Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 3342 Old 11-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone here recording HD from a 6412 to pc via firewire? The 16.20 update, which the Branford system got last week, seems to have broken it. Scanpa posted "ask them to place the seriel number of your STB to the old firmware access list" here but I called the 800 number and they refused. Anyone have any more info?

I posted on the forum here if that's a better place for further discussion.

Got OTA HDTV? Check out my Terrain Mapping thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 3342 Old 11-10-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDougan View Post

Anyone here recording HD from a 6412 to pc via firewire? The 16.20 update, which the Branford system got last week, seems to have broken it. Scanpa posted "ask them to place the seriel number of your STB to the old firmware access list" here but I called the 800 number and they refused. Anyone have any more info?

I posted on the forum here if that's a better place for further discussion.

I thought the FCC required the firewire ports be active? Not sure, but I thought that was the case.

I just picked up a 32" Sony Bravia LCD for my living room for casual viewing. I got a 3416 from my local payment center (gave me an HDMI cable to go with it ) and when trying to watch something on Starz HD VOD or Cinemax HD VOD I get a message "contact your cable operator to subscribe". I do subscribe, but the only way it works is if I go in through the regular "Premium Channels" menu then to the HD menu in Encore, Starz or Cinemax. I get no error on my 6412 though when going in through the HD On Demand menu option. Anyone else have this problem? I don't feel like calling about it now that I know how to successfully watch something in HD On Demand from a Premium Channel. It's just a minor annoyance.
post #603 of 3342 Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 AM

Comcast May Launch HD Sports Channel
The channel would feature hockey and golf.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (November 8, 2006) -- Comcast is considering starting a new High-Definition channel for sports, TVPredictions.com has learned.

The channel would likely feature high-def broadcasts of the National Hockey League from the Versus channel and tournament action from The Golf Channel.

Comcast owns both The Golf Channel and Versus, formerly known as The Outdoor Network

The nation's largest cable operator may launch the HD sports channel by year's end or in early 2007, according to one source close to the situation. The addition would be part of Comcast's overall plan to expand its high-def lineup, with more HD networks coming early next year.

"I think we'll be adding a new HD service from Comcast that will be a compilation of programming from Golf and Versus to start," said the source.

Another source said the HD sports channel is not "definite, but it's likely." Both sources were unsure what the channel would be called.

One reason for the launch: In the past, Comcast (and other cable operators) have broadcast NHL action and other sporting events on INHD 2, However, In Demand, the parent company of INHD and INHD 2, said this week that the two channels will merge in January. So cable operators will need a new channel to broadcast special event high-def sports.
post #604 of 3342 Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Just got the following in the mail...

November 8, 2006

Important information about your Comcast Digital Cable Service

Dear Valued Comcast Customer,

We want to let you know about some important changes in our services that will affect your current cable subscription. you currently subscribe to the Digital Premiere Pack for $6.95 per month. Effective December 12, 2006, this digital cable package is being renamed and will be called the Sports Entertainment Pack. The Sports Entertainment Pack will now include the following channels:

BET on Jazz
Bloomberg
CSTV
Fox Movies (FXM)
Fox Soccer
FCS Atlantic
FCS Central
FCS Pacific
Gol TV
NBA TV
NFL Network
Outdoor Channel
Speed Channel
Turner Classic Movies
TVG

You'll get a lot more programming for the same low price you pay today.

Because this will result in a change in certain services you are now receiving, we want to make sure you are aware of your options:

1) Take no action and on December 12th your package will change as described above.

2) Contact a Customer Account Executive any time, day or night, at 1-800-COMCAST (266-2278) to discuss other available package options.

Remember, unless we hear from you before December 12, 2006, you will continue to receive the renamed Sports Entertainment Pack, including the new channels, for the same low price you pay today.

Thank you for choosing Comcast. We hope you will continue to enjoy the quality programming that we have to offer.

Sincerely,
John R. Waddell
VP of Sales & Marketing
Comcast, Northern Division
post #605 of 3342 Old 11-14-2006, 05:27 PM

Just saw the same message on my bill today as well, so add the Middletown system to the ESPN2HD fold on 12/14. It would have been nicer to have had it back during the World Cup, but the bulk of the college basketball schedule in HD is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJohnson9 View Post

Just looked at MY bill (Groton) and it had a similar message, but stated what exactly was replacing INHD2:

"Get more sports in HD! On 12/14/06, ESPN2 HD is on ch. 203. To
view ESPN2 HD, you will need a subscription to Expanded Basic
and an HD Box. INHD2 will no longer be available on ch.207 after
12/14/06."

I'm sure Beaker will be as happy as I am about that, although I STILL want to see TNT HD and Universal HD...

Ah well.... baby steps....

PMJ

post #606 of 3342 Old 11-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Saw both messages in my bill too.Also in Middletown.Kind of sad though to see INHD2 disappear. Programming was decent,99.9%HD content,and even though I'm a Bosox fan in was nice to see YESHD on there once in a while.Don't get me wrong im happy were getting the "dueceHD",I just hope they've upped the hd content since they came out.That was always the early complaint.But like Qixotl said college BB is here so we will see.
post #607 of 3342 Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

PMJohnson9 - You're right about being happy to get ESPN2HD in time for the College Bowl games. Darn shame Comcast had to wait till a channel provider pulled a channel to be able to "give" us ESPN2HD! Basically Comcast is still doing nothing for our back water low bandwidth areas. Doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling about the future for these areas. But I'll accept this baby-step.

Plus they missed the best (and last) weekend of NHRA racing (of '06) in a long time (I mean having ESPN2HD to see it in HD). But yes I am greatful that all next season will be available in HD.

Anyone hear about the non-high bandwidth regions being upgraded or Comcast CT even giving us a moments thought? (I don't count VOIP)
post #608 of 3342 Old 11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Straight from Comcast:

New Haven, Danbury, Hartford, Vernon, Plainville Systems

Effective December 14, 2006, National Geographic HD will be added to channel 207 in the High-Definition Television tier.
post #609 of 3342 Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Also straight from Comcast:

Groton, Middletown, Clinton, Lakeville, Branford Systems

Effective December 14, 2006, ESPN 2 HD will be added at channel 203 in the High-Definition Television tier.
post #610 of 3342 Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info Paulie...

Are these lame ads in the channel guide back forever? They're pissing me off.
post #611 of 3342 Old 11-15-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplchamp1 View Post

Thanks for the info Paulie...

Are these lame ads in the channel guide back forever? They're pissing me off.

You're welcome.

As far as the ads go, I do not know. I'm lucky, living in an SA area where I believe we are far away from ever having ads in our guides.
post #612 of 3342 Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 AM

I am moving to Durham next month and am thinking about switching from D* to Comcast. Viewing habits are 95% HD locals, currently received with an OTA antenna.

I have 3 DirecTivos in the house, one of which is the HD model (HR10-250). I have read some bad things about the Moto 6412, so I am *very* reluctant to get that box. Plus 15/month seems very high. Maybe ones they get the Tivo interface on it, it will be better, but I guess the rumor is that it will cost another $5.

I just went to the Tivo website, and the Tivo Series 2 DTV is $70/month, then they offer the $299 for 3 years plan if prepaid. Seems like a little bit cheaper option for a better box? I am just looking for some opinions here.

Thanks.
post #613 of 3342 Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

A&E HD has started to pop up on various Comcast systems throughout the country today. I would imagine it's only a matter of time before this is also added here in CT, to the systems that have the bandwidth available.
post #614 of 3342 Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM

My grandmother got the weirdest looking converter added to her Zenith TV this afternoon. The thing is about the same size as my Motorola Surfboard cable modem. It has no actual time or channel display, just the two lights for power (yellow) and messages (red). It only has the standard coaxial cable (75 ohm) input and the red/white/yellow RCA A/V jacks. I think it's made by Motorola. Also, it's responding to the same remote she had for the previous box. I've never seen a converter this small!

Obviously, it's not gonna pass through HDTV. By the way, my grandmother's TV is a Zenith projection TV #R56W36. It's at least a 50" screen and says it can handle HDTV. However, I don't know if it can show that on its own. This is her TV:

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=...eywords=R56W36
post #615 of 3342 Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 PM

I had a question on Comcast analog channels - what is the picture quality? (Digital channels are supposed to be great). I haven't had Comcast in a few year and it used to suck, but I have heard they improved. Comments anyone?
post #616 of 3342 Old 11-18-2006, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The only time I see analog is when I'm watching TV in my bedroom where I don't have a cable box. I have no complaints about the picture quality. If you have a box you're going to be seeing Digital instead of analog on all channels anyway. Assuming your system has full ADS.
post #617 of 3342 Old 11-18-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

I had a question on Comcast analog channels - what is the picture quality? (Digital channels are supposed to be great). I haven't had Comcast in a few year and it used to suck, but I have heard they improved. Comments anyone?

More often than not, analog quality (or a lack there of) is dependent on your in-home wiring, or in your neighborhood. I used to get horrible picture on analog channels a few years back. I replaced all my in house wiring, and now I've get the best analog quality of anyone I know.
post #618 of 3342 Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 AM

Hey Paulie, you seem to be getting some good info from inside Cocmast...

Any idea when we should be expecting the VRN I-Guide update?
post #619 of 3342 Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KML0224 View Post

My grandmother got the weirdest looking converter added to her Zenith TV this afternoon. The thing is about the same size as my Motorola Surfboard cable modem. It has no actual time or channel display, just the two lights for power (yellow) and messages (red). It only has the standard coaxial cable (75 ohm) input and the red/white/yellow RCA A/V jacks. I think it's made by Motorola. Also, it's responding to the same remote she had for the previous box. I've never seen a converter this small!

Obviously, it's not gonna pass through HDTV. By the way, my grandmother's TV is a Zenith projection TV #R56W36. It's at least a 50" screen and says it can handle HDTV. However, I don't know if it can show that on its own. This is her TV:

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=...eywords=R56W36

She has the WRONG BOX! She should get a silver box that can handle HD,as her set is HD capable.

When she has is a DCT700 which is good for smaller SD sets.
post #620 of 3342 Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplchamp1 View Post

Hey Paulie, you seem to be getting some good info from inside Cocmast...

Any idea when we should be expecting the VRN I-Guide update?

Stuff like that, I am not very privy to. I'm still an Adelphia customer, who just so happens to have a good relationship with a member of Comcast's regional marketing team. She shares programming information for me mostly, and then also provides me with information for the Adelphia transfer. Guide updates (that won't affect me, since I'm in an SA area) and hardware issues, I don't really have too much access to right now.
post #621 of 3342 Old 11-26-2006, 02:39 PM

In Hartford/Simsbury, can I get local HD stations via Comcast with a QAM tuner like MyHD 130 (and without Comcast cable box)? Thanks (I did try to search for an answer)
post #622 of 3342 Old 11-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a MyHD 130, but I do have a QAM tuner in my TV. I have basic cable and pick up the major networks in HD, plus PBS. FWIW...
post #623 of 3342 Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensibull View Post

I don't have a MyHD 130, but I do have a QAM tuner in my TV. I have basic cable and pick up the major networks in HD, plus PBS. FWIW...

Thanks, just the info I wanted!!
post #624 of 3342 Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like National Geographic HD is coming in the near future. There are two programs On Demand under HD OnDemand > TV Entertainment > National Geo HD

Neither of them are HD though. Just stretched SD widescreen.
post #625 of 3342 Old 11-28-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Looks like National Geographic HD is coming in the near future. There are two programs On Demand under HD OnDemand > TV Entertainment > National Geo HD

Neither of them are HD though. Just stretched SD widescreen.

Gee that is exactly what is on my xmas list, NGHD and NOT ESPN2HD.
post #626 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 AM

I'm considering switching from Directv to Comcast. I live in Wallingford, CT and, from what I hear, the quality of cable differs greatly from region to region. Since I've never been a cable subscriber, where does our region stack up?
post #627 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 AM

I can't speak for Wallingford but the locals I get in HD here in New Britain with my QAM tuner seem to be fine (WFSB, WTNH, WTXX, WVIT and WTIC). Comcast doesn't pass through WCTX for HD yet. I do get them with regular rabbit ears however.
post #628 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 AM

when you say 'fine' do you mean they're at least as good as the OTA broadcasts? I've heard troubling reports that the quality on dish/directv is less than a good cable provider. If this is true (and most importantly, noticeable) I'll probably have to go with comcast.
post #629 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 PM

It was very noticable to me. I recently put my D* account on hold, and went with Comcast (Branford system) and a Tivo Series3, and will soon be adding 2 more. The HD quality on D* has really gone down, and to me, the Comcast signal appears identical to the OTA signal, at least on WTNH. Comparing HBOHD and SHOHD, as well as DiscHD and ESPNHD, the quality I'm getting with Comcast is far superior to D*'s signal. And BTW, as a Jets' fan, I can tell you that every game that has been in HD this year has been available on Comcast in HD. There have been no conflicts with the Pats. This last Sunday there WAS a conflict with a Pats' game, but it was the Giants playing at the same time, so WTIC had the HD Pats' game, and if you wanted to watch the Giants on cable you would have had to watch the NY ch 5 feed in SD. But those conflicts seem rare.
post #630 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 02:13 PM

Your thoughts are very helpful. I JUST had Comcast come down and install cable and... well, I hate to say it but I'm pretty disappointed. Not in the HD quality.. that's tremendous! But every other channel looks like $#!+ I thought (by now) Comcast/Cable would be 100% digital. (afterall, they call themselves 'digital' cable) but was told that channels 1-99 are analog. the word alone makes me nauseous. They said that in early 2007 all the channels will be in digital but... I take anything "they" say with a grain of salt. Afterall, "they" said the Comcast-Tivo box would be out by now as well.

The fact is... I don't know how D* HD quality compares. One thing's for sure, it's DVR HAS to be better than this hunk of junk. Assuming the HD channels are at least comparable to comcasts, with the other channels looks 10X better (not to mention actually having a decent quality dvr) I think I'm going to stick (go back to) Directv.

Anyone care to talk me out of it? I've had an installation setup with D* for the past 2 weeks (they're coming down on the 11th) so... I'm merely trying out cable right now.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page