Idaho Falls, ID - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 171 Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently live in Pocatello. I have Direct TV, which doesn't carry any local channel. I would like to know what kind of antenna should I get to pick up the PBS and KIDK channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 171 Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Hello Alvin,

Welcome to the forum! KIDK and KISU are both UHF stations. They both have fairly strong signals but may present a challenge to receive in certain parts of Pocatello. Can you go to tvfool.com and post your results to this forum. Please use your actual address. We will not see your address but it will model signal strength at your location. Please post the link found at near the top of the page to the forum. You need 5 posts before you can post links so post a four test posts then the final one with the link.

If you interested in ABC (a VHF station), I would recommend the Winegard 7694 antenna. It should do a good job for you (a good bet before seeing your tvfool results).
HTH,

Rick
West side of Idaho Falls
post #93 of 171 Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Just an FYI ...KIFI (abc) has a digital UHF signal on Mt. Howard in Pocatello, but if you have a good antenna in Pocatello you may also pick up their main VHF channel from the Butte near Idaho Falls. If this happens you'll have 2 channels trying to map to 8.1 and 8.2 .... So you may have to go into your box menu and block out the weaker signal.

if your trying to pull in KIDK and KISU from Pocatello, try pointing the antenna towards the north or northwest

happy hunting.
post #94 of 171 Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
rbf

Anybody know what's going on with KPIF Channel 15 from Pocatello? Their analog channel has not been on the air for several days.
post #95 of 171 Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Sad news for now.
Due to budget problems the upgrade for KFXP to HD 16:9 has been pushed back until...???
Will give updates as they are available.
Current KFXP will continue to upconvert to digital from an SD source.
post #96 of 171 Old 05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Sad news about KFXP putting off HD conversion.... Understandable given the economy though. Does anyone receive KPIF in IF? I receive the LP religious station 3ABN (ch 47) which is managed by KPIF but not KPIF. My testing has been with a converter box that includes analog passthrough. Ch47 is digital but ch 15, KPIF is still analog. I can receive the local analogs except ch 15.

Rick
West side of IF
post #97 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM

on KIFI's website they say that they'll be the new CW station. looks like it's going to be a digital subchannel but no word on HD

From their website

"Starting this fall, The KIFI News Group will broadcast The CW Television Network in full-power digital on its digital spectrum. The CW East Idaho will be available both over the air and on cable systems throughout the Idaho Falls-Pocatello and Jackson, Wyoming television market"
post #98 of 171 Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Got a call today that KIDK was back on, finally. Just no HD yet, wonder if we will have to wait another six months for that?
post #99 of 171 Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, what happens to KPIF in the fall with CW moving to KIFI? Off the air?

Good news that the CBS programs are available to Dish subs! Hope they give you guys the HD version soon!
post #100 of 171 Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, cool! I made the 100th post to this forum! Kinda pitiful that it took from 8/05 to now to achieve the 100 post milestone though.....
post #101 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
rbf

Here's and email I received fromn KPIF Gen. Mgr regarding their new programming once they lose CW network:

Our new network will be RTN (Retro Television Network,) and we will be in standard definition. Look for more exciting channels to be added in the future, but I cannot name them at the time as we are still negotiating.

Sincerely,

Brian Nugent
General Manager
KPIF TV
post #102 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info rbf! Good to know that we won't lose the station and may have some good stuff this fall!

Best,

Rick
post #103 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 PM

I live on the west side of Idaho Falls. I have an antenna in the attic pointed due west. Antennaweb.org says channels 3, 8, and 10 broadcast digitally from east twin butte, essentially due west of me. I get great reception on channels 8 and 10 digitally. I get absolutely no signal from channel 3. What the solution to getting channel 3.

I have a separate antenna pointed SSW and get Channel 6 great.
post #104 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Daveed,

Ch 3 (CBS) is broadcast on UHF channel 36. At one time, I had an antenna in the attic and found the same situation as you: great signal for ABC and PBS but poor signal for CBS. Moving the antenna up to the roof resolved that problem. Is that an option for you, can you roof mount your antenna? I also found that CBS is bothered a bit more by trees than ABC or PBS. You may be able to improve CBS signal if you can find an aiming position which avoids going through trees.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Best,

Rick
West side of Idaho Falls
post #105 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

Wow, cool! I made the 100th post to this forum! Kinda pitiful that it took from 8/05 to now to achieve the 100 post milestone though.....

How is it going over there for you and the rest of the OTA folks? Do you know how you fair after today yet?

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #106 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Garrett,

Our transition was pretty easy. Our ABC affiliate switched from ch 9 to 8. All the other majors were already broadcasting on both analog and digital. So it was merely turning off the analog signal.

We do have stragglers though... One of my good friends purchased the antenna that I recommended way back in January. She told me that hubby will be putting it up on the 13th!

All the best!

Rick
post #107 of 171 Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Garrett,

Our transition was pretty easy. Our ABC affiliate switched from ch 9 to 8. All the other majors were already broadcasting on both analog and digital. So it was merely turning off the analog signal.

We do have stragglers though... One of my good friends purchased the antenna that I recommended way back in January. She told me that hubby will be putting it up on the 13th!

All the best!

Rick

Rick, how are your VHF-HI stations in terms of power and viewer receiving...?

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #108 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Prior to yesterday, we had five vhf stations (3,6,8,9 and 10). Ch 9 was digital and the rest analog. Ch 9 moved to ch 8 and increased power to 63 kW (max ERP). NM and power at my location are 56.4 dB and -34.5 dBm. This is my strongest station and is very easy to receive. In their PSA's, KIFI (8) indicated that some distant outlying areas would lose reception and others needed to use a high gain antenna plus pre-amp. Some locations still have LP analog repeaters because of terrain issues.
post #109 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prior to yesterday, we had five vhf stations (3,6,8,9 and 10). Ch 9 was digital and the rest analog. Ch 9 moved to ch 8 and increased power to 63 kW (max ERP). NM and power at my location are 56.4 dB and -34.5 dBm. This is my strongest station and is very easy to receive. In their PSA's, KIFI (8) indicated that some distant outlying areas would lose reception and others needed to use a high gain antenna plus pre-amp. Some locations still have LP analog repeaters because of terrain issues.

Oh, wow, a 63kW VHF digital, that should be booming out at 60-70 miles with a YA-1713 and preamp! One great thing about the VHF-HI DTs (that I have witnessed), is that terrain does not seem to matter, as long as the person is in the range with a good antenna, they should get the station.

KD0MOF

post #110 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 02:58 PM

I currently have Dish Network. I had a 40$/month plan up until last fall. Our budget got a bit tighter and we cut back to just locals and DVR service for 20$month. (couldn't give up the DVR) I'm finally thinking it is time to get an HDTV and am looking into the Dish DTVPal. Main reason for the switch is I won't have a monthly fee and the remote/user interface will be pretty much the same. (keep the wife happy)
I have read through this thread, and plugged in my address on tvfool.com. tvfool says I should only need a set top antenna to receive the local stations.
I live near Bonneville high on the NE side of IF. Does this sound right to any of you on my side of town? and do any of you have experience with non monthly fee HD DVR's? Any info would be appreciated before i start to purchase anything.
post #111 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke4321 View Post

I currently have Dish Network. I had a 40$/month plan up until last fall. Our budget got a bit tighter and we cut back to just locals and DVR service for 20$month. (couldn't give up the DVR) I'm finally thinking it is time to get an HDTV and am looking into the Dish DTVPal. Main reason for the switch is I won't have a monthly fee and the remote/user interface will be pretty much the same. (keep the wife happy)
I have read through this thread, and plugged in my address on tvfool.com. tvfool says I should only need a set top antenna to receive the local stations.
I live near Bonneville high on the NE side of IF. Does this sound right to any of you on my side of town? and do any of you have experience with non monthly fee HD DVR's? Any info would be appreciated before i start to purchase anything.

I would get the Dish DTRpal, just to keep you wife happy! Ask IDRick for Mclapp's 4 bay bow tie antenna, that should get your locals with ease!

KD0MOF

post #112 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the forum hayduke! We do have very strong signals here in IF but the indoor antennas are not as reliable as a good roof mount. I can share plans for a DIY antenna that works well for me on the westside. If you're not interested in DIY, I would recommend a Winegard 7694 antenna. Let me know if you want the plans, can send them by e-mail.

Early release pal dvr's had some significant issues. I believe most, if not all, of the issues have been fixed. These two threads will give you the latest experiences: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95820
HTH

Rick
post #113 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum hayduke! We do have very strong signals here in IF but the indoor antennas are not as reliable as a good roof mount. I can share plans for a DIY antenna that works well for me on the westside. If you're not interested in DIY, I would recommend a Winegard 7694 antenna. Let me know if you want the plans, can send them by e-mail.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the fast response Rick!!

KD0MOF

post #114 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Your welcome my friend! Thanks for the recommend on the mclapp, it is very good!
post #115 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Rick,
thanks for the info, i had a PM all typed up but don't have the post count to send it yet. I'd love to take a look at your DIY stuff. My dad was pretty big into ham radios so he may even have some mast/part that will work.
post #116 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Hi Daveed,

Ch 3 (CBS) is broadcast on UHF channel 36. At one time, I had an antenna in the attic and found the same situation as you: great signal for ABC and PBS but poor signal for CBS. Moving the antenna up to the roof resolved that problem. Is that an option for you, can you roof mount your antenna? I also found that CBS is bothered a bit more by trees than ABC or PBS. You may be able to improve CBS signal if you can find an aiming position which avoids going through trees.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Best,

Rick
West side of Idaho Falls

IDRick
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into a rooftop mount. Which antenna do you recommmend?

Not looking for a diatribe, but do you know why channel 3 is so much more difficult to receive on the west side of idaho Falls?

Daveed
post #117 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not really sure why ch 3 provides reception challenges. I can say that things improved dramatically when I put the antenna up on the roof versus in the attic. We have many tall evergreens in my neighborhood which can tremendously reduce the available signal (particularly when they are in the line of site to the KIDK tower). KIDK and KFXP are the two most popular local stations. KFXP is weaker than KIDK which in turn means the antenna needs to be aimed more toward Pocatello than toward the east Butte. Moving the antenna off direct axis reduces signal strength as well.

Which antenna is a good question. I really like the Winegard 7694 antenna for our location. I am building a DIY 4-bay antenna that I will be mounting on the roof. So far, I have only been testing various antenna design parameters. The DIY does work pretty though. The general plans can be found here: http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/A.../diagrams.html My build has 10 inch whiskers and 9-1/2 inch spacing between bays. I'm using a 36"x36" flat reflector. I have attached a picture of my test antenna (reflector not shown). The standoffs are carlon pvc strap and work well for this purpose.

Best,

Rick
LL
LL
post #118 of 171 Old 06-13-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke4321 View Post

Rick,
thanks for the info, i had a PM all typed up but don't have the post count to send it yet. I'd love to take a look at your DIY stuff. My dad was pretty big into ham radios so he may even have some mast/part that will work.

I attached pictures of my test build in a previous post. I will use the carlon pvc strap to attach to a pvc framework. It will end up looking something like this: http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/A...dimensions.jpg My reflector is hardware cloth and will sit inbetween the antenna elements and the pvc frame. I will use u-bolts to attach the pvc frame to an antenna mast. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Rick
post #119 of 171 Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I attached pictures of my test build in a previous post. I will use the carlon pvc strap to attach to a pvc framework. It will end up looking something like this: http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/A...dimensions.jpg My reflector is hardware cloth and will sit inbetween the antenna elements and the pvc frame. I will use u-bolts to attach the pvc frame to an antenna mast. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Rick

Wow, you did a great job on that antenna. Paint and put it on the roof and no one will ever know it was not a commercially made antenna.

KD0MOF

post #120 of 171 Old 06-20-2009, 09:03 AM
rbf

Ever since the DTV conversion, my tv has stopped receiving the 'TV Guide On Screen' data. I use to receive it on PBS KISU channel 10 analog, but I can't seem to receive this data through their digital channels.

Anyone else having this problem?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page