Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live where our local cable provider, Adelphia, doesnt offere ANY HDTV, no OTA channels either. I am currently use D* but i wasnt able to get any local channels until I got a tip from the installer. I kept my billing address the same, but changed my service address to my uncles who lives in Phoenix, AZ (im in Yuma, AZ). I now can get the phoenix locals..NBC, ABC, etc... Im getting the HD setup from D* in a few days, will I be able to get the phoenix local channels in HD as it thinks i am there? Or even If I did live in phoenix, would I have to get them by OTA signals? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
DirecTV doesn't offer Phoenix stations in HD.

It will offer the top12 markets in HD, possibly by the end of the year, and Phoenix (#14) should be in the next dozen markets, which should be added, barring more dealys, in the first quarter of 2006.
post #3 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey, thank for the reply. Im so jealous of all of you who get to watch those channels in HD. They have lots of great programs.
post #4 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
You may be making a mistake by going to Directv if you live in Yuma. I was one of the lucky ones and had all 8 e/w hd channels and lost them all due to the law. I called them to double check and they stated no go. Yuma is not eligbile nor are they even on the radar screen for locals, even non hd locals. Adelphia is a horrible provider, but, at this point they will offer more for a little bit cheaper depending on your number of receivers and services. If you lived in Yuma long enough, you will understand that any services or technologies will be far behind and outdated. We live in the middle of the desert connected to Mexico, what do you expect.
post #5 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, i've been here 21 years. We ARE outdated. When I first switched to D*, I knew I loved it more. It was 10x clearer than Adelphia, and I didnt have to watch all those HORRIBLE local commercials anymore. Like I said, I am getting NBC, ABC, FOX, etc.. from phoenix because I told them I was getting service there, when I still am here. I just want them in HD now..:). But with D*, at least I'll be able to get their HD package (Discovery, ESPNHD (and soon to be ESPN2HD!!), and the rest of them. May I ask what e/w means? Thanks!
post #6 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is the digital only (im assuming the HD ones) stations it list from my information:

Well, I cant paste it in here, so please go here and use my zip, 85365.

HERE!!

They are all about 33 miles away...is that too far to receive their OTA? There are NO tall buildings by any means in our town, and there are no trees around me that would block that direction. If 33 miles might not be too far, how do I use this information? Would I have to get an antenna that can pick up those signals, plug it into my OTA reciever (hughes HR10-250 or Sony 50xs955), and tune to those channels? Thanks for any help you can give me!

EDIT: I was reading THIS thread and they were acting like he could get channels from 40 miles away and another person in the thread said to get a telves antenna to receive channels from 50-60 miles away. Is that really possible and would it be a solution for me?

Ok, one more edit, I saw THIS antenna at antennasdirect.com and says it can recieve signals up to 70 miles and is multidirectional. How do I know if I need a multi-directional or a one way antenna? All of the stations I can get are pretty much directly west of me.
post #7 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If I were you, I'd try rabbit ears first. You just might be surprised. Yuma is pretty flat as I recall. I notice you don't have an ABC station in the area, digital or analog.

Bobby 

post #8 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

e/w = East/West
post #9 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:07 AM

What about network owned affiliates. Are any of the affiliates in Phoenix owned by the Net's and if so, couldn't he still get those - not a DNS issue?

Chris
post #10 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You guys should start a Yuma thread in the Local HDTV forum - it may be dismal now, but it may get better eventually. Plus, misery loves company ;)
post #11 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, the only two I would really want are NBC and FOX. So do I need a UNI directional antenna? And I just mount it up on the roof and aim it west? What is that 315 degree spec? How do I use that? Thanks again for your help, its greatly appreciated!
post #12 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

I'm 40 miles and the 4228 works great for me. I am metro boston and not as flat as you so I would think the 4228 would be a great antenna for you also.
post #13 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:27 AM

I get my signals at 85% strength at 87 miles w/ a cm 4228 and cm7777 amp

42P-HDRA
H-10
post #14 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, i've gotta be honest, im getting excited now. I NEVER thought OTA would be possible for me and I never thought I would get to watch my locals in HD. I've never dealt with OTA tuners or anything, and the receiver I am getting, Hughes hr10-250, has one on it and also my tv, Sony 50xs955, has one on it. All I do is plug the antenna into either one and watch away? Which one would be better to use, the receiver or the TV? Thanks!
post #15 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PExeter
Wow, i've gotta be honest, im getting excited now. I NEVER thought OTA would be possible for me and I never thought I would get to watch my locals in HD. I've never dealt with OTA tuners or anything, and the receiver I am getting, Hughes hr10-250, has one on it and also my tv, Sony 50xs955, has one on it. All I do is plug the antenna into either one and watch away? Which one would be better to use, the receiver or the TV? Thanks!
Use the receiver. The HR10-250 is a DVR, so you'll be able to record your OTA locals if you want...Plus, they'll be integrated into your program guide.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #16 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have the Cm 4228 and the 7777 Amp on its way! I got two day shipping and im crossing my fingers! I will let you know how it turns out. Also, i have NO idea how to set this stuff up so i'll probably be back for help. Thank you guys for your help!
post #17 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
So do I need a UNI directional antenna?What is that 315 degree spec? How do I use that?
Zero degrees is north, 90 degrees is east, 180 degrees is south, 270 degrees is west, and 360 degrees is north again. So 315 degrees is halfway between west and north, that is, northwest.

You can look up detailed information about the stations that you want to receive, via the FCC TV station database. Select the "TV Query" type output for the most information, including maps showig the approximate areas that the stations should be covering (the "service contour maps").

As of the beginning of July, both KECY (FOX) and KYMA (NBC) should be broadcasting at full power, which is over 900 kW for both of them. Yuma is well within the service contour for both. Frankly, I think the 4228/7777 combination is probably overkill. The UHF part of a directional UHF/VHF combo from Radio Shack would probably work fine. Both stations are in the same direction, so you don't need a rotator.

i suspect that Antennaweb's data is out of date, and they're using the old lower-power figures for those stations.

I was going to sugggest looking in the "HDTV Local Info and Reception" forum here for a thread about your area, but there doesn't seem to be one for Yuma / El Centro.
post #18 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
shouldn't this be in the local HDTV programming forum since it only applies to the Yuma/Phoenix market ?
post #19 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

PExeter, why dont you move your service address to Los Angeles instead?

Youll get all the locals in HD that way....

The drawback would be that you wouldnt get he Phoenix SD locals anymore...

And you would not get your Fox Sports Az anymore, you would ge the LA RSN's, whatever they are...

Just a thought....
post #20 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I did look into that forum, but it hasnt been created yet. When I visited the D* store about getting the HD programming and equipment, you could tell they have had no experience selling it becuase im probably 1 of 3 people who actually care about HD. With the antenna, I was thinking 'overkill' would get me near a 100% signal..:). Thank you for all that information. I should have this setup by the weekend and we'll see how it works. Thanks again.
post #21 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1
PExeter, why dont you move your service address to Los Angeles instead?

Youll get all the locals in HD that way....

The drawback would be that you wouldnt get he Phoenix SD locals anymore...

And you would not get your Fox Sports Az anymore, you would ge the LA RSN's, whatever they are...

Just a thought....
Wouldn't that constitute fraud?
post #22 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145
Wouldn't that constitute fraud?
Im not sure legally what it would be considered....

All I know is it works..lol

And I learned it right here on AVS forums...

Personally, I think fraud is a pretty strong word for it..

Fraud is something you can go to jail for, and this is definately not something that would land a guy behind bars....
post #23 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Im not sure legally what it would be considered....

All I know is it works..lol

And I learned it right here on AVS forums...

Personally, I think fraud is a pretty strong word for it..

Fraud is something you can go to jail for, and this is definately not something that would land a guy behind bars....
how about theft of services
post #24 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't argue with Guffy, he knows everything.

Lying to D* about where your service location is in order to circumvent FCC rules about what stations you are eligible for is illegal. End of story.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #25 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145
how about theft of services
Now thats just plain silly...

Its not theft if you pay for it....

It may be illegal, it may be considered unethical...

It is not fraud, it is not theft, it is taught on AVS forums, that is where I learned it...
post #26 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now thats just plain silly...

Its not theft if you pay for it....

It may be illegal, it may be considered unethical...

It is not fraud, it is not theft, it is taught on AVS forums, that is where I learned it...
Hmmm....it's not theft if you pay for it? Where'd ya learn that one? I guess you need to consider who the theft is from, Guffy. Local stations pay a large sum of money for the exclusive right to broadcast network programming in a certain area. When you lie about where you live, you are viewing programming from another source that the local station has paid for the rights to provide exclusively to you. So while you may not be stealing from DirecTv, you are indeed stealing. It is illegal, unethical, and theft.

And just because you were "taught" it on the internet does not make it legal, ethical or not fraud.

"Some have the speed, and the right combinations, but if you can't take the punches, it don't mean a thing."
post #27 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah, I did look into that forum, but it hasnt been created yet.
It is now.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #28 of 32 Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Phoenix channel 10 is owned by Fox so you would be able to get FoxHD from directv but thats it
post #29 of 32 Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Direct TV knows its a bunch of junk when people call up to change their service addresses and leave their billing the same..Its just something they have to do to get around the laws. That way, their not responsible, and no one is the wiser. D* knows whats going on..
post #30 of 32 Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Direct TV knows its a bunch of junk when people call up to change their service addresses and leave their billing the same..Its just something they have to do to get around the laws. That way, their not responsible, and no one is the wiser. D* knows whats going on..
Of course they know whats going on, its a totally common practice...

If its illegal (and technically Im sure it is) it falls somewhere between tearing the tag off your matress and jaywalking...

MnGuy, you can shovel all the self righteous BS towards me that you like...

What you think means absolutely zero to me though, so you may as well forget about it...

You only exist on these forums to argue with people, you bring absolutely zero to the table..

So beat it....
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page