AVS Forum banner

Greenwood, MS - HDTV

31K views 167 replies 20 participants last post by  Justin Wyatt 
#1 ·
WABG-DT in Greenwood-Greenville Mississippi is now on-air for testing..

The native RF channel is 32, and should show up as 6-1..

Please post any questions or comments here..

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/12527883

Super Bowl? What's that?

A bad halftime show between two halves of football, lol.

Still it can be an interesting game some years, although for quality football the NFC and AFC Conference Championship games are typically better football games.

#78 ·
For those stuck on cable in the area w/o NFL network, the NFL has decided to air a simulcast of the game via NBC, and CBS. In the G/G market, the western portions (Chiot County, AR, Washington Co MS) will be able to watch via KTVE-DT (27) NBC on Saturday. Those people that can receive a OTA signal from WJTV-DT (52) Jackson will be able to watch via CBS.

E* (dish network) will carry the game on NFL Network (SD channel, for all subs, HD for those w/the HD package).

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/12522295

For those in the G/G market, what are the plans for watching the Superbowl:

A) Watch OTA via WABG 6-2 SDTV?

B) Attempt to pull in a neighboring station (such as WBDB-DT Jackson or KLRT-DT Little Rock, AR) if living near the edge of another market?

C) Watch it in HDTV via D* DNS (WNYW New York)?

D) Drive to a buddy near Jackson, Memphis or Little Rock that has HDTV?

E) Suffer and watch on analog cable?

I remember when WDBD went WB and Jackson had no Fox affiliate. The Super Bowl was on Fox the next year; talk about an uproar! All the local affiliates were getting angry calls from OTA viewers. I was one of the lucky ones with D*.

BTW, my mother-in-law in Belzoni got an HDTV for Christmas, and of course I was the one to hook it up. You can see the Ch 6 and 23 towers out her back window, so rabbit ears worked great. The HD channels are a bit compressed, but it's miles ahead of analog. The Delta has come a long way! I had no idea about 6-2; I wondered why D* had denied her Fox DNS.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC /forum/post/12617828

I remember when WDBD went WB and Jackson had no Fox affiliate. The Super Bowl was on Fox the next year; talk about an uproar! All the local affiliates were getting angry calls from OTA viewers. I was one of the lucky ones with D*.

BTW, my mother-in-law in Belzoni got an HDTV for Christmas, and of course I was the one to hook it up. You can see the Ch 6 and 23 towers out her back window, so rabbit ears worked great. The HD channels are a bit compressed, but it's miles ahead of analog. The Delta has come a long way! I had no idea about 6-2; I wondered why D* had denied her Fox DNS.

D* is denying Fox now in the Delta? That's a shame. It is still listed on their website (at least for Grenada zip codes) as qualifying for DNS.

Do you know if she qualifies for any other DNSes? It's a shame that WABG-DT is so spotty here (the analog is almost nonexistant). OTA I can't get anything else digital except for PBS from Oxford. CBS from Cleveland and Columbus are hopeless and of course, WTVA will apparently never go HD...

ABC aside, this is network HD Hell.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/12625393

Do you know if she qualifies for any other DNSes? It's a shame that WABG-DT is so spotty here (the analog is almost nonexistant).

Strangely enough, E* considers it in the Jackson DMA. I've told her she could "move" her D* to Jackson. However, she gets a great signal from WABG-DT, so she's happy with 6-2.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC /forum/post/12617828

BTW, my mother-in-law in Belzoni got an HDTV for Christmas, and of course I was the one to hook it up. You can see the Ch 6 and 23 towers out her back window, so rabbit ears worked great.

Being in Belzoni, you could put up an outdoor antenna, even a small one, and be able to receive WJTV-DT, and WDBD-DT..Belzoni is within the coverage area for most of the Jackson stations... Even WAPT-DT would be receivable, not sure about WLBT, though...they are whispering on RF Channel 9... barely able to pick it up in Brandon, or that was my experience last year

Plus, installing that antenna could score you a few points with the mother in-law , lol

#83 ·
I'm new to this forum and to DTV. All of the "local Channel" discussion is very familiar. After having been assured by DTV and a third party retailer that I would receive "local channels" I took the plunge and switched from cable to DTV. As you all know I am now trying to find an OTA solution.

My mother lives just 15 miles from me and receives all Jackson channels on DISH. Hoping to get some feedback from people in Greenwood on antenna reception and type of antenna used.

#84 ·
Doug Smith, W9WI of the WTFDA list reported this morning that MPN had applied to the FCC to power down the signal of WMAO-23 analog Greenwood.

This will allow WMAO-DT to increase power to its full capacity since the transmitters share a common transmission line. Once completed, WMAO's digital coverage area will exceed that of the current analog coverage.

I have pulled up the proposed coverage map for WMAO-DT , it looks promising for those in SE Arkansas that can receive KETZ-DT or KETS-DT but looking for more HD programming (although, the limited AETN HDTV programming looks great w/o mulitcasting but its only 3-5 hrs per week). It would be great though to catch some of the MPB original programming in a digital format up this way (If only KVTN would shut down analog on 25 ).

#85 ·
The HD programming off WMAV in Oxford looks a lot better than it used to, but is a far cry from the beautiful stuff that comes off of dedicated HD channels.

WMAO will probably look worse; whereas WMAV has 3 digital channels fulltime (2 SD, 1 HD), WMAO seems to have 4, according to the program guide on my DirecTV receiver.

I'm sure one channel is HD, one is MPB SD and one is Create. Does anyone know what that fourth channel might be?

It'll be interesting to see if I can snag WMAO from here in Grenada; WMAV is hit or miss (mostly miss since I moved my antenna 5 inches.)

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/12965914

WABG among ABC stations fined by the Federal Cleavege Checkers (FCC) for "indecent" content---*five* years after the alleged incidnet.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=136607

That's odd. All the other articles I've read about the fine said it was relegated to just the ABC O&O's in the Central and Mountain time zones. Have they extended it to all ABC affiliated stations?

#88 ·
Monday night, noticed via analog WMAO that MPB will be decreasing power levels on three MPB analog transmitter sites including WMAO 23 Greenwood. Once MPB increases power for WMAO-DT its coverage area according to coverage maps I've seen from the FCC will indicate a increase in WMAO's coverage area. Nearly all of Desha County AR and all of Chiot County AR will be in footprint of WMAO-DT (25)

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/13914046

Monday night, noticed via analog WMAO that MPB will be decreasing power levels on three MPB analog transmitter sites including WMAO 23 Greenwood. Once MPB increases power for WMAO-DT its coverage area according to coverage maps I've seen from the FCC will indicate a increase in WMAO's coverage area. Nearly all of Desha County AR and all of Chiot County AR will be in footprint of WMAO-DT (25)

Did they happen to say when exactly it would occur? The video only mentions WMPN in Jackson.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/13928614

Did they happen to say when exactly it would occur? The video only mentions WMPN in Jackson.

According to this press release
Bude and Greenwood are the next scheduled to transition. Yesterday morning, I was unable to receive WMPN 29 during some tropo ducting while WDBD 40 WUFX 35, WLBT 3 (of course), and even WMAW 14 Meridian were in. If WMAO's digital coverage is close to that of WABG-DT then areas from Dumas AR to the SE should be able to receive MPB DTV consistently.

Edit: Found a Clarion-Ledger article on the analog power reduction, mainly discussed WMPN, but WMAO is targeted about mid August

#91 ·
Last word I've gotten about WXVT is that they are going to flash cut to 15 for their final DTV instead of building out full power for ch17. The bad news is that WXVT will be SD for most of this year at least.

I can't get WABG over here due to hills/ridge east of me and that KARK-DT Little Rock also on ch32 is strong enough to lock 24/7. Hopefully after analog KVTN 25 is gone, I might be able to lock WMAO-DT in the evenings.

#92 ·
For whatever reason, I can't get even a blip of WXVT's digital signal. Analog isn't much better.

Seems like it should be a doable catch because I hear some public safety stuff from Bolivar County easily, and I seem to get into their 2m repeater decently. I've even briefly gotten a readable pic from the little channel 11 in Webb. But WXVT is just too weak.

On edit, I see the low power temp digital WXVT has up is in Greenville. No wonder I can't get it. :doh:

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by richllewis /forum/post/15760923

For all of you who don't know, WABG-TV is going ahead and transitioning to digital on Feb 17. No news yet about WXVT.

WABG (ch 32 DTV) has been broadcasting DTV since October 2005. I used to receive them over here imost evenings and mornings in western Lincoln County Arkansas until KARK-DT (32) Little Rock AR went full power on March 17, 2006.

WXVT has yet to complete their transistion...WXVT-DT is very low power on channel 17 they were planning on "flash cutting" but I'm sure that the the new deadline will allow them some time and since the FCC wants one station in each market to stay analog until 6/12 its very likely 'XVT will stay analog until June. However, from what I understand that HDTV will not arrive at the time WXVT goes full power DTV---that will arrive sometime this fall or next year.

The expression "transistiong to digital" is a bit of a pet peeve since nearly all stations have been broadcasting DTV in one form or another for the past 4-5 years (some longer in some markets). The only ones not at this point are those given a waiver (such as little KXGN channel 5 in Glendive MT in the smallest market in the US #210) or those without a digital companion channel (examples: KEJB channel 43 El Dorado AR, KVTJ channel 48 Jonesboro, AR).

Today over here in AR the Little Rock based VTN (Religious) is flash cutting two stations (KVTH 26 and KVTJ 48)...and shutting down their analog flagship--KVTN channel 25 Pine Bluff which blocks out reception of WMAO-DT 25 ("23-n") over here and in the NW fringes of their SE Arkansas coverage area. I hope to get a lock occasionally on WMAO-DT in the evenings since our public TV here (AETN) has been less than stellar.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/15774821

The expression "transistiong to digital" is a bit of a pet peeve since nearly all stations have been broadcasting DTV in one form or another for the past 4-5 years (some longer in some markets). .

No crap! We have been digital here in Charlottte since 1999..and WABG was the last station we put on line..

#96 ·
I don't know if you have noticed WABG.com. They have on their web site on the first page that they are transitioning on Feb 17th. Also, on Rabbitears.info that WXVT has a notice of analog termination with the FCC stating that they are transitioning on Feb 17th. Also on Rabbitears.info MPB has a notice of termination of analog signal so MPB is transitioning on Feb 17th on all its TV outlets.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by richllewis /forum/post/15783111

I don't know if you have noticed WABG.com. They have on their web site on the first page that they are transitioning on Feb 17th. Also, on Rabbitears.info that WXVT has a notice of analog termination with the FCC stating that they are transitioning on Feb 17th. Also on Rabbitears.info MPB has a notice of termination of analog signal so MPB is transitioning on Feb 17th on all its TV outlets.

All three of Greenwood/Greenville's full power licensed stations have filed termination notices....

I didn't mention WXVT until I saw the notice of termination. I checked those late last night and early this morning.

Barring any FCC intervention, there won't be any analog signals in that area save for translator K42CY channel 42 Greenville , a TBN owned relayer and a couple of Grenada LPTVs/translators.

KTVE 10 El Dorado AR is also terminating analog. The closest major network stations that will remain analog post 2/17 near Greenwood/Greenville are in Jackson (ie, WLBT ch 3) and Memphis (WREG 3, WHBQ 13).

The only full strength Little Rock broadcaster remaining in analog mode will be KTHV 11 (CBS), and KATV 7 on its low power signal---both transmit from Shinall Mtn in west Little Rock. KARK 4, KLRT 16, and KASN 38 will go silent next week.

WABG-DT and WMAO-DT already are at full power, WXVT will flash cut on ch 15, from their "QRP rig" on ch17.

WABG-DT is blocked out here because of KARK-DT also on RF 32. WMAO-DT until yesterday was blocked out by analog KVTN 25 Pine Bluff. Eastern parts of my county (the flat Delta-farming area) will be able to receive all three G/G DTV's, its DX here due to hills and a ridge running from Star City to Monticello AR.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/15788947

I was under the impression they were on-air, but with low power. Was Feb 5 supposed to be the day they increased power or something?

I had the GM from WXVT as my presentation at Greenwood Lions Jan 23, 2009.

At that time, they expected to start Broadcasting DTV on Ch 15 on Feb 5th They are in a hard place, as the channel they will broadcast DTV and their Analog channel are the same frequency. This means they do not co-exist well, they need a hard cutoff/startup date. And now the .GOV is waffling on them. Those stations that got/chose a different Digital channel can co-exist digital/analog more easily.

Their antenna is near Boyle, even folks in Cleveland can't get the temporary Digital Ch 17 signal, it is that weak, and exists to comply with the law.

#101 ·
The FCC has spoken for Greenwood-Greenville. It seems that Channel 6 (WABG) and 15 (WXVT) were not told to go ahead and they were not approved by the FCC because of public service concerns. It seems unless they can prove economic hardship that Channel 6 and 15 may be required to run their stations until June 12th unless they can convince the FCC that they will comply with certain conditions as outlined by the FCC. the conditions are outlined in the following pdf file

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...FCC-09-7A1.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.