AVS Forum banner

Greenwood, MS - HDTV

31K views 167 replies 20 participants last post by  Justin Wyatt 
#1 ·
WABG-DT in Greenwood-Greenville Mississippi is now on-air for testing..

The native RF channel is 32, and should show up as 6-1..

Please post any questions or comments here..

See less See more
#128 ·
I live in Greenville, MS and I am new to this forum so thanks for the info that has been provided here. I noticed that DISH says they provide locals for this market buts its only WXVT and KARK out of Little Rock as well as some PBS stations..whats the deal with that..too me thats not locals.. any news on the other? DTV says 2011 for locals. Good to hear we are getting our own NBC affiliate. Can't wait for that to happen.

Mart

#129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martdude /forum/post/18947150

I live in Greenville, MS and I am new to this forum so thanks for the info that has been provided here. I noticed that DISH says they provide locals for this market buts its only WXVT and KARK out of Little Rock as well as some PBS stations..whats the deal with that..too me thats not locals.. any news on the other? DTV says 2011 for locals. Good to hear we are getting our own NBC affiliate. Can't wait for that to happen.

Mart

Yeah, I don't understand why KARK out of Little Rock gets picked as the Delta's NBC affiliate by Dish unless the spot beam that covers the market doesn't carry WMC or WLBT. It doesn't make any sense and I doubt any cable companies or people with antennas can get KARK at all.

Dunno why the package wouldn't include WABG, I guess they are playing hardball or something. Luckily it's the easiest channel to get for free over the air and the only one that shows network programming in HD.

#131 ·
See not much action going on in here. Dont know if anyone noticed the drastic change in the pic quality of wxvt this weekend. It was so much light and day diff i thought at first it was a HD feed. Called the engineer today and he stated they have new eq and the pic quality was a result of a pure digital signal. Also stated that as soon as this weekend they may start to test the CBS HD feed.

#132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30 /forum/post/19187439

See not much action going on in here. Dont know if anyone noticed the drastic change in the pic quality of wxvt this weekend. It was so much light and day diff i thought at first it was a HD feed. Called the engineer today and he stated they have new eq and the pic quality was a result of a pure digital signal. Also stated that as soon as this weekend they may start to test the CBS HD feed.

That's great news, thanks for posting!

To answer miklk1973's question, WNBD-LD is going to be the new NBC affiliate for the Delta. There was a blurb a while back on WABG's news ( story ) about them building out the permit. It's going to air from the WABG tall tower but will be low power so it won't cover much more than Greenwood, Greenville and Cleveland. Looks like Grenada will be just out of reach. Oh well, I can't get WXVT either except on very rare occasions.

There was also a follow-up story about modernizing the Fox and ABC plants, so maybe we'll be out of the 1970's soon. The PQ on these Delta stations has been, historically, subpar.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/19187678

To answer miklk1973's question, WNBD-LD is going to be the new NBC affiliate for the Delta. There was a blurb a while back on WABG's news ( story ) about them building out the permit.

That doesn't really answer his question, which was about W17DI-D, not WNBD-LD.

- Trip

#134 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19187799

That doesn't really answer his question, which was about W17DI-D, not WNBD-LD.

- Trip

*smacks forehead*

Well, I'm a dummy. Guess I thought they were one in the same. No idea what they're gonna do with channel 17. Maybe put on the CW? They could always offload Fox to its own channel, to bring it in HD.

#136 ·
Programming is BB12 in SDTV.

And WXVT still cannot pass the HD feed to the transmitter yet as I"ve observed, I did a A/B comparison with a promo in HD airing on KTHV and WXVT and the one on KTHV was HD.

Hopefully CBS viewers will soon be able to see their programming in the Delta in full HDTV.

#137 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/19197673

Programming is BB12 in SDTV.

And WXVT still cannot pass the HD feed to the transmitter yet as I"ve observed, I did a A/B comparison with a promo in HD airing on KTHV and WXVT and the one on KTHV was HD.

Hopefully CBS viewers will soon be able to see their programming in the Delta in full HDTV.

The word I heard was by this weekend, barring any complications.

#138 ·
I seldom watch WXVT here due to its weak signal/no HDTV but once it goes HD for CBS programming that could change on nights with favorable wx. I'll keep a lookout over the weekend.

I'm 30mi W-NW of Dumas AR

#139 ·
WXVT now serving CBS Programming In HDTV with NO SUBCHANNELS. Observed less than an hour ago, signal here is too weak for viewing w/o enhancements but it came up for air briefly. "WXVT-SD" is still displaying in the PSIP but its a full 1080i as observed on another TV. Screenshots received via Zenith converter box, and CBS "bug" is in the 4x3 "safe" area.

#140 ·
Yea the engineer said they would be testing as soon as this weekend. I first noticed the diff with the digital sd feed this past weekend, like i stated earlier it was so much better than the old stuff during the nfl this past weekend i thought at first it was the hd feed but it wasnt

#141 ·
Letterman's in now in full HD. I live too far away though for a reliable signal for daily, regular viewing.

Glad you guys can finally get CBS shows/sports in HD over there.

#142 ·
...CBS's The Early Show is in HD or was the HD programming on Friday night just a fluke and "testing". Early Show via WXVT is in 480i 4x3 SDTV.

Not a good way to start off with the HDTV era of WXVT.

#144 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/19216368

I thought they were testing HD this weekend, not starting airing all programming in HD.

- Trip

WXVT is just NOW getting into the 1st Wave of HD (CBS Network programming), not syndicated fare (2nd Wave), nor local news (3rd Wave). I think its perhaps an oversight of the MCO's at WXVT in the morning. Since 'XVT has an anemic power level/tower height, I can't monitor/watch 24/7 here except early mornings or at night after nighttime tropo scatter cranks up. I'll keep an eye on things, however there is still a learning curve that at most stations was learned years ago.

#145 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/19218004

WXVT is just NOW getting into the 1st Wave of HD (CBS Network programming), not syndicated fare (2nd Wave), nor local news (3rd Wave). I think its perhaps an oversight of the MCO's at WXVT in the morning. Since 'XVT has an anemic power level/tower height, I can't monitor/watch 24/7 here except early mornings or at night after nighttime tropo scatter cranks up. I'll keep an eye on things, however there is still a learning curve that at most stations was learned years ago.

No, no, you're missing my point. Read the bolded part of david30's message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30 /forum/post/19207982

Yea the engineer said they would be testing as soon as this weekend.

The weekend shows may have just been tests at this point with full-time network HD to come later.

- Trip

#146 ·
They must be doing some pretty extensive testing, as I saw some CBS HD prime time programming this (Monday) evening while up in the attic tweaking my antenna.

I had to back down the amp a few notches because it was getting overloaded again. It went through a phase a while back where the same thing happened, then it mysteriously quit. It's a cheapo antenna though so I expect less than stellar performance.

No matter what, I could not get WXVT down in the house. Up in the attic, for aiming purposes, I have one of those Channel Master DTV converter boxes hooked up to a freebie DVD portable player. The CM box sees channels the TV and DirecTV AM-21 don't even register. I get about 100% on the CM for WABG and WTVA but 68 and 80 respectively on the AM-21. It gets WXVT with a whopping 20 and nothing at all downstairs on the real TV. But the CM WILL decode it fine at 20%. Still no hint of WCBI or WLOV for some reason, and this go-around I've lost the two PBS stations again, with 0% from each.

Such is life. I don't watch CBS programming but would like an alternative for Delta news over WABG. Their PQ is horrendous and newscasts are boring, with lots of re-used footage.

#147 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/19220829

They must be doing some pretty extensive testing, as I saw some CBS HD prime time programming this (Monday) evening while up in the attic tweaking my antenna.

I had to back down the amp a few notches because it was getting overloaded again. It went through a phase a while back where the same thing happened, then it mysteriously quit. It's a cheapo antenna though so I expect less than stellar performance.

No matter what, I could not get WXVT down in the house. Up in the attic, for aiming purposes, I have one of those Channel Master DTV converter boxes hooked up to a freebie DVD portable player. The CM box sees channels the TV and DirecTV AM-21 don't even register. I get about 100% on the CM for WABG and WTVA but 68 and 80 respectively on the AM-21. It gets WXVT with a whopping 20 and nothing at all downstairs on the real TV. But the CM WILL decode it fine at 20%. Still no hint of WCBI or WLOV for some reason, and this go-around I've lost the two PBS stations again, with 0% from each.

Such is life. I don't watch CBS programming but would like an alternative for Delta news over WABG. Their PQ is horrendous and newscasts are boring, with lots of re-used footage.

WXVT SDTV picture quality is nothing to write home about. No worse though than KATV Little Rock which is as bad as it gets in my local market for a Big 4.

I've not seen WABG news in digital form since since March 16, 2006 when KARK Little Rock AR went full power. I'm on the west side of the ridges near Star City and that blocks out the stations from the East. I get KARK very well and only during extreme tropo ducting will I even get a sniff from WABG (the two signals usually clash on RF 32 during a strong opening when pointed @ Inverness.). The WABG website is horrible, and WXVT's isn't much better, as if nothing gets updated from Thursday to Monday it seems.

Both WABG and WXVT are directional antenna systems, WABG to protect KARK, and WXVT just reused its old analog transmitter/tower and channel assignment. The Delta is a shoehorned no-man's land television market and its viewers for the most part are those that cannot get Memphis, Little Rock, Monroe LA, Jackson, or Tupelo.

#148 ·
WABG's newscast looks exactly like it did in the analog days, just on a digital carrier. Lots of noise in the picture, poor color balance, poor white balance, poor everything, really. Just like WXVT before their upgrades.

I found it interesting that both WXVT and WABG looked exactly the same OTA as on cable. It's not the cable signal that's weak and snowy, it's the picture they're delivering to the headends that's bad!

I guess I'm just spoiled because I was raised on Birmingham television and they have always seemed to be a bit more upscale than their market number would lead one to think. All but the ABC affiliate and the This TV Tuscaloosa station have gone HD for newscasts already. I don't expect Delta stations to be doing HD newscasts for the three people who can see that, but I do expect better picture quality than a small town LPTV station!

#149 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo /forum/post/19224321

WABG's newscast looks exactly like it did in the analog days, just on a digital carrier. Lots of noise in the picture, poor color balance, poor white balance, poor everything, really. Just like WXVT before their upgrades.

I found it interesting that both WXVT and WABG looked exactly the same OTA as on cable. It's not the cable signal that's weak and snowy, it's the picture they're delivering to the headends that's bad!

I guess I'm just spoiled because I was raised on Birmingham television and they have always seemed to be a bit more upscale than their market number would lead one to think. All but the ABC affiliate and the This TV Tuscaloosa station have gone HD for newscasts already. I don't expect Delta stations to be doing HD newscasts for the three people who can see that, but I do expect better picture quality than a small town LPTV station!

The ABC affiliate in Little Rock has the same corporate owners (Albritton) that run the show for "ABC 33/40" in Alabama. That doesn't bode well for them getting HDTV on their newscasts before I become eligible for AARP.

WXVT did the DTV conversion as cheap as possible, their pre-transition channel (17) made my log ONCE and was minimal coverage. At least they got rid of the "ribbed bars" (herringbone pattern) on one of their cameras on the newscasts which I noticed a few months ago.

Again, I can't speak for WABG PQ these days since their DTV signal is blocked out in my local area. What I wouldn't mind seeing them for is some ABC programming that gets preempted in Little Rock. Perhaps the ancient equipment WABG puts their ABC, FOX, and local news/syndicated programming will get upgraded with the new build-out of WNBD

ps: At least WABG ran 5.1 DD Audio with ABC-HD programming back in 2006 which KATV in 2010 still doesn't.

#151 ·
Tonight is first time in several nights I've been able to see WXVT airing David Letterman. HD Testing appears to be working well. I've not been able to verify anymore since Monday morning about daytime programming while tropo scatter allows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.