post #151 of 164 Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroG View Post

Just bringing this thread to the top. It's quite old. Anyone have any new info on the status of HD in the Lehigh Valley area? Any progress on Fios expansion in the Valley?

From what I understand, Verizon will not be building out in new areas. They mentioned this a couple of years ago. They were going to complete the areas they started, but were not seeking to expand much further. There isn't enough to be made.

In a nutshell, if you aren't wired for Fios by now, you won't be.

Cheers!
-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post

Curious about the bill as I was planning on switching to RCN from DirecTV as I use RCN for internet and would be much cheaper to use RCN for both.

That's funny. I am looking on doing just what you have. Keep RCN for just Internet, and then get a satellite for tv. All I know is I'm getting screwed as I have no other choice but RCN for high speed internet. There is no competition in my area.
post #153 of 164 Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

That's funny. I am looking on doing just what you have. Keep RCN for just Internet, and then get a satellite for tv. All I know is I'm getting screwed as I have no other choice but RCN for high speed internet. There is no competition in my area.
I went from RCN being my only option in Bethlehem to SECTV being my only broadband option in Center Valley. That being said, RCN's fees and data rates were far better than that of SECTV. It drives me insane that in the day of today we don't have options.

Mark
XBox 360 Gamertag: Y2KFirehawk
post #154 of 164 Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I really do like DirecTV and now will probably stick with them as I just bought their "nomad" device which lets you transfer recordings to your phone/iPad which I want when I go to the gym. RCN for both TV and internet would save money though.
post #155 of 164 Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Well, now RCN is encrypting all the basic channels. You will now be required to rent a stb for every tv in your home to get any channels from RCN. This was a change in the FCC rules back in Dec of last year. The FCC has been horrible when it comes to protecting the consumer.
post #156 of 164 Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, now RCN is encrypting all the basic channels. You will now be required to rent a stb for every tv in your home to get any channels from RCN. This was a change in the FCC rules back in Dec of last year. The FCC has been horrible when it comes to protecting the consumer.

Define "basic". Do you mean broadcast channels? Or non-premium cable channels (CNN, A&E, AMC, ESPN, etc)?

Cablevision in NYC has been encrypting everything for years, and got a waiver to do so. (It's more cost efficient to encrypt everything than it is to terminate drops in apartment buildings - also cuts down on truck rolls, thereby saving the environment...)
Cablevision in other areas provides the broadcast channels in clear QAM. A STB is required for everything else.

As more and more people use cable for their Internet connection, you will see most channels encrypted. This will remove the need of the cable company to install filters on drops to homes of those who only subscribe to for internet. Encryption means no low or high pass filters are required.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #157 of 164 Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Define "basic". Do you mean broadcast channels? Or non-premium cable channels (CNN, A&E, AMC, ESPN, etc)?

Broadcast channels. What the FCC had originally mandated that must be passed in the clear to the customer, is now going to be encrypted.
I have two hdtv sets that are in rooms where they are very rarely used. So I only cared if they got the broadcast channels. I can't put an antenna up in my development as it's against deed restrictions. So I connected them directly to the cable and watched what the qam tuner could find in the clear. Well not any more.
post #158 of 164 Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Broadcast channels. What the FCC had originally mandated that must be passed in the clear to the customer, is now going to be encrypted.
I have two hdtv sets that are in rooms where they are very rarely used. So I only cared if they got the broadcast channels. I can't put an antenna up in my development as it's against deed restrictions. So I connected them directly to the cable and watched what the qam tuner could find in the clear. Well not any more.

What about an attic mount antenna? Do you have LOS to broadcast towers?

Read an article that about 5% of homes on wired routes *steal* unencrypted cable signals.... So they made their argument and won...

Cheers!
-Doug
post #159 of 164 Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, as of yesterday RCN has no more clear QAM channels (except for a handful of On Demand channels, which I'm sure is an oversight). Back to the antenna for me.

I only subscribe to 25meg internet so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. I mostly watch Netfix, Amazon, and blu-ray anyway and only need the network stations for sports, news, and a few PBS shows.
post #160 of 164 Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Since you are already paying for internet. they offer the same rate and it includes the 38 broadcast stations. It comes with one SD converter for a year in that price. Just saying.
post #161 of 164 Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Since you are already paying for internet. they offer the same rate and it includes the 38 broadcast stations. It comes with one SD converter for a year in that price. Just saying.
I only watch HD and get all of the Scranton and Lehigh Valley channels with an antenna. I used to have RCN's land line phone, internet, and TV bundle with a 320GB HD DVR and 2 non-DVR HD converter boxes and it cost me nearly $200 a month. I tried dropping the phone and DVR and it wouldn't have saved me any money vs. the bundle. Most of my viewing is via Netflix and Amazon Prime so I dropped everything but internet and now pay RCN $44.99/month. Because of my location on the north side of South Mountain I can't get any Philly OTA, but the only thing I'll really miss is the occasional Phillies game on PHL17HD.

Cable/satellite prices have gotten so out of hand. I pay less per year for Netflix/Amazon then I did per month for cable, and I never have to FF through commercials. smile.gif
post #162 of 164 Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post

I only watch HD and get all of the Scranton and Lehigh Valley channels with an antenna. I used to have RCN's land line phone, internet, and TV bundle with a 320GB HD DVR and 2 non-DVR HD converter boxes and it cost me nearly $200 a month. I tried dropping the phone and DVR and it wouldn't have saved me any money vs. the bundle. Most of my viewing is via Netflix and Amazon Prime so I dropped everything but internet and now pay RCN $44.99/month. Because of my location on the north side of South Mountain I can't get any Philly OTA, but the only thing I'll really miss is the occasional Phillies game on PHL17HD.

Cable/satellite prices have gotten so out of hand. I pay less per year for Netflix/Amazon then I did per month for cable, and I never have to FF through commercials. smile.gif

I hear you. The only problem I have with using antennas with today's tv's is that you need to scan for channels. So with a directional antenna, you will only get the channels found for based on the direction of the antenna. And most tv's that I've seen, do not allow you to manually add channels to the list for viewing after the scanning has been done.

I haven't looked for a omni directional antenna. But I would assume that their range is less than a good directional.
post #163 of 164 Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
And most tv's that I've seen, do not allow you to manually add channels to the list for viewing after the scanning has been done.

So do, some don't. TV set manufacturers control this option. Unfortunately, you have to get into the setup menus to see what any given model will allow one to do. Four example, out of my four digital sets, three allow add-on scans or manual additions, one does not. Since I'm in a uni-directional location, it doesn't matter in my household.

Quote:
omni directional antenna. But I would assume that their range is less than a good directional.

My motto is "Omni antennas receive equally poorly in all directions." Perhaps an overstatement, but there is no way to focus on desirable signals while rejecting undesirable signals (usually reflections that cause multipath interference). They work okay for some folks in simple, short-range situations but often fail when the signal environment gets tougher.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #164 of 164 Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM

2 of my 3 HDTVs allow you to manually tune/add channels. I'm reliably getting WNEP, WYOU, WBRE, WLVT, WVIA, WOLF, and WFMZ. I don't bother with any of the sub channels because they all look terrible on my plasma. All of these HD channels look better OTA than they did via RCN. I'm a little disappointed VIA doesn't turn off their sub channels during prime time like they used to in the early days of HD and give their main channel all of the bandwidth they could.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page