AVS Forum banner

Hartford, CT - Cox

256K views 2K replies 133 participants last post by  100/40 
#1 ·
Since the Hartford thread converted to OTA and a Comcast thread spun off, I started this for us Cox users.

I've had a couple of issues with Cox cable. The price is high. The DVR doesn't always work. And the box likes to reboot a lot. I could forgive all this with a good selection of HD channels. But they haven't added any in months.

Cox's current lineup.

700 – NBC

701 – CBS

702 - ABC

703 – PBS

704 - FOX

705 - CW

706 - MyTV9

710 - DISC

711 - ESPNHD

712 - ESPN2HD

713 - MOJO

714 - TNTHD

715 - UNIHD

716 - NGeoHD

717 - A&EHD

720 - HBO

721 - SHOW

722 - Cinemax HD

723 - Starz HD

724 - YESHD

725 - NESNHD

730 - MHD

Inserted 09/25/2007 - Hopefully Cox will be adding many more HD channels in the near future. Please use the following link.
http://www.cox.com/NewEngland/DigitalCable/HD.asp

Current tuner/DVR - Motorola 6412

Does anyone know if ABC, UPN or the WB plan to sign on anytime soon?

I probably should keep a log of when these things happen.

Last edited 11-17-05 to add TNTHD to the line-up.

Last edited 02-03-06 to add UNIHD to the line-up. UNIHD was first available

02-01-06 on Cox.

Last edited 03-30-06 to add WTXXHD Which became available 03-29-06.

Last edited 04-11-06 to add NESNHD, first available this same day.

Last edited 08-10-06 to add MHD (MTV HD), first available on 07-26-06.

Last edited 11-22-06 to add NFLHD and ESPN2HD first available on 11-21-06.

Last edited 01-03-07 to remove NFLHD and INHD2. Added YESHD which was first available 01-01-07. Moved ESPN2 to 712 which was INHD. INHD moved to 713.

Last edited 03-03-07. Added ABC and MyTV9 first available 03-01-07. Changed WB to CW.

Last edited 05-02-07. Added National Geographic HD first available 05-01-07.

Last edited 05-19-07. Added A&E HD first available on 05-16-07. Changed INHD to MOJO.

Last edited 08-31-07. Added Cinemax and Starz HD first available on 8-29-07.

See less See more
#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent /forum/post/0

We could try inundating them with calls and emails. I already sent one. Don't know how much good it will do. It's beyond me how a business cannot care about it's customers. Especially for what we pay for cable these days.

I agree, but keep in mind that Lin is asking Cox to put another station on nation wide

besides WTNH. It doesn't sound to me like that is fair to Cox.

#54 ·
At least we have an option here in the Meriden / Cheshire / Southington area even thought it can be expensive ... OTA. In Cheshire, the WTNH-HD OTA signal is 100% ... you may even receive it with "rabbit ears"
I have watched every Super Bowl for the last three years (WTNH OTA 3 yrs ago) in HD. I agree, having to buy an OTA receiver when you rent an HD cable box, because Cox can't come to an agreement with Lin, is ridiculous but you do what you have to do. Personally, I am glad I got the OTA receiver three years ago ... it has been put to good use.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssusca /forum/post/0

Hmmm.....

I'm not too sure what to make of that. However, from past experience with Cox, (like not roviding NESN to those of us in Southington, Meriden, and Cheshire until after the Sox won teh world series) I'm willing to bet that we will not be watching the Superbowl in HD this year. That really sucks!!! I just got a projector and was relaly looking forward showing the game on a 92" screen in HD at our Superbowl party.

It looks like I will be buying an OTA receiver for the game.

I hate Cox. It's too bad I have so many trees around my house or I would already have Direct TV

I'll take that bet. Two years ago in CT, Cox did not have CBS in HD, so I did what you are talking about doing, buying the crap to get it OTA. What happened? One day agreement to carry the Super Bowl. Last year, in RI, there was a one day agreement to carry the Super Bowl (Lin has CBS in RI). So unless Lin really holds their ground my bet is that we get the Super Bowl in HD.

#57 ·
I hope you're right. To be on the safe side, I bought an OTA receiver this weekend and found that, due to all the very large trees around my house, I don't get the best signal. I figured that it would be better since all the leaves are off the trees, but I am getting a lot of signal drop outs.

Got a good deal on the receiver though, and I suppose I can sell it later to recoup some of my money.

How and when would we find out about this one day deal? Do we just have to tune in on Superbowl Sunday to check?

#58 ·
If you have Cox high speed internet, you should get an e-mail. I plan on keeping an eye on the guide though. My bet is that it will be 702. 700-701-703-704 are all locals, and there is a gap in the sequence for 702.

What did you get for a receiver? I had to move my antenna to the center of the attic, more north, so it wouldn't hit the southern gable end which has aluminum siding on it. On MNF I would rarely get a hicup. I would put it on the roof with a rotator, but I am scared. My roof is steep and it is up there.

#59 ·
I got the Accurian box from Radio Shack. My antenna is not the best either so I'm sure that has something to do with my reception. I even went up on the roof with it but the reception didn't get any better. I wasn't planning on keeping it so I didn't want to spend too much money. I only wanted it for my Superbowl Party. I plan on selling it on ebay after the Superbowl.

#60 ·
I have been emailing Cox and Lin in hopes of seeing my Jaguars play on Saturday and have gotten pretty much the same response as Raoul. Here was what I sent back to Ms. Banas-Kluk:

------

Hi Deanna, thank you for your response and suggestion. I don't know what's standing in the way of an agreement between Lin and Cox but, as their customer, I will remind them of our desire to have this in place.

My set will receive an OTA HD signal; unfortunately for Lin I will receive a much better signal from Sinclair's WGGB 40 in Springfield with the type of antenna we are likely to have. I know you hate lose a viewer but without Cox its proximity will make it the better choice to receive an ABC affiliate.

Thanks.

-------

I am an optimist but fear that this Saturday may be my only opportunity to see the Jags ...

#61 ·
Took a quick trip to Radio Shack to get the $29.95 amplified Rabbit Ears. It was able to pick up 20 or so channels, half of which are digital (including 40-1!). Incredible how poor the analog channels look and how wonderful the digitals ones are - even with a weak signal.

So long, Doctor Mel!

Go Jags!

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy /forum/post/0

Has this changed? I now see UCONN games on PBS-HD.

I noticed a change a week or two ago also. It used to match CPTV's online HD listing, now it matches WEDH. Some shows still look better than SD, so I'm a little confused as to what I'm getting.

The real pain is they haven't changed the on-screen guide. Every time I want to know what is on CH-703, I have to check CH-5. To record, either select a different show at the same time or make a manual recording.

Jon

BTW. I'm new here, so Hello Everyone :).

#65 ·
I live in Ansonia CT and just bought the Terk HDTVo antenna and I'm having trouble getting the Hartford stations in HD... Channel WVIT, WFSB, and WTIC come in clear analog but not DT. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the way it is?? If it is anyone having any luck picking up the NY stations..

Thank god WTNH is doing the super bowl..

#66 ·
OK, sounds like a good thing I made the attempt to watch Jacksonville last night because it really was my only opportunity. I tried 2 set-top antennas; the RadioShack $29.95 amplified antenna and the $49.95 RadioShack with remote directional control. Suprisingly, the $29.95 was the better of the two - significantly. It pulled in 28 stations analog and digital.

Here's what we got in S Windsor from Rabbit Ears

3 - WFSB Analog, 3.1 - WFSB Digital, 3.2 - CBS Springfield (!),

8 - Weak analog, 8.1 - Weak digital, 8.2 - WTNH weather,

18 & 18.1, 19 WCDC ABC Weak, 20,

22 WWLP, 22.1 (strong), 22.1 Weather radar, 24,

30, 30.1, and 30.2 Continuous weather ,

40 (strong) and 40.1 (steady signal all game long),

57, 57-1, -2, -3, -4, -5

59, 61, and 61-1.

Surprisingly, 40-1 had a beautiful signal (I was used to watching ABC analog, OK). They are carrying a different schedule than 40 analog this morning. 40 is showing a Lasik infomercial while 40.1 is carrying the GMA HiDef network feed; PSA's only with NO local commercials. Very nice! Also it was surprising that 3.2 comes through with a different channel than WFSB.

I was correct that 40.1 OTA has a much stronger signal than Channel 8.1. Sorry, LIN, I'm not a hostage to your agreement any more.

#67 ·
Thanks RusMann!

What are you using as a receiver? How much did it cost? Is your setup in the basement? Unfortunately mine is and I live in a condo. Cable may be my only alternative. Tried a silver sensor once with an analog TV for an experiment. Only pulled in a couple of stations with snow.

#68 ·
I dont like the new PBS, it doesnt show full screen on my plasma, a weird size ive never seen compared to 4:3, more like a 6:3 size, get 2" side bars instead of 4" normal 4:3 size.

Is it all the shows are now wedh or just certain times?, PBS HD had some awesome PQ shows,my kids liked watching Tracks Ahead.

This is def a downturn.

#69 ·
The previous feed was the National PBS HD feed. It looks like it changed to the WEDH feed which is what I assume that I'll get OTA if they ever fire it up. On the plus side the basket ball games look like they might be in HD or a very good quality upscale of SD. I also don't quite get what the "strech" setting is. I know that last time I checked, last year sometime, WGBY's OTA feed also had the PBS kids on it and it was a standard 4:3 with the full side bars, I will have to spin the antenna in the attic and check it again.

#71 ·
I called Cox regarding the new WEDH-HD programming. I mentioned that the Guide does not correlate to what is actually showing. Also, no HD. They said that WEDH was having equipment problems and that it should be resolved by the end of the week.

Of course it took 2 calls to get that answer. The first person was clueless.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins /forum/post/0

I should have been more specific - I'm looking for the actual frequency channel numbers - ie. 88-2 or whatever. I assume locals are unencrypted, although that could be a poor assumption.

Chris

107-1 PBS

107-2 CBS

111-2 FOX

111-3 NBC

I think thats right. I'm going by memory right now. If you do a scan, you will see that you can pick up all the digital music and a few other "digital tier" stations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.