Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3391 of 3403 Old 11-19-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I have a debugging screen on my WMC and I just had a look. Two channels that come in fine are both MPEG-2. I have to analyse one channel at a time so did not look at more that come in ok. The I went to to HBO-HD, where I get sound only. For video codec, it shows "non specified" which is strange as I would have expected MPEG-2 or MPEG-4. I can pull in the SD version of HBO so I guess my EMM's are set up and working ok (I lost them a year ago, which killed all my premiums, when Comcast was doing work). You might be interested to know that when I go to set up my TV signal, the "handle" for Clinton has changed. Two years ago it said "Clinton-Killingworth Digital", then a year ago it said "Clinton Digital- non rebuild" and now it simply shows "Clinton Digital. I will say the PQ is better than a year ago where I got venetian blind effect on NFL Football Games in many shots with vertical motion in them.
That's bad. I think that means they never intend to rebuild the 650mhz and 625mhz systems. That aligns with what a tech said a few years ago, in that "it will all be electronics". Maybe those systems will switch to IPTV sooner. We can hope, right? I'm kind of getting fed up with the poor picture quality, which is an issue on all systems, and combined with what I can stream online, I'm not sure I'll actually get cable next time I move. We'll see. I'll give streaming a try with a couple of basketball games coming up on ESPNU, which we don't have in HD here in Groton, so I'll have to stream them through WatchESPN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3403 Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked, and we do have one QAM full of H.264 channels in Groton. Based on a post on DSLR, I confirmed that the following channels are 720p H.264:

HBO E
TCM E
UP
ID
Cinemax
H2
Nat Geo WILD
Palladia
Sprout
post #3393 of 3403 Old 11-20-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's bad. I think that means they never intend to rebuild the 650mhz and 625mhz systems. That aligns with what a tech said a few years ago, in that "it will all be electronics". Maybe those systems will switch to IPTV sooner. We can hope, right? I'm kind of getting fed up with the poor picture quality, which is an issue on all systems, and combined with what I can stream online, I'm not sure I'll actually get cable next time I move. We'll see. I'll give streaming a try with a couple of basketball games coming up on ESPNU, which we don't have in HD here in Groton, so I'll have to stream them through WatchESPN.
I have the Giants game on now (FOX) and it really is not good, barely above SD. Even this season I have seen better but you are right, we are apparently never going to have it be decent from this Wal-Mart of Communications companies.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #3394 of 3403 Old 11-20-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I checked, and we do have one QAM full of H.264 channels in Groton. Based on a post on DSLR, I confirmed that the following channels are 720p H.264:

HBO E
TCM E
UP
ID
Cinemax
H2
Nat Geo WILD
Palladia
Sprout
How about Showtime HD, HBO HD? MPEG 2 and copy once?

I am pretty sure the MPEG-4 is fine for me unless copy once, for that I will need a video card.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #3395 of 3403 Old 11-20-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How about Showtime HD, HBO HD? MPEG 2 and copy once?

I am pretty sure the MPEG-4 is fine for me unless copy once, for that I will need a video card.
I don't have HBO on my account anymore, I'm using HBO Go, but I believe HBO-E is HBO HD East. Those channel abbreviations/listing are all jacked up, they list Palladia and H2, which have since become MTV Live and VICELAND, respectively. I don't think they converted Showtime over, I've only ever watched it twice ever (included in my package, I don't actually want it).
post #3396 of 3403 Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't have HBO on my account anymore, I'm using HBO Go, but I believe HBO-E is HBO HD East. Those channel abbreviations/listing are all jacked up, they list Palladia and H2, which have since become MTV Live and VICELAND, respectively. I don't think they converted Showtime over, I've only ever watched it twice ever (included in my package, I don't actually want it).
Well this just gets weirder here in Clinton. Video codec info from the debug data: FOX-HD is shown as MPEG-2 (makes sense), ESPN-HD as h.264 which is MPEG-4 and HBO-HD (yes East it is) is shown as "unspecified". Go figure.....

post #3397 of 3403 Old 11-21-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well this just gets weirder here in Clinton. Video codec info from the debug data: FOX-HD is shown as MPEG-2 (makes sense), ESPN-HD as h.264 which is MPEG-4 and HBO-HD (yes East it is) is shown as "unspecified". Go figure.....
They must have flipped more channels over, as ESPN was MPEG-2 as of yesterday I believe. I could be wrong though.
post #3398 of 3403 Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They must have flipped more channels over, as ESPN was MPEG-2 as of yesterday I believe. I could be wrong though.
....and our mileage in Clinton may vary vs. Groton!

post #3399 of 3403 Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
....and our mileage in Clinton may vary vs. Groton!
Could very well be. I posted over on DSLR, I don't think they have switched anything on Branford, but I could be wrong. They have a lot more bandwidth in the first place.
post #3400 of 3403 Old 11-26-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Could very well be. I posted over on DSLR, I don't think they have switched anything on Branford, but I could be wrong. They have a lot more bandwidth in the first place.
Yes, they do....and they pay no more than we "non-rebuilds" do. Should not be permitted as it is really a different quality level.

post #3401 of 3403 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, they do....and they pay no more than we "non-rebuilds" do. Should not be permitted as it is really a different quality level.
Yeah, they should have rebuilt the whole state. I don't know why they rebuilt Hartford, New Haven, Danbury, and a few other systems, and then gave up on Clinton, Groton, and Middletown. Now the internet is different too, as the non-rebuilds are maxed out at 150mbps, while they are doing 200mbps on the rebuild systems, and in theory, they could do 300mbps or more with the current configuration of DOCSIS channels on the rebuild systems if they wanted to push more 24 channel modems out there. The 8 channel modems are a little beyond maxed out on 200mbps.
post #3402 of 3403 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I recently switched to Xfinity TV. I have the X1 service, and in my main room they installed an XiD-P box. I was told to always leave the box on so it receives firmware updates at night and I don't turn it on to watch TV and have to wait for a lengthy firmware update. That part makes sense to me. However, after I turn everything else off from watching TV (TV and AVR) via my harmony remote, the Xfinity box seems to go into a sleep mode. Then when I go to turn everything back on using my Watch TV activity on my Harmony remote, I get no picture or sound, as if the Xfinity box is still asleep. If I switch input modes on my AVR and then switch back to the input I'm using for the box, everything works fine. Is there a way to wake up the box without adding in that step? It's a pain because the activity on the Harmony remote doesn't understand why you would want to start up by selecting one input and then switching to another input. I'm trying to make this work so my wife doesn't get confused trying to watch TV. Does anyone have any fix to this situation?
I appreciate your input.

post #3403 of 3403 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
I recently switched to Xfinity TV. I have the X1 service, and in my main room they installed an XiD-P box. I was told to always leave the box on so it receives firmware updates at night and I don't turn it on to watch TV and have to wait for a lengthy firmware update. That part makes sense to me. However, after I turn everything else off from watching TV (TV and AVR) via my harmony remote, the Xfinity box seems to go into a sleep mode. Then when I go to turn everything back on using my Watch TV activity on my Harmony remote, I get no picture or sound, as if the Xfinity box is still asleep. If I switch input modes on my AVR and then switch back to the input I'm using for the box, everything works fine. Is there a way to wake up the box without adding in that step? It's a pain because the activity on the Harmony remote doesn't understand why you would want to start up by selecting one input and then switching to another input. I'm trying to make this work so my wife doesn't get confused trying to watch TV. Does anyone have any fix to this situation?
I appreciate your input.
I had a similar issue but with handshaking from my Preamp/processor and the Monitor. It was not big deal to add the "dummy steps", so you could do that as an interim solution. In my setup, the desktop comes up, the preamp switches to another input, then back and all is fine. Takes maybe an extra 3-4 seconds. Wife was told to be a bit patient and to get used to it. After a few weeks she was on board.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception