Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3315 Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any value in reporting this to CBS about the local affiliate ignoring the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3315 Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've now left another message with Victor in engineering. The person I spoke to previously wrote my info down, but passed it to Victor in the end. I think there may be some other avenues before reporting this directly to CBS. So, it's important to keep calling and leaving messages.

I was able to confirm that I'm experiencing this problem with my antenna feed. So, this is definitely happening at the source and not introduced by one of our providers.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #3243 of 3315 Old 01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I call the number and pressed 0 and waited and waited.... Then I got booted off the phone but the automated system.

I just don't get why they haven't noticed the issue and fixed it yet.
post #3244 of 3315 Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I've checked my Person of Interest recording from Tuesday night and didn't notice the audio problem. I also checked the Hostages recording from Monday and found a Hyundai commercial in common with the Person of Interest recording. The commercial during the Hostages recording exhibited the issue while the one during Person of Interest did not. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that they've finally addressed the problem. I'm reserving judgement until after the shows tonight.

UPDATE: After watching Big Bang and checking Elementary last night, I believe the audio issue has been resolved.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #3245 of 3315 Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 AM

I agree that the problem seems to have been fixed. We watched NCIS this week and no issues and no complaints from the wife smile.gif
post #3246 of 3315 Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody else here have limited basic from Comcast in either New Britain or Hartford? If so, did your bill go up by $1.50 or so? I no longer receive a paper copy of my monthly bill. I go to log into Comcast's website. One I enter my user name and password, it keeps going right back to that same screen over and over, regardless of the browser I use (Mozilla Firefox first and Internet Explorer second). mad.gif
post #3247 of 3315 Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anybody know when Groton will be upgrade to 860mhz? We're missing a ton of channels down here...
post #3248 of 3315 Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM

I was looking into adding an external hard drive to my DVR for more storage through the eSata port. I found that it is a Motorola DCX3400 and it is not on the list of compatible devices on the Comcast site. I've read mixed reviews whether it would work or not. Has anyone in CT tried to get one working on a DCX3400 box?
post #3249 of 3315 Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac2010 View Post

I was looking into adding an external hard drive to my DVR for more storage through the eSata port. I found that it is a Motorola DCX3400 and it is not on the list of compatible devices on the Comcast site. I've read mixed reviews whether it would work or not. Has anyone in CT tried to get one working on a DCX3400 box?

My guess is anyone who knows what eSATA is has long since stopped using their junk boxes and switched to TiVo. Xfinity and TiVo work really well together. My XL4 has been a champ through the Soci and now March Madness.
post #3250 of 3315 Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

I definitely looked into the external hard drive, but I never pulled the trigger. Now I'm going to switch to X1 and hope that takes care of me.
post #3251 of 3315 Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

I definitely looked into the external hard drive, but I never pulled the trigger. Now I'm going to switch to X1 and hope that takes care of me.

Even that thing is only 500GB vs. 3TB for TiVo Roamio Pro. The extra space is really useful for stuff like Olympics where there are hundreds of hours to broadcast and skim through/ watch bits and pieces of. Even DirecTV is at 1TB now (roughly equivalent to 2TB on Comcast). FIOS is the worst, as it looks like they are still at 500GB, and that's equivalent to roughly 350GB on Comcast.

Why are people still using Comcast's overpriced and underperforming STBs?
post #3252 of 3315 Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

BiggAW - I couldn't agree more. Switched over to Win 7 MCE using Silicone Dust Prime (3 tuner Cable card) over two years ago. Gave myself a month overlap to get everything fine-tuned and setup to my liking.

I can't honestly say that I haven't thought about what drive space I have left but that's just a left over reaction of years with the Comcast STB checking space. I can honestly say that I haven't actually been in trouble of space issues though. Still have over 30 segments of the Olympics to skim/delete but not pressure as space isn't an issue.
post #3253 of 3315 Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Even that thing is only 500GB vs. 3TB for TiVo Roamio Pro. The extra space is really useful for stuff like Olympics where there are hundreds of hours to broadcast and skim through/ watch bits and pieces of. Even DirecTV is at 1TB now (roughly equivalent to 2TB on Comcast). FIOS is the worst, as it looks like they are still at 500GB, and that's equivalent to roughly 350GB on Comcast.

Why are people still using Comcast's overpriced and underperforming STBs?
Yes, it is only a boost to 500GB for now. Soon there will be recording via the cloud, or at least that is the claim.

As far as finances, it isn't that simple. I have a Triple Play package that includes a DVR. So paying $600 to get the Roamio Pro and a $15 a month service fee is not cheaper in any way. I realize you can buy a lifetime contract, but I've had to replace several DVRs (across different cable companies) in the 10 years that I have used them. You are also talking about the current model. If I invested in TIVO a few years ago, I wouldn't have that much hard drive space or 6 tuners. I do not question in any way that TiVo boxes are better than the regular Xfinity boxes, but I'm not sure that they are cheaper.
post #3254 of 3315 Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

BiggAW - I couldn't agree more. Switched over to Win 7 MCE using Silicone Dust Prime (3 tuner Cable card) over two years ago. Gave myself a month overlap to get everything fine-tuned and setup to my liking.

I can't honestly say that I haven't thought about what drive space I have left but that's just a left over reaction of years with the Comcast STB checking space. I can honestly say that I haven't actually been in trouble of space issues though. Still have over 30 segments of the Olympics to skim/delete but not pressure as space isn't an issue.

I built an MCE machine, that was a disaster, so I bought a TiVo Premiere XL4. I love the thing! 2TB of storage, plus I could offload to my HTPC if need be.
Quote:

Yes, it is only a boost to 500GB for now. Soon there will be recording via the cloud, or at least that is the claim.

As far as finances, it isn't that simple. I have a Triple Play package that includes a DVR. So paying $600 to get the Roamio Pro and a $15 a month service fee is not cheaper in any way. I realize you can buy a lifetime contract, but I've had to replace several DVRs (across different cable companies) in the 10 years that I have used them. You are also talking about the current model. If I invested in TIVO a few years ago, I wouldn't have that much hard drive space or 6 tuners. I do not question in any way that TiVo boxes are better than the regular Xfinity boxes, but I'm not sure that they are cheaper.

The TiVo Monthly plans are for people who can't do math. Lifetime is a WAY better deal, and drives the cost way down over the course of 5 or 6 years, or gives the box good resale value if you upgrade to a newer TiVo or switch to DirecTV.

The Lifetime service is tied to the main board. Main boards VERY rarely fail. The hard drives fail fairly often, that's an easy fix, and once in a while a power supply will go south, which is an easy fix as well.

Before the 4-tuner/mini combination, TiVo was inordinately expensive to scale beyond 2 or 3 rooms, but at the time the cable company didn't offer multi-room DVRs, so it was that or cobble together an MCE system with XBOXes as extenders.
post #3255 of 3315 Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

I got X1 installed today. It is definitely a different setup. I didn't have too much time to play with it, but I like it so far. The installer stated that the cloud DVR is likely to come out in the third quarter. I recommend the box for all parents and significant others that do not use the HD channel because it can automatically change it for you.
post #3256 of 3315 Old 03-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got X1 installed today. It is definitely a different setup. I didn't have too much time to play with it, but I like it so far. The installer stated that the cloud DVR is likely to come out in the third quarter. I recommend the box for all parents and significant others that do not use the HD channel because it can automatically change it for you.

Or get a TiVo and delete the SD channels out of the guide. You can still manually tune, them, but out of sight out of mind...
post #3257 of 3315 Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM

"Why are people still using Comcast's overpriced and underperforming STBs?"

I haven't paid for Comcast DVR service for 3 years and will probably not pay again this year. Normally just takes a phone call. We tried to get Double Play and the X1 service but they still insist on offering it to Triple Play only customers. I've heard about Tivo boxes but never seriously looked into them since free beats paying anything - monthly or lifetime. But the DCX3400 is getting long in the tooth for technology so maybe it is about time to get Tivo. Still may try an external hard drive though.
post #3258 of 3315 Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac2010 View Post

"Why are people still using Comcast's overpriced and underperforming STBs?"

I haven't paid for Comcast DVR service for 3 years and will probably not pay again this year. Normally just takes a phone call. We tried to get Double Play and the X1 service but they still insist on offering it to Triple Play only customers. I've heard about Tivo boxes but never seriously looked into them since free beats paying anything - monthly or lifetime. But the DCX3400 is getting long in the tooth for technology so maybe it is about time to get Tivo. Still may try an external hard drive though.

Interesting. Hadn't heard of people getting them for free. I guess it's tough to compete with free, even if the competition is technically way better!
post #3259 of 3315 Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how Comcast is getting the locals? Since basketball has been on CBS for some of March Madness, I've been watching WFSB-DT, and it looks HORRIBLE. Are they just taking the bitrate-starved OTA feed that's lost ~6mbps to subchannels and re-modulating it, or do they get a direct feed? I feel like they would do a way better job compressing it even on a tri-muxed channel than WFSB is doing, if in fact that's what's going on.
post #3260 of 3315 Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Does anyone know how Comcast is getting the locals? Since basketball has been on CBS for some of March Madness, I've been watching WFSB-DT, and it looks HORRIBLE. Are they just taking the bitrate-starved OTA feed that's lost ~6mbps to subchannels and re-modulating it, or do they get a direct feed? I feel like they would do a way better job compressing it even on a tri-muxed channel than WFSB is doing, if in fact that's what's going on.

I was thinking that exact same thing. I put up an antenna over my garage for emergencies when cable fails and I did some A/B comparisons to our local Clinton Comcast. With any antenna channel I can walk up to a foot from the set and see straight lines, perfectly formed human faces. I saw that also in a Tampa, FL Hampton Inn (same size set). Really nice and sharp. The Comcast picture starts to just mush out at 3-4 feet. Faces all distorted, lines jagged and even what we used to call "ghosting" (in the analog days) on the titles. It is just disgusting and if it is what a broadcaster would call an HD standard, they need to re-write it. How can we get what we are paying for, i.e. about double that of Europe.
post #3261 of 3315 Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post

I was thinking that exact same thing. I put up an antenna over my garage for emergencies when cable fails and I did some A/B comparisons to our local Clinton Comcast. With any antenna channel I can walk up to a foot from the set and see straight lines, perfectly formed human faces. I saw that also in a Tampa, FL Hampton Inn (same size set). Really nice and sharp. The Comcast picture starts to just mush out at 3-4 feet. Faces all distorted, lines jagged and even what we used to call "ghosting" (in the analog days) on the titles. It is just disgusting and if it is what a broadcaster would call an HD standard, they need to re-write it. How can we get what we are paying for, i.e. about double that of Europe.

Yeah, the ghosting is a type of MPEG-2 artifact. So are you getting a better picture using WFSB-DT OTA than you are on cable? The only explanation that I can think of is that Comcast's local re-compression sucks compared to their national re-compression, but it seems like WFSB screwing it up is a more plausible explanation... unless WFSB-DT looks better OTA. Do you have a tuner card for your computer or a TiVo capable of both OTA and cable to compare the file sizes for the same hour on OTA and cable?
post #3262 of 3315 Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, the ghosting is a type of MPEG-2 artifact. So are you getting a better picture using WFSB-DT OTA than you are on cable? The only explanation that I can think of is that Comcast's local re-compression sucks compared to their national re-compression, but it seems like WFSB screwing it up is a more plausible explanation... unless WFSB-DT looks better OTA. Do you have a tuner card for your computer or a TiVo capable of both OTA and cable to compare the file sizes for the same hour on OTA and cable?

I can't get FSB here on the shore with my antenna, but I just looked at VIT, NHL Hockey. Symptomatic of the issue is that the NBC Peacock's fan is smooth and crisp on antenna, but shows artifacts and fuzzieness on cable, motion artifacts also on the cable. I cannot tell if this is an HD broacast as they no longer seem to show the HD symbol anymore for some reason, maybe since they are also embarrassed it is not much better than plain digital.I get the cable via a Ceton Infinitv 4 card into one of Assassin's HTPC builds, so cannot do an A/B within that. Having said all of that, I will say the over the air is not so super either so it is either not HD or even the networks/locals are compressing. It is sad to see better picture in hotel rooms. I much appreciate the time you took to weigh in.
post #3263 of 3315 Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't get FSB here on the shore with my antenna, but I just looked at VIT, NHL Hockey. Symptomatic of the issue is that the NBC Peacock's fan is smooth and crisp on antenna, but shows artifacts and fuzzieness on cable, motion artifacts also on the cable. I cannot tell if this is an HD broacast as they no longer seem to show the HD symbol anymore for some reason, maybe since they are also embarrassed it is not much better than plain digital.I get the cable via a Ceton Infinitv 4 card into one of Assassin's HTPC builds, so cannot do an A/B within that. Having said all of that, I will say the over the air is not so super either so it is either not HD or even the networks/locals are compressing. It is sad to see better picture in hotel rooms. I much appreciate the time you took to weigh in.

Too bad you can't do a direct comparison of CBS. Your comparison of NBC seems to suggest that Comcast is re-compressing, so that means that their local re-compression sucks compared to their national re-compression.

On the other end of the spectrum, I was watching the Final Four last night, and ESPN was AMAZING. Based on the Notre Dame/ Maryland game, I calculated a bitrate of over 16mbps vs 12 to 13 typical. I don't know if Comcast biased it's encoders because a large event was on that channel, or if they have been moving stuff around, or if one of the other channels sharing that QAM was running something that was almost entirely static, but it was GREAT. Clearest HD I've seen other than ESPNU HD, which is incredible, and unfortunately I don't get here in Groton (Branford has it). ESPNU HD is only available on 750/860mhz systems, so I think the mainstream stuff that has to fit on the 650mhz systems like mine is tri-muxed, and then some of the stuff that is only on the higher frequency systems is being basically bi-muxed the way HD was designed (maybe with an SD or two sharing the QAM as well).
post #3264 of 3315 Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Too bad you can't do a direct comparison of CBS. Your comparison of NBC seems to suggest that Comcast is re-compressing, so that means that their local re-compression sucks compared to their national re-compression.

On the other end of the spectrum, I was watching the Final Four last night, and ESPN was AMAZING. Based on the Notre Dame/ Maryland game, I calculated a bitrate of over 16mbps vs 12 to 13 typical. I don't know if Comcast biased it's encoders because a large event was on that channel, or if they have been moving stuff around, or if one of the other channels sharing that QAM was running something that was almost entirely static, but it was GREAT. Clearest HD I've seen other than ESPNU HD, which is incredible, and unfortunately I don't get here in Groton (Branford has it). ESPNU HD is only available on 750/860mhz systems, so I think the mainstream stuff that has to fit on the 650mhz systems like mine is tri-muxed, and then some of the stuff that is only on the higher frequency systems is being basically bi-muxed the way HD was designed (maybe with an SD or two sharing the QAM as well).

I watched the Finals BB Game last night on CBS and it was just awful. OK, from a distance of 12 feet you do not see the mess, but at 3 feet motion smear/artifacts and even some pixels could be seen from time to time. I wonder if Clinton is a 650 system. I went down to their offices last Saturday and looked at the 40-42" set there, tuning it to CPTV and others and it looked just like mine, just awful.
post #3265 of 3315 Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched the Finals BB Game last night on CBS and it was just awful. OK, from a distance of 12 feet you do not see the mess, but at 3 feet motion smear/artifacts and even some pixels could be seen from time to time. I wonder if Clinton is a 650 system. I went down to their offices last Saturday and looked at the 40-42" set there, tuning it to CPTV and others and it looked just like mine, just awful.

Yeah, it was classic bandwidth-starved MPEG-2. Gorgeous resolution and detail when on a graphic or completely stationary, and then it just breaks up into a complete mess when anything moves (nothing ever moves in basketball, right? smile.gif). There was one point where the compression completely broke down and glitched out, I think it was the confetti at the end. I also wonder why Gatorade does those splash commercials, as they just get totally broken up with MPEG-2 compression.

I *think* Clinton got upgraded. Do you have about 70 HD's or 110HD's? Branford is 860mhz and has about 110, Groton is 650 and has about 70. Groton is missing ESPNU HD and Al Jazeera English, among a few others. However, that doesn't affect the compression, just the number of channels that are on the system, since the stream is compressed for the state (local channels) or nation (cable channels) all at once.
post #3266 of 3315 Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, it was classic bandwidth-starved MPEG-2. Gorgeous resolution and detail when on a graphic or completely stationary, and then it just breaks up into a complete mess when anything moves (nothing ever moves in basketball, right? smile.gif). There was one point where the compression completely broke down and glitched out, I think it was the confetti at the end. I also wonder why Gatorade does those splash commercials, as they just get totally broken up with MPEG-2 compression.

I *think* Clinton got upgraded. Do you have about 70 HD's or 110HD's? Branford is 860mhz and has about 110, Groton is 650 and has about 70. Groton is missing ESPNU HD and Al Jazeera English, among a few others. However, that doesn't affect the compression, just the number of channels that are on the system, since the stream is compressed for the state (local channels) or nation (cable channels) all at once.

I will count the HD's but I doubt we have 110 very much. Last night on ESPN the women's BB final was a step better than the night before I reported about, but again at 3' out it starts to mush, but at least no pixel breakup and motion artifacts were better. Still, by no means a big league picture. Where can I go, if anywhere, to ask what is going on and what they are doing to make it better? (Back tomorrow on the channel count and believe me "gorgeous resolution and detail..." has never happened at my house.)
post #3267 of 3315 Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will count the HD's but I doubt we have 110 very much. Last night on ESPN the women's BB final was a step better than the night before I reported about, but again at 3' out it starts to mush, but at least no pixel breakup and motion artifacts were better. Still, by no means a big league picture. Where can I go, if anywhere, to ask what is going on and what they are doing to make it better? (Back tomorrow on the channel count and believe me "gorgeous resolution and detail..." has never happened at my house.)

ESPN, as a national channel, looks very good. 720p is also a bit more resilient when heavily compressed, and they are giving it more bandwidth (I think ESPN forces them to) than many other channels. Sunday's games were averaging over 16mbps! The Men's Final Four were around 12-14mbps, and that was 1080i, although they looked very good to me. Sunday's looked spectacular to me, yesterday's was pretty good, but not quite as good as Sunday's. CBS on Monday was definitely the worst of all of them!!!

Admittedly I have a video processor that does help a bit, but it's not magic... it needs a good feed to start with.
post #3268 of 3315 Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Get Directv. Cable HD picture is no comparison, for the most part.
post #3269 of 3315 Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Get Directv. Cable HD picture is no comparison, for the most part.

I would, but I like my TiVos. Based on job prospects, I will probably be moving to a FIOS area within the next few years, so I will make sure that wherever I live has access to FIOS. At this point, Comcast internet is fine as long as they don't cap it, but I really want FIOS TV.
post #3270 of 3315 Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It does not look like any more than 70-79 HD's including ch 10 and 20 which are showing up as HD, though I doubt they are. How do you read your bit rates as I would like to look at that?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page