wtf is broadstripe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 270 Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MDM has changed their name to Broadstripe. I was hoping this was a new cable company or something, but nope... just re-branded. (Though supposedly there is some new management.)
post #243 of 270 Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Does anyone on this thread have experience with getting Millennium Digital (now Broadstripe) to install CableCards in the new TiVo Series 3? I called a rep today in Seattle area and she didn't even know if they should install one card (multistream) or two. They did say they need to send a tech out to do the installation. If anyone has had this done, would love to hear your experience.
post #244 of 270 Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 PM

I am looking for exactly the same information. I cannot find pricing info or anything else about CableCards on the Broadstripe website.

Please post any info you find.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeng7400 View Post

Does anyone on this thread have experience with getting Millennium Digital (now Broadstripe) to install CableCards in the new TiVo Series 3? I called a rep today in Seattle area and she didn't even know if they should install one card (multistream) or two. They did say they need to send a tech out to do the installation. If anyone has had this done, would love to hear your experience.

post #245 of 270 Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 PM

I haven't heard from anyone else but the Millennium Digital (Broadstripe) customer service rep I spoke with (who was nice but not very knowledgeable) quoted a price of $19.95 for a tech to come out to do the CableCard install. Cards are $3/month, so if you need two it's $6/month. She also said you will not get any of the digital music channels (which are in the 900 series) on Tivo box.
post #246 of 270 Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 AM

After a tech visit, and a follow up call, my TivoHD is working with CableCards. The tech and csr both admitted to not having much experience with CableCard's, but I guess they had good written instructions as the process wasn't nearly as painful as I expected. $6 a month is what I was quoted as well (rental of 2 cards), but we'll see what my bill says.

Also, I do get the digital music channels.
post #247 of 270 Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I'm so sick of this company. It starts raining outside and 705 goes off the air just in time to miss Heroes. That and lately my HDDVR box seems to be taking longer and longer to respond to remote commands. It just drags and freezes so much now, I wonder if it is dying.
post #248 of 270 Old 11-24-2007, 01:28 AM

What kind of terrible cable company doesn't have HBO, Showtime or ANY of the premium channels in HD these days?

Argh why can't I live one block over.
post #249 of 270 Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Not to mention TNTHD, TBSHD, NFL network, VS HD, Discovery HD (not the Theater Channel) and several others that their competitors in the market have. On the plus side, at least Heroes recorded this week.
post #250 of 270 Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 PM

now that the fcc has decreed exclusive contracts for apartment buildings to be null and void, has anyone successfully convinced comcast to do an install in an mdm served building? considering that they both cover belltown, wouldn't it be possible?
post #251 of 270 Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 AM

I just got off the phone with Broadstripe, and they told me they only had a poor quality CableCARD in stock - and that I'd be placed on a call list for when they get the better quality cards in. This smelled a little like BS - but I haven't purchased my TiVo HD yet, so I wasn't super concerned.

Anyone have a recent CableCARD install done with Broadstripe?
post #252 of 270 Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 PM

I'm moving to Seattle and into a building that only offers Broadstripe. I've never heard of Broadstripe. I plan on getting HD DVR service. How does Broadstripe HD DVR service compare to Comcast HD DVR? Am I gonna be missing out on any features, channels or quality?
post #253 of 270 Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post

I'm moving to Seattle and into a building that only offers Broadstripe. I've never heard of Broadstripe. I plan on getting HD DVR service. How does Broadstripe HD DVR service compare to Comcast HD DVR? Am I gonna be missing out on any features, channels or quality?

Yes.

I cannot personally vouch for DVR features of HD quality since I don't have either. I am fairly certain their HD lineup pales in comparison to Comcast's, and judging by the quality of their analog service, I highly doubt the HD quality will match up favorably with that of Comcast.
post #254 of 270 Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post

I, on the other hand, cannot speak to Comcast HD, but do have an original Millenium (now Broadstripe) HD-DVR.

As mentioned elsewhere, Broadstripe's HD lineup is unforgivably, atrociously bad... it's honestly a travesty. Originally, my building was locked to Millenium by contract and the only reason I didn't go with OTA exclusively was to be able to watch sports in HD: KCPQ (the local Fox affiliate), which doesn't come in at my house, ESPN-HD and FSN-HD, which only broadcasts a few hours a day when individual FSN-carried sporting events are available in HD (primarily a few games a week for the Sonics and so far most every 2008 game for the Mariners). With the Sonics leaving town, FSN-HD will likely be dark for days on end during the winter months.

The HD DVR they gave me is a Motorola 6412, which is very slow to change channels, prone to muting itself without warning (for me, typically when FFwding past commercials) and lacks the ability to create series programs via keywords. Overall, I find that doing anything other than recording the show I'm currently watching and recording network series is fairly clunky. Also, setting delete priority for recordings is lame... it's either "keep until I delete" or "delete oldest recording when space is needed". You don't get to say "keep only 3 of this show" like you can in, say, Windows Media Center. This may be a limitation of the DVR itself, which used to also be offered by Comcast and may still be.

Either way, the lack of keyword-based programming is especially heinous for sports, since the DVR sees pretty much every sporting event as a 1-time event. Yesterday I had to manually schedule a recording for every Mariners game for the next week. Ugh.

Quality-wise, Broadstripe seems to have a lot of compression artifacts, especially ESPN-HD and FSN-HD. It's hard for me to say how much of that is Broadstripe and how much comes from their feed, but FSN-HD seems especially blocky. That said, it still looks loads better than any of the SD channels, which are almost all universally awful.

My understanding is that provider exclusivity contracts are no longer binding in Seattle, so you shouldn't be locked into Broadstripe. If you can get Comcast in your building, I say do it. Especially if you go through comcastspecial *dot* com and take advantage of the rebates.

I'd do it too, but the last thing I need is more HD channels to suck up my time. I'd rather just continue to gripe about my current lousy service provider...
post #255 of 270 Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

If you call Broadstripe they may switch out your DVR. I have the 6416, which seems to work well. It has a "record only 3 of this show" option. My main issue is that their HD transmission pixellates way too often. PBS KCTS is especially bad. They seem to do better with the cable only channels. All the analog channels (2-99) look awful on my LCD TV.
Also has anyone tried to hook up a used Comcast DVR to Broadstripe w/ any success?
post #256 of 270 Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Does anyone know the what the QAM Frequency is for FSN HD on Broadstripe (their channel 737)? Last year I got this on (I think) 111.1, but now I can't seem to find it.
post #257 of 270 Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think FSNHD is no longer in the clear. (i.e. you will need a box or cable card to see it now).
post #258 of 270 Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 AM

I have Broadstripe HD DVR digital cable but i'd like control TV and record TV with my Vista Media Center.

how can I do this?
what features would I miss?
what features would i gain?
post #259 of 270 Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

DiGiTY -

Unless your Media Center came with a cable card reader, you will be mostly out of luck on the digital (including HD) channels. If you did get one, you'll need to call Broadstripe and lease a cable card for your PC.

For the analog channels (2-99), Media Center works really well (way better than the DVR Broadstripe offers). You won't be missing any analog features.
post #260 of 270 Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 AM

Regarding Vista Media Center:

If you have an IR receiver with an IR blaster, you can control the cable box directly from Vista and watch/record/share/etc all the shows, including digital cable. However you cannot record HD shows in this manner - only the SD equivalents. If you purchase a computer which comes with a OCUR (CableCard for computers) device, you can record and playback all channels including HD. If you record the shows on Vista, you can watch them on Media Center Extenders or an Xbox 360 anywhere else in your house.
post #261 of 270 Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbarrett View Post

What kind of terrible cable company doesn't have HBO, Showtime or ANY of the premium channels in HD these days?

Argh why can't I live one block over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjoe View Post

It's still the same box you're describing. And the ads are still there. I've got mine hooked up through the DVI port though (with a DVI-HDMI converter) and the PQ is fine for me.

I agree the box sucks, but there seems to be no alternative unless you can switch cable companies. There is no stand-alone 2 tuner cablecard or OTA HD DVR that I know of on the market. (Been looking for close to a year now.) If OTA is good enough for you (probably not if you live in an apartment) you could build or buy an HTPC with 2 HD tuner cards.

-wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

I've been "working" with MDM for 2+ years trying to get them to upgrade their HD lineup. I am convinced MDM will not make it as a cable company. Through email and phone, all I get from MDM is lies. They told me two summers ago that HD was coming, yet others have been told that MDM will essentially "never" go HD due to cost.

Unfortunately, my apartment building has an exclusive agreement with MDM, why I have no idea. I've tried talking to my apartment management with no success. Looks like I am stuck with MDM. I will not give MDM a single penny until they decide to enter the 21st century. Since they only offer the OTA channels in HD anyway, it's a no brainer for me to just use a DTV set top box and avoid ridiculous monthly bills.

But yes, MDM is a joke of a cable company at this point. I don't see this changing anytime soon. MDM has promised to contact me when they offer a comprehensive HD package...I'm not holding my breath.

About a year ago, I decided that I had enough. Reporting back to this thread while back to forum studying other topics. Hope this will serve as reference info for others also thinking about alternatives.

MDM - about a year ago --> $120 for basic cable + HD (1 HD box + 1 HD DVR) + broadband cable internet; CRAZY, I thought. Looking back, it was also a joke that I could only record 15 hrs of HD. A couple of football games and my DVR was almost full!

My answer to "can't move my house 1 block to Comcast" was the Dish Network.

Dish Network --> $73 for basic dish (America's top 100 including local channels - "DVR Advantage" package) + HD (2 HD DVRs - 1 free provided by Dish, 1 bought from eBay).
Verizon DSL --> $28 (only 1.5Mb/s but I bear with it).

The best part about the move is the ViP722 DVR (55 hrs of HD!!!! or 350 hrs of SD). Both DVRs connect to a 2nd TV (in another room) which can use the DVR functionality independently. So basically I have 4 TVs hooked up and all 4 can use DVR! Note: 2nd TV's input from the Dish receiver is limited to SD through coaxial.

What I miss from MDM basic cable: FSN (could get it through Dish America's top 200 including local channels - "DVR Advantage" package for $10 more with gzillion other sports channels but decided to be cheap).
post #262 of 270 Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Okay, I'm sufficiently fed up with Broadstripe. They have yet again raised my rates and it's finally put me at the tipping point.

I'm going to explore DSL for my house but on the TV side, what are the chances I can have my pair of lifetime Tivos work with Dish Network? They're both Series 2 systems.

Thanks for any info or tips.

Evil(tm) Evolutionist
post #263 of 270 Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEvolutionist View Post

Okay, I'm sufficiently fed up with Broadstripe. They have yet again raised my rates and it's finally put me at the tipping point.

I'm going to explore DSL for my house but on the TV side, what are the chances I can have my pair of lifetime Tivos work with Dish Network? They're both Series 2 systems.

Evil(tm) Evolutionist

All the stuff I read says that Tivos don't work with anything other than cable and over-air. If you switch to Dish, they set you up with their top of the line vip722 HD DVR for free (I got another vip722 from eBay; they are less than $300 "new" shipped). I had some programs on the MDM DVR that I wanted to keep so I burned a few DVDs (DVD Recorders are about $100 or less now).

PS, I needed a second vip722 because I have 2 HD TVs and I wanted both HDTVs to have DVR function. You just need 1 vip722 if you plan to hook up 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV; both TVs, although in different rooms, would be able to use the DVR function.

Update: If you don't need HD recording and viewing, all you need is the SD DVR 625. You can get the DVR advantage package for $40 or $50 depending on 100 channels or 200 channels; this includes the DVR fee for 1 DVR and the local channels. If you have a 2nd DVR, there is an extra charge of $5.98/mo.
post #264 of 270 Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Has anyone else had trouble accessing QAM channels? I can't receive any digital channels at all - and I just got a new tuner to make sure that wasn't the problem.

It could be my building's ghetto old network -- but more likely, I think it's this ridiculous joke of a cable company. Still, it'd be useful to know if anyone else who is on Broadstrip can still access QAM channels in the clear.
post #265 of 270 Old 10-04-2008, 10:56 AM

I still have QAM channels with my non-digital box TV's. I have a digital box on one of my TVs and that does not let me program any of the QAM channels. I've decided to undo the digital box, as I don't see any benefit to it. The quality of the reception is not as good, there is a delay in switching channels, and having to leave a cabinet partially open in order to switch the channels.

Broadstripe has been having horrible problems in my area recently. Huge variables in speed in both upload, download and ping over a period of minutes on a daily basis.
post #266 of 270 Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEvolutionist View Post

Evil(tm) Evolutionist

this is a company fighting for survivial. they were going to be bought up by rcn cable then by comcast by i guess those companys were smart and backed out. they will continue to limp along until some dumb company buys them.
post #267 of 270 Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM

I've lived in South Snohomish County (Woodinville area) for ten years. When I moved here I checked out Broadstripe (MDM then) and their meager offerings and went to direcTV. Been happy with satellite for ten years, but now I want HD. Unfortunately I've got line of sight (tree) issues that would be nasty to solve. Broadstripe HD? Sorry, I'd rather cut down some trees.

Found a door hanger this week that Verizon FIOS is coming to my neighborhood. Sweet! Digging is supposed to start in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they can get done in time for me to hook up that new HD flat-panel I am going to give myself for X-Mas!

I suspect that Broadstripe will soon be toast in my neighborhood...
post #268 of 270 Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM

For those predicting Broadstripe's demise:
It's at businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090102005306&newsLang=en

I don't have 3 posts yet so I can't put the appropriate www in front of the URL above.

They've just gone up another $20/month for HD--I still can't get over that they charge an additional $5/month to get KING-5.
post #269 of 270 Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 PM

I found it interesting that the notice didn't include a single reference to improving their product/offering as part of the turnaround plan. I hope this company dies and goes away so I can try to convince a decent provider to take over service to our building.
post #270 of 270 Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page