Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 3315 Old 12-29-2006, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys

Switched to Comcast Digital Package from D* a couple of weeks ago when I moved. I finally got around and hung up my Plasma (2nd TV) a couple of days ago. For now, I have the cable going directly into the TV; eventually was going to pick up the S3 Tivo or another Comcast DVR (have the SA8300HD on my primary TV).

I allowed the TV to do an analog / digital scan, which took a while. I didn't expect any digital channels, but it found Retroplex (168) and Fuse. In addition, the TV found WFSB (233), WTIC (234), WTXX (235) and PBS (240) in high def. Also, it came up with all kinds of subchannels (91-10 through 91-25, etc.), but nothing on those channels.

I had no idea my TV could even receive these without a converter box, since the tuner goes up to only 135. I kind of figured that Comcast is not scrambling the high def locals. but why would I not be getting WTNH (231) and WVIT (232) if I do get the other channels?

Anyone else seen this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3315 Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 PM

On 1/31 New Jersey is getting Golf/Versus HD on channel 207. Wonder if it'll be added in Ct.
post #693 of 3315 Old 12-31-2006, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplchamp1 View Post

Comcast carries WTNH-DT, why don't the carry MYTV9 also?

I'm with you on this one! I just switched from DirecTV to Comcast and I love it. Well, except that I used to get NBC 4 out of NY in HD. They show the new "remastered" Star Trek in HD and it looks amazing. I know purists hate it, but I think the new effect are nicely done and in the spirit of the show. In CT, it looks like the syndicated series is only shown on WCTX. It's SD and it doesn't look bad, but you should see what it looks like in HD! It also runs on WWLP, but the WCTX broadcasts look a bit better.

Lack of Star Trek:TOS in HD has been my only disappointment so far, otherwise, I'm totally happy I switched. The picture quality on both SD and HD looks noticeably better and OnDemand is totally amazing.

Who can we bug to get Comcast to carry WCTX/MYTV9 in HD?
post #694 of 3315 Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 PM

Most likely Comcast and LIN Communications would need to be bothered on an equal basis.
post #695 of 3315 Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Hi - N00b to AVS and still looking through all the meaningful threads. Just bought the Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U (and for those who know about it, yes mine has the terrible banding issue, which Sharp has agreed to fix).

I live in North Haven and use the Branford Comcast system.

Anyway, went to get the HD box and ended up with the moto 6412 phase II, not the phase III I requested (phase III has HDMI rather than DVI connection). I realized at home I had the wrong box (stupid me believed they gave me the proper equipment requested...).

So, went back the next day and was told they were all out, probably due to high demand after Christmas. They were expecting a new shipment in on Jan 2 in Branford for anyone curious.

By the way, as far as I know there is no way to contact the Branford office to ask about stock. I called the general 1-800 number and they just made up information I wanted to hear ("oh yeah, they'll have all that stuff in stock!"). It's a 30 minute drive for me so I'm pretty pissed I got the wrong one to begin with, got jerked around on the phone, and traveled a second time only to find out they had none left. I'm taking a stab in the dark and going back on Saturday hoping they have a phase III in stock. Oh, they wouldn't hold one for me and they wouldn't call me when their shipment arrived. Great service...
post #696 of 3315 Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

dont hold your breath. ive gotten 4 dvr boxes, requested hdmi on each and gotten a phase II 6412 each time.
post #697 of 3315 Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 PM
ado

I live in the new haven area and have a comcast hd dvr with, to be honest, very ugly menu systems. Many people have the "new menu" systems in different areas in the united states, so why can't CT have them? Does anyone recieve the new menu system, i heard they were based on TV Guide. I would go to tivo but they are very expensive.
post #698 of 3315 Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301 View Post

Does anyone here receive these YES-HD basketball games on other Comcast systems in CT? Does anyone know how I can contact someone at Comcast who might know, for sure, what the actual reason is for these games not showing up here in Madison?

I got replies that these games are being seen in the Avon and Hartford areas. There's another game scheduled for tonite: it's in my guide for ch 206 7:30pm Chicago at New Jersey. I'd appreciate any further reports on whether this game is actually shown by Comcast or not. I'm particularly looking for feedback from the Clinton and Groton systems, as well as the New Haven, Middletown, Plainville, Vernon, Danbury, and Lakeville areas. Any reports of the game on or not on would be helpful.
Thanks, Alan
post #699 of 3315 Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post

dont hold your breath. ive gotten 4 dvr boxes, requested hdmi on each and gotten a phase II 6412 each time.

luck of the draw I got one with HDMI today but alas my TV only has component inputs. Definitely ironic that I don't need it and I have it and others who need it can't get it.
post #700 of 3315 Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got replies that these games are being seen in the Avon and Hartford areas. There's another game scheduled for tonite: it's in my guide for ch 206 7:30pm Chicago at New Jersey. I'd appreciate any further reports on whether this game is actually shown by Comcast or not. I'm particularly looking for feedback from the Clinton and Groton systems, as well as the New Haven, Middletown, Plainville, Vernon, Danbury, and Lakeville areas. Any reports of the game on or not on would be helpful.
Thanks, Alan

no game in guilford. same position and time on the guide but was regular inhd programming.
post #701 of 3315 Old 01-06-2007, 08:45 AM

Yeah, definitely luck of the draw. I specifically requested the 3416 and they brought me a 3412 Phase I (they're still out there!) a few weeks ago. After the installer left, I packed it up and drove right down to the Bolton office. I live in Vernon. After a quick "Let me check," they brought me a brand new 3416 Phase I. Still had the plastic overlay on the front! "Good timing, these just came in from the warehouse."

In the end, the picture was better over component than HDMI, on my calibrated Panasonic 50" DLP anyway. The HDMI picture was too bright and I don't have input-specific adjustment, just adjustable Cinema, Standard and Vivid modes.
post #702 of 3315 Old 01-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I went back to Comcast Branford this morning. Guess what - they had a 6414 Phase III (HDMI - I didn't want a DVR, but whatever). I was excited even though it was clearly used.

I got home, hooked it up and...it doesn't work! All digital channels are choppy and seem to lose the signal constantly. However Analog works great! I'm ready to beat my head against a wall. And funny, the woman at the counter said there was a guy in there earlier so mad he was threatening to blow up their cars! Wonder why...

Thanks Comcast for costing me $50 in gas to and from the Branford Office, $2 box swap-outs each time, and now I can't even watch any HD programming all weekend. OH! And I get to go all the way back to Branford to return the box OR pay $23 for a service call and take a day off from work... Let's hope when I return they even have the HDMI. Moral of the story - don't' fix it if it ain't broke!

Anyone have a current unscrambled HD channel list for the Branford area? My TV has QAM, but I have to manually locate the channels.
post #703 of 3315 Old 01-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Here are the channels I can tune with an indoor antenna...

3.1 WFSB CBS
3.2 CBS Springfield
12.1 The CW
12.2 The Tube
18.1 Univision
18.2 Telefutura
20.1 The CW
20.2 The Tube
30.1 WVIT NBC
30.2 NBC Weather Plus
31.1 FOX
33.1 WFSB CBS
33.2 CBS Springfield
35.1 WVIT NBC
35.2 NBC Weather Plus
40.1 ABC Springfield
46.1 Univision
46.2 Telefutura
55.1 ABC Springfield
61.1 FOX

WTNH is 8.1 but I cannot get a good signal.

Oops, you meant thru comcast
post #704 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM

Hi -

I am a Comcast subscriber in New Haven currently getting HDTV via a cable card. I am a Tivo loyalist and currently have multiple units for my DVR needs. Obviously, the want to record HD content is strong but I have avoided spending the cash on a Series 3 box. With the Tivo/Comcast partnership nearing, I am thinking of getting a Comcast box at this point to be ready when the Tivo software is ready. My confusion from reading this forum is all the different versions/phases of boxes are out there and the pros and cons of each. Could someone provide me with a summary of the currently available boxes or point me to where I could find that info?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
post #705 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM

Not sure if there is one such place. I think the most common box is the Motorolla. However, I moved from D* and 3 Tivos (including the HR10-250) to Comcast last month, but go the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD model.

Quick Impression: It's not a Tivo!! My plan was to get the S3 at some point. I now have had this box for 3 weeks, and it does the on things I want it to do - record programs lets me watch them when I want. The hard drive is too small (160 Gig), but can be easily expanded with an external drive. It does have Season Passes, but you can not prioritize them, and it is very cumbersome to set up and review. No Wishlist (I never used it) or Suggestions (I also never used it). Interface is very clunky, Guide data is only one week out, but it is faster than my Tivos.

So, unless this box starts missing recordings (many horror stories out there) I am not going to spend the $$$ for the S3. It does what I want for $10 / month.
post #706 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:

no game in guilford. same position and time on the guide but was regular inhd programming.

I heard from one other source that the HD YES hoops games are not being received in Clinton, either. I've come to the conclusion, finally, that it's a rights issue. I guess the coverage area for the Nets' HD games is different than for the Yankees. Oh well.
post #707 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in the same boat - I have one 80-hour Tivo Series 2 (non DT) and just picked up the Comcast Moto 6414 Phase III (or 6412, I forget which). I got it for a) the HDMI connections and b) HD recording ability and c) the DT. I LOVE Tivo (and my wife does even more). I want to stay with them, but my contract is up in March and I'm afraid there just isn't a place for Tivo in our house. I'm loath to admit it, but the Moto box can do what I want and I'm not paying $$$ for the Series 3. I do like the Tivo Software, but can't justify paying the further cost increase to Comcast for it in the future. I will miss the networking ability of the Tivo, something I do use all the time.

We're caught in that transition period. By the way, I went through 2 moto boxes from Comcast, both used, both which didn't work. Third one was the charm. It only has a 120GB drive.
post #708 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I heard from one other source that the HD YES hoops games are not being received in Clinton, either. I've come to the conclusion, finally, that it's a rights issue. I guess the coverage area for the Nets' HD games is different than for the Yankees. Oh well.

That's funny (not literally). I was told that the Celtics aren't shown in HD because not everyone in CT has FSN NE SD, but they can pick and choose where Nets HD broadcasts are shown?

If it is a rights issue then that will change by spring training or the start of the baseball season. All systems carrying YES HD will have to have it on it's own full time channel by April. This is something that is in YES's contracts from what I've been told and not something specific to Comcast.
post #709 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Does anyone know if Comcast plans to roll out the Motorolla (?sp) boxes to the areas/subsystems that are currently running the Scientific Atlanta boxes? It seems that when (if) the tivo software is available it will only be for the moto boxes.

Gear List!

post #710 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

That's funny (not literally). I was told that the Celtics aren't shown in HD because not everyone in CT has FSN NE SD, but they can pick and choose where Nets HD broadcasts are shown?

If it is a rights issue then that will change by spring training or the start of the baseball season. All systems carrying YES HD will have to have it on it's own full time channel by April. This is something that is in YES's contracts from what I've been told and not something specific to Comcast.

Interesting information. Thanks.
post #711 of 3315 Old 01-10-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SD feed of YES shows all the games. I think its an issue at the local end where INHD isnt being switched to the YES HD feed at the proper times.
post #712 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:

The SD feed of YES shows all the games. I think its an issue at the local end where INHD isnt being switched to the YES HD feed at the proper times.

That's what I've thought all along. But I've grown tired of trying to get that message through to the right person at Comcast. Give it a shot, maybe you'll have better luck!
post #713 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what I've thought all along. But I've grown tired of trying to get that message through to the right person at Comcast. Give it a shot, maybe you'll have better luck!

When I try I'm told INHD isnt broadcasting any games at that time and to check inhd.com for a schedule. Too bad we cant find someone in the know at the local level.
post #714 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Anyone else not getting the HD feed for Smallville tonight?
post #715 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Me too here in Marlborough. what is happening.
post #716 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No Smallville in HD here either.
post #717 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Got the HD feed at 9:30, half way thru Supernatural.
post #718 of 3315 Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 PM

I noticed that their gray pillarboxing was on during the SD problems. Normally, that's not on when CW is on.
post #719 of 3315 Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like YES HD Nets broadcasts have been removed from the INHD guide data. Oh well.
post #720 of 3315 Old 01-13-2007, 04:26 PM

i got the samsung h260f tuner which does both OTA AND QAM,i have he QAM hooked up through component as it was anky through hdmi,i only got one station in 1080i and the others are 480i. everytime i scan it gets different results or like certain sub channels will suddenly come in,its kinda wild how it all works,is there a way i can boost performance,signal booster maybe? having any filters removed? im using comcast and im in west hartford.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page