Idaho Falls, ID - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 171 Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the few fortunate individuals living in this market, we currently have one HD channel, PBS (10.5). PBS-HD typically broadcast between 2-4 hours of HD programing each evening/night. NBC & ABC are broadcast digitally, but no HD is currently available. I haven't been able to get any more information from the local studios on when they expect to be broadcast HD programing (although the a few were kind enough to say that switching over from analog to digital was REALLY expensive--glad they pointed that out ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thought I'd add just one more post, zero looks so sad. Anyway, rumor has it NBC will be going HD soon, EVERYONE stay tuned !
post #3 of 171 Old 12-20-2005, 02:47 PM

I guess what kind of pisses me off is that they aren't HD, probably won't do it anytime soon, and yet I am still not allowed to go elsewhere (CBSHD feed on Dish Network).

This has long been a problem as I have been putting up (as have the rest of us) with their subpar signal quality for many years (note to the local news teams: that background hum that we all hear on your newscasts really shouldn't be there).

I do have a question for anyone that knows - I recently switched from Cableone HD DVR with cable's version of PBS and now have a Dish Network receiver. I plugged in a pair of rabbit ears in my basement and miraculously enough I get 3/6/8/10's digital signals with just that. My question is about PBS, what was I getting on cable and why does it not compare to what I have now? The cable HD feed was on every afternoon to evening but today I turn it on and there is nothing.
post #4 of 171 Old 02-03-2006, 04:33 PM

don't know if anyone is reading but... drum roll...

Channel 8 is going hidef starting Super Bowl Sunday.

All I can say is finally.. maybe this will get the ball rolling with the other stations.. like maybe NBC in time for the Olympics?
post #5 of 171 Old 02-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Adam where do you live and what kind of antenna do you use? I live in Pocatello and am trying to get local digital signals on antenna and can't get anything but channel 6 and on a good day, 10. I have tried several kinds of indoor antennas but can't get channel 8 at anything over 30% and it seems 54% is the threshold for good viewing. Also in case anyone is wondering, channel 6 is broadcasting 1080i HD now for NBC Olympics, but prime time shows after that is uncertain. I hear KIFI 8 is broadcasting ABC's 720p but can't confirm that due to my reception problems
post #6 of 171 Old 02-17-2006, 05:18 PM

I live in Idaho Falls and I am pretty sure that all of the digital transmissions are originating from here - with the possible exception of PBS which is probably using the Buttes to the west of town for their broadcast.

Of all of the networks, ABC seems to have the least amount of HD programming, and as it would figure the least amount of programming in HD that will interest me.

For the record, they are broadcasting ABC network shows in 720p, at least the paltry few that ABC chooses to broadcast in 720p.
post #7 of 171 Old 02-18-2006, 02:25 PM

How strong do you get channel 3? I just put up an outdoor antenna and get channel 6 and 10 very strong, channel 3 I don't pick up at all and channel 8 I get right on the edge of viewing but unfortunately on the bad edge. Of course the ABC HD shows are the ones I really want to get...
post #8 of 171 Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 PM

I get all of them just barely above the threshold needed to receive them on my DVR-942 (dish network + hd tuner + hd dvr).

That is with a cheap amplified antenna in my basement though, I think that I may be putting up an outside antenna this spring because it looks like NBC has just 'flicked the switch.' I was watching Olympics tonight and NBC is now HD!!!!

Only two left... maybe CBS will feel the pressure now! I am going to write them a letter and let them know that they are the only one left!

And Fox... it may be a while? There is not a peep from them yet...
post #9 of 171 Old 02-20-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGott View Post

And Fox... it may be a while? There is not a peep from them yet...

You're going to be waiting awhile. FOX does not have a second channel. It is either analog or digital for them. I don't expect any OTA FOX until the end of analog.

CBS broadcasts its digital signal from the top of the studio, not at the main transmitter site. It is very low power.

ABC and PBS are at the same location west of Idaho Falls. NBC's tower is down in Pocatello.
post #10 of 171 Old 02-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Never mind.
post #11 of 171 Old 03-24-2006, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For those wondering about which antenna to choose and where signals are originating, check out the AntennaWeb website (.org). They have a list of three of the four digital broadcasters (PBS, NBC and CBS, but no ABC). Good site for deciding on how to aim your antenna. FWIW
post #12 of 171 Old 03-24-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Compared to living in a few other places, our selections may be limited, but they don't suck.
post #13 of 171 Old 03-24-2006, 07:56 PM

What is the deal with NBC? I don't watch much network tv so I could be wrong but it seems to me that they are now back to SD broadcasting?
post #14 of 171 Old 03-25-2006, 02:32 PM

Channel 6 only does SD now, upconverted to 1080i. NBC doesn't have a Mountain time zone HD feed so HD won't resume until the station gets a DVR type thing to do their own delay from the Eastern feed, like what channel 8 already has running. I found a way to elevate my antenna a few inches and now I can finally get channel 8 at 70%. Any word on when channel 3 will get their act together, I can now get 6,8,10 good but 3 does still not register at all on my receiver. Also, is channel 3 actually doing HD or just upconverting their SD?
post #15 of 171 Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 PM

This is my first post. I am not able to get channel 8 in digital. I live on the east side of idaho falls. 3, 6, and 10 come in well. but am wondering, why NBC is broadcast in 4:3, and when they show a show that should be in HD, like West Wing, they letterbox it but it still has the black bars on the sides.

I finaly have a 56 DLP, but the HD channels cuts me down to 40

any reply apreciated
post #16 of 171 Old 04-05-2006, 09:17 PM

I live in Pocatello for now, was IF and will be again some day. Looking at Linux friendly HD capture cards pchdtv[dot]com I found a link to antennaweb[dot]org which really helps. Spells out what reception to expect: analog, digital, distance, direction... what kind of antenna they recommend etc...

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

Channel 6 only does SD now, upconverted to 1080i. NBC doesn't have a Mountain time zone HD feed so HD won't resume until the station gets a DVR type thing to do their own delay from the Eastern feed, like what channel 8 already has running. I found a way to elevate my antenna a few inches and now I can finally get channel 8 at 70%. Any word on when channel 3 will get their act together, I can now get 6,8,10 good but 3 does still not register at all on my receiver. Also, is channel 3 actually doing HD or just upconverting their SD?

post #17 of 171 Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 PM

KPVI channel 6 is showing live sports from NBC in HD now and has been for a couple of weeks, not that there is a whole lot of it. Hockey fans like me will be glad to know the Stanley Cup Finals are in HD, next game Monday night.
post #18 of 171 Old 06-24-2006, 02:14 PM

awsome i will check it out it will be nice to have some hd on something besides pbs

are you doing cable, dish, or directv and what option do you have for hd

thanks
post #19 of 171 Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Aside from PBS, many of the stations are limiting their HD broadcast to big ticket events such as the Olympics, Superbowl and other Championships. Course, NBC is broadcasting the national weather in HD on their second channel (THANKS!).
post #20 of 171 Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM

origionaly quated by erandmckay
Quote:

Aside from PBS, many of the stations are limiting their HD broadcast to big ticket events such as the Olympics, Superbowl and other Championships. Course, NBC is broadcasting the national weather in HD on their second channel (THANKS!).

actualy NBC's weather feed is digital but not high def, I have yet to tune into NBC local during sporting events to chech PQ out. But i finally upgraded my directv to HD and am very impresed with a few channels, especially Discovery HD theater. Are you able to pick up Channel 8 in digital. also how is your picture quality on PBS

Thanks
post #21 of 171 Old 06-28-2006, 08:07 PM

E-mail from KIDK about HD

We will begin broadcasting a high power Standard Definition digital signal around July ,2006. The High Definition programming will follow sometime later this year.

Regards,

Gary Smith
KIDK KIDK-DT
Phone: 208-522-5100
Fax: 208-522-5103
post #22 of 171 Old 07-28-2006, 04:45 AM

I'm going to be moving back to IF and the house I'm moving into comes with free cable via Teton Wireless. Does anyone know if TWTV is or will ever broadcast any HD channels? Or should I go ahead and stick with my big dish system on this one?
post #23 of 171 Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 PM

No HD on Teton Wireless
post #24 of 171 Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Well its good to see NBC broadcasting SNL, The tonight Show, and Sports in HD. I love it! Im OTA in Pocatello
post #25 of 171 Old 12-18-2006, 09:23 AM

Hello,
I just moved to the area and am looking into buying an antenna. But I have some questions before I proceed.
1) What stations are broadcasting in 720p or higher in the Idaho Falls area?
2) Why does antennaweb . orgg say that their are 2 digital brocasts? Are these broadcast in 720p or better?
3) . titantv . comm says that only channel 8 is broadcast in HDTV. Is this true?
Please someone shed some light on this?
Thank you
post #26 of 171 Old 12-22-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchHDTV View Post

Hello,
I just moved to the area and am looking into buying an antenna. But I have some questions before I proceed.
1) What stations are broadcasting in 720p or higher in the Idaho Falls area?
2) Why does antennaweb . orgg say that their are 2 digital brocasts? Are these broadcast in 720p or better?
3) . titantv . comm says that only channel 8 is broadcast in HDTV. Is this true?
Please someone shed some light on this?
Thank you

Channels 6, 8 and 10 broadcast in HDTV. I get them with a pair of amplified rabbit ears in a basement window. Channel 3 is a digital broadcast but not HDTV. Fox (31) is nothing...

There are some audio problems on channel 8's HD broadcast sometimes (sync) but overall these three channels have pretty good quality broadcasts. Even channel 10, which has five sub-channels in SD.

Channel 6 also have a sub-channel that is 24 hour weather.
post #27 of 171 Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Anyone have any news on channel 3 (CBS) or channel 31 (FOX) going HD? I lost my CBS-HD national feeds from Dish Network a few months ago and I can't stand watching SD any longer. I really want the Super Bowl in HD this year too!

(if anyone from these channels is reading this thread, I am boycotting you after the Super Bowl until you go HD, my wife will certainly be happy when the next football season starts)
post #28 of 171 Old 02-03-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGott View Post

(if anyone from these channels is reading this thread, I am boycotting you after the Super Bowl until you go HD, my wife will certainly be happy when the next football season starts)

You're going to be boycotting FOX awhile. FOX doesn't have a second channel like the other stations. Therefore, they can't broadcast in analog and digital simultaneously. You probably won't see a digital signal from channel 31 until the deadline in 2009.
post #29 of 171 Old 02-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effseesee View Post

You're going to be boycotting FOX awhile. FOX doesn't have a second channel like the other stations. Therefore, they can't broadcast in analog and digital simultaneously. You probably won't see a digital signal from channel 31 until the deadline in 2009.

Or not, maybe someone somewhere will get some sense and let me BUY Fox programming from somewhere else if my locals can't provide HD service. I can get a dozen or so HD Fox stations on Dish network if they would only let me. It's not as good as broadcast HDTV but it is better than SD broadcast by Dish by quite a bit.
post #30 of 171 Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 PM

So does anyone have any theories on why KIDK (CBS) hasn't followed through with going HD yet? They said they had planned to do the Super Bowl in HD this year, but that turned out to be false (to my dismay). Now it looks like we're all going to have to watch the NCAA Tournament and the Masters in SD......

Anything that I've missed?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page