Hartford, CT - Cox - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2320 Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen a few games on Mojo, was couple weeks ago, either the team they shown is out of the playoff's i think i saw a commercial the other day promoting hockey from the vs channel.
My son is a big Shark's fan, he was disappointed they lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2320 Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ill have to eat crow on that one. Tonight's game was on. Hockey looks great in HD!
post #453 of 2320 Old 05-13-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

This morning all the digital channels are gone, rebooted the box, still gone, checked on my other dvr, the same, the local hd channels work thou, anyone else?
post #454 of 2320 Old 05-13-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

This morning all the digital channels are gone, rebooted the box, still gone, checked on my other dvr, the same, the local hd channels work thou, anyone else?

I got the same problem on my cable cards. Looks like they rearranged some channels last night and box controller is having problem updating all the boxes.
post #455 of 2320 Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

Looks like most are back. Some of my HBO stations are not. I get audio but no picture.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #456 of 2320 Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

seems to be ok now, i did a quick scan thru, didnt see any changes and the firmware and passport software still the same.
Maybe this was the reported earlier removal of analog hbo?
post #457 of 2320 Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM

I just picked up my hd box from cox today. I thought the hd channels other than the premiums were free, but for some reason i cant get discovery hd, tnt, mojo, espn1 and 2, etc. It just says i have to subscribe. All the locals are coming through, but none of those are. Did i read something wrong or do i need to subscribe to them...

btw i have basic, expanded basic, digital, sports and info , and discovery tiers i believe. Thanks for the help.
post #458 of 2320 Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxnkio View Post

I just picked up my hd box from cox today. I thought the hd channels other than the premiums were free, but for some reason i cant get discovery hd, tnt, mojo, espn1 and 2, etc. It just says i have to subscribe. All the locals are coming through, but none of those are. Did i read something wrong or do i need to subscribe to them...

btw i have basic, expanded basic, digital, sports and info , and discovery tiers i believe. Thanks for the help.

Did you init the box by calling Cox support and press the keys for a new install? If not, that could be your problem. If you have done this, I would call Cox support and have them resolve it ... you should get all HD channels except HBO and Showtime if you don't subscribe.

Allen
post #459 of 2320 Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

Did you init the box by calling Cox support and press the keys for a new install? If not, that could be your problem. If you have done this, I would call Cox support and have them resolve it ... you should get all HD channels except HBO and Showtime if you don't subscribe.

I followed the directions for init, where it powered off, got the signal, then waited until the time showed up again. I figured id give it til tomorrow to see if the channels would come through. If not i guess i'll call tomorrow. Thanks!
post #460 of 2320 Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Even though they are free, you need to have Cox add the HD tier channels to your account, so yes, definitely give them a call and they should be able to take care of it immediately.
post #461 of 2320 Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

If you got a brown bag self install package theres a install guide with a 1-800 number that will do it automatically, no need to talk or wait for anyone.
post #462 of 2320 Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox added A&E HD today. It appears on channel 717.
post #463 of 2320 Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

Cox added A&E HD today. It appears on channel 717.

Not here in Cheshire ... where are you located CKNA?

Allen
post #464 of 2320 Old 05-16-2007, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

717 here in enfield area, just a bunch of repeats of CSI, Soprano's ,etc...........
post #465 of 2320 Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 AM

Got it this am. They must have added it last night - wasn't there 11 PM yesterday.

Allen
post #466 of 2320 Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM

does anyone know if cox communications has any plans to add "Fox Sports Net New England (HD)" or "HDnet"?????
post #467 of 2320 Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone here tell me if there are any clear QAM un-encrypted channels for Cox Cable in Meriden, CT?

I'm having a battle with them and they are telling me that I MUST rent their box and I must subscribe to their digital service in order to get the local digital stations.

I'm not looking for HBO or any other premium channels or even HD. Just the few local digitals, of which there are about 10 (OTA)

I'm using an HD Home Run tuner and I DO get some unencrypted channels that are local pay for view and others, but it looks like all the local digital channels may be scrambled. I need someone from this area to put my mind to ease and confirm that they do indeed get the Clear QAM un-encrypted local digital channels. Once I know I'm not crazy I then need to convince Cox. So far they flat out say NO DIGITAL for me. In fact they started going off about how THEY don't even HAVE to provide digital local channels until February 2009. I think they are mis-informed and are talking about the OTA analog phase out to be completed by then which has NOTHING to do with cable service.

Help !!

Rich
post #468 of 2320 Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A View Post

Can anyone here tell me if there are any clear QAM un-encrypted channels for Cox Cable in Meriden, CT?

I'm having a battle with them and they are telling me that I MUST rent their box and I must subscribe to their digital service in order to get the local digital stations.

I'm not looking for HBO or any other premium channels or even HD. Just the few local digitals, of which there are about 10 (OTA)

I'm using an HD Home Run tuner and I DO get some unencrypted channels that are local pay for view and others, but it looks like all the local digital channels may be scrambled. I need someone from this area to put my mind to ease and confirm that they do indeed get the Clear QAM un-encrypted local digital channels. Once I know I'm not crazy I then need to convince Cox. So far they flat out say NO DIGITAL for me. In fact they started going off about how THEY don't even HAVE to provide digital local channels until February 2009. I think they are mis-informed and are talking about the OTA analog phase out to be completed by then which has NOTHING to do with cable service.

Help !!

They do provide local hd channels in clear QAM, but you might not be able to get them all without their box. I have cable internet, but no tv from them. I don't get WCTX or WTNH, but I get all of the other locals in hd with a QAM tuner. Others do get them all. I think it depends on the signal strength where you are. My street doesn't have fiber since the bandwidth was supposedly good enough without it, but I think that has compromised the quality and quantity of the signal.

Chip
post #469 of 2320 Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK GIANTS View Post

does anyone know if cox communications has any plans to add "Fox Sports Net New England (HD)" or "HDnet"?????

Last yr we got NFLNet HD when the games were on then after the season they turned it off.
I dont think Fox NE is even broadcast in HD, HDnet is with i think comcast and i know for sure Dish Network.
post #470 of 2320 Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A View Post

I have Cox's DVR box and subscribe to the digital gateway service (digital service for HD but no additional digital channels). I can receive all HD locals via my QAM tuner. Very often, we will record 2 programs on the DVR and watch a third on the QAM tuner. Cable is split, one feed to the DVR and another to the QAM tuner built-in to my TV.

The HD locals are not encrypted here in Cheshire. I have not found any SD digital channels not encrypted (except some OD neighbors requested) and don't even think Cox offers SD locals digitally yet.

Allen
post #471 of 2320 Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Before i picked up their hd dvr i was able to get all the local hd channels with my qam, but i was a digital subscriber already so that probably made the difference.
post #472 of 2320 Old 05-22-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I must be an idiot. My whole house audio, video, LAN etc distribution was self installed a few years ago. I have security cameras at the front and rear of the house and they are fed into the system with a three channel modulator at channels 93, and 95. I also have a third custom channel that adds my home theater PC's video to the cable distribution so I can watch the HTPC video at any TV in the house that was hooked up to the cable.

Because of that I took pains to insure that those signals did not propagate back out to the street and cause interference to neighbors. I only had analog cable service and didn't need any channel above 90 that was coming down the cable. So a low pass filter was installed to block my 90s channels from going back out to the street.

I'm embarrassed as hell that I forgot about that. Especially since I did all the work myself. My only excuse is I'm getting too old to remember back that far.

Any way, it was easily fixed by changing the first splitter off the input from the street from a two way to a three way and then using the unfiltered third feed to drive the Clear QAM capable tuner. (It's three way to feed my cable modem, normal cable TV and finally the new dedicated line for the new tuner) Whew !

What got me heading in the wrong direction was that Cox was telling me all along that they do NOT broadcast clear QAM signals in CT. This is false and their tech supervisors need some more training. I am now getting about 20 - 25 Clear QAM channels including all the locals. They (Cox service) obviously don't have a clue about what they actually transmit.

I post this in the odd chance it might help someone else in a similar situation. Yeah, I'm an idiot for not looking at the obvious.

But then at least now I'm a happy idiot !!

Rich
post #473 of 2320 Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Last winter i had ESPN-HD and Discovery HD on FREE clear Qam, that ended around Xmas i called many times to see what happened and none of them had a clue!!
post #474 of 2320 Old 05-26-2007, 02:23 PM

is there any chance of getting hdnet. i know their looking to expand

and a lot Celtics games were broadcasted in HD last year, so they do have it i think.

also, we will prolly be getting nflnethd again for the season right?
post #475 of 2320 Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK GIANTS View Post

is there any chance of getting hdnet. i know their looking to expand

and a lot Celtics games were broadcasted in HD last year, so they do have it i think.

also, we will prolly be getting nflnethd again for the season right?

Some Cletics games were put by Cox on INHD.

Judging how slow Cox is adding HD channels, I would not count on them to put HDNET for a long time.
post #476 of 2320 Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM

Has anybody noticed that they have finally upgraded both the Echo and the DVR box Firmware?
Current version is Echo 2.7.044 and TC 16.38.

It happened around 3 am this morning. Woke up to find box off. and when i powered it up for the first time it had a channel sorting guide quick tip. That's what tipped me off that something had changed.

Looks are slightly different and hopefully this will also fix some of the previous issues that have been discussed on this forum. (DVR playback hesitation and drop-outs. )

Thanks COX.
post #477 of 2320 Old 06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be moving to Southington next weekend, and wanted to investigate Cox, and how much I'll be paying, and so forth. Going through Cox's website and going through the ordering process, if I select an HD DVR, it REQUIRES a professional installation, which costs over $50. This seems ridiculous to me, as I've never heard of a cable company allowing you to self-install a cable modem and a standard digital receiver, but not an HD DVR. Someone please tell me that this does not apply here. Thanks.
post #478 of 2320 Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

Has anybody noticed that they have finally upgraded both the Echo and the DVR box Firmware?
Current version is Echo 2.7.044 and TC 16.38.

Thanks COX.

Don't thank them too fast ... we got the update here in Cheshire and tonight the DVR froze on me for about 20 sec then rebooted it's self. After rebooting, it came up to channel 1 and froze there. Nothing would work - could not even reboot by holding the power button - had to unplug it. Since then it has worked but not a good way to start out with the new software. I will wait and see before I thank them.

Allen
post #479 of 2320 Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:

originally posted by...PaulieORF
I will be moving to Southington next weekend, and wanted to investigate Cox, and how much I'll be paying, and so forth. Going through Cox's website and going through the ordering process, if I select an HD DVR, it REQUIRES a professional installation, which costs over $50. This seems ridiculous to me, as I've never heard of a cable company allowing you to self-install a cable modem and a standard digital receiver, but not an HD DVR. Someone please tell me that this does not apply here. Thanks.

You don't need a professional installer to hook this unit up.
If you have any familiarity with hooking up cables it is very simple.
After you hook up all the necessary cables to the unit you simply call Cox and tell them to fire up/initiate the box. It comes with all necessary instructions along with some cables and stuff, if you pick it up at a Cox office. Cox web site also has wiring diagrams to help you hook up cables to all your equipment.
Don't pay......very simple......save your 50 dollars and go buy some beer and pizza and enjoy your new HDTV service.
post #480 of 2320 Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

You don't need a professional installer to hook this unit up.
If you have any familiarity with hooking up cables it is very simple.
After you hook up all the necessary cables to the unit you simply call Cox and tell them to fire up/initiate the box. It comes with all necessary instructions along with some cables and stuff, if you pick it up at a Cox office. Cox web site also has wiring diagrams to help you hook up cables to all your equipment.
Don't pay......very simple......save your 50 dollars and go buy some beer and pizza and enjoy your new HDTV service.

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

Also, do you or anyone else know the best way to get a good deal for a new customer from Cox? Obviously I cannot order through their website, since it will not let me order the HD DVR without pairing it with professional installation. Would my best bet be to contact the main Cox nationwide number, or get in touch with the local office? Thanks!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page