Hartford, CT - Cox - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 2344 Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
And to add to the above, exactly what levels of service do I have to have to get to HD, besides the cable to the house ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2344 Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

Manchester has none, i went to Enfield and got 2 shiny new DCH3416's last week!!
I have noticed the front and rear USB is "live", it does show in Diagnostic's screen my external 160gb drive but wont recognize it as more DVR space.
Boston Red Sox, the 3416 is a DVR box..they DO NOT have any HD only tuners!!!!!
DCH3400 is the NON DVR box!!

I was a little confused. I now do have the DCH3416, seems to be working well. The only thing I don't like about it, that the 6416 does have, are the audio/video in's on the front of the cable box (the yellow/red/white).
post #903 of 2344 Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
In case you guys aren't aware of this page, it has cable company filings that are usually after a change has been made, but sometimes you get some info about things that are coming down the road. The latest Cox filing states Travel Channel HD being added on January 23.

I can't believe Comcast owns CSN NE and doesn't provide the HD channel to it's CT customers but Cox does. You all should consider yourselves lucky, because I'm very jealous.

Anyway, here's the link I was talking about.
post #904 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

And to add to the above, exactly what levels of service do I have to have to get to HD, besides the cable to the house ?

This was the breakdown from my Jan. bill:

9.99 COX DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER SERVICE (per box)
4.99 DVR/HD DIGITAL RECEIVER (per box)
12.95 DIGITAL SERVICE
post #905 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

I was a little confused. I now do have the DCH3416, seems to be working well. The only thing I don't like about it, that the 6416 does have, are the audio/video in's on the front of the cable box (the yellow/red/white).

Like those inputs really worked?, you just like to look at them ...right?
post #906 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2HD4Now View Post

In case you guys aren't aware of this page, it has cable company filings that are usually after a change has been made, but sometimes you get some info about things that are coming down the road. The latest Cox filing states Travel Channel HD being added on January 23.

I can't believe Comcast owns CSN NE and doesn't provide the HD channel to it's CT customers but Cox does. You all should consider yourselves lucky, because I'm very jealous.

Anyway, here's the link I was talking about.

Basically a worthless channel, they only show home games, seems with the new DCH3416 the skipping/stuttering has stopped!
post #907 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Basically a worthless channel, they only show home games, seems with the new DCH3416 the skipping/stuttering has stopped!

I'd take the home games in HD to no games in HD aside from the occasional ESPN or TNT game and all the games against the Nets (on YES). CSN NE HD is prepping to go 24/7 like NESN, YES, etc. and at that time they will be able to provide road games in HD as well. That's supposed to happen soon and perhaps this month.
post #908 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all,

Forgive my intrusion on your HD forum, but it was the closest I could find to my question. I'm in Manchester, CT and am still on lowly SDTV, which will stay that way for some time. I have a PVR (SageTV) with two analog tuners.

I'd like to get the Digital Variety pack (need DIY network!) and am wondering if a Hauppauge HVR-1600 with QAM capability will be able to record the digital channels.

If that's not an option, can someone tell me what the standard Digital Variety STB is, and its outputs?

Thanks very much!
post #909 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

Hi all,

Forgive my intrusion on your HD forum, but it was the closest I could find to my question. I'm in Manchester, CT and am still on lowly SDTV, which will stay that way for some time. I have a PVR (SageTV) with two analog tuners.

I'd like to get the Digital Variety pack (need DIY network!) and am wondering if a Hauppauge HVR-1600 with QAM capability will be able to record the digital channels.

If that's not an option, can someone tell me what the standard Digital Variety STB is, and its outputs?

Thanks very much!

A QAM tuner will only get you the local channels in hd. None of the other digital channels is unscrambled.

Chip
post #910 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post

A QAM tuner will only get you the local channels in hd. None of the other digital channels is unscrambled.

Hi Chip, that's what I feared. Does anyone know what the standard-def Digital Variety STB is? I'd need to investigate controlling it from my PVR. Thanks!
post #911 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's a moto 5100 series, it has composite and S-vid outputs.
post #912 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

Hi Chip, that's what I feared. Does anyone know what the standard-def Digital Variety STB is? I'd need to investigate controlling it from my PVR. Thanks!

DCT2500 or if you're unlucky, the DCT2000.

The 5100 is a 1st gen HD box.
post #913 of 2344 Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Like those inputs really worked?, you just like to look at them ...right?

Yeah, you're right, for some reason I thought they worked when I plugged the video out from my video ipod into there, but it doesn't.

I had a problem with my new DCH3416, I wasn't able to get any HBO's, analog or HD, with the new box, it kept displaying something about a cable card, which has nothing to do with my tv. So, I returned it to Manchester tonight for the DCT6416, and that seems to have corrected the HBO problem. Really weird why it kept prompting me to call my cable company to activate HBO because of the cable card. Anyone else come across this?
post #914 of 2344 Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you call the 800 number and have it activated?
post #915 of 2344 Old 01-11-2008, 04:52 AM

DCH's have cable cards in them, they need to be paired, you should have just called the 800 number.
post #916 of 2344 Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Did you call the 800 number and have it activated?

I called to have the box activated, but I didn't call to have HBO activated as when I was on the phone with Cox Tech Support, they showed that everything was ok on their end. They sent signals to the box, and that was no help. So, they scheduled for a tech to come out on Monday.
post #917 of 2344 Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Weird, as my HBO and Cinemax work fine on the DCH.
post #918 of 2344 Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Weird, as my HBO and Cinemax work fine on the DCH.

So, I found myself in Enfield this morning, and just happened to be giving the DCT6416 a ride in the truck, and traded it in, again, for the DCH3416. Brought it home, hooked it up, called the 800# for activation, and waaa-laaa, everything, including all the HBO's and HBO-HD, is working as it should. No red text on the screen saying to activate the cable card. Life once again is good! Just in time for the NFL playoffs today and tomorrow!! Go PATS.
post #919 of 2344 Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Anyone else having audio stuttering on ABC HD? I'm on an HD Tivo box and having stuttering on 702 - Tivo diagnostics show no problems. On clear QAM straight to the TV shows the same stuttering. I really hope it's a problem with the feed and not specific to me, cuz I just cannot deal with having to call tech support again...
post #920 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 AM

Redux, Schmitter - Appreciate your posts as this is exactly what I am planning - Tivo, Cox Central CT (Cheshire/Southington/Meriden) and Cablecard. Basically to get 162 Turner back in a room that just lost it. Sounds like need to swap the cards properly rather than just re-pair. Guess it all depends on the quality of the technician.
post #921 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 11:23 AM

Looking for info on new DCH boxes.
Do the new boxes have the lag like the old DCT crap?
Example.....you press the DVR list button and 5 or 7 seconds later the list comes up? Channel scrolling also very slow...
The old DCT boxes were famous for these problems along with other known faults.

Lookng to see if this is improved with the new stuff?
post #922 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosteriver View Post

Basically to get 162 Turner back in a room that just lost it. Sounds like need to swap the cards properly rather than just re-pair. Guess it all depends on the quality of the technician.

That's helpful, but it's more important who's at the other end of the phone at Cox. For example the techs generally hate to have to do one card at a time, verify, and only then move to the second card; but that's frequently the most essential step for success in a problematic situation. The guys at what's sometimes called the "test" desk or test center or something more often seem to recognize this.
post #923 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post

Anyone else having audio stuttering on ABC HD? I'm on an HD Tivo box and having stuttering on 702 - Tivo diagnostics show no problems. On clear QAM straight to the TV shows the same stuttering. I really hope it's a problem with the feed and not specific to me, cuz I just cannot deal with having to call tech support again...

I had the same problem and still have it now.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #924 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 04:37 PM

I also have this on 702 WTNH-HD w/ a Moto box not TIVO. OK on the non-HD version of the station.
post #925 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post

That's helpful, but it's more important who's at the other end of the phone at Cox. For example the techs generally hate to have to do one card at a time, verify, and only then move to the second card; but that's frequently the most essential step for success in a problematic situation. The guys at what's sometimes called the "test" desk or test center or something more often seem to recognize this.

Thanks Redux!
post #926 of 2344 Old 01-13-2008, 06:09 PM

My apologies if I've inappropriately inserted my query into what seems to be a single thread of posts and if mine is somewhat long winded

My frustration with Cox Communications is at an all time high. I can't get a consistent response from any two of their reps. My situation is this:

I have a Tivo HD unit with no cablecards. I have expanded cable without digital cable service. All that I've read leads me to believe that, using the Tivo HD unit to receive clear QAM channels, I should be able to manually tune into those digital channels (e.g. 72-1, 77-5). Additionally, if those digital channels are broadcasting HD (e.g. CBS, ABC, etc.), I should be able to send that HD output to the component or HDMI input of my HDTV.

So far, I am able to do a channel scan with the Tivo unit which does detect many of these channels and indicates strong signals for most of them. The Tivo second level support folks agree that I should be able to view those channels with the given configuration, yet all I am able to display is a grey screen. As a second-to-last ditch effort (last would be to replace the Tivo unit), I thought I might try adding a cablecard.

On the other hand, the last Cox rep has indicated that I not only need the cablecard, but also need their digital cable service (additional $5/month for the service and $2/month for the card) for channels below 80. I also have the option to add an additional digital package including a few more digital channels like BBS, Discovery, etc. with its associated fee. Additional frustration: this rep indicated that this is for HDTVs only. i.e. I couldn't use the Tivo with cablecards to output to a SDTV via the composite connections. What's scary is that this same rep didn't seem to know the difference between an ATSC and QAM tuner.

So my question: Is there anyone out there who is using a similar config without the digital cable service and able to tune in clear QAM channels?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #927 of 2344 Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

Looking for info on new DCH boxes.
Do the new boxes have the lag like the old DCT crap?
Example.....you press the DVR list button and 5 or 7 seconds later the list comes up? Channel scrolling also very slow...
The old DCT boxes were famous for these problems along with other known faults.

Lookng to see if this is improved with the new stuff?

Same lag, thats a software problem, passport sucks!!
post #928 of 2344 Old 01-14-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickalodeon View Post

My apologies if I've inappropriately inserted my query into what seems to be a single thread of posts and if mine is somewhat long winded

My frustration with Cox Communications is at an all time high. I can't get a consistent response from any two of their reps. My situation is this:

I have a Tivo HD unit with no cablecards. I have expanded cable without digital cable service. All that I've read leads me to believe that, using the Tivo HD unit to receive clear QAM channels, I should be able to manually tune into those digital channels (e.g. 72-1, 77-5). Additionally, if those digital channels are broadcasting HD (e.g. CBS, ABC, etc.), I should be able to send that HD output to the component or HDMI input of my HDTV.

So far, I am able to do a channel scan with the Tivo unit which does detect many of these channels and indicates strong signals for most of them. The Tivo second level support folks agree that I should be able to view those channels with the given configuration, yet all I am able to display is a grey screen. As a second-to-last ditch effort (last would be to replace the Tivo unit), I thought I might try adding a cablecard.

On the other hand, the last Cox rep has indicated that I not only need the cablecard, but also need their digital cable service (additional $5/month for the service and $2/month for the card) for channels below 80. I also have the option to add an additional digital package including a few more digital channels like BBS, Discovery, etc. with its associated fee. Additional frustration: this rep indicated that this is for HDTVs only. i.e. I couldn't use the Tivo with cablecards to output to a SDTV via the composite connections. What's scary is that this same rep didn't seem to know the difference between an ATSC and QAM tuner.

So my question: Is there anyone out there who is using a similar config without the digital cable service and able to tune in clear QAM channels?

My external QAM tuners get some HD channels, you should get at least 6 HD they start around 102, ABC, then 107.1 is PBS, 107.2 is CBS, 111.1 is NBC, 111.2...etc
Every cable line carries them, no need to have digital service as thats only with there cable box, do a scan at night and you'll get alot of on demand movies others are watching in your area including soft porn.....ha!
I got 20 channels last scan i did, using a LG 3510 tuner
Grey would assume the channel is scrambled.

And what are you doing with a HD Tivo with a SDTV?, you can watch all those channel thru composite, just wont be HD quality...but maybe your tivo wont allow that...tell us your setup.
post #929 of 2344 Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Per the TIVO web site. Tivo cannot tune to channels not in the guide. The guide does not include the in the clear HD channels.
post #930 of 2344 Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I have a Tivo HD and before I got my cablecards a few weeks ago, I was able to tune to the clear QAM channels. The problem is you have to know which channels are actually clear, because when the Tivo does a channel scan it doesn't give you the option to delete scrambled channels. So there are probably about 500 QAM channels that will come in and you'll have to manually go through each one before you find the unscrambled ones, and once you find them Cox may re-map channels at any time, so they move. The QAM channels do not populate into the Tivo Guide, no matter what you do, and you can only record manually. Your best bet is to spend the extra $7 a month for the cable cards plus digital access - Tivo wasn't really designed for viewing/recording clear QAM. Your other option is to hook up an antenna to get your local channels in HD - you'll be able to record them no problem.

Also, you are able to view those QAM channels - even the HD ones - over composite video onto a non-HD TV. I was able to do it no problem. You just have to have the output format set to 480i.

P.S., if you want to discuss Tivo-specific stuff further, feel free to PM me.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page