Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2320 Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

#1 - Yesterday, Comcast added CSN HD in many CT systems. Also, CSN's website now touts their new full-time HD channel, which it seems those on Comcast systems are getting. But for us on Cox, it seems that we are still on a part time game only channel. Weird.

#2 - Even weirder... I was watching the Celtics last night when my phone (Cox digital telephone) rang. I picked it up, and for a good 3 minutes or so, the picture on CSN HD was all borken up, so was the sound. I could hear a ticking noise through the phone while this was going on. Anyone seen this? So weird!

Is it a cordless phone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2320 Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash51 View Post

Is it a cordless phone?

Yes, I should have mentioned that before.
post #993 of 2320 Old 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, I should have mentioned that before.

I wonder if it could be a shielding issue in the TV? The phone carriers are constant and so just receiving a phone call shouldn't activate a carrier to your house, they are pretty much always there. The only thing that changed was that your phone was now receiving and transmitting a wireless signal.
post #994 of 2320 Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

#1 - Yesterday, Comcast added CSN HD in many CT systems. Also, CSN's website now touts their new full-time HD channel, which it seems those on Comcast systems are getting. But for us on Cox, it seems that we are still on a part time game only channel. Weird.

#2 - Even weirder... I was watching the Celtics last night when my phone (Cox digital telephone) rang. I picked it up, and for a good 3 minutes or so, the picture on CSN HD was all borken up, so was the sound. I could hear a ticking noise through the phone while this was going on. Anyone seen this? So weird!

I watched the entire Celtics game on CSN-HD with no problems whatsoever.

Also, did you notice during the Celtics game that they ran a scroll across the bottom of the screen stating that the channel is now full time, and all the away games will be broadcast in HD as well? It's definitely a 24/7 channel now, but it looks like Cox is screwing us.
post #995 of 2320 Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So I'm off from work today, recovering from my Patriots loss. Dose anyone think that if I brought in my DCT6416, Cox would swap it out for a DCH3416 even though nothing's wrong with my current box? This would be a good day to take a ride to Meriden, since I have nothing else going on. Thanks.

I was talking to the Cox tech the other day at a friends house, he was doing an install. He said even they are having a hard time getting their hands on the DCH3416's to keep stocked in their trucks. Also, an interesting sidenote, when he installed the box, he had to go into the secret menu, and had to activate a function (not sure exactly what it was, as I was only 1/2 paying attention) that had to go from 200 down to 0. And it took about 10 minutes. He said that he has to go through that for every one of the boxes that are out because they weren't properly configured at the manufacturer.
post #996 of 2320 Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

I was talking to the Cox tech the other day at a friends house, he was doing an install. He said even they are having a hard time getting their hands on the DCH3416's to keep stocked in their trucks. Also, an interesting sidenote, when he installed the box, he had to go into the secret menu, and had to activate a function (not sure exactly what it was, as I was only 1/2 paying attention) that had to go from 200 down to 0. And it took about 10 minutes. He said that he has to go through that for every one of the boxes that are out because they weren't properly configured at the manufacturer.

That secret menu is the diagnostic menu, nothing too secret about that, power off your box and about 1 second after you hit the power button, hit the select button. Some boxes require one press of the select button, others require a second press.

The numbers you saw going down was the code automatically loading to the box, he wasn't activating anything, he was just monitoring the download. My guess is that the numbers go down to zero because it's showing showing you how much is left to download.

The technician who installed my box was very nice and explained everything he was doing
post #997 of 2320 Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:

CSN frequency is right around 850mhz. If you have a 850mhz cordless, it is interfering. Cell phones from AT&T use 850mhz too, and I've been having that problem when the cell phone is in use too. All channels around 850mhz break up, with HIST-HD being the worse, which happens to be using 849mhz.
post #998 of 2320 Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

I watched the entire Celtics game on CSN-HD with no problems whatsoever.

Also, did you notice during the Celtics game that they ran a scroll across the bottom of the screen stating that the channel is now full time, and all the away games will be broadcast in HD as well? It's definitely a 24/7 channel now, but it looks like Cox is screwing us.

I think Cox is asleep at the switch on this one.
post #999 of 2320 Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I see that even the guide programming data for CSN HD has changed to reflect its 24/7 status, yet we're still stuck on the part-time channel. I wasn't home on Friday night, but does anyone know if the game @ the Timberwolves was shown in HD on 727?
post #1000 of 2320 Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Cox is actually not asleep at the wheel on this one. Comcast launched thier channel 24/7 on thier system only last week. We will have it full time shortly. Obviously owning the channel makes it easier to launch it on a few days notice. We will have it before too long.
post #1001 of 2320 Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransaldi View Post

Cox is actually not asleep at the wheel on this one. Comcast launched thier channel 24/7 on thier system only last week. We will have it full time shortly. Obviously owning the channel makes it easier to launch it on a few days notice. We will have it before too long.

Cool, thanks.
post #1002 of 2320 Old 02-11-2008, 05:26 AM

Are you sure that full time doesn't mean not shared with another HD channel? Since we get VS-HD and Golf-HD one one channel, depending on what's playing, I would call that shared. Since CSN is on it's own channel 24/7 I would call that full time. Granted having some content on the channel for more than 2 hours at a time would be nice, but I think Cox might be ahead of the curve on this one.
post #1003 of 2320 Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

Are you sure that full time doesn't mean not shared with another HD channel? Since we get VS-HD and Golf-HD one one channel, depending on what's playing, I would call that shared. Since CSN is on it's own channel 24/7 I would call that full time. Granted having some content on the channel for more than 2 hours at a time would be nice, but I think Cox might be ahead of the curve on this one.

When CSN HD on 727 is referred to as a part-time channel, it's part-time from the programmer, meaning that the channel is not actually showoing any programming sometimes, and in CSN HD's case, most of the time. It's the same feed that some other cable operators may point to when they preempt programming on channels like MOJO for local HD sports.

Comcast has created a 24/7 feed which provides a simulcast of what's on CSN on channel 51, 24/7 whether the programming is in SD or HD.

Examples of this are YES HD and NESN HD, they used to only be part-time channels like CSN HD, but Cox chose to put those games on INHD at the time, rather than giving them their own channel poition like they did with CSN HD. It's all a matter of Cox changing over to the new 24/7 signal.

How can showing the HD Sports banner, or OFF AIR be considered ahead of the curve anyway?
post #1004 of 2320 Old 02-11-2008, 05:49 AM

I was listening to the Celtics pregame show on the radio last Wednesday and CSN Celtics' announcer Mike Gorman mentioned that CSN will be going "HD fulltime" on Friday 2/8, and be carrying all Celtics games, including road games, in HD. He mentioned that at this time it is only "fulltime" for Comcast cable customers, but that Comcast is in negotiations with other cable providers.
post #1005 of 2320 Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post

I was listening to the Celtics pregame show on the radio last Wednesday and CSN Celtics' announcer Mike Gorman mentioned that CSN will be going "HD fulltime" on Friday 2/8, and be carrying all Celtics games, including road games, in HD. He mentioned that at this time it is only "fulltime" for Comcast cable customers, but that Comcast is in negotiations with other cable providers.

Ah, so it's a negotiations thing. Seems funny that when initial negotiations (with FSN at that time) were going on, that they didn't include the stipulation that the deal would include carriage of a full-time channel when it became available.

Oh well, but I guess it sort of makes sense.
post #1006 of 2320 Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

CSNHD now shows a full schedule but all i see is the logo.
post #1007 of 2320 Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM

My upstairs DVR has been locking up lately, so first I re-booted, no change. I called Tech support and the guy sent some kind of signal that re-booted the unit remotely, no change. He told me to go to Meriden to swap out my box, no problem I work there, just will have to spend my lunch changing it out. I get there and the nice girl behind the counter tells me that they don't have any she will send a technician out tomorrow, ok I'll have to get out of work early to meet him/her. I call tech support to try to find out why they tell me one thing and the office tells me something else, she tells me that the 6416's are back ordered, with no future date to get them in, and the tech is coming to try to fix my unit. Oh boy. This is the second time they have sent me on a trip to nowhere.... Update to follow.

P.S. Has anyone figured out how to increase the memory capacity of these?
post #1008 of 2320 Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM

As a follow up..... The Tech. came out today, nice enough guy, however, he tried his hardest to convince me that the trouble was that I had too many programs on the hard drive. After going back and forth and deleting many hours of programs the DVR froze while we were watching. He magically remembered that he had removed a unit today from someone and he would give me that one. He told me that the units are so hard to come by they are not selling DVR service at this time. Do not accept less than stellar service.
post #1009 of 2320 Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

CSNHD now shows a full schedule but all i see is the logo.

Same story on my Tivo guide. Hopefully they're close to getting this worked out.
post #1010 of 2320 Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

CSN HD is now 24/7 on channel 727, so it looks like they negotiated that one relatively swiftly.
post #1011 of 2320 Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM

I miss that scary music and the logo

It was certainly a very odd choice of background music...I kept expecting something else to happen any moment.
post #1012 of 2320 Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Cox adding Comcast 24/7 in HD is the only provider (outside of Comcast) who was has been able to do so thus far. For all thier shortcomings they were able to connect to that HD feed quickly so we only missed 1 road game broadcast in HD after Comcast started airing them last week. Nice job!
post #1013 of 2320 Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 AM

Anyone else with cable cards not able to receive CSN HD (727) anymore? It seems like any time Cox re-maps the frequency of a channel I lose it. It used to be on 465 MHz, now I think it's supposed to be up in the 800's.
post #1014 of 2320 Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 AM

Well Cox re-mapped a bunch of HD channels last night and decided not to tell it's cablecards, which means I've lost several and others are on the wrong channels. WFSB-HD is gone, NGC-HD is gone, MyTV9-HD is gone, PBS-HD is gone, ESPN-HD and NESN-HD are on the wrong channels, etc etc. Is it just me? I checked my clear QAM channels and those are in the wrong locations. NESN-HD was in the clear, too, which it never has been before.

Did Cox just decide not to update cablecards with the new channel maps? Is this happening on boxes as well?
post #1015 of 2320 Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

seems every 6 months or so they shuffle and give us a few freebies, disc-hd, espn-hd, mhd was latest, now nesn-hd
post #1016 of 2320 Old 02-26-2008, 02:14 PM

It's not the maps that cause the problem, it's the cable card TV's themselves hanging on to old channel maps that have not been updated.

I had two cable card TVs, a channel map change would come down for some reason or another, TV one would be fine with the changes, the other would freak out and say all sorts of things were out.
post #1017 of 2320 Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Flash, how did you fix the problem? Or did it clear up on its own eventually, or not clear up at all?

I don't doubt that's what happened with your TV's, but I'm pretty confident it's not the case with my situation - I have a Tivo with 2 cards. The last time Cox remapped a couple HD channels I lost them, and then swapped cards and stuff and couldn't get them back. So I got a new box with new cards - in other words, this box didn't have the old channel map - and still didn't get those re-mapped channels.

Anyway, I don't want to clutter up this thread with more of my complaining, but if anyone else out there has cablecards, can you please let me know if you have lost channels or seen them move? Thanks.
post #1018 of 2320 Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Well Cox re-mapped a bunch of HD channels last night and decided not to tell it's cablecards, which means I've lost several and others are on the wrong channels. WFSB-HD is gone, NGC-HD is gone, MyTV9-HD is gone, PBS-HD is gone, ESPN-HD and NESN-HD are on the wrong channels, etc etc. Is it just me? I checked my clear QAM channels and those are in the wrong locations. NESN-HD was in the clear, too, which it never has been before.

Did Cox just decide not to update cablecards with the new channel maps? Is this happening on boxes as well?

By any chance did any one on COX view the CPTV HD broadcast of UConn Women's Basketball on Saturday February 23, 2008?

IN clear-QAM, is CPTV HD on virtural 24-1 as it is on Comcast???

Z
post #1019 of 2320 Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:

Flash, how did you fix the problem? Or did it clear up on its own eventually, or not clear up at all?

There was so much that happened I'm not sure what really fixed the problem, there were card swaps, re-pairings, but if I had to guess on the exact fix, I'd say it was a firmware upgrade to the TV.

I eventually got tired of it all and went with Cable boxes though
post #1020 of 2320 Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
CPTV HD
Did not see the game but CPTV is on QAM 107-1. Not as sophisticated as Comcast
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page