Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 2320 Old 08-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

With respect to the DVR price - the service is $9.99 per outlet. You do, of course, still need to pay for box rental.

As for your other question about storage - I've forwarded that to our engineering department.

And as a consumer, I sympathize with your issues. New technologies present new opportunities for video providers - some companies are very aggressive and some are much more conservative. I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for the clarification on the DVR monthly fee. I believe it was higher at one point and the equipment rental was lower so it was wash. Point there is that DirectTV charges $5 for the entire house. 2 HD DVRs with Cox cost $432/year; while 2 with DirectTV cost $440 for the 1st year and $240 for each year after....($5 lease fee for each, $10 for HD, $5 DVR + $200 one time fee for 2nd HDDVR).

1GB hard drives and external hard drives are hardly new technology, and considering the Motorola boxes with eSata ports have been out for years I don't think that can be considered a new technology either.

While I do appreciate the response, I really would like to know what the issue is with Cox not being able to, or not wanting to, turn on the eSata port to allow an external hard drive to be connected to the Motorola boxes. As far as I know for the markets that do have (or did have) the SA8300HD, you could connect an external hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2320 Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnfan View Post

1GB hard drives and external hard drives are hardly new technology, and considering the Motorola boxes with eSata ports have been out for years I don't think that can be considered a new technology either.

While I do appreciate the response, I really would like to know what the issue is with Cox not being able to, or not wanting to, turn on the eSata port to allow an external hard drive to be connected to the Motorola boxes. As far as I know for the markets that do have (or did have) the SA8300HD, you could connect an external hard drive.

As you have probably expected, it deals with content restrictions. I'm working on finding a more specific answer for you, though. These types of questions come up much less than items like, "My new box doesn't have a clock. Where can I return it?"
post #1503 of 2320 Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:

As you have probably expected, it deals with content restrictions. I'm working on finding a more specific answer for you, though. These types of questions come up much less than items like, "My new box doesn't have a clock. Where can I return it?"

Again, thanks for the response.

So how do DirectTv, Dish, AT&T, TiVo and even cox I believe where they have the SA8300 box all offer external hard drives as an option?

Just trying to understand the situation and get a read as to when Cox will offer more storage because if it is not in the near future I will probably need to make the decision of whether or not to switch to DirectTv or Dish. If it were not for the huge dish I would have already switched.

Thanks.
post #1504 of 2320 Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I think it has to do with the firmware in the Moto DVRs. I read somewhere on the web that Cox is coming out with replacement firmware sometime this year. I would hope as a Cox rep you would know about this, and if the new firmware and Cox would support eSata external drives? At this point in time, Cox looks silly supporting only 160gb drives. Its hard to believe that the size of the drive is related to content restrictions since the data in the external hard drive is not in any useable format, as of now. Just my two cents. If I am wrong re new firmware, please correct.
post #1505 of 2320 Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
With this DVR restriction talk, has anyone considered Moxi or Media Center with Cox Cable card?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #1506 of 2320 Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

With this DVR restriction talk, has anyone considered Moxi or Media Center with Cox Cable card?

I use SageTV and the firewire output of the STB. Some channels (Fox) prevent its use, but most are fine. I'm wondering how long that will last, but it's the one thing keeping me loyal to Cox.
post #1507 of 2320 Old 09-04-2009, 01:24 PM

There is some hope for us on the horizon as far as DVRs go. Cox is scheduled to begin the rollout of the their new multi-room dvr feature sometime this year. Back in April they announced their first (undisclosed) market would get the service sometime this year, with others to follow.

It will require a different box, Cox is using Cisco's Explorer 86000HDC, but it will have their new menus, multi-room dvr, AND 500 GB hard drives. That means someone with MR-DVR will have 1TB of drive space at their disposal. That should be enough for most.

Cisco says there will be a USB 2.0 port on the box. Whether Cox allows it to be enabled will be a whole different ballgame (don't hold your breath).
post #1508 of 2320 Old 09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrotta View Post

There is some hope for us on the horizon as far as DVRs go. Cox is scheduled to begin the rollout of the their new multi-room dvr feature sometime this year. Back in April they announced their first (undisclosed) market would get the service sometime this year, with others to follow.

It will require a different box, Cox is using Cisco's Explorer 86000HDC, but it will have their new menus, multi-room dvr, AND 500 GB hard drives. That means someone with MR-DVR will have 1TB of drive space at their disposal. That should be enough for most.

Cisco says there will be a USB 2.0 port on the box. Whether Cox allows it to be enabled will be a whole different ballgame (don't hold your breath).

With transfer speeds up to three times faster than usb 2.0, it would be better if they had an esata connection.

Chip
post #1509 of 2320 Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been recording raw .ts files using the firewire to my HTPC for years, read this thread on how to do it...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=403695
post #1510 of 2320 Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM

How much do you guys pay for service? Anyone grandfathered with a deal? Or is Cox strict about everyone paying exactly the rates on its website?
post #1511 of 2320 Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Appears everyone pays the same, sure there's some deals you can make over the phone, like free hbo for a few months but thats all a ploy so you get used to it and then they start charging you and there hoping you wont cancel.
post #1512 of 2320 Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrotta View Post

I'll do my best to keep this thread up-to-date on this, but I can only divulge info when I'm given the go-ahead.
post #1513 of 2320 Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Liked: 11
The good news is I just got e-mail from Cox saying ESPN360 will be available to Cox internet subscribers starting Sept 30th. The bad news is it's starting Sept 30th ... the UConn - URI football game Saturday is only on ESPN360 and not available to us.

Please, Cox, for us CT & RI college football fans, start it a few days earlier.

Allen
post #1514 of 2320 Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amq6240 View Post

Hi everyone,

For folks having problems picking up these signals, can you provide me the make and model of your TV(s). We believe it's a firmware issue and will contact the manufacturers directly to help get this resolved.

As an aside, this is not just a Cox issue. Our colleagues across the country are seeing this as well.

Thanks in advance for providing the specific info. It will help a great deal when working with the manufacturers.

Thanks,
Amy

I know this an old post, and Amy isn't here anymore, but I have a Vizio VO47LF that cannot pick up the new QAM mappings. The other TV, a Sony Bravia KDL-37M4000 can.
post #1515 of 2320 Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

The good news is I just got e-mail from Cox saying ESPN360 will be available to Cox internet subscribers starting Sept 30th. The bad news is it's starting Sept 30th ... the UConn - URI football game Saturday is only on ESPN360 and not available to us.

Please, Cox, for us CT & RI college football fans, start it a few days earlier.

We tried very hard to get ESPN to allow us to launch a few days early, knowing that the local fanbases would love to have access to this. We're very disappointed that it didn't work out, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Sorry, guys.
post #1516 of 2320 Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer35 View Post

I know this an old post, and Amy isn't here anymore, but I have a Vizio VO47LF that cannot pick up the new QAM mappings. The other TV, a Sony Bravia KDL-37M4000 can.

Before I bring this to the attention of guys smarter than me, are you sure it's just not picking them up in a different location?

Granted, I have absolutely no idea why this is like this, but I have an older Philips CRT HDTV (it weighs approximately 1 million pounds) that still picks up the locals in the 70s, not in locations that make sense to the local call number.
post #1517 of 2320 Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Concerning the QAM issue, i have a Sanyo 26" lcd in my bedroom which i bought in 2008, it picks up the new mappings no problem, but my 2007 panasonic plasma does not map the channels nor does a LG QAM tuner which was made in 2005.
All the same channels are there you just dont get them listed as 3-1 / 3-2 etc...EXACTLY like a ATSC OTA tuner

Also i noticed since the new mapping the so called "free" on demand come and go every 10 mins, channels are gone..... most likely the reason for the change
post #1518 of 2320 Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Before I bring this to the attention of guys smarter than me, are you sure it's just not picking them up in a different location?

Granted, I have absolutely no idea why this is like this, but I have an older Philips CRT HDTV (it weighs approximately 1 million pounds) that still picks up the locals in the 70s, not in locations that make sense to the local call number.

Yes, the 70's channels are not available after I do the channel scan. When I try to enter them manually I get nothing. The scan picked up the 3-1, 30-1, 61-1 mappings, but the TV gives me a message that there is no audio or video, and I get only a blue screen.
post #1519 of 2320 Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Eric,

I found some information regarding this that you may want to forward to your tech folks:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/83808

I will try the possible solutions listed in the article tonight.
post #1520 of 2320 Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the article! Now I have a quick question for COX customers in greater Hartford who don't use a converter box: What level of service do you now get without a converter box? With Comcast in New Britain, we now only get channels 3-22, 70, 95 and 99. My Sanyo 26" LCD HDTV has a QAM tuner, so I can still get most of the services I used to get before (such as YES, NESN, SNY, NECN, etc.).
post #1521 of 2320 Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Eric,

I found some information regarding this that you may want to forward to your tech folks:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/83808

I will try the possible solutions listed in the article tonight.

Neither potential solution worked.
post #1522 of 2320 Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Yes, the 70's channels are not available after I do the channel scan. When I try to enter them manually I get nothing. The scan picked up the 3-1, 30-1, 61-1 mappings, but the TV gives me a message that there is no audio or video, and I get only a blue screen.

Basically older tvs have a QAM tuner that does not receive what Cox is now converting to. 3.1,3.2,8.1,8.r,30.1 etc are being put out in QAM 256 which older QAM tuners can't receive. (The scan finds these and displays channel info but says no picture or sound.) The QAM channels that you still get such as those between channel 99 and channel 2 are still being put out in QAM 64. I don't understand all the tecnical ins and outs but this is happening all over the country and early QAM TV adopters are out of luck. Regards.
post #1523 of 2320 Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad488 View Post

Basically older tvs have a QAM tuner that does not receive what Cox is now converting to. 3.1,3.2,8.1,8.r,30.1 etc are being put out in QAM 256 which older QAM tuners can't receive. (The scan finds these and displays channel info but says no picture or sound.) The QAM channels that you still get such as those between channel 99 and channel 2 are still being put out in QAM 64. I don't understand all the tecnical ins and outs but this is happening all over the country and early QAM TV adopters are out of luck. Regards.

Relayer, I'll check with engineering to see if they can provide a specific answer, if not (let's hope) a solution.
post #1524 of 2320 Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad488 View Post

This info is correct. According to our engineers, Cox made the switch to 256 a couple years ago. If you think your set it too new not to be picking up the QAM channels, let me know.
post #1525 of 2320 Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:

This info is correct. According to our engineers, Cox made the switch to 256 a couple years ago. If you think your set it too new not to be picking up the QAM channels, let me know.

When I say older tvs - I mean the first generation of QAM tuners - like two to three years old. They just advertise themselves as QAM capable but with no specifics. The newer QAM receivers are OK and receive this QAM 256. I don't think that there is a solution - the cable companies prefer QAM 256 (uses less bandwidth) and the first gen QAM tuners are just not capable. Use these tvs with ATSC OTA or cable box input via HDMI. Regards to all.
post #1526 of 2320 Old 10-09-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:

My TV is a Vizio VO47LF purchased in April of 2008. It looks like it first came out a couple months prior to my purchase. When I initially tested the QAM shortly after I purchased it, I didn't have a problem, but when I tried it again last week, I was no longer able to receive them on their new channel assignments (30.1, 61.1, etc). They were also not available on the 70's.
post #1527 of 2320 Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Liked: 11
I have two sets, neither is new and both receive the remapped digital stations.
1. Toshiba DLP purchased in Oct 2006.
2. Sharp Aquos LCD purchased in June 2007.

I have a Cox dvr connected to the Toshiba via hdmi and the cable split going directly into the tuner. I watch one show using the tuner and record 2 on the dvr ... all in hd. No problems receiving the "analog" and unscrambled digital signals. Also use the tuner as 1 input to picture-next-to-picture, my wife can watch her show & me the ballgame at the same time, both in HD.

The Sharp in the bedroom just has cable, no box. Every night we watch Letterman in HD on 3.1 using the tuner.

IMHO, it's the design / manufacturer of the set, not the age. Unless, like dad488 said, it's a first gen tuner maybe a 5-6 yo design.

Allen
post #1528 of 2320 Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

I have two sets, neither is new and both receive the remapped digital stations.
1. Toshiba DLP purchased in Oct 2006.
2. Sharp Aquos LCD purchased in June 2007.

I have a Cox dvr connected to the Toshiba via hdmi and the cable split going directly into the tuner. I watch one show using the tuner and record 2 on the dvr ... all in hd. No problems receiving the "analog" and unscrambled digital signals. Also use the tuner as 1 input to picture-next-to-picture, my wife can watch her show & me the ballgame at the same time, both in HD.

The Sharp in the bedroom just has cable, no box. Every night we watch Letterman in HD on 3.1 using the tuner.

IMHO, it's the design / manufacturer of the set, not the age. Unless, like dad488 said, it's a first gen tuner maybe a 5-6 yo design.

When I mentioned age I meant that early versions of each manufacturer had this issue. They each fixed the prob/upgraded at different times. So you were lucky in your brand/model choice. The problem is that you cannot find any specs to indicate whether or not you would have the problem before buying, although I think that all new models are OK now.
post #1529 of 2320 Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Any new HD channels on the horizon?
post #1530 of 2320 Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member