Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I won't try to talk you into or out of anything. It sounds like you'll be perfectly able to compare D* and Comcast for yourself, side by side, and make a decision based on what's best for you. I myself was pleasantly surprised at how good the picture is on Comcast, not only the HD, but the SD channels 2-99, as well. Of course, after 4 years of HD viewing, we don't watch too much SD stuff anymore, save for the nightly news, and some Food channel and HGTV stuff which my wife likes. Hopefully we'll have them in HD sooner rather than later.

And as far as the dvr goes, again, that'll be for you to decide for yourself. The new non-tivo dvrs which D* has gone to have had decidedly mixed reviews. I absolutely hate them, and that's one of the prime reasons I have switched over to cable. Others have had a better reaction. The Comcast Motorola box which I've been using is also no tivo, but as a secondary box it's worked pretty well for me, and I've even begun to appreciate some of the OnDemand stuff they offer. I use a tivo series3 as our main dvr now, and it's top of the line, but pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In Canton, 206 is currently listed as INHD2 (showing INHD content), 207 doesn't have a channel label (showing INHD2 content still) but all guide data for 207 is TBA. Anyone else seeing any changes on 206 and 207?
post #633 of 3342 Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 PM

ad301, I am moving to Durham in a few weeks and plan on switching from D* to Comcast. I really don't want to deal with OTA and mostly watch locals anyway. I also was going to get the same setup as you have - S3 (sell my HR10-250 on e-bay) for the main living room and the Motorolla box for the "secondary" TV in basement. I talked to Comcast, but am confused about their pricing structure. They told my $5 for two cable cards and $10 for the DVR. They also said there is no charge for "HD". Is that what you are getting?

jpsalerno - Where did you hear that Comcast is going to go all digital? How is that going to work? Most people that have digital probably do so only on one or two TVs. I think there would be a revolte if they would be forced to get converter boxes for all their other TVs and pay for them, too? I am planning on having 3 cables (kids, spare bedroom) just on regular cable.
post #634 of 3342 Old 12-02-2006, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301 View Post

Well, I won't try to talk you into or out of anything. It sounds like you'll be perfectly able to compare D* and Comcast for yourself, side by side, and make a decision based on what's best for you. I myself was pleasantly surprised at how good the picture is on Comcast, not only the HD, but the SD channels 2-99, as well. Of course, after 4 years of HD viewing, we don't watch too much SD stuff anymore, save for the nightly news, and some Food channel and HGTV stuff which my wife likes. Hopefully we'll have them in HD sooner rather than later.

And as far as the dvr goes, again, that'll be for you to decide for yourself. The new non-tivo dvrs which D* has gone to have had decidedly mixed reviews. I absolutely hate them, and that's one of the prime reasons I have switched over to cable. Others have had a better reaction. The Comcast Motorola box which I've been using is also no tivo, but as a secondary box it's worked pretty well for me, and I've even begun to appreciate some of the OnDemand stuff they offer. I use a tivo series3 as our main dvr now, and it's top of the line, but pricey.

I actually WON'T be able to truly compare Comcast to Directv because, while I techically have both services, only Comcast is active. But even if they were both active, I don't have the necessary Directv HD equipment so it wouldn't be a fair comparrison.

Directv is scheduled to come in on the 11th to install a new dish and the hd-dvr. Despite the cost savings with cable (which is ironic since price was what made me LEAVE cable years ago) I'd probably still prefer to stay with directv. While the quality on the hd channels is superb, the rest of the channels (including the digital) aren't nearly as good as what I remember getting from Directv (same tv, same everything) Even more importantly though, the DVR that Comcast gave me (Motorola 6412) is nothing short of a disgrace. Whoever's responsible for the design should be fired, plain and simple. While it obviously has a lot to live up to (had a directv tivo for years) I didn't think it would be THIS bad. That aside, the actual interface with cable (even if you don't have a dvr) is way too "80's" for me. Everything about it, from the font to the rounded, bubbly blocks just looks old school. I'm impressed with the on demand but feel that it would quickly grow stale.

Since neither company offers an HD Tivo/receiver (though there is speculation that Comcast will have one soon... but who knows?) it seems like a pretty even playing field. Since I've yet to test out Directv's HD quality, I have no way of knowing what to expect there. But as I said before, if it's as good as cable AND the rest of the channels are the same quality as I was used to before... (and the hd-dvr they give me is notably better than this POS from comcast (how could it not?)) I'll go back to directv.

Because I'd rather not waste my time and just be done with it.... If I'm convinced prior to the 11th that I'm going to be even MORE dissapointed, overall, with Directv's service (notably the HD content) then I may just stick it out with cable and try not to compare it to the superior tivo i had.
post #635 of 3342 Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

ad301, I am moving to Durham in a few weeks and plan on switching from D* to Comcast. I really don't want to deal with OTA and mostly watch locals anyway. I also was going to get the same setup as you have - S3 (sell my HR10-250 on e-bay) for the main living room and the Motorolla box for the "secondary" TV in basement. I talked to Comcast, but am confused about their pricing structure. They told my $5 for two cable cards and $10 for the DVR. They also said there is no charge for "HD". Is that what you are getting?

jpsalerno - Where did you hear that Comcast is going to go all digital? How is that going to work? Most people that have digital probably do so only on one or two TVs. I think there would be a revolte if they would be forced to get converter boxes for all their other TVs and pay for them, too? I am planning on having 3 cables (kids, spare bedroom) just on regular cable.

Though cable doesn't officially charge for HD, lb for lb, they're about the same price as Directv. With the bundled promotions however, they could potentially be a good deal less. For me, they're about $25/month less overall.

As for them going all digital... take it for what it's worth. The technician told me this after I complained about how lousy channels 1-99 looked in comparrsion to Directv's all digital lineup. He said that, even though it's called "digital" cable, only the premium (and of course HD) channels are digital. the rest are from the jurassic period. The picture quality on these channels (which include fox news, cnn, comedy central and others that I watch a lot) are absolutely terrible compared to directv. I mean... it's not even close. If you watch a lot of SD programming, this should be factored into your decision. If pushes comes to shove and it turns out that it's the opposite when it comes to HD, then I'd probably stick with cable. But if the HD channels on directv look as good Comcast (or preferably, OTA... strange how I receive an even BETTER quality picture over the air than I do through comcast) then I'm stickin with directv.

As far as everyone being in an uproar... This would clearly only affect those who have digital cable service. the more I think about it though, this tech seemed clueless (and did a terrible job on the install... I noticed afterwards that he left about 6 feet of loose wire coming off my house) so it was probably BS.

Ugh... 10 more days till Direct!!! The fact that I even have cable makes me feel like such a traitor!! (not to mention, conformist) haha
post #636 of 3342 Old 12-02-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsalerno View Post

......the DVR that Comcast gave me (Motorola 6412) is nothing short of a disgrace. Whoever's responsible for the design should be fired, plain and simple. While it obviously has a lot to live up to (had a directv tivo for years) I didn't think it would be THIS bad......

That's exactly what many people feel about D*'s hr20. Especially if you're a fan of how tivos work, you are liable to be severely underwhelmed. If you're less of a tivo fan, you may find it OK. See dbstalk.com for a lot of interesting talk (pro and con) on both the HD hr20 and SD r15.

Here's one thing, though, that you ought to be aware of. Any new D* equipment requires a 2 year programming commitment. You can't just try it to see if you like it, like you can with cable. Once you activate a new D* receiver, you're locked in, and are liable for an early termination buyout. (I think it's $300 pro-rated over 24 months.) This is the policy which was the final straw for me, a long time D* subscriber and supporter.
Quote:

Since neither company offers an HD Tivo/receiver (though there is speculation that Comcast will have one soon... but who knows?) it seems like a pretty even playing field.

Well, as I noted above, the tivo series3 IS available, although pricey.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
post #637 of 3342 Old 12-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

I talked to Comcast, but am confused about their pricing structure. They told my $5 for two cable cards and $10 for the DVR. They also said there is no charge for "HD". Is that what you are getting?

That sounds about right. Actually, maybe a little high for the CCs. I just looked at my bill, and I'm being charged $2.75/mo for "Cablecard A/O". As I recall, that is for the second CC, as the first one is free. And I have a "DVR Service" charge of $9.95/mo. If you don't use their box anymore, you won't pay this, but you'll lose VOD unless you get a free non-DVR digital box. Also, they will charge you for the CC installation. In my case it was $15.65 for the first, and $14.40 for the second. (!) Where they come up with those figures, I have no idea. There is no additional HD charge.
post #638 of 3342 Old 12-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

In Canton, 206 is currently listed as INHD2 (showing INHD content), 207 doesn't have a channel label (showing INHD2 content still) but all guide data for 207 is TBA. Anyone else seeing any changes on 206 and 207?

Channel 206 listed as INHD showing INHD programming,
Channel 207 not listed showing INHD2 programming.

I assume this is becaise Tuesday INHD2 becomes NATGEO HD.
post #639 of 3342 Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:

As for them going all digital... take it for what it's worth.

In some areas, Comcast is all digital. My area for one. You need a digital box or cable card to get the all digital service because the analog channels are simulcast in digital. It's called ADS (All Digital Simulcast). So, the tech was right, if you don't have it yet, it is coming. At least 90% of Ct has it now.

Quote:

"We're pleased with the feedback from customers on what they've been seeing," says John Donahue, Comcast's senior vice president of engineering and operations. "We haven't been very vocal about turning them (digital simulcasts) on, but we've been monitoring the bulletin boards, and people are noticing them. We're hearing lots of anecdotal information about how great the pictures look. It's achieving everything we've wanted it to do."

Donahue declined to say where Comcast has digital simulcasts up and running, but Comcast expects to have three-quarters of its markets converted to digital simulcasts by the end of the year.

Thanks to its Comcast Media Center in Denver, Comcast has a unique approach to digital simulcast. Similar to its Headend in The Sky (HITS) service, Comcast is able use a digital overlay platform for both itself and other cable operators. The overlay platform takes analog channels from a satellite, encodes and grooms them, and then sends them to cable networks for Comcast's, or other operators', digital simulcasting.

"At some point, if the digital feed isn't available off of a satellite, you need a digital encoder, and there are costs associated with that," Donahue says. "We encode all of the analog channels in Denver, prepare the multiplexers and then send them to our systems. It's a very cost-effective approach."

post #640 of 3342 Old 12-03-2006, 08:12 AM

hi everyone,
I'm buying my first house and it's in a town serviced by comcast. I currently live in a town where Cox is the only choice. I'm trying to figure out how much my cable bill will run me every month if I get just cable TV and get my internet elsewhere. All I need is HD-DVR and whatever the regular digital package is. Comcast's web site is very confusing because it makes it seem that the DVR and HD box are different items and fees yet I'm 99% sure they use the same box I have with Cox so the 15 bucks a month would cover me for both HD and DVR box fees. Is that correct?
post #641 of 3342 Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplchamp1 View Post

Channel 206 listed as INHD showing INHD programming,
Channel 207 not listed showing INHD2 programming.

I assume this is becaise Tuesday INHD2 becomes NATGEO HD.

Shortly after my post (next day?) I noticed they got the label fixed on 206 back to INHD. I've assumed that Nat Geo HD was replacing but the last thing I saw was in my bill in October to look for an announcement. Have you seen/heard anything recently about Tuesday actually being the day?

Other than the National Geographic (non)HD content that was added to OnDemand I haven't seen/heard anything.
post #642 of 3342 Old 12-03-2006, 08:58 PM

My bad, the date is actually 12/14 unless they're moving it up. It's on page 21.
post #643 of 3342 Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM

This is a question about reqiured subsciption levels for HD programming....

Since I basically only watch HD content (and I am cheap), I subscribe only to basic cable (2-26) and HD programming -- plus DVR and the digital guide. However, I do NOT receive all the HD channels that Comcast's website lists as part of the HD package. I'm on the Hartford system.

Specifically, I am missing NESN-HD (200), ESPN2-HD (203), and MHD (209).

Anyone else in a similar situation? I contacted Comcast and they told me I had to suscribe to expanded basic to receive these... but again, I am cheap and I do not want all that junk. Anyone complain with any results? Thanks for your input.
post #644 of 3342 Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

My bad, the date is actually 12/14 unless they're moving it up. It's on page 21.

Right, I posted that so I was wondering if you had heard/seen something different.

I hope it's not a waste of a channel. The OnDemand HD content they have right now isn't HD and I've heard the HD quality of the channel isn't that great either. Hopefully the quality the person was seeing was because of their provider and not because of Nat Geo HD being low quality. I guess we'll see in a week or so.

Edit: Just noticed that you were referring to PaulieORF's post and not what I posted from my bill. Somehow I never saw those posts before.
post #645 of 3342 Old 12-04-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarr View Post

This is a question about reqiured subsciption levels for HD programming....

Since I basically only watch HD content (and I am cheap), I subscribe only to basic cable (2-26) and HD programming -- plus DVR and the digital guide. However, I do NOT receive all the HD channels that Comcast's website lists as part of the HD package. I'm on the Hartford system.

Specifically, I am missing NESN-HD (200), ESPN2-HD (203), and MHD (209).

Anyone else in a similar situation? I contacted Comcast and they told me I had to suscribe to expanded basic to receive these... but again, I am cheap and I do not want all that junk. Anyone complain with any results? Thanks for your input.

Not sure what the question is... you're asking if you have to pay for something they say you have to pay for? The answer for me was, "yes." I signed up for the bare minimum plus HD and didn't get three or four HD channels, maybe the same ones you listed, but I think ESPNHD was one of them, so we had to add some other package for $7/mo. In Simsbury.
post #646 of 3342 Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post

hi everyone,
I'm buying my first house and it's in a town serviced by comcast. I currently live in a town where Cox is the only choice. I'm trying to figure out how much my cable bill will run me every month if I get just cable TV and get my internet elsewhere. All I need is HD-DVR and whatever the regular digital package is. Comcast's web site is very confusing because it makes it seem that the DVR and HD box are different items and fees yet I'm 99% sure they use the same box I have with Cox so the 15 bucks a month would cover me for both HD and DVR box fees. Is that correct?

I believe Comcast charges $5 for both the dvr rental and the hd programming. (so it's an extra $10/month) Since you're interested in all 3 services, basically just add that amount to $115 (that's what all 3 services will cost after taxes and fees) It sounds like you'd have the same package I have and I've budgeted $130/month for all 3 services.

By the way... I don't think your cox box (lol cox box) would work on the comcast system. just go with the motorola 6412 (make sure you tell them in advance to bring you one with an hdmi connection) It's not great... but it's growing on me.
post #647 of 3342 Old 12-04-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I believe Comcast charges $5 for both the dvr rental and the hd programming. (so it's an extra $10/month) Since you're interested in all 3 services, basically just add that amount to $115 (that's what all 3 services will cost after taxes and fees) It sounds like you'd have the same package I have and I've budgeted $130/month for all 3 services.

By the way... I don't think your cox box (lol cox box) would work on the comcast system. just go with the motorola 6412 (make sure you tell them in advance to bring you one with an hdmi connection) It's not great... but it's growing on me.

thanks, my cox box (yeah that does sound funny :-) ) is leased so i'd be returning it anyway.
So does anyone know if Comcast offers a local only phone package? I have that right now with Cox and it serves my needs well enough since I don't need LD since I have my cell phone. essentially, I'd want their cheapest package that gives me expanded basic, HD, DVR, cable internet, and phone (assuming I went the all comcast route).
post #648 of 3342 Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjohn View Post

Not sure what the question is... you're asking if you have to pay for something they say you have to pay for? The answer for me was, "yes." I signed up for the bare minimum plus HD and didn't get three or four HD channels, maybe the same ones you listed, but I think ESPNHD was one of them, so we had to add some other package for $7/mo. In Simsbury.

The issue is that Comcast's advertising does NOT indicate I need to subscribe to expanded basic to receive the HD channels in question, only the basic service (which I do subscribe to). However, when I call Comcast about this, they say I need expanded basic, so I feel rather deceived by Comcast. There is a disconnect between Comcast's advertising and their actual service.

If it were a matter of $7/month, I could probably live with it. I am curious what the extra package you added is??? I could inquire again about this specific package and perhaps solve the problem with only a modest amount of money. The expanded basic they say I need (but do not advertise) is roughly an extra $40/month, and the only programming I actually want is the HD channels, and that is more than I am willing to pay.
post #649 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The issue is that Comcast's advertising does NOT indicate I need to subscribe to expanded basic to receive the HD channels in question, only the basic service (which I do subscribe to). However, when I call Comcast about this, they say I need expanded basic, so I feel rather deceived by Comcast. There is a disconnect between Comcast's advertising and their actual service.

If it were a matter of $7/month, I could probably live with it. I am curious what the extra package you added is??? I could inquire again about this specific package and perhaps solve the problem with only a modest amount of money. The expanded basic they say I need (but do not advertise) is roughly an extra $40/month, and the only programming I actually want is the HD channels, and that is more than I am willing to pay.

I want the same channels you do but I am getting confused answers from the CSR's. I am near Norwich which is served by Adelphia that has been bought by Comcast. I just called to find out what I need to order to get all the HD channels except the premium movie channels because the Adelphia website ordering is disabled. The first time I called 888-683-1000 was Saturday and the woman I talked to said I could get all the HD channels with the HD package for $7.95/mo. plus $1.75 for a cablecard with no other service required (but I didn't order it because I needed to talk with my wife first). I next called yesterday to order it and the guy I spoke with said HD-basic with only the local channels comes with the cablecard for $1.75 but to get the other HD channels I needed HD-plus which would be $5 but I would also have to get the SD digital channels for $10. When he tried to order this selection he got a database error though so he gave the order to his supervisor (C.J.) who was supposed to call me back but hasn't yet. I don't think Comcast really knows what package they require to order the HD-plus channels. If they say I need expanded basic ($48/mo) or the bronze pack ($60/mo) I will just tell them to forget it.
[Edit] Well, C.J. never called me back so I called again. Now the CSRs say I have to get 'Classic' for $48 plus digital plus for $10 before I can order the HD channels for $7.95 so I have no interest in getting Comcast cable now.

- John
post #650 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

At one time they did specify that you needed to have the minimum digital package to receive certain HD channels though. Then in some areas you were able to add the digital package without having expanded basic (Boston for one), but in CT Comcast requires expanded basic in order to get any digital package. Which means expanded basic and a digital package to receive some HD channels.

I haven't looked at any of their advertising since they renamed all their packages, so I don't know if that fine print is still actually in there but sounds like it's still in affect.
post #651 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 AM

Does anyone know why we are not receiving the HD feed of the Nets' YES games, even though the on screen guide lists them? Tonight, for instance, 206 INHD lists a game at 7:30, but I'm betting that it will not be seen here, since (as far as I know) none of the previous games this season were. I seem to recall getting Nets' games last season, and we got the Yankeee HD games..... Why not the Nets?
post #652 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah none of the nets games on yes hd have been on inhd or inhd2 as they are listed in the guide.
post #653 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM

I put in a call to Comcast customer service today, to inquire about this issue. Needless to say, I'm no closer to having a reason for the lack of HD Nets' games than I was before I made the call.
post #654 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Every time I've checked this season the Nets games have been on INHD or previously on INHD2. Not sure why some of the state would get it and not others considering that everyone got the Yankees games.
post #655 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

when a channel is preempted it is done at the local head end. ad301 and i are both on the branford head end which seems to not have the switching equipment configured correctly. does anyone know if we are getting the january 07 rate increase like much of the rest of comcast territory?
post #656 of 3342 Old 12-05-2006, 11:26 PM

Fox Reality channel added to 181 (no channel listing, guide data TBA) - 687 Mhz

Odd, I was watching it, now it's coming up Not Authorized!

Now, after tuning to 180 and flipping back, i am once again authorized
post #657 of 3342 Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have any information on 161 FEARNET?

It doesn't seem to tune for me, so I'm guessing it must be in the Premier Pack/Sports Pack.
post #658 of 3342 Old 12-06-2006, 01:24 PM

FEARNET is a VOD channel only. It is just a link to a VOD menu.
post #659 of 3342 Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM

Removal of InDemand channels 504, 505, 506 and 507. Should free up some bandwidth!
post #660 of 3342 Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Removal of InDemand channels 504, 505, 506 and 507. Should free up some bandwidth!

Probably just enough for one HD channel.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page