Saturday. I was going to email them but hadn't yet. Have you heard anything if we will ever have Fox in HD up here. I am sure there is not enough band width to xmit both FOX and CBS in HD on channel 35. I am hoping when Dish network gets their NYC feed up in HD I will qualify for NBC and FOX.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:06 PM

Didn't ask and don't know about Fox. I get it and NBC thru DTV. I'm wondering when WPBS will start doing HD. And no, you are not alone. It might just be the two of us though.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Didn't ask and don't know about Fox. I get it and NBC thru DTV. I'm wondering when WPBS will start doing HD. And no, you are not alone. It might just be the two of us though.

the engineer at WPBS emailed me a while back and said they hoped they would have some HD programming up on WNPI by Sept., but I have seen nothing yet. I discoverd a few weeks back that if I turned my antenna NE I could pull in WCFE PBS Plattsburg. Their transmitter is at Lyon Mt. near Danemorra. I pull in a strong signal from there even though I am 80 miles away. They carry PBSHD on 1 channel and their analog feed on the other.
On the Canadian digital board the rumor is CBOT Ottawa will have some digital up this winter or by next spring.
I will be leaving for my winter home in Winter Haven next week. Central Florida is great for HD, I pull in about 50 HD and digital channels from Winter Haven half way between Tampa and Orlando.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

WWNY 35-1,35-2, came back on air Wed. OCT 5, after being off for 10 days.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:27 AM

Liked: 14
Where do you guys get your NBC from? Is there no NBC in Watertown?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:07 AM

Nope, no NBC in Watertown. I'm in the country so get it though DTV. In Watertown the cable carries the Syracuse station. The Syracuse transmitters are on the hills south of the city, so I have a hard time picking up a decent signal where I am, 15 miles north of Watertown, even though I have a couple rooptop antennas with rotors.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:

So that's what happen. Both channels were off the air for about one and a half weeks, and I didn't know why.

I live in Kingston, Ontario (near Watertown) and I have a couple of long-range antennas and I have been able to get the Watertown and Syracuse channels. I briefly got ABC WHAM 13 from Rochester but no longer. I don't know why D54 - UPN 6 WSTQ was changed to NBC WSTM.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Hi Morpheus,
I also get Syracuse, Buffalo and Rochester stations when the atmospheric conditions are right, but only then. You must have a good setup to get the Syracuse stations. I've got a rooftop antenna with rotor, but still can't. Maybe an upgrade is in order. Are you using any amplifiers or boosters?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:

....You must have a good setup to get the Syracuse stations. .... Are you using any amplifiers or boosters?

I have a 53 foot tower with the Channel Master 9521A rotator (system) mounted on top with 2 long-range antennas. The top antenna is the 91XG (93" long, 91 elements) from Antennas Direct:

http://www.antennasdirect.com/91XG_HDTV_antenna.html

and the bottom one is the Radio Shack VU-210XR (190", 58 elements, VHF/UHF/FM). Each antenna has a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp (set to combine) and I have each of the cable mains go into a Channel Master indoor distribution amplifier model 3045 (1-in, 8-out). I have half the lines going to my computer desk and the other half going to the tv. I just got the MDP-130 about 3 months ago and have that hooked up to my 17" widescreen LCD (secondary) monitor (1280x768). I use this to watch tv ota.

I've been playing around with it trying to map out what channels I get and compile a list. A couple of days ago, I was rotating the antenna and accidently took it up to 360 degrees where it became stuck. I called my antenna installer to unstick the rotator (won't be for another 4 days). He recommended that since I have a alot of weight on the rotator (2 antennas), I should avoid going close to the 000 and 360 degree marks.

With the antennas stuck pointing north, I can't get alot of stations right now. Last night I went to watch Alias and Nightstalker (off cable) and ABC was off the air - so I missed them.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:11 PM

I just bought a Sanyo 27745 HDTV with tuner. Right now, no antenna or HD set top box, so all the digital extras are wasted on me.

Morpheus (and others): have you tried any smaller-scale antennas? Any chance of getting Watertown OTA HDTV without a tower?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 02:38 PM

You shouldn't have any problem with a rooftop antenna. I bet you're less than 40 miles from the towers, with little or no hills and lots of water in between. Less for the WPBS tower, which is in Watertown, and hopefully will be doing HD shortly.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 AM

Must be WWNY lost their digital transmission during the windstorm this weekend. I'm still receiving WWTI-DT so I don't think it's on my end, even though my antennas did take a beating.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM

Hey Guys. Just wanted to say Hi! I'm located in Lowville. Have a DirecTV AT-9 dish with H20 receiver. D* won't give me my networks in HD and was wondering if anyone out there knows what kind of reception I could expect here outside of Lowville? We are up on a hill and have a great view of the Black River Valley and Tug Hill, looking NW towards Watertown.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 PM

You should get the Watertown stations ok. The transmitters for WWNY and WWTI are in Champion, not too far from you.
I get FOX and NBC thru DTV, wonder why you can't.
If you have a rooftop antenna and a rotor, you could try Syracuse, but Tug Hill might be in your way. Most of the transmitters are on the hills south of the city, too far for me.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. We've been on D* since 1997. Have no hope of ever getting cable up here. I've been reading lots of these forums since going to HD, however it's really confusing as to which antenna to try. D* gave us the networks before, and I still have them in 480i on D*. We were shocked when we switched to the H20 and D* said no to the networks in HD. Actually I've been fighting with them for weeks, but it looks like I'm going to lose. They did give us FOX and TNT, but denied the others. Any advie on antennas would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Still doing my research and haven't bought an antenna yet. Am I correct in assuming that I need a UHF/VHF antenna as Watertown broadcasts NBC on 50 (UHF) and CBS on 07 (VHF) or is it ch 21-1 and 35-1 both UHF? Also, should I get an amplifier or just try it without at first? I've read that with the digital feeds you either get it or you don't. Also, can anyone recommend a good antenna? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Currently you only need a UHF antenna to pick up the digital channels. Channel 7 (CBS) is actually broadcasting digitally on channel 35, WWTI ch. 50 is broadcasting digitally on channel 21.1. I just got my HDTV his week and was pleasently surprised at the stations I was able to pull in. Once you have enough signal to lock, the picture is perfect. Not enough signal- no picture. I added a preamp to my old weather-beaten antenna on the roof and pulled in 9 digital channels! I pointed my antenna at 78 degrees (halfway between channel 7 and channel 50 towers), and voila!. My old rotator was shot, so I took it off and added the preamp. The only station I would like to try to get is NBC HD out of Syracuse. According to antennaweb, the NBC station is 69 miles away. I'll need to get a new rotator and possibly a bigger antenna for that...
Old 03-31-2006, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the response.
I've got it all up and running now.
D* gave me NBC HD and I get CBS & ABC from Watertown. I put up a small outdoor UHF antenna and it works like a champ.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:50 PM

You should be able to get WPBS from Watertown, also. They aren't doing HD yet but are broadcasting digitally.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:43 AM

Has CBS (35) been out this weekend? I was able to get it, but it's not coming in now. Sig strength is 0.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 PM

Yep, it's down.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 PM

How long does it usually stay down? Its been a few days now.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:40 PM

Back up today and looks great!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Looks like we're gonna lose our NBC and FOX feeds (DNS). Did any of you get the letter?
Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Whachyou talkin about, Willis?