Hartford, CT - Cox - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #661 of 2346 Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

A&E HD, History HD, NFL HD and YES HD are all down, for all providers, in every state in the country. A fire at Ascent Media Group is the reason. All over the internet there are people like you guys bashing their cable company or satellite provider, calling them losers and morons. The channels are not likely to be back up for another day or so. Read about it here: http://www.multichannel.com/blog/350...720014272.html.

As much as I'm sure you guys would like to think so, there's nothing Cox can do to get these channels back up for you.

Maybe they should tell me that when I called them. When there is an outage, THEY SHOULD KNOW.
Besides this is not the first time. Couple weeks ago they had YESHD out for whole evening. It was not out anywhere, but on Cox. That is why I get so upset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2346 Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM

I remember that. There was a very exciting Yankees/Angels game that I was forced to watch in SD because YES HD was out until about 1:15 in the morning. I was at least able to catch the bottom of the 9th and 10th innings in HD, but the fact that it was out the whole night and nobody told me why made me very angry.

There's been at least 3 instances in the past 3 weeks where YES HD and other stations were out for an extended time period, and nobody had a clue why.

If there are outages, then tech support should know.
post #663 of 2346 Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjeff724 View Post

I remember that. There was a very exciting Yankees/Angels game that I was forced to watch in SD because YES HD was out until about 1:15 in the morning. I was at least able to catch the bottom of the 9th and 10th innings in HD, but the fact that it was out the whole night and nobody told me why made me very angry.

There's been at least 3 instances in the past 3 weeks where YES HD and other stations were out for an extended time period, and nobody had a clue why.

If there are outages, then tech support should know.

I called them that night about 7:30pm when YESHD went out. Guess what. The idiot at tech support wanted to send a tech to my house 3 days later. I told him that YESHD is out everywhere and he needs to contact Headend, but he kept insisting to send a tech. That is why I can't stand Cox. Totally unprofessional and they do not care. I worked in Cable TV Headend for many years. We always had a rule that tech's have to scan all the channels at least every half hour. At Cox their Headend tech's probably do not go thru channels at all. This is unacceptable.
post #664 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

I called them that night about 7:30pm when YESHD went out. Guess what. The idiot at tech support wanted to send a tech to my house 3 days later. I told him that YESHD is out everywhere and he needs to contact Headend, but he kept insisting to send a tech. That is why I can't stand Cox. Totally unprofessional and they do not care. I worked in Cable TV Headend for many years. We always had a rule that tech's have to scan all the channels at least every half hour. At Cox their Headend tech's probably do not go thru channels at all. This is unacceptable.

Fire at the uplink facilty in Stamford. A&E HD, YES & NFL Network HD.
post #665 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

Fire at the uplink facilty in Stamford. A&E HD, YES & NFL Network HD.

A&E HD is back up, but we're still without YES or NFL Network HD.
post #666 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 03:53 PM

OK, this is just great. How many HD Yankee games am I going to miss because of this stupid fire?
post #667 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

A&E HD is back up, but we're still without YES or NFL Network HD.

A&E HD is actually an upconverted A&E signal. They think they'll have A&E HD (the real channel) back up tomorrow evening.
post #668 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, this is just great. How many HD Yankee games am I going to miss because of this stupid fire?

Likely no more than 2.
post #669 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Well, I'm enjoying listening to Sterling on the radio. It reminds me of the days when I was a kid and I would listen to the Yankee games on the radio at the town pool or public park.

And the Yankees don't even have to win today, because the Tigers already lost this afternoon.

I called my brother who lives in Hartford and has Comcast. His YES HD is out too.
post #670 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Well, I'm enjoying listening to Sterling on the radio. It reminds me of the days when I was a kid and I would listen to the Yankee games on the radio at the town pool or public park.

And the Yankees don't even have to win today, because the Tigers already lost this afternoon.

I called my brother who lives in Hartford and has Comcast. His YES HD is out too.

It's out on Directv, too.

Chip
post #671 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Liked: 11
I wish NESN-HD was out right now so I don't have to see the Devil Rays pounding the Sox once again.
post #672 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

I wish NESN-HD was out right now so I don't have to see the Devil Rays pounding the Sox once again.

Good 4th inning by the Sox, put them right back into it against a dreadful Rays bullpen.
post #673 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Don't give up so soon, 8-5 now.
post #674 of 2346 Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Told ya.
post #675 of 2346 Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 PM

The NFL Network HD (ch. 726) is back up, but YES HD (ch. 724) is still black. This does not bode well for my chances of watching the Yankee game in HD tonight.

Edit: I read on another thread that somebody called YES, and they said that the HD feed should be restored by Friday 9/14.
post #676 of 2346 Old 09-13-2007, 04:21 PM

YES HD is back tonight. However, A&E HD is still broadcasting in disgusting stretch-o-vision.
post #677 of 2346 Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 AM

Hey all, update. So Cox came out to test my signal strength, and the tech said it is "perfect," and even went so far as to say that my analog channels look "above average." So I guess I'm not allowed to complain anymore! I just need to get used to it. He indicated that the 6416 does as good a job with analogs as any other box. He also mentioned that Cox will have everyone in CT on digital simulcast by the end of the year, and they are working on the upgrade in my area as we speak. Question for folks who have seen this already - what signs will there be so I know they are getting close to completing the upgrade? Will I see some channel re-mapping? Thanks again.
post #678 of 2346 Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM

I'm in the same boat with everybody else.
Sluggish responce times using the remote to access various features and menus.
I still get intermittent drop-outs....on various channels especially HD stuff.
CBS is especially troublesum. And now it is spreading to MHD and Discovery HD.

Line strength is correct and all cabling is good.
Box is a Motorola DCT6416 III with Echo 2.7.044 and TC 16.38.

Never had this(sluggish-ness) problem with the old TC16.35 but had even more audio drop outs.

I'm sure everybody here has been having the freezing issues along with stutters and drop-outs. I have researched long and hard to find more info and have stumbled on some interesting stuff.
All of these problems are a know issue with Motorola boxes with Aptiv passport guide software.
There were engineers involved in other states from other cable providers that narrowed it down to the guide software searching for update information excessivly which in turn produced the freezing and stutters especially while watching live TV.
That particular market was using TC16.41 but recalled it due to even more problems...they actually downgraded to firmware 16.38 and did some code revisions to the system to actually repair the problem.

Believe it or not.......this was not a COX market...but another that uses the same boxes. They "consumers" actually had help resolving the problem instead of the usual canned responce of "we'll send a tech out".

Cox cable has some serious issues with this particular box and software/guide interaction and something needs to be done.
Calling the desk is like talking to a bunch of monkeys.... if you call them to complain that a channel is bad or out....is it too hard for them to actually turn around in their chair and tune the multitude of TV's behind the counter to the channel in question and see if it actually has a problem?
NO.....they just say....we will send a tech out.....OMG...what kind of service is that?
The tech gets here and says....the problem is on the head end.....DUH.....could have saved this unneccessary tech call out just by the customer rep. turning around in the chair and checking the channel themself.

Have had techs out to house to troubleshoot box sluggisness problems and was told ....this is a known problem and there is no resolution.

Known by whom????

Why isn't anybody doing anything about it?

OK....i think i'm done ranting now.........Perhaps i'll go have a drink and watch my crappy COX cable service.

Join in people......the more we complain ...hopefully COX will correct the problems.
The other providers found the issues and corrected them...why can't COX?

UGGHHH
post #679 of 2346 Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 AM

OK....more interesting information.....

I went to my main Cox office (meriden) today and tried to exchange my DCT6416 III box for the new DCH6416 with cable card box.

At first the 2 people i delt with at the counter had no idea what i was talking about. Box??? what box??? huh????

But believe it or not....a third individual actually had some knowledge of the "new" box and said they weren't out yet in Ct.

He said he would do some investigating and call me back at home with an answer.
I thought to myself.....yeah right.....

So i went back home with an exchange box of the same type..DCT6416III...just because i had to do something.....perhaps i was bored?

But...lo-and-behold.....the phone rang 1 1/2 hours later with the same guy saying he had some answers for me.
I thought ...OMG.....could this be a crank call??? no actually he really did have some information for me.

He told me the following....... the new boxes are not out yet for my portion of CT..."Southington"......we have to wait until they do a system upgrade...i believe the digital simulcast is what he is talking about...before my town will be allowed to get and use these new boxes.
I asked when the "upgrade is supposed to happen and he replied "by the end of the year".
Meriden,Southington,Cheshire...all waiting for the "upgrade" and then the newer style boxes will be released.
But for now.....they say they have plenty of reconditioned old style boxes to go around.
Lucky Us!!!!!

So to make a long story short........keep waiting folks...and keep your fingers crossed for speedy service of the "upgrade".

Hope this sheds at least a little light on the subject.....and perhaps help anybody having the same thoughts as i did about exchanging your box.

Chime in with opinions or other info if you have it...

And a big shout out to the Cox Rep...who actually called me back with at least some useful information.

See-ya.....
post #680 of 2346 Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Even more information concerning the freezing and stuttering and audio drop-outs.

This is a quote from an e-mail that i just received from a party that will remain anonymous.
Let's just say......if you scream loud enough someone just might listen.

"I will tell you (even though I am not supposed to) that we are working with them this afternoon on the video and audio problems you have been experiencing. As suspected, issues with the platform code have been identified and we have suggested a work around' to resolve the video stuttering' and audio dropout issues that I believe are being implemented as I write this note. Provided the implementation is completed this afternoon, this should affect your box performance as early as this evening. Feel free to keep me posted on this one.

On the sluggish' response, we strongly do not believe those are guide (IPG) related and have relayed that to Cox so that they can address with their other related suppliers. In my opinion, this one may take a number of weeks to resolve.

Again, I am not supposed to share this level of information with you directly, but could sense your frustration in your message and felt you should be as informed as possible.

Secret information that should be made public.
Let's hope it helps.......
It is good to know that there are people and vendors out there that really do care about their product.

Let's hope COX feels the same way.
post #681 of 2346 Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 PM

Sounds like they're having all kinds of problems with the Guide and everything. My wife tried to record a bunch of shows today, and the DVR recorded as scheduled... but different shows were on instead. And this isn't the first time that has happened. I called tech support, and the rep said he'd never heard of that happening. I've had Tivo for 2 years and Tivo screwed up the recording maybe 2 or 3 times, total -- we've had probably twice that many screw-ups in the 2 weeks since getting the Cox DVR. The service rep reset the box, so hopefully that helps... otherwise I'll be ponying up $299 to get the new Tivo HD box.
post #682 of 2346 Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Hi, I'm not sure if this is what you guys have been talking about, but today, when I changed it to channels 2-10, everything was completely blurry. I mean I knew standard def on my HDTV was bad, but I don't remember it being this bad. Is this happening to anyone else? I'm using th 6412 III box.
post #683 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 05:15 AM

On the stuttering...

My cable guy friend told me to hold down the guide button on the front of the box until it says read. He also said that there is a workaround that Cox is going to inplement sometime next week. I have tried it in the past couple of days and it worked.
post #684 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 AM

As in my above postings.....here is what was found to be defective in the "other" markets and also was now identified as being a problem in the Cox CT market.

This was posted by a vendor engineer from the other market that was having the problem. ..........

"OK everyone, Here is the update. As you can probably see from the messages from some of the family around here We have isolated the issue and one way to alleviate the problem is to hold down the GUIDE button on the DCT and this forces the box to dump it's guide data and re-pull it.

The problem around the stuttering was isolated to the box polling devices in the network 12 hours after it processed it's guide update. As you know probably we push out updates at 4AM and it takes the DCT about a hour or so to process the update. So 12 hours after that update was finishing proccessing it started to poll, We can alleviate this polling by doing a second data push temporary to prevent it from polling. So the fix will be for me to manually do a guide push 4PM throughout this weekend until we can ultimately address this on Tuesday.

So the quick and dirty is, after today you should no longer have to do anything. I will say that this issue was unbelievably hard to isolate. It was a team effort from multiple vendors and given it truly didn't show up typically until after 530PM just made things even more confusing. I sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience you have gone thru and I really want to thank all of you who answered my PM's and public questions on this issue.

This isn't the holy grail as there are still some other issues I need to track and get fixed. (random reboots is one) etc."

This is what Schmitter is talking about...and is in fact the problem.
Cox should have released a workaround fix during this mornings..4am. download.
Let's hope this cures at least one problem...now we just need to get the remote control sluggish-ness fixed.
post #685 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I work at a Car Dealership, we service Cox Vans, tech's come here all the time, i asked about the new box, they had a meeting and saw it but didnt know when they would start using them, could be awhile he said and this is in Manchester.
This digital simulcast what is going to be the big deal?, the digital channels look like crap same as the analog, watch VH1 classic and tell me it looks good?
If your using a tube tv they look fine but try on a plasma/lcd and my 92" projector sometimes i can barely stand it.
post #686 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM

New HD Channels on Cox as of 4:00 p.m. .....Wednesday 9-19-07

position 745 = TLC-HD...up and running.
position 727 = FSN-HD...off air but listed.

Keep-em coming COX......

Now if i can just get the remote to act faster....i will be a happy man!
post #687 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks like more may be coming

http://www.tvpredictions.com/cox091907.htm

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #688 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Also, Discovery HD on 746 (at least here in Suffield). This appears to be a simulcast of the regular Discovery Channel (26 analog), not to be confused with Discovery Theater HD.
post #689 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Here in Newington they added FSN-HD on 727, Discovery HD on 745 and TLC HD on 746.
post #690 of 2346 Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh? always had Discovery HD fo yr's???????
Only Blank FSNHD here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page