AVS Forum banner

Greenwood, MS - HDTV

31K views 167 replies 20 participants last post by  Justin Wyatt 
#1 ·
WABG-DT in Greenwood-Greenville Mississippi is now on-air for testing..

The native RF channel is 32, and should show up as 6-1..

Please post any questions or comments here..

See less See more
#2 ·
How much power is being run. Is it at full power yet or on limited power. And is it broadcasting full time as of yet.

I'm in western Lincoln County Arkansas with a channel master 4228 and a preamp.

#3 ·
You're basically outside of the predicted coverage area, but may be able to get it on a good day due to terrain, however there may be interference from Ch32 in Little Rock.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe /forum/post/0

You're basically outside of the predicted coverage area, but may be able to get it on a good day due to terrain, however there may be interference from Ch32 in Little Rock.

Not likely, KARK-DT (ch 32 //with ch 4) is very low power. I'm more likely to receive WMC DT (52) from Memphis or KYTV DT (44) from Springfield, MO if I get any NBC programming via DTV. (BTW, KWBF DT 44 Little Rock just started an even lower power station, it barely covers downtown Little Rock from some reports). I receive KATV DT 22 (not as low power, but directional) but due being on the back lobe of the station's signal pattern and favorable geography and lack of foliage nearby can get it.

I'll keep checking.....would be nice to get WABG as my first DTV from Miss.

#5 ·
Finally got WABG-DT this evening. Caught most of the 10pm newscast and the part of Nightline before losing the lock. Question, is WABG passing any HD programming as I caught the station after primetime programming and being out of the normal coverage area.

#6 ·
Haley, WABG should be passing ALL of the ABC network HD programming.. If not, please let us know. Also, If you would, please pm me exact address and coords so we can put you on the map..

What antenna config and tuner are you using?

Thanks!

#7 ·
Bob,

My setup is very simple at this time. Using a small VHF log periodic for 2-13, and the CM 4228 for 14 and above. Both antennas are connected by equal lenghs of 300 ohm twin lead into a CM Spartan (3041) preamp. RG-6 completes the trip inside. Antenna height is 20ft (cm 4228 is about at 15ft level) mounted on outbuilding with no rotor. (array is hand-turned as needed).

Receiver is a Radio Shack Accurian, and the TV is a Panasonic 26-CTWX15. I also have a US digital STB, but the RS box outputs seperate analog audio and video to another source ( I use a DVD recorder to make recordings).

Since I don't have a GPS, i'll try to locate my exact lat and long.

H.

#8 ·
At last saw actual HD programming from WABG, since conditions weren't favorable this far west for Dick Clark (friday), and programming Sunday night (would have been nice to see InJustice since my "local" abc station prempted it for a meaningless Razorback BB game). Tuesday nights Orange Bowl came in for a while and did a comparison of PQ with KATV-DT. Pretty much the same. However, noticed that 6-1 was passing DD 5.1
. Only one of our local stations, KLRT-DT (FOX) passes DD 5.1.

I do hope WABG isn't as premption happy/reactionary as they were in 1994 when I last watched them with some regularity (lived at Monticello, AR at the time).

#9 ·
Since the last post, KARK-DT 32 Little Rock, AR increased to full power and added HD. Prior to that would occationally get a useable signal on WABG-DT.

A few questions:

Any word on WXVT increasing power and adding HD. I can get the analog signal (very weakly), and sometimes WMAO analog.

Any cable systems in the GG DMA carring HD locals from Jackson, Memphis, etc

H.

neighbor in nearby Little Rock DMA

#10 ·
Good news for Greenwood. Granted, it isn't HD, but for those looking to pick up a FOX signal OTA - this should bridge the gap until HD becomes available.

Quote:
September 6, 2006

For Immediate Release:

Bahakel Communications, Ltd., owners and operators of WABG-TV, the ABC Affiliate, and WABG Radio in Greenwood, will also begin offering local service of the Fox Broadcasting Company (FOX) over the air and on cable effective Wednesday, September 13, 2006, according to an announcement by Sherry Nelson, Vice President and General Manager of both stations.

We are very pleased and excited to be able to offer the outstanding lineup of FOX entertainment and sports programming to our loyal viewers and advertisers, she said, especially since the FOX Net programming service was no longer going to be available on cable systems throughout our coverage area after September 12.

Nelson said that WABG has just completed a $1.3m installation of a new digital transmission facility that currently broadcasts the ABC Television Network in HD on digital channel 6.1 in addition to its regular analog service on Channel 6.

Due to the advanced capabilities of WABG's new digital transmitter, it is now possible for us to broadcast additional programming on a second digital channel. In this case, the FOX will be able to be viewed over the air on the Delta's most powerful digital station on digital channel 6.2 with an outside antenna connected to a new digital television set and if you have cable, Fox will not move. You can see it on the same channel where you've enjoyed it in the past.

She added cable viewers will not be required to own a new digital set in order to receive the Fox programming because the cable systems have the ability to convert the digital over the air signal to a regular analog signal on the cable channel. We are delighted to be able to work with our cable partners to be able to bring these popular FOX sports events and entertainment programs to the region.

Initially, WABG-DT will be operating with a temporary installation from its transmitter site and will be limited in its local program offerings including newscasts. We have not determined what new newscasts or other community programs we will be able to do right away but we are more focused on providing the FOX programming, Nelson said.

- 2 -

Simply getting FOX on the air required an incredibly fast and creative effort by our technical people who are currently working around the clock to make the goal of being on the air on September 13. As soon as we are comfortable with the temporary' technical set up and know that it is operating reliably we will begin work on a permanent' installation at our studios in Greenville.

We anticipate this process will take approximately six to eight months since we will have to do some construction work to make room for an expanded master control area for the FOX equipment as well as ordering and installing all new equipment. As soon as all of the technical work is completed we will begin a new news service with at least one newscast at 9 PM. We will also roll out additional new programs throughout the broadcast day over the course of the next few months thereafter.

John Hookstratten, Executive Vice President of Fox Network Distribution, said that FOX is very pleased with the relationship that we enjoy with Bahakel. We know what excellent operators they are and what a good job they will do for us in Greenwood/Greenville.

The move to digital broadcasting has been mandated by Congress and beginning in February, 2009 all analog broadcasting will cease and only digital signals will be available.

Bahakel Communications, Ltd. owns and operates five other television stations in addition to WABG-TV in Charlotte, NC; Montgomery, Ala; Jackson, TN; Columbia, SC; and Myrtle Beach, SC; and radio stations in Waterloo, Iowa; Colorado Springs, Col; Chattanooga, TN; in addition to WABG.

#11 ·
I'll be the first to prefer no mulitcasting on stations broadcasting HD, but since WABG was multicasting this winter (6.2 // with WABG analog), and sending the ABC 720p video, there shouldn't be that much loss in quality. Plus having FOX OTA will get a few more in the area to go OTA and stir interest in HD.

....And get WXVT off the fence with digital and HDTV.

My only fear is that this action may put in jeopardy those getting FOX (SD) via DNS via D* or E*. This *should* not effect the HD DNS signals.

#12 ·
Just checking to see if there is anyone in the Greenville-Indianola area that has HD OTA on this board, and can get additional channels besides WABG-DT and WMAO-DT.

#13 ·
I've not seen WABG in months (when KARK Little Rock, AR went full power). Can you get them Keith and if so what NFL games are showing up on the Fox subchannel.

The full power KTVE-DT (RF ch 27 under construction) should bring Greenville (Washington County) NBC OTA. Not sure if the signal will make it to Sunflower or LeFlore counties.

Most probally can get Jackson DT's south of Greenwood if i'm correct.

#14 ·
I've checked various addresses on antennaweb around the Greenville/Hollandale/Indianola/Belzoni area..and WLBT-DT was listed on 90% of the zipcodes and addresses I used. They on on RF channel 9, which is VHF, but IMO, CH 9 is a much better choice for digital than CH 7...(ex KNOE
) For me, WMPN has been the strongest digital from that area... on paper, WJTV is the strongest, with WLBT having the smallest coverage area. And I think antennaweb still has a lot of stations listed as low power.. they need to update their database!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley-SEA /forum/post/0

I've not seen WABG in months (when KARK Little Rock, AR went full power). Can you get them Keith and if so what NFL games are showing up on the Fox subchannel.

I haven't receieved WABG-DT from my location (probably due to KARK-DT). WABG's FOX subchannel is currently on the air from 5PM until the games are over. They're in the process of getting some syndicated programming to fill the schedule 24/7, and their master control for FOX is at their transmitter site in Inverness... they're suppose to have it moved to the main studios within six months..

#21 ·
The PQ on KTVE-HD will most likely be superior to WLBT's... because WLBT has The Tube on one subchannel, while NBC WeatherPlus is on another. I have also read that WLBT does a poor job of switching to HD when they are suppose to.

#22 ·
I put the coverage maps up to give those in the Greenville area an idea of what to expect OTA....and its pretty grim. I'm sure the HD sets in that area are using DNS for most of the network programming.

WXVT (and KOLR in Missouri) must be the only 2 CBS stations that I can recall not being HD.

#23 ·
According to the chief engineer at WABG, WXVT-DT barely reaches downtown Greenville... and if you notice in the FCC records, in addition to WXVT lowering their power for full-power DT, they are also decreasing their analog power... but from the looks of the new analog coverage map, it has a better reception area... maybe because it's omidirectional? At least Greenville has two channels that broadcast in HD everyday... here in El Dorado, it's really just the very few HD programs on AETN... and I think it's just pure luck that I can get KMSS-DT on an evening to evening basis! KNOE-DT reception is a joke from here.... I have yet to catch a night of dropout free reception...that is, when the signal actually makes it here.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAR2002 /forum/post/0

According to the chief engineer at WABG, WXVT-DT barely reaches downtown Greenville... and if you notice in the FCC records, in addition to WXVT lowering their power for full-power DT, they are also decreasing their analog power... but from the looks of the new analog coverage map, it has a better reception area... maybe because it's omidirectional? At least Greenville has two channels that broadcast in HD everyday... here in El Dorado, it's really just the very few HD programs on AETN... and I think it's just pure luck that I can get KMSS-DT on an evening to evening basis! KNOE-DT reception is a joke from here.... I have yet to catch a night of dropout free reception...that is, when the signal actually makes it here.

I have been watching the board for the last several months so I have now decided to join in. WXVT is only DT, they dont broadcast HD and as I understand have no intention to do so in the short term. WABG DT is good though as they have all the ABC HDs including Sports. I also receive FOX DT and PBS DT and HD. I talked with KTVES enginneer who verified that the new signal will reach Sunflower quite a ways from here. Tried a preamp no success maybe because im in the city limits, but im going to get a jointenna to see if i can take my old antenna and point it towards Little Rock as I like Razorback basketball.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgville /forum/post/0

I have been watching the board for the last several months so I have now decided to join in. WXVT is only DT, they dont broadcast HD and as I understand have no intention to do so in the short term. WABG DT is good though as they have all the ABC HDs including Sports. I also receive FOX DT and PBS DT and HD. I talked with KTVES enginneer who verified that the new signal will reach Sunflower quite a ways from here. Tried a preamp no success maybe because im in the city limits, but im going to get a jointenna to see if i can take my old antenna and point it towards Little Rock as I like Razorback basketball.

Hey david,

Do you receive FOX in HD, or is it the SD feed on WABG 6.2? And have ever been able to get anything digital from Jackson?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.