Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
A hit? Box or CableCard refresh?

U-Verse is very hit or miss. There are some VRADs out in the middle of freaking nowhere in Guilford and Madison, and other, more populated areas that don't have them. There are a number of crossboxes that don't have VRADs that would be very logical spots for them, and other locations that would be great for them, but again don't have them. It looks like some managed got trashed one night and threw darts at a map to determine where the VRADs went.

Although I hate U-Verse and hate Frontier, I hope Frontier finishes the U-Verse buildout, and gets U-Verse to 80%+ of CT residences, just to turn the heat up even more on the cable companies.

Apparently only 1 channel (Encore) I was not getting. i tried an auto refresh by calling in but that did nothing. I got a so called service person on the phone whose cable card and English language skills ran a dead heat at just about zero. He talked about my box when I have none (CC tuner) and about how a refresh could damage equipment and such drivel. He even asked what service I had so he could not even read his screen of my set up. He then put me on hold to get to the tech people, came on after 10 minutes and said they were not answering, would I try them myself in the AM (this was 11:30 last night). I did so today and they claim they sent a card refresh which takes 45 minutes or so. I will have a look tonight when I get home, but it was a lousy experience. The Europeans are paying about half of what we do because cable is regulated like a utility (which it is). Here it is neither competitive nor regulated for most of us and were pay big $ for crappy product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3339 Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Apparently only 1 channel (Encore) I was not getting. i tried an auto refresh by calling in but that did nothing. I got a so called service person on the phone whose cable card and English language skills ran a dead heat at just about zero. He talked about my box when I have none (CC tuner) and about how a refresh could damage equipment and such drivel. He even asked what service I had so he could not even read his screen of my set up. He then put me on hold to get to the tech people, came on after 10 minutes and said they were not answering, would I try them myself in the AM (this was 11:30 last night). I did so today and they claim they sent a card refresh which takes 45 minutes or so. I will have a look tonight when I get home, but it was a lousy experience. The Europeans are paying about half of what we do because cable is regulated like a utility (which it is). Here it is neither competitive nor regulated for most of us and were pay big $ for crappy product.
Did you call the CableCard line? That always works for me when I have a CableCard issue... Our cable is so expensive because of the programming contracts. That's why everything, including satellite is expensive.
post #3333 of 3339 Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you call the CableCard line? That always works for me when I have a CableCard issue... Our cable is so expensive because of the programming contracts. That's why everything, including satellite is expensive.
Yes, the CC line. Both times ineffectual, including the refresh attempt of yesterday am did nothing. This happened once before. The mapping at the head end is probably screwed up. Today I will be calling the tech line number, provided by the CC line number person who failed with the refresh. These are clearly encrypted premium channels (Starz and Encore are both not working, maybe 1-2 others.)
post #3334 of 3339 Old 10-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, the CC line. Both times ineffectual, including the refresh attempt of yesterday am did nothing. This happened once before. The mapping at the head end is probably screwed up. Today I will be calling the tech line number, provided by the CC line number person who failed with the refresh. These are clearly encrypted premium channels (Starz and Encore are both not working, maybe 1-2 others.)
And now the tech person (so called, but not sounding very techy) is sending a HARD hit to me, so we will see about that. If that fails they want to send someone out so I will have to skip some work for that probably. He will then see they are screwed up at the head end most likely. The cable industry brought the card concept down on us and still a decade later cannot manage it right.
post #3335 of 3339 Old 10-08-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And now the tech person (so called, but not sounding very techy) is sending a HARD hit to me, so we will see about that. If that fails they want to send someone out so I will have to skip some work for that probably. He will then see they are screwed up at the head end most likely. The cable industry brought the card concept down on us and still a decade later cannot manage it right.
Interesting. Weird that they have a headend issue that's messing with the consumer cable cards, but no their own. I can't help in terms of comparing to my experience, as I have "only" XF Preferred, HBO, and sometimes sports (for my roommates who watch RedZone during eggball season).
post #3336 of 3339 Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting. Weird that they have a headend issue that's messing with the consumer cable cards, but no their own. I can't help in terms of comparing to my experience, as I have "only" XF Preferred, HBO, and sometimes sports (for my roommates who watch RedZone during eggball season).
Well, my fourth phone call shed some light on the matter. In August I reported to Comcast that my cable card device had been removed from service and replaced with a new one, hence a new host ID number which I reported. I was assured in a day or so they would make the change. Last night I find they did not do so!!!!! So today I called the area office in MA and a lady is going to work on the matter. Incorrect host ID results in no card validation and no reception of premium channels. We will see if this 5th phone call fixes. VERY disappointing is that each person on these calls asked fro my host ID, had to see that it did not match what was on the account and then proceeded to send out varying kinds of hits. These people must have been trained to believe you can run through a brick wall is you just get a good running start!
post #3337 of 3339 Old 10-09-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare!
post #3338 of 3339 Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, that sounds like a nightmare!
Sure has not been fun but last night it got fixed. The regional office of Comcast out of Plymouth, MA really jumped in and made an excellent impression. First, they corrected the pairing issue and when I got home I saw no more error message, but still was not getting my premiums. A very involved second level fellow jumped in and worked with the head end to understand why. At 8:30 it was determined I needed a truck roll to see why no IP address was loading. At 9:30 I read my mail from Ceton (Cable Tuner Maker) responding to the diagnostic file I had sent them. Turns out that since I had to reload The Windows7 OS last month, the entire digital cable setup had not been fully enabled so had to re-run the Digital Cable Advisor in the Windows Media Center. That did the trick. What is wierd is that I was getting all channels except 2 premiums just fine, which tricks one into thinking the issue cannot be in your own equipment. Anyway Comcast offered a nice credit for the fact they did not do the pairing 6 weeks ago and I just canceled the truck roll so there is now peace in the valley again. Now if we can just get ourselves up to 750-850 land for some more HD.
post #3339 of 3339 Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure has not been fun but last night it got fixed. The regional office of Comcast out of Plymouth, MA really jumped in and made an excellent impression. First, they corrected the pairing issue and when I got home I saw no more error message, but still was not getting my premiums. A very involved second level fellow jumped in and worked with the head end to understand why. At 8:30 it was determined I needed a truck roll to see why no IP address was loading. At 9:30 I read my mail from Ceton (Cable Tuner Maker) responding to the diagnostic file I had sent them. Turns out that since I had to reload The Windows7 OS last month, the entire digital cable setup had not been fully enabled so had to re-run the Digital Cable Advisor in the Windows Media Center. That did the trick. What is wierd is that I was getting all channels except 2 premiums just fine, which tricks one into thinking the issue cannot be in your own equipment. Anyway Comcast offered a nice credit for the fact they did not do the pairing 6 weeks ago and I just canceled the truck roll so there is now peace in the valley again. Now if we can just get ourselves up to 750-850 land for some more HD.
That's good. Yeah, they really need to finish the 860mhz rebuilds, and do H.264, and then they would be in great shape. I had a tech come out one time to look at an internet problem, and his comments were that "it's all electronics", which doesn't bear well for more plant rebuilds. I'm surprised that they aren't in more of a hurry with the U-Verse buildout, maybe Frontier will pick up the pace and force Comcast to be a little bit more proactive with upgrades.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page