Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Never heard of Comcast terminating and restarting a 2 year contract for a service call. They've been out to my house at least 6 times in the last year before finally replacing the cable from their distribution box to my house. I think you got a bad CSR.

S~
A shock to me also. No FIOS here either. Yes, in hindsight ......ha ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 613
They didn't even terminate/restart my contract when I changed out my old Magnavox box for the X1 box after the first year.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 439
How are you still in a contact after 25 years?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
They didn't even terminate/restart my contract when I changed out my old Magnavox box for the X1 box after the first year.
Maybe because you did the work? The apparent fatal flaw was when I asked them to come to me.....or so they implied. I am getting some sort of "promotion rate" (a measly $187/mo!!!!) and I guess they think they don't have to come for a modem/router failure....
Old 10-09-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
How are you still in a contact after 25 years?
I am not. I have been their customer at this location for 25 years, back to the local company they bought out in the 90's. Over that time, of course I have had several different plans, triple play for about 3 years with 2 different contracts on that.

Last edited by sgbroimp; 10-09-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Nope. The X1 box at the time had to be installed by them. They wouldn't do self-installs.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 865
I was a Comcast subscriber for ~25 years and same as you, changed hands over the years (Audubon cable, Garden State, NYT, Comcast). When they went (in my area) to all digital, I asked for ONE HD cable box for free. They said "no". I said "buh-bye". Fortunately FiOS was available in my area.

FWIW... when I was with Comcast, I had internet connectivity problems every day. Exchanged modems a few times to no avail. Anyway... since FiOS (~ 5 years), I've had no problems at all.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I was a Comcast subscriber for ~25 years and same as you, changed hands over the years (Audubon cable, Garden State, NYT, Comcast). When they went (in my area) to all digital, I asked for ONE HD cable box for free. They said "no". I said "buh-bye". Fortunately FiOS was available in my area.

FWIW... when I was with Comcast, I had internet connectivity problems every day. Exchanged modems a few times to no avail. Anyway... since FiOS (~ 5 years), I've had no problems at all.
I'm jealous! I mean I give them all 3 modes (PH/TV/I) and they expect me to disconnect my phone service (modem swap out) while I go down to their shop, wait in line, get the new equipment, drive back and set it up, hopefully right). Do they know we will not have a medical emergency and need a phone during that time? This is really bizarre when you think about it. Like how the Moscow system probably works.
AntAltMike likes this.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No cell phone?
Oh well... whatever works best for you. Is everything working well for you now? That's the main thing.
As for the $16... call back try to fight that additional fee. Hopefully you have the supervisor's name and a "trouble ticket #" for reference.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the service tech came, was excellent, took away 2 boxes and replaced with an all in one modem/wireless router. Its the phone people that are killing their customer relationships, not the techs.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Well the service tech came, was excellent, took away 2 boxes and replaced with an all in one modem/wireless router. Its the phone people that are killing their customer relationships, not the techs.
Still paying an additional $16 per month?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Still paying an additional $16 per month?
Hard to tell. I got another statement with an equipment charge removed, but it is partial month prorated, so I think I am going to have to wait and see. The tech told me I absolutely should not be charged more or differently just because of a truck roll vs. ripping old stuff out and trying to self install. Whatever happens, it is clear some phone people are trying to use a service outage as an opportunity to terminate an existing contract and get some new fees, revenue etc. That is just plain fraud in my book.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Moved to the CT Comcast section.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I got my next bill and all looks normal again. As is my blood pressure. Will see what happens when contract renewal time comes. Not much bargaining power with no good alternatives....
Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting static on WFSB this past week. It is mainly coming from the surround speakers. Am I the only one?
Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post
I'm getting static on WFSB this past week. It is mainly coming from the surround speakers. Am I the only one?
No you are not! Heard it about 2-3 seconds at a time this afternoon on the NFL game (Jets). Had headphones on so cannot tell if on surrounds or not, but later heard it on 60 minutes and yes, I think the surrounds. Annoying and suggests WFSB has no sound man on duty. What it sounds like actually is the video noise broadcasters used to get when they showed titles and supers.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
No you are not! Heard it about 2-3 seconds at a time this afternoon on the NFL game (Jets). Had headphones on so cannot tell if on surrounds or not, but later heard it on 60 minutes and yes, I think the surrounds. Annoying and suggests WFSB has no sound man on duty. What it sounds like actually is the video noise broadcasters used to get when they showed titles and supers.
I don't think having a sound man on duty is the problem. It was there all of last week, and it is still happening tonight. Does anyone have connections to get them to look at it. I can't believe it would go on for so long without them fixing it.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Anybody know if they are rebuilding Middletown to an 860mhz plant? Or maybe going to MPEG-4? Their website shows some channels like H2 HD, ESPNU HD, and AJAM as available in Middletown that TV Guide does not, and are 750/860 channels only, not 650 channels. Or is their website just messed up and showing channels that don't actually exist?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm a Cox customer , but I wonder how you Comcast folks feel about the YES Comcast dispute.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post
I'm a Cox customer , but I wonder how you Comcast folks feel about the YES Comcast dispute.
I think YES is crazy with what they want.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think it's total B.S.! Granted, I won't receive YES with limited basic, but the channel should remain for those who want it. Probably a bunch of Red Sox and Mets fans at the Berlin headend. I'm kidding with that last line, of course! Presently, ads run during radio games on WFAN-AM 660 New York City (and WUCS-FM 97.9 Windsor Locks/Hartford), with the ads replacing "Frontier" in Connecticut with "Verizon FIOS" in New York and New Jersey.

I wonder if Comcast ever had these types of issues with NESN and the Red Sox or SNY and the Mets?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not a Comcast issue. Comcast is notorious for rubber stamping carriage cost increases. YES was so far out of line that they managed to suck Comcast into a standoff with them. I wonder what happens when CableVision and TWC's contracts come up for renewal? Those are *much* larger, so they should have more leverage over YES than Comcast, who is relatively small in NY/NJ/CT overall.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
It's not a Comcast issue. Comcast is notorious for rubber stamping carriage cost increases. YES was so far out of line that they managed to suck Comcast into a standoff with them. I wonder what happens when CableVision and TWC's contracts come up for renewal? Those are *much* larger, so they should have more leverage over YES than Comcast, who is relatively small in NY/NJ/CT overall.
I assume Cox pays pretty much the same. Before this I had no idea these channels received that kind of money. I wish I could find a breakdown of my Cox bill of cost per channel. It would be very interesting.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assume Cox pays pretty much the same. Before this I had no idea these channels received that kind of money. I wish I could find a breakdown of my Cox bill of cost per channel. It would be very interesting.
My sense here is that Comcast's was the first contract to run out under the new price hikes, so this is just the beginning of the pricing issues that they're going to have. Metrocast (now Atlantic BB) dropped them a while back, but they're small, and far enough east that no one really noticed except pissed off Yankees fans in New London. Also, DISH has been in a carriage feud for 10 or 15 years with YES, and they haven't resolved it yet, because Charlie Ergen just isn't willing to give into the absurd rip-off that Steinbrenner's ghost wants. ESPN is up to about $6/sub/mo nationwide!!!
Old Today, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got the MPEG-4 letter for Groton, CT. 11/10 cutover date, IIRC. I'm hoping for more HDs, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement