Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 3339 Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

Ok, Just got the postcard flyer on the "myDVR" scheduling via computer or smartphone.

Decided to do a quick search and found a MA/southern NH article that Comcast has a "AnyRoom DVR" also as something new. Now I'm getting to the interesting part (atleast to me).

The article said you need new hardware for the AnyRoom (upto 3 HD stbs/clients) and that it is a 500GB HD for 50hrs of HD content! That's the interesting part to me. I think we've gone a long time on the SA8300HD platform and my #1 thought is a bigger hard drive is long over due.

Anyone know if southeastern CT might get the new boxes. Yes I know you can do external SATA w/old SA8300HD but that's out of pocket cash and headaches with issues, etc....

Anyroom DVR is currently Motorola only systems and boxes. Nothing on SA/Cisco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 3339 Old 09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

Anyroom DVR is currently Motorola only systems and boxes. Nothing on SA/Cisco.

Thanks for the info. I still wouldn't mind new hardware for only a bigger hard drive (internal so no hassles). I'm starting to think Comcast doesn't care about us old low bandwidth areas with SA hardware!
post #2913 of 3339 Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I still wouldn't mind new hardware for only a bigger hard drive (internal so no hassles). I'm starting to think Comcast doesn't care about us old low bandwidth areas with SA hardware!

yeah, that's why I think I'll be calling DirectTV at the end of the week.
post #2914 of 3339 Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM

I've been off Comcast for a few years now and was wondering if the Middletown system is still on SA hardware or if it has been migrated to motorola supporting the anyroom dvr and remote scheduling. Thanks in advance!

Gear List!

post #2915 of 3339 Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It appears I will have to ditch Comcast this Sunday to be able to watch the Giants game in CT.
post #2916 of 3339 Old 09-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1438 View Post

I've been off Comcast for a few years now and was wondering if the Middletown system is still on SA hardware or if it has been migrated to motorola supporting the anyroom dvr and remote scheduling. Thanks in advance!

Middletown is still a Cisco/SA system... though they recently did get upgraded from 550 to 750 and received additional HD and SD channels.
post #2917 of 3339 Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 AM

The Danbury Comcast just got the new iGuide in the past week. There are some fundamental flaws in the new software out of the box. First, you can no longer pass through HD signals, the box will automatically fixes all HD signals to either 1080i or 720p. Also out of the box all 480i is switched to 480p. Secondly there currently is no way to get to the HD Setup on the RNG150. So when they switched over to the guide software any RNG box automatically got stuck in forcing everything to 1080i.

The worst insult of all is that they no longer support PIP for your DVR. They totally took that feature away, so when I called Comcast asked if that was temporary they claimed it was an enhancement and that if I wanted PIP I could always get another cable box, when I asked if they would charge to have a feature this feature back they said by all means yes we have to charge for the box. If you are a SA shop hope that they run into some serious technical difficulties - cause this guide is terrible.

Finally the put in banner ads on the bottom of the guide.
post #2918 of 3339 Old 09-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

I've been wondering how to get into the output video resolution settings on the new GUI. I wanted to try going with Passthrough again as I got a new AVR with good/great upscaling.

has anyone also noticed in the new software that sometime (mostly when you first start using the box) it has a bit of A/V sync issues? But then it goes away?

I really feel they should have rolled out new boxes with bigger hard drives to atleast give us something beneficial.

Oh those ads at the bottom are freaking horrible. They are not there to "help you findout about shows you would like.." We're paying way too much to have ads take-up guide data/grid space.
post #2919 of 3339 Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 PM

Edit - I'm NOT using an HDMI cable. I now think that's my problem

This is not a local question but I have it b/c of the req to have a box to get cable stations. My TV tuner card no longer gets cable stations withor without a box so I bought a Viewsonic vt2300LED. (My digital cable box is RNG110.) I'm not getting it set up. When I start the new TV it goes to an autoScan and doesn't pick up any channels. I called comcast and the guy says to set the box to channel 3. I tell him that the RNG100 has no 3/4 switch which he finally agrees with. But then he tells me to set the tv to channel 3 or 4. Well, I can't get past the autoscan (which is finding nothing.) ViewSonic has no online help. I plan to call them on Monday but thought maybe one of you could help a newbie.
Thanks
post #2920 of 3339 Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

Middletown is still a Cisco/SA system... though they recently did get upgraded from 550 to 750 and received additional HD and SD channels.

Damn, thanks for the info. Glad to see the system got more HD finally; looks like they have all the main ones now, but I'm very spoiled with remote dvr scheduling and multi room viewing that DirecTV has. I'm just getting a ton of audio dropouts lately that is making watching stuff almost unbearing... Would switch back if they had these 2 features as well as cheaper boxes; have 2 hd dvrs and 2 HD set tops...that would cost me $60/month alone!

Gear List!

post #2921 of 3339 Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post

The Danbury Comcast just got the new iGuide in the past week. There are some fundamental flaws in the new software out of the box. First, you can no longer pass through HD signals, the box will automatically fixes all HD signals to either 1080i or 720p. Also out of the box all 480i is switched to 480p. Secondly there currently is no way to get to the HD Setup on the RNG150. So when they switched over to the guide software any RNG box automatically got stuck in forcing everything to 1080i.

The worst insult of all is that they no longer support PIP for your DVR. They totally took that feature away, so when I called Comcast asked if that was temporary they claimed it was an enhancement and that if I wanted PIP I could always get another cable box, when I asked if they would charge to have a feature this feature back they said by all means yes we have to charge for the box. If you are a SA shop hope that they run into some serious technical difficulties - cause this guide is terrible.

Finally the put in banner ads on the bottom of the guide.

Yea its #$%@$#^ stupid.
post #2922 of 3339 Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Any info on how to get to the resolution settings with the new GUI software on the SA8300HD box?
post #2923 of 3339 Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Any info on how to get to the resolution settings with the new GUI software on the SA8300HD box?

turn off the box, leave the tv on then hit menu on the remote.
post #2924 of 3339 Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Before the new guide I could hit L/R navigation arrows on my 8300HD remote and it would show the previous or next show at the bottom of the screen. Now htting these keys fast fowards or rewinds a show even if you're watching it live. Anyone know how to get this back to the way it was?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #2925 of 3339 Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Before the new guide I could hit L/R navigation arrows on my 8300HD remote and it would show the previous or next show at the bottom of the screen. Now htting these keys fast fowards or rewinds a show even if you're watching it live. Anyone know how to get this back to the way it was?

press "ok/select" before you press L/R
post #2926 of 3339 Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 AM

I also have some questions on the new guide:

- Can I turn off the on screen notifications telling me it is recording something or that it finished recording something? They take up the whole screen and I think I was watching one show while something else was recording and when it finished it actually changed the channel to what had recorded to tell me it finished.

- Can I change it so that the dvr display shows the time and not "rec" when it is recording something?

- Is there a way to quickly turn on CC without having to go all the way into set up?

The new guide is terrible. The old way was very plain and clunky but at least it worked. They made changes with the new one that make the experience way worse for no apparent reason.
post #2927 of 3339 Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

turn off the box, leave the tv on then hit menu on the remote.

I gave this a try and I couldn't get anything on screen. I even took a look at the front panel buttons and non of them gave me a "menu/setup" screen either.

Oh this reminds me of another stupidity of the new software: Why can't you turn "off" the STB when it's recording something like we could in the previous software.

I'm getting On/Off states issues (thanks to no discrete IR codes on the SA8300HD box) using my Harmony One thanks to this stupid software decision. Just turn off the video/audio outputs with "off" darn it all.
post #2928 of 3339 Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

press "ok/select" before you press L/R

Thank you very much that did the trick.

post #2929 of 3339 Old 10-03-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know where the 8300HD "Copy to VCR" features went. This was handy for coping recorded shows from the DVR to a DVD-R

post #2930 of 3339 Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM

On the Legacy SA boxes. Keep the TV On, Turn off the STB and Hold down the Channel +/- buttons until you see a screen.
post #2931 of 3339 Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post

On the Legacy SA boxes. Keep the TV On, Turn off the STB and Hold down the Channel +/- buttons until you see a screen.

Thanks, but I tried it and nothing happens on the 8300 HD.

post #2932 of 3339 Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:

That is strange I have 8300HDC. Are you pressing the Channel +/- at the same time on the STB (not the remote)? My goes into user setting mode right away.
post #2933 of 3339 Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:

try this then

Turn the DVR off and the HDTV on & then on the DVR press Guide and Info at the same time
post #2934 of 3339 Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Anyone know where the 8300HD "Copy to VCR" features went. This was handy for coping recorded shows from the DVR to a DVD-R

To do this you'll need to play your saved recording & record on your DVD-R. You won't be able to watch anything else on the DVR while it records. It doesn't use output 2, like Copy to VCR did.
post #2935 of 3339 Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Guide & Info at same time when off = Resolution setup

BUT you don't get "pass-through" or conversion options. Just enable/disable each resolution.
post #2936 of 3339 Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Guide & Info at same time when off = Resolution setup

BUT you don't get "pass-through" or conversion options. Just enable/disable each resolution.

I know it is a major failure of iGuide. It forces you to pick a resolution. I want the content in the source format that is produced by the network. With all the effort that went it it they really screwed up some things.
post #2937 of 3339 Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

L Supreme and ctsooner thanks for your replies regarding the "Copy to VCR" feature. Sounds like I'll just have to play them at night while they copy to the DVD-R.

Thanks
Legairre

post #2938 of 3339 Old 10-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Searched around the forums, but really couldn't find an answer.

Question for those of you who switched from Comcast to DirectTV.
I'm assuming most of you use comcast's internet (and not DSL), so I'm wondering does directv route the wiring into the same wiring that you already had?

I have no desire for them to add more wiring into the walls, especially since when the house was built 10 years ago, it was wired rather uniquely (when we moved here a year ago, the Comcast tech couldn't even figure out what was done because the original builders had some serious custom wiring!). I read on some other site they use a splitter and the internet/dish signals are basically seperated by their frequencies, so the same wiring is used. Being a 2fl house as well, we definately DO NOT want any wiring outside with the exception of the wiring from the dish to the box, which must not be visible.
post #2939 of 3339 Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapix View Post

Searched around the forums, but really couldn't find an answer.

Question for those of you who switched from Comcast to DirectTV.
I'm assuming most of you use comcast's internet (and not DSL), so I'm wondering does directv route the wiring into the same wiring that you already had?

I went down this route, too. My wife and I absolutely love DirecTV since we dumped Comcast in the Branford area. Yes, you can get them to use the old wiring. You need to make sure to tell them to use a SWM, also called a Multi-Switch, when they do the install. Otherwise, every box needs to have it's own line going to it. If you opt in for the multi-room DVR service (they charge an extra install fee and monthly service), they'll be forced to install using the multi-switch.
post #2940 of 3339 Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm in Simsbury and both HD and "regular" CBS and Fox are very blurry. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page