Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2007, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisson_dog View Post

I have the HD channels from Comcast and OTA. Switching between them both, I can see no obvious difference. I've noticied that WTNH has been worse than usual lately, both OTA and Comcast. And the Thursday night lineup on NBC is great until 4:3 Scrubs comes on. The PQ is still okay, but ER looks pretty bad all around. Remember the local channels mildly compress their HD so they can have multiple channels on the same feed. WFSB has local HD 3.1, Springfield SD 3.2, and Eyewitness NOW (like NBC Weather plus) on 3.3. What Comcast receives is what you get.

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that it wasn't Comcast. I used to have OTA reception at my old house, and the quality seemed better. It may be that I am used to the GREAT quality watching football in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 01:07 PM

I am a fairly recent digital cable subscriber with dvr. Had regular cable for years. Can anyone confirm that Comcast Hartford Ct has all channels except the local ones 5c flaged. Because I can't seem to transfer them to my pc via firewire, and tech support is useless. to quote "we don't support that".

thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm23 View Post

Hi everyone, i'm thinking about leaving Dishnetwork cause they don't offer local channels in HD in Connecticut, and i'm thinking about going to Comcast. I live in Norwich, so comcast is very new to us, they took over Adelphia (which stank). I'm wondering what i can expect. When i go to comcast's website it says "channel lineup coming soon for your area." First, i assume i'm going to be able to get local channels in HD. Next i'm wondering what other channels they put out in HD. I'm also wondering if i can get a HD Reciever and DVR all in one set-top-box or do i need two boxes (on for HD, one for DVR). any help anyone could give would be appreciated.

scm23 - Try putting in the zipcodes for Ledyard, Groton, etc... those channel listings should be the same as Norwich (I'm assuming Norwich will become part of the New London area Comcast region, BTW welcome to the low bandwitch bastard child region of Comcast). What I mean by that is we are the least upgraded region, so it'll take alot to get more HD channels, etc...

With that said I like Comcast HD in this region because I'm a fan of leasing a box (it breaks just grab another). So you asked about the boxes. Answer = SA8300HD is a dual tuner HD DVR all in one box. That's two tuners both the same (so SD and HD channels) and a decent size HD for a good number of HD recordings. Just take a peak at the SA8300HD threads for setup (picking resolutions, options) and you should be all set. BTW we do have both ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD now. All locals including FOX and the HD VOD so there are HD channels....
Old 02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

scm23 - Try putting in the zipcodes for Ledyard, Groton, etc... those channel listings should be the same as Norwich (I'm assuming Norwich will become part of the New London area Comcast region, BTW welcome to the low bandwitch bastard child region of Comcast). What I mean by that is we are the least upgraded region, so it'll take alot to get more HD channels, etc...

With that said I like Comcast HD in this region because I'm a fan of leasing a box (it breaks just grab another). So you asked about the boxes. Answer = SA8300HD is a dual tuner HD DVR all in one box. That's two tuners both the same (so SD and HD channels) and a decent size HD for a good number of HD recordings. Just take a peak at the SA8300HD threads for setup (picking resolutions, options) and you should be all set. BTW we do have both ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD now. All locals including FOX and the HD VOD so there are HD channels....

The Norwich system is an 860mhz system if memory serves me right. It will continue to operate as a seperate system, with a seperate head end. So they won't be joining the "bastard children" of Comcast, because Groton's 500mhz system and theirs will remain seperate.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG25 View Post

Just watched Grey's Anatomy on WTNH-HD, Channel 231 on the North Branford System. The PQ for this HD show was lousy!! Not much better than the SD show. ER also didn't look that great. Is Comcast compressing the signal? All football games during the season looked great, so it is not my connection (HDMI connected to an SA 8300)

Pat,
North Branford is on the Branford system. Are you sure Durham isn't on the Clinton system?
There are only a couple of shows I watch on Local Hd's, Lost which looks fantastic and 2 and a half men which looks even better since my tv is 1080i native . If i were abc i wouldnt waste the bandwidth on greys anatomy either. Maybe they learned a new trick and figured out DirectTv's HDlite broadcast.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 PM

Per the list in the first post for New Haven, CT:

196 HD ON DEMAND
200 NESN HD (FT - 6/06)
202 ESPN HD
203 ESPN2 HD - (6/06)
204 TNT HD - (11/05)
205 Discovery HD
206 INHD
207 INHD2/YES HD
208 Universal HD (2/06)
209 MHD (6/06)
223 Showtime HD
227 Starz!HD
231 WTNH-HD (ABC)
232 WVIT-HD (NBC)
233 WFSB-HD (CBS)
234 WTIC-HD (FOX)
235 WTXX-HD (WB)
240 CPTV-HD (PBS)
300 HBOHD
319 MAXHD

How do I tell which ones are "in the clear" with QAM, meaning an HD Home Run could tune them to record with SageTV?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Branford System, same Channel lineup - I have an HD TV directly connected to cable; no receiver. I can receive 233-240; but for some reason do not get 231 and 232. None of the other channels.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

thanks for the info, appreciate it
Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Branford System, same Channel lineup - I have an HD TV directly connected to cable; no receiver. I can receive 233-240; but for some reason do not get 231 and 232. None of the other channels.

Thanks... as I understand it aren't all "locals" supposed to be in the clear per FCC regulations, meaning you should also be getting 231/232 on that lineup? Regardless, that gives me a better idea of what to expect .
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Thanks... as I understand it aren't all "locals" supposed to be in the clear per FCC regulations, meaning you should also be getting 231/232 on that lineup? Regardless, that gives me a better idea of what to expect .

I think there is controversy about HD locals that are part of the premier package. I called Comcast about it once, but they gave me the run-around. Obviously they did not know the answer either.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I think there is controversy about HD locals that are part of the premier package. I called Comcast about it once, but they gave me the run-around. Obviously they did not know the answer either.

That's just lame... do you think ABC/NBC (HD) could be gotten with an indoor antenna?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you guys checked to see if perhaps WTNH and WVIT are just not being mapped to to 231 and 232? I have a QAM tuner built into my TV which shows me all digital channels that it found, regardless of whether they are unencrypted or not. So, I get a lot of black screens. My locals are currently not remapped to their advertised Comcast channel location, instead they are at 86-3, 86-4, 86-30, 106-4, 106-5, and 106-19. They are not labeled or anything, so if I didn't know what channel numbers my locals were on, I'd have to go through every channel. I have a separate QAM tuner which is a bit smarter, and after a scan shows me only the channels that are unencrypted, thus making it much easier to find my locals, whether they remap or not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is perhaps WTNH and WVIT are really there, you just may not know it because they're not remapping.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Have you guys checked to see if perhaps WTNH and WVIT are just not being mapped to to 231 and 232? I have a QAM tuner built into my TV which shows me all digital channels that it found, regardless of whether they are unencrypted or not. So, I get a lot of black screens. My locals are currently not remapped to their advertised Comcast channel location, instead they are at 86-3, 86-4, 86-30, 106-4, 106-5, and 106-19. They are not labeled or anything, so if I didn't know what channel numbers my locals were on, I'd have to go through every channel. I have a separate QAM tuner which is a bit smarter, and after a scan shows me only the channels that are unencrypted, thus making it much easier to find my locals, whether they remap or not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is perhaps WTNH and WVIT are really there, you just may not know it because they're not remapping.

Yes, that is possible. When I did an auto-scan I had a lot of sub-channels show up with nothing on them, same as you. However, the other channels are at 233-240, so I expected WTNH to be there, too. I did not search through all the channels that showed up.

By the way, I have no idea how my TV could display 233, anyway. I thought the QAM Tuner could go up to only 180 or so.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I don't have my HD tuner or HDTV yet, so I haven't even tried ... I did call Comcast to check (I'm moving to a new apartment soon) and they said I should get all the locals such as FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, PBS, etc., but not Discovery HD, etc. So, it's what I was expecting (so long as they were right) . I'm just trying to prepare in advance .

Do you happen to know if SageTV version 5 with the HDhomerun can do an auto-scan for unencrypted QAM channels, to make mapping them easy?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have my HD tuner or HDTV yet, so I haven't even tried ... I did call Comcast to check (I'm moving to a new apartment soon) and they said I should get all the locals such as FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, PBS, etc., but not Discovery HD, etc. So, it's what I was expecting (so long as they were right) . I'm just trying to prepare in advance .

Do you happen to know if SageTV version 5 with the HDhomerun can do an auto-scan for unencrypted QAM channels, to make mapping them easy?

That I don't know. Even if it does not, I'm sure a friendly poster from the area of your new apartment would post the QAM channels for you.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that is possible. When I did an auto-scan I had a lot of sub-channels show up with nothing on them, same as you. However, the other channels are at 233-240, so I expected WTNH to be there, too. I did not search through all the channels that showed up.

By the way, I have no idea how my TV could display 233, anyway. I thought the QAM Tuner could go up to only 180 or so.

135 is as high as I've seen any TV tune to, however the 233 is just a number that is used for convenience, and actually just sends you to a digital QAM channel at something like 86-3, for example. My locals used to map to the 700s. They don't map at all right now because Comcast is in the middle of a major transition for us from Adelphia. For a few days a couple of weeks ago, my locals actually mapped to the 230s as well, while they were tinkering around.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, for some strange reason, the last time I did an autoscan on my Sony HD DVR, it didn't re-map the channels like it normally does. I live in West Haven and get Comcast from New Haven. The non-remapped channel numbers here are:
89.1 CPTV
89.2 WTXX
89.3 You Tube
93.1 WTNH
93.2 WVIT
93.3 Weather+
94.17 WTIC
94.18 WFSB
107.27 Movieplex

My QAM tuner has also found digital versions of the basic (not extended basic) channels and a handful of OnDemand channels that others are viewing.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Awesome, this is very helpful... copying/pasting them for later !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisson_dog View Post

(SNIP)

Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have info on a *new* HD DVR box Comcast is using or going to use in the Branford system? I have a moto series II and wanted to upgrade to the series III (for HDMI), but was told the manufacturer was no longer distributing those boxes because of a new line which will soon be used, but I couldn't get any more info than that. I'm on *the list* to get a new one in a week or two.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post

Anyone have info on a *new* HD DVR box Comcast is using or going to use in the Branford system? I have a moto series II and wanted to upgrade to the series III (for HDMI), but was told the manufacturer was no longer distributing those boxes because of a new line which will soon be used, but I couldn't get any more info than that. I'm on *the list* to get a new one in a week or two.

The only thing that I can think of is that the Branford system is or will soon be full ADS so a digital only box will be able to be used. If that's the case then the box that will be distributed will be the 3416. Same as the 6412 that you currently have except that it has HDMI and a 160gb drive rather than the 120 gb drive. That is unless they're coming out with an even newer box, but I doubt that since this box was just made available to customers in the late summer or early fall time frame.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Per the list in the first post for New Haven, CT:

196 HD ON DEMAND
200 NESN HD (FT - 6/06)
202 ESPN HD
203 ESPN2 HD - (6/06)
204 TNT HD - (11/05)
205 Discovery HD
206 INHD
207 INHD2/YES HD
208 Universal HD (2/06)
209 MHD (6/06)
223 Showtime HD
227 Starz!HD
231 WTNH-HD (ABC)
232 WVIT-HD (NBC)
233 WFSB-HD (CBS)
234 WTIC-HD (FOX)
235 WTXX-HD (WB)
240 CPTV-HD (PBS)
300 HBOHD
319 MAXHD

How do I tell which ones are "in the clear" with QAM, meaning an HD Home Run could tune them to record with SageTV?

Sorry, I've neglected updating the channel lineup changes that happened late last year and earlier this year. 206 is now INHD/YES, 207 is now NGCHD and 210 is VSGLF (Versus/Golf HD). I think the rest is up to date though. Hopefully we'll see something soon about YES HD getting it's own dedicated channel.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention ESPN2 HD on 202 which I believe all systems should have now that INHD2 (207) was removed.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Sorry, I've neglected updating the channel lineup changes that happened late last year and earlier this year. 206 is now INHD/YES, 207 is now NGCHD and 210 is VSGLF (Versus/Golf HD). I think the rest is up to date though. Hopefully we'll see something soon about YES HD getting it's own dedicated channel.

I am jealous! In the Branford system (I moved to Durham, I think I am in that system) we do not have 204, 206, 207, 208 or 209. Wish we would get some more HD channels.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I am jealous! In the Branford system (I moved to Durham, I think I am in that system) we do not have 204, 206, 207, 208 or 209. Wish we would get some more HD channels.

Anyone have any idea if the Branford system has anything in the works for those channels?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 AM

I feel your pain, the middletown system is also STILL lacking and we don't get as many HD channels as other parts of the state. I keep waiting and hoping.

Gear List!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Is anybody in the state getting the Golf/VS HD channel? My TiVo Series3 has the listings on ch 210 here on the Branford system, but of course, we don't receive it. The NYR-NYI game tonight is one I'd be interested in seeing in HD. I know they added ESPN2HD here when they took off INHD2, but it just seems to me that I'm actually getting LESS HD content which interests me than I was a few months ago. Unbelievable. It's getting harder and harder to be patient, waiting for additional HD content to roll out....
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1438 View Post

I feel your pain, the middletown system is also STILL lacking and we don't get as many HD channels as other parts of the state. I keep waiting and hoping.

I just don't think it is fair.

We probably all pay a similar amount for HD content, I think we should all get the same content.

How difficult can it be for Comcast to add the additional HD channels to all the systems in CT?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301 View Post

Is anybody in the state getting the Golf/VS HD channel? My TiVo Series3 has the listings on ch 210 here on the Branford system, but of course, we don't receive it. The NYR-NYI game tonight is one I'd be interested in seeing in HD. I know they added ESPN2HD here when they took off INHD2, but it just seems to me that I'm actually getting LESS HD content which interests me than I was a few months ago. Unbelievable. It's getting harder and harder to be patient, waiting for additional HD content to roll out....

Yes, all systems that are 750mhz and up are receiving the Vs/Golf HD channel on 210. Well, perhaps all those 750mhz and above that were not recently Adelphia areas. I don't think they've received the latest additions just yet. Paulie?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You must have 206, everyone has INHD although it's no consolation for not having TNT-HD, NGCHD, UniversalHD and MHD. You're not missing a whole lot with not having NGCHD or MHD, but TNT-HD is nice for NBA games and UniHD is good for some sports coverage and the occasional movie.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

Yes, all systems that are 750mhz and up are receiving the Vs/Golf HD channel on 210. Well, perhaps all those 750mhz and above that were not recently Adelphia areas. I don't think they've received the latest additions just yet. Paulie?

Since Comcast took over, we have so far received TNT HD and WTXX-DT. On the 21st of this month, we're getting Versus/Golf HD, followed by the addition of YES HD on 3/30. Also, Comcast is adding SNY here very shortly but no word on what they're doing for HD with that. In addition, NESN HD may be coming on board if they seal the deal with NESN. No word on channels such as MHD, Universal HD, or A&E HD, just yet.

P.S. To ease any potential worries by pepole in the Waterbury, Seymour, Norwich or Old Lyme systems, they are all 860 MHz, so bandwidth will not be a prohibiting factor.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM

I've been using my QAM tuner in Berlin (Plainville System) with no issues and a few days ago Comcast reorganized the HD channels. Now the station name, and sometimes the name of the program airing would show (forgot what this "feature" was called). Anywho, I don't get WVIT-HD (NBC 30) anymore.

I rescanned every days, and have only seen one change - they moved wtxx-hd around. Here is what I have now:

0-0 WTXX-HD
0-0 NBC WX++
0-0 WTIC HD
3-1 WEDH-HD
3-1 WFSB-HD
8-1 WTNH-DT
20-2 TUBE-TV

Anybody else in this area know where WVIT-HD went? Is it odd that there are 3 stations showing up on 0-0 and 2 on 3-1? Before all my HD channels were up in the 88-1 area.