Hartford, CT - Comcast - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They just revised their prices as I'm sure you're aware so it might be slightly more than what I'm about to state. A minimum of digital starter is required to get the HD DVR (unless that's changed) and a digital/hd (non DVR box) is somewhere around $9. Adding the DVR option brings it up to about $15. So essentially you'll be adding the cost of the digital package plus roughly $15 to your current bill. Well worth it since you'll have zero investment in hardware up front. If you hate it and want to go with the S3 after the switched digital thing shakes out then you've lost virtually nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Very good point. I was thinking that...try it out, see how I like it and if things straighten out with the S3 go to that. The main hesitation to switch dvr's is the familiarity with the Tivo interface. I would hate to give that up...BUT if Comcast begins to use their version with Tivo that would help sell me to rent from them.

With the Motorola dvr is there any add ons to get more Hard drive space? or are we stuck at 160?
post #783 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Maybe a CableCard capable of doing SDV is in the works, that would be compatible with the existing S3 TiVos.

Yeah - unfortunately that is a tough nut to crack.

SDV itself isn't a standard yet. So there are many vendors, each with their own system. It is possible to make something that would work with all the SDV systems, as they all operate in the same style, but how do you know which system you are on so you can communicate the specifics properly? Also, since the S3 has no DOCSIS hardware, this would need to be implemented by an external add-on box (totally possible though).

CableCard 2.0 includes talk-back capabilities, but there are a few problems there. The first problem is that current S3s don't have the DOCSIS hardware to talk back (the CableCards themselves are unchanged). The second problem is that the CC 2.0 standard isn't finalized and implemented. And the third problem is that, as the draft stands today, to use CC 2.0 you have to use the cable company's interface - which defeats the whole purpose for someone like TiVo or Moxi.
post #784 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelous View Post

With the Motorola dvr is there any add ons to get more Hard drive space? or are we stuck at 160?

I've always wondered about that myself. Clearly its against your rental agreement and all that jazz, but on a technical level, does anyone know if it is possible?
post #785 of 3315 Old 02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnt86 View Post

I've always wondered about that myself. Clearly its against your rental agreement and all that jazz, but on a technical level, does anyone know if it is possible?

I know that with the SA 8300HD, you can simply attach a SATA drive and boost your storage capacity. I pesonally haven't needed to do so, since I try to manage my recordings to stay under the 160gb, but I know 2 people who have done it and said it was a breeze. I'm sure there's a FAQ on AVS about this somewhere.
post #786 of 3315 Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 AM

Yeah it was just a bad time for Tivo to release their S3 I guess. I would love to keep with Tivo but if Comcast can release their boxes with the Tivo interface I will be getting that. Just hope that's soon. Maybe I'll have to wait till Series 4 Tivo comes out to switch back. It's not the greatest solution but at least it'll get the HD into my living room.
post #787 of 3315 Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

I know that with the SA 8300HD, you can simply attach a SATA drive and boost your storage capacity. I pesonally haven't needed to do so, since I try to manage my recordings to stay under the 160gb, but I know 2 people who have done it and said it was a breeze. I'm sure there's a FAQ on AVS about this somewhere.

Did they have any trouble with the SATA drive erasing all the data on it if it was turned off or lost power? A friend of mine ordered two drives for his SA 8300 HD DVRs from Charter and the drives reformatted when powered off. I thought this was ridiculous, but never had the time to look into it for him before he sent them back.
post #788 of 3315 Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Did they have any trouble with the SATA drive erasing all the data on it if it was turned off or lost power? A friend of mine ordered two drives for his SA 8300 HD DVRs from Charter and the drives reformatted when powered off. I thought this was ridiculous, but never had the time to look into it for him before he sent them back.

I have not heard of this happening. I would think that something like that happening may have to do with the software that is loaded on that receiver.
post #789 of 3315 Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about Comcast in CT going over to SDV?
post #790 of 3315 Old 02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about Comcast in CT going over to SDV?

Some of the systems are only 645mhz. I wouldn't expect SDV to come anytime in the near future. Possibly in 6 months plus. Since is not proven, I would rather see the cable systems upgraded for more channel capacity. Currently, the North Branford system is at capacity with 13 HD channels. Comcast can't even supply Extra Innings, Center Ice or League Pass on the system. When Comcast doesn't have the capacity to offer a revenue-creating product, you know things are grim. Anybody know if upgrades or ANYTHING positive is coming in the near future for the system? I feel like we are the bastard child of Comcast.
post #791 of 3315 Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Any word on UHD coming to Branford Comcast?

Would have been nice to see Westminster Dog Show in HD
post #792 of 3315 Old 02-12-2007, 06:50 PM

I live in Durham and am "stuck" with the North Branford system. Since I am fairly new to cable (recently moved from D*) I am not up with the system? What's the news / forcast to update this system? I am not a HD for the sake of HD fan; quality is better than quantity. But some channels in HD would be nice!!
post #793 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

I live in Durham and am "stuck" with the North Branford system. Since I am fairly new to cable (recently moved from D*) I am not up with the system? What's the news / forcast to update this system? I am not a HD for the sake of HD fan; quality is better than quantity. But some channels in HD would be nice!!

Same boat as you.

I think you need to change your loacation listing, looks like you are still in Wallyworld
post #794 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tase2 View Post

Same boat as you.

I think you need to change your loacation listing, looks like you are still in Wallyworld

I didn't even notice!! Thanks for pointing it out.
post #795 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 AM

Has anyone who rents the comcast dvr do anything to increase storage? 120 or 160 gb is not a lot for HD recordings.
post #796 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Has anyone who rents the comcast dvr do anything to increase storage? 120 or 160 gb is not a lot for HD recordings.

Sorry, I've got the Tivo S3, and paid too much for extra storage, but it is nice to have.

That has nothing to do with your question, hopefully somebody will have and answer for you
post #797 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 AM

I know I want the S3 but it's too much $ for not knowing when SDV will come thru and make it obsolete for new HD and switched stations. But that's another topic all together.
post #798 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Yeah it was just a bad time for Tivo to release their S3 I guess. I would love to keep with Tivo but if Comcast can release their boxes with the Tivo interface I will be getting that. Just hope that's soon. Maybe I'll have to wait till Series 4 Tivo comes out to switch back. It's not the greatest solution but at least it'll get the HD into my living room.

anyone have any idea when comcast in fact will be releasing their boxes with the Tivo interface??? I miss my TIVO.
post #799 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Check this link:

http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/basepo...x=/xnappo/main
post #800 of 3315 Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:

I know I want the S3 but it's too much $ for not knowing when SDV will come thru and make it obsolete for new HD and switched stations. But that's another topic all together.

The sobbing uncontrollably thread
post #801 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM

so i ended up buying a new LCD that has an HDMI connector and I got the cable today from Monoprice. I hooked it up my my TV and the Moto DVR and it is saying no signal. Is there some trick to activating the HDMI output if I had previously been using component?
post #802 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post

so i ended up buying a new LCD that has an HDMI connector and I got the cable today from Monoprice. I hooked it up my my TV and the Moto DVR and it is saying no signal. Is there some trick to activating the HDMI output if I had previously been using component?

You have to make sure your TV input is set to HDMI. My Sony is input 6, so just try cycling around.
post #803 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tase2 View Post

You have to make sure your TV input is set to HDMI. My Sony is input 6, so just try cycling around.

Yep the TV is definitely set on HDMI. I noticed in the cable boxes menu there is no setting for HDMI output (720P 1080i type settings) only for component. The box definitely has the plug (and says HDMI right across the front) but nothing. I called comcast and got a clueless tech support person that told me it was probably my HDMI cable but I highly doubt that. Any other ideas? My guess is that the box has the plug but lacks the correct firmware to activate it.
post #804 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM

I'm hearing that YES HD will be added on or around 3/15.
post #805 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplchamp1 View Post

I'm hearing that YES HD will be added on or around 3/15.

I know for a fact that Comcast is adding YES HD to the Waterbury and Seymour systems on 3/15, so there's probably truth to what you've heard.

Edit: The date for this has changed to 3/30.
post #806 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Hmm did a bit of poking around and found a menu that shows my HDMI output isn't turned on. Anyone know is there's a way to turn it on or am I stuck with component unless I can get a box with different firmware?
post #807 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Just watched Grey's Anatomy on WTNH-HD, Channel 231 on the North Branford System. The PQ for this HD show was lousy!! Not much better than the SD show. ER also didn't look that great. Is Comcast compressing the signal? All football games during the season looked great, so it is not my connection (HDMI connected to an SA 8300)
post #808 of 3315 Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 PM

From what I understand, Comcast does not compress HD. They use the full bandwidth per HD channel. Could have been an ABC issue. I didn't watch either so i cannot comment on what it looked like here.
post #809 of 3315 Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM

Hi everyone, i'm thinking about leaving Dishnetwork cause they don't offer local channels in HD in Connecticut, and i'm thinking about going to Comcast. I live in Norwich, so comcast is very new to us, they took over Adelphia (which stank). I'm wondering what i can expect. When i go to comcast's website it says "channel lineup coming soon for your area." First, i assume i'm going to be able to get local channels in HD. Next i'm wondering what other channels they put out in HD. I'm also wondering if i can get a HD Reciever and DVR all in one set-top-box or do i need two boxes (on for HD, one for DVR). any help anyone could give would be appreciated.
post #810 of 3315 Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

Just watched Grey's Anatomy on WTNH-HD, Channel 231 on the North Branford System. The PQ for this HD show was lousy!! Not much better than the SD show. ER also didn't look that great. Is Comcast compressing the signal? All football games during the season looked great, so it is not my connection (HDMI connected to an SA 8300)

I have the HD channels from Comcast and OTA. Switching between them both, I can see no obvious difference. I've noticied that WTNH has been worse than usual lately, both OTA and Comcast. And the Thursday night lineup on NBC is great until 4:3 Scrubs comes on. The PQ is still okay, but ER looks pretty bad all around. Remember the local channels mildly compress their HD so they can have multiple channels on the same feed. WFSB has local HD 3.1, Springfield SD 3.2, and Eyewitness NOW (like NBC Weather plus) on 3.3. What Comcast receives is what you get.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page