post #751 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelous View Post

Does anyone have Comcast HD service with the Series 3 Tivo?
I want to buy it but want to make sure I can get all the channels Comcast offers.
I read about them moving to SDV and this isn't supported by the S3.
It's so confusing. Can anyone clear it up some?

I do not have the Series 3 Tivo, but can tell you this. Yes, you would get all the channels that you pay for through Comcast with the Tivo. You will not get any on-demand. Comcast will begin moving their cable systems over to SDV later this year. Once your system moves over to SDV, your S3 Tivo will only be good for recording the analog channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Right now, the Series 3 works fine. It'll be several more months before SDV (Switched Digital VIdeo) technology is rolled out. Then, at that time, you'd have a giant paper weight opr door stop at your disposal.

The Comcast DVR isn't a TIVO, that's for sure, but, it does what it is supposed to do and does it well. Soon, Comcast will be updating their TV PLanner site that will allow the programing of the DVR's via the internet. The site is at http://www.tvplanner.net It's actually one of the nicer online TV listing sites.
post #753 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Stupid question of the day - what will SDV do for me? First time I heard of it, but I just came over from D*.

I am very glad I did not by the S3. I had 3 Tivos with D*, then got the SA8300. Smaller HD (but it can be expanded), but like pplchamp1 said, it does what it is supposed to do.
post #754 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

Stupid question of the day - what will SDV do for me? First time I heard of it, but I just came over from D*.

I am very glad I did not by the S3. I had 3 Tivos with D*, then got the SA8300. Smaller HD (but it can be expanded), but like pplchamp1 said, it does what it is supposed to do.

Switched video sends only the channels you are watching to your house. So instead of having all channels going down the pipe at the same time, just the channels being watch in your house are sent. This will give Comcast the ability to deliver a lot more programming, primarily HD.
post #755 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 11:46 AM

FYI Danbury Comcast has added CSHD @ 210. Last night it was Golf Channel content in HD even thought the guide had other programming.
post #756 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

I'd be interested in finding out when the Celtics TV deal with FSN expires. I could see NESN making a play for Celtics games. Of course, that would likely mean the NESN Alternate channel would be very active during this time of year.

I don't know when it expires, but they've been on FSN for close to 30 years. It would be big news if they ever switched. I don't think it'd ever happen, but who knows.
post #757 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post

FYI Danbury Comcast has added CSHD @ 210. Last night it was Golf Channel content in HD even thought the guide had other programming.

Maybe they labeled the channel wrong then. They probably gave you Versus HD (just like the rest of us) and not Comcast Sports HD.
post #758 of 3315 Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Switched video sends only the channels you are watching to your house. So instead of having all channels going down the pipe at the same time, just the channels being watch in your house are sent. This will give Comcast the ability to deliver a lot more programming, primarily HD.

Will this affect QAM In the clear channels like the local HDs? I use a Sony HDD-250/500 DVR and I just use it with the TVGOS to record the locals in HD.
post #759 of 3315 Old 02-03-2007, 07:21 AM

First, switched video is expensive to implement. Second, the best use of it is for the lesser watched digital programming to be switched. If you look at your channel line-up card, there are a lot of niche programs that are taking up bandwidth 24/7 that are prime candidates for switching. This is where switched video works best. Popular HD programming doesn't make sense to switch.

There is no question that switched video is the future, but I wouldn't panic, thinking that I'm going to lose the off-air HDs.

Mallego
post #760 of 3315 Old 02-04-2007, 06:11 PM

I have a Series3, and fear SDV.

I understand the bandwidth savings and all, but it basicially neuters the CableCards. Which means that, again, you have to rent a box (inferior at that) from the cable company. I don't think the FCC will be too happy about that.

I still think the best benefit would be to finally transition the analog channels to digital and require all homes to have a box. That's what's going to happen eventually somewhere down the line. Plus, with a new SD box cost of $3 and change, they can easily include one in the "basic" package.

You'll get WAY more bandwidth from sunsetting analog then you will from SDV.
post #761 of 3315 Old 02-04-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnt86 View Post

I have a Series3, and fear SDV.

I understand the bandwidth savings and all, but it basicially neuters the CableCards. Which means that, again, you have to rent a box (inferior at that) from the cable company. I don't think the FCC will be too happy about that.

I still think the best benefit would be to finally transition the analog channels to digital and require all homes to have a box. That's what's going to happen eventually somewhere down the line. Plus, with a new SD box cost of $3 and change, they can easily include one in the "basic" package.

You'll get WAY more bandwidth from sunsetting analog then you will from SDV.

First of all, the FCC cannot tell Comcast what they can and cannot do as far as their technology. The FCC will not go to Comcast and say "Hey, you don't need to do SDV in order to free up bandwidth." Secondly, Comcast is going to want to keep a tier of analog channels available as a base package, to keep customers who do not want a box. I think that Comcast will be reducing the number of available analog channels, but also will be shifting to switched video. A major HD war is about to begin between cable and DirecTV, and Comcast does not want to be behind at any point.
post #762 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 AM

Would it be reasonable and feasable for Comcast to switch the out of market locals which they carry in analog, over to the digital tier? Here they carry WCBS on ch 2, WNBC on 12, WNET on 13, WNYW on 15, and WABC on 25. That's five channels which carry much of the same programming as the local network affiliates. Granted, there will be some customers who prefer the NY local news, but they could get a digital box if they don't have one already. Are there contactual issues which would preven this? Five analog stations, that's a lot of bandwidth. Here on the bandwidth-starved Branford system, we sure could use something. We're still waiting for UHD, MHD, TNTHD, Golf/VSHD, much less any new HD channels Comcast may contract for. I don't think switched digital is a near term answer either. We probably wouldn't see that here for years. How are they going to compete with DirecTV, later THIS YEAR, if (and it is a big if) DirecTV really does start offering many many more HD channels???
post #763 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I've heard that Comcast is beginning to do this with some out of market locals in New Jersey, so it wouldn't shock me if they eventually do this here in CT.
post #764 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Is SDV for both analog cable and digital cable or just one or the other?
post #765 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is SDV for both analog cable and digital cable or just one or the other?

Digtal. SDV stands for switched digital video.
post #766 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 10:46 AM

oh yeah, duh. Okay, so either way it will make trouble for the S3 Tivo.
Thanks.
post #767 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Anyone know when SDV is coming to CT? Even if its end of this year or in 6 months...anything will help.
post #768 of 3315 Old 02-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

First of all, the FCC cannot tell Comcast what they can and cannot do as far as their technology. The FCC will not go to Comcast and say "Hey, you don't need to do SDV in order to free up bandwidth." Secondly, Comcast is going to want to keep a tier of analog channels available as a base package, to keep customers who do not want a box. I think that Comcast will be reducing the number of available analog channels, but also will be shifting to switched video. A major HD war is about to begin between cable and DirecTV, and Comcast does not want to be behind at any point.

The FCC does have some regulatory ability in this area. It was the FCC that forced CableCard into being after people complained that "Cable Ready" didn't exist anymore due to digital programming. SDV repeats this all over again.

I agree that they cannot tell Comcast they can't free up bandwidth. But I DO think that they can tell Comcast "Hey, you've got to offer the same digital service to CableCard people as you do digital box owners. That was the whole point after all." Will they? I have no idea. But could they? I think so.

There is some precident in this area. Just this past year they denied Comcast's petition to skip using CableCards as the access control devices in their digital boxes. CableCard owners - although we are few - are starting to complain. Additionally TiVo and Moxi have both raised complaints to the FCC about SDV.
post #769 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 05:54 AM

I just hope something is figured out soon. I love tivo so I hope they can fix this in their boxes.
post #770 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe a CableCard capable of doing SDV is in the works, that would be compatible with the existing S3 TiVos.
post #771 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Not from what I heard, it's more hardware in the S3 rather than what the cable card can do.
post #772 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not from what I heard, it's more hardware in the S3 rather than what the cable card can do.

Oh well, just trying to find some hope for the S3 owners out there.
post #773 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 AM

Me too becuase I wish I was an owner...only thing holding me back is the introduction of SDV and Tivo's lack of calming the crowd that the S3's will be useless for any channels on switched.
post #774 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM

what's the newest model out in CT for comcast dvr's?
post #775 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Motorola is the DCT-3416 and the Scientific Atlanta is the SA8300 HD.
post #776 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Is one better than the other? I don't know anything about either. But if the whole S3 Tivo thing doesn't get worked out soon I will look into renting the DVR from Comcast. Not sure If I'd even have a say in which one I got, but it's good to know a little about each just incase.
post #777 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Only depends on which system you are on, it's not a personal choice. What town do you live in?
post #778 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Vernon
post #779 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The first post in this thread lists Vernon as a Motorola head end which would make the 3416 the best DVR available. The next one down would be the 3412 (all digital with 120 gb hd) and the 6412 (analog and digital with 120 gb hd). The 3416 is all digital with 160 gb hd. The all digital just means that all channels from your head end have to be available as digital for you to be able to use it. It has nothing to do with your TVs.
post #780 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Oh ok. Right now I have their expanded basic package which is just channels 1-99 or whatever...if I upgraded to HD and the 3416 I would have to get the digital package plus the HD receiver and DVR?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page