Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 2320 Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

Thanks Eric. I'm a bit confused as to the cost/content of the Plus Package. Is there a list similar to this one that illustrates the details?

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/conne...tv/pricing.cox

You can find a lot more information here and here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2320 Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

These channels are being provided in the digital format to free more bandwidth for future HD channels, such as the Weather Channel HD, coming December 15.

While I understand the decisions you have to make, as a customer I get a $2 increase for SNY and then loose 4 channels.
post #1953 of 2320 Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

You can find a lot more information here and here.

Thanks - I guess my real question is if the new pricing will consist of : Advanced TV (say $65.97 for Preferred) + 7.99 for HD-DVR + 11.99 for DVR Service + Plus Package fee, whatever that might be?
post #1954 of 2320 Old 11-16-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks - I guess my real question is if the new pricing will consist of : Advanced TV (say $65.97 for Preferred) + 7.99 for HD-DVR + 11.99 for DVR Service + Plus Package fee, whatever that might be?
Here from the Cox San Diego's Channel Line-up, (dated Effective-9/1/10) is showing the additional HD Premiums included in the Plus Pak.
As far as I have seen this is a first for Cox to offer all HBOs, SHOs, Starz, Cinemax in HD.
San Diego lists these Channels as "+ Channel available with subscription to Cox Plus Pak"
Cox may have inadvertently published this pdf listing as I am fairly certain the Plus Pak is not widely available in San Diego yet.
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...llineup_sd.pdf
(Note: The PDF version does not match the HTML version http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandi...ch-lineup_0910)

I believe there is just a $5.00/month additional fee for the Plus Pak programming, Assuming you already are paying for 1 HD DVR and 1 HD STB, and are not adding additional receivers. Since most Plus Pak programming in San Diego, currently listed, is additional HBOs, SHOs, Starz, and Cinemax, If you don't subscribe to the Premiums your only getting 4 additional channels, for now, Discovery Kids HD, Outdoor HD, Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD.

San Diego Plus Pak Addt'l HBOs Addt'l SHOs Addt'l Starz Addt'l Cinemax
Discovery Kids HD HBO Signature HD Showtime East HD Starz Cinema HD Action Max HD
Outdoor HD HBO Family HD Showtime Showcase HD Starz in Black HD Thriller Max HD
Cooking Channel HD HBO Latino HD Showtime Extreme HD Starz Comedy HD Cinemax East HD
DIY HD HBO East HD TMC East HD Starz Kids & Family HD 5 Star Max HD
  HBO2 East HD TMC Extra HD Starz East HD More Max East HD
HBO Zone HD      
HBO Comedy HD      

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1955 of 2320 Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

While I understand the decisions you have to make, as a customer I get a $2 increase for SNY and then loose 4 channels.

We are offering a free digital receiver to analog-only customers so they can continue to watch the PEG channels if they so choose. Most providers are already "all-digital"
post #1956 of 2320 Old 11-17-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Dont get all caught up thinking WOW it's great to get all the Premium channels now in HD, for a expensive fee, go in your guide and see there lineup, bunch of older movies, boring repeats, like how many times can you watch the same movie year after year!
Most movies in your lifetime are once and done, owning movie is another waste, you have the Internet now learn to use it and unleash all it's fury!
If you dont know what i'm talking about.......continue to get ripped off.

Free OTA is fast becoming a reality for me, cause most show's/new's/sports is on the local's and in glorious FREE HD!
post #1957 of 2320 Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I already subscribe to HBO and SHO so getting them all in HD is a big deal for me. I can't stand watching shows/movies with sidebars anymore, so I have pretty much stopped watching anything not in HD. Especially since HBO does not offer any OnDemand content in HD. I mainly subscribe for the original programming, However having more movies in HD is just a bonus. Adding the East coast HD feeds to my line-up also gives me more opportunities for recording without conflicts.

I don't consider an additional $5.00/mo for multi-room DVR and all the premiums in HD to be an expensive fee. Now, do I consider $22.49/mo for HBO and SHO a bit expensive, yes.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #1958 of 2320 Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My issue has always been paying a DVR fee on top of renting the actual DVR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a ~$10 monthly DVR fee, which has nothing to do with the actual equipment.

It would be one thing if my recordings were stored remotely, and/or I were not already paying for EPG data through my regular cable subscription. But I believe it's the DVR unit that handles all the logic of scheduling recordings.

So if the plus package is indeed as I guessed above (subscription + DVR fee + DVR equipment + Plus package) - well, I'll continue to use my HTPC.
post #1959 of 2320 Old 11-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My issue has always been paying a DVR fee on top of renting the actual DVR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a ~$10 monthly DVR fee, which has nothing to do with the actual equipment.

It would be one thing if my recordings were stored remotely, and/or I were not already paying for EPG data through my regular cable subscription. But I believe it's the DVR unit that handles all the logic of scheduling recordings.

So if the plus package is indeed as I guessed above (subscription + DVR fee + DVR equipment + Plus package) - well, I'll continue to use my HTPC.

That's why I'm a Directv customer for video. It's $5/month for every box beyond the first one which is free, and $7/month dvr fee which covers the account.

Chip
post #1960 of 2320 Old 11-20-2010, 01:16 PM

so having had the whole house dvr for about 1 month i cannot yet recommend it. it is having too many issues that make me feel like its still a beta test vs a true release.
post #1961 of 2320 Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM

OK... after al this time of watching ESPN HD channel 711 and having the picture constantly freezing up and pixelating...i finally found the cause...

It is my : CELL PHONE!!!
Verizon blackberry storm 2.
Everytime an email or text message comes in or gets sent the picture freezes up and pixelate's heavy.
Turn off the phone and the pic is flawless.

Weird stuff.... and only on this channel.. Does anyone know what freq. this channel is on and why Verizon cell phone service would mess up-- just this one channel?
post #1962 of 2320 Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

OK... after al this time of watching ESPN HD channel 711 and having the picture constantly freezing up and pixelating...i finally found the cause...

It is my : CELL PHONE!!!
Verizon blackberry storm 2.
Everytime an email or text message comes in or gets sent the picture freezes up and pixelate's heavy.
Turn off the phone and the pic is flawless.

Weird stuff.... and only on this channel.. Does anyone know what freq. this channel is on and why Verizon cell phone service would mess up-- just this one channel?

This is an old problem actually. I had the same issue a few years back with AT&T and it had to do with the frequencies the cell phone uses overlapping the frequencies of the digital TV stations. Certain channels would always go out if the cell phone was in use (using Edge). It was very difficult to get anybody to believe me. I had to have Cox come out and see it for themselves, but it still didn't get fixed for a while.

I know with the help of folks on this thread, the problem was finally taken care of. I think it was a combination of Cox moving some of the frequencies around, and the fact that AT&T rolled out 3G service in my area which uses completely different frequencies. However, with the amount of digital channels now available, it does not surprise me if their is overlap again.
post #1963 of 2320 Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 AM

The issue happens when the cell phone falls off of the 3G network and has to use the legacy networks/frequencies. While some of the threads on the Internet are older, they still ring true, and the issue is not isolated to any one cable provider or set top manufacturer.
post #1964 of 2320 Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

The issue happens when the cell phone falls off of the 3G network and has to use the legacy networks/frequencies. While some of the threads on the Internet are older, they still ring true, and the issue is not isolated to any one cable provider or set top manufacturer.

I second this.

Problem is, AT&T GSM/GPRS/EDGE is ~850MHZ.. When the Cox tech that handles the channel mapping is asleep at the helm, and they map channels there.. welcome the black screen or pixelation when your phone is transmitting.. I bitched and complained about 2 years ago, because they mapped my most watch channels (broadcast networks) into this space.. They eventually moved it, but you need to keep in mind, devil's advocate, they have limited bandwith / channel spectrum.. They are robbing peter (removing analog programing) to pay paul (adding digital programming) - in order to reuse specrum. THey get 3 digital HD channels for every analog station that they recoop.. (even more for non-HD digital) ..

Someone should be lightly spanking the cox engineers, and strongly urge them to consider their channel/frequency use in order to maintain a good quality of service.. And if they try to give lame ass excuses that you have bad cabling in your house, call ******** on them... They should know VERY well, where commercial cellular service sits and stay away.. THis is usually only a problem with GSM/EDGE services, 850-900mhz -2G services, see AT&T/T-mobile.. CDMA modulation (sprint/verizon) rarely affects the tv.. 3g services on GSM carriers like HSDPA+ or CDMA2000 (sprint) are up in 1800-2100mhz range.. THe cox cable plant only goes up to 1000mhz (1ghz)..

MATT
post #1965 of 2320 Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer35 View Post

This is an old problem actually. I had the same issue a few years back with AT&T and it had to do with the frequencies the cell phone uses overlapping the frequencies of the digital TV stations. Certain channels would always go out if the cell phone was in use (using Edge). It was very difficult to get anybody to believe me. I had to have Cox come out and see it for themselves, but it still didn't get fixed for a while.

I know with the help of folks on this thread, the problem was finally taken care of. I think it was a combination of Cox moving some of the frequencies around, and the fact that AT&T rolled out 3G service in my area which uses completely different frequencies. However, with the amount of digital channels now available, it does not surprise me if their is overlap again.

Anyone experiencing this: do you have the new Cisco receivers, or the Motorola ones?
post #1966 of 2320 Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone experiencing this: do you have the new Cisco receivers, or the Motorola ones?

I had this problem a couple of years ago when I had Cox for my TV service. The only channel I noticed it happening with at that time was Comcast SportsNet New England HD, channel 720-something. It was at the time a Motorola DVR.
post #1967 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM

I've had the Whole House DVR for about 2 weeks now and am becoming increasingly frustrated with it and want to know if others are experiencing the same problem.

Whenever I set up a show to record, it cuts off 1 minute early. The show is supposed to be 30 or 60 minutes and it always shuts off at 29 or 59 minutes causing me to miss the end of shows. It's not just the ones that go for 31 minutes that are getting cut off either. It's every show.

I never had this problem with the Motorola boxes. Do others with the Cisco boxes have this problem, or is it just mine?

I'm also a bit frustrated with the lagginess of the remote box when controlling the DVR. I had ReplayTV back in the day and the lag wasn't nearly this bad, even when I was controlling the box over a wireless connection.

I'm also a bit disappointed in the new program guide. It takes three steps to do anything in it, compared to 1 or 2 at the most in the old guide.

Are there updates planned to fix any of this? Or do I just have a bad pair of boxes that I should swap out?
post #1968 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrotta View Post

I've had the Whole House DVR for about 2 weeks now and am becoming increasingly frustrated with it and want to know if others are experiencing the same problem.

Whenever I set up a show to record, it cuts off 1 minute early. The show is supposed to be 30 or 60 minutes and it always shuts off at 29 or 59 minutes causing me to miss the end of shows. It's not just the ones that go for 31 minutes that are getting cut off either. It's every show.

I never had this problem with the Motorola boxes. Do others with the Cisco boxes have this problem, or is it just mine?

I'm also a bit frustrated with the lagginess of the remote box when controlling the DVR. I had ReplayTV back in the day and the lag wasn't nearly this bad, even when I was controlling the box over a wireless connection.

I'm also a bit disappointed in the new program guide. It takes three steps to do anything in it, compared to 1 or 2 at the most in the old guide.

Are there updates planned to fix any of this? Or do I just have a bad pair of boxes that I should swap out?

Is there an option to extend the recording time? My Directv dvr lets me add one minute or more to the time.

Chip
post #1969 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post

Is there an option to extend the recording time? My Directv dvr lets me add one minute or more to the time.

There is, but it interferes with recording back to back shows. And again, I never had this problem with the others.
post #1970 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is, but it interferes with recording back to back shows. And again, I never had this problem with the others.

Can you record only one show at a time then?

Chip
post #1971 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
I'm actually loving my Whole Home DVR. I had it installed last week, and Cox is giving a 1/2 off discount on the $75 installation fee. Considering it took the tech about 4 hours to set it up perfectly, I'm not complaing about the installation fee like a lot of you have been. It's NOT an easy set-up.

Anyway, I also had a problem with shows stopping a little early, and I also have added extra recording time at the end to combat this problem. You people have to realize this is a work in progress and it's not going to be 100% flawless or perfect this quick.

I'm enjoying the added HBO/Showtime HD channels in the Plus package, and am looking forward to whatever additions are coming in the future.

My only gripe is that you're not able to control live tv (FF/RW, etc) on the slave unit. But there's also a way around that. If you record the show you're watching on the slave box from the master, you can pause and rewind, giving yourself a buffer. There's 500 gigs on the new hard drive and I haven't come close to filling it up yet. Then, just delete the show when you're done with it. Maybe there will be a fix in the future for this, but that's a good workaround for it for the time being.
post #1972 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 01:23 PM

completely agree,

its cutting off shows a smidge early, the lag is very annoying, it does take extra steps just to do something, sometimes ill go from 700 to 701 (nbc to cbs) and cbs is blank for 15-30 seconds, sometimes ill channel up or down and there is a lag before it actually does it, the lag on the program guide is very frustrating, the list goes on, the host has frozen a few times, once required replacement, other times a signal from cox, even the font size on the new program guide seems smaller, i find myself squinting to see it, not an issue on the old guide. my feeling is that even though its released it feels much more like a beta test still

dont get me wrong, its a step in the right direction and i like it, but at the price we are paying per month in general, and a premium for whole house, id not expect some of these issues
Quote:

post #1973 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Can anyone tell me if we here in CT will be getting the Giants game on Fox tomorrow night?
post #1974 of 2320 Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnhuskiesfans View Post

completely agree,

its cutting off shows a smidge early, the lag is very annoying, it does take extra steps just to do something, sometimes ill go from 700 to 701 (nbc to cbs) and cbs is blank for 15-30 seconds, sometimes ill channel up or down and there is a lag before it actually does it, the lag on the program guide is very frustrating, the list goes on, the host has frozen a few times, once required replacement, other times a signal from cox, even the font size on the new program guide seems smaller, i find myself squinting to see it, not an issue on the old guide. my feeling is that even though its released it feels much more like a beta test still

dont get me wrong, its a step in the right direction and i like it, but at the price we are paying per month in general, and a premium for whole house, id not expect some of these issues

it's not just you beleive me and its very F**KING anoying
post #1975 of 2320 Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:

completely agree,

..., even the font size on the new program guide seems smaller, i find myself squinting to see it, not an issue on the old guide...

Is your guide text size set for medium or large?

Menu/Guide Display/Other Settings/Guide Text Size
post #1976 of 2320 Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question. Is the new Trio guide for all DVRs or just for ones enabled with whole home DVR service? Maybe it's a silly question, but the releases about the Trio guide made it sound like it comes along with WHDVR.

Thanks.
post #1977 of 2320 Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

Is your guide text size set for medium or large?

Menu/Guide Display/Other Settings/Guide Text Size

thank you for that assistance.

to the person asking about trio guide, yes, whole house dvr as far as i know.

in reference to all of us dealing with 30 minute shows cutting off at 29 minutes, and 60 minutes ones at 59 minutes, I called COX. they want to roll a truck. I said this is not an issue with me, this is a software or firmware issue, but they insist even though I said this is across the boards that others with whole home DVRs are saying the same thing.
post #1978 of 2320 Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:

thank you for that assistance.

to the person asking about trio guide, yes, whole house dvr as far as i know.

in reference to all of us dealing with 30 minute shows cutting off at 29 minutes, and 60 minutes ones at 59 minutes, I called COX. they want to roll a truck. I said this is not an issue with me, this is a software or firmware issue, but they insist even though I said this is across the boards that others with whole home DVRs are saying the same thing.

They may need to go out there and see WHY its happening, even if its happening to everyone. Not everything can be fixed remotely.
post #1979 of 2320 Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

What HD DVRs is Cox giving out these days?
post #1980 of 2320 Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM

that makes sense Harry

they are cisco boxes, i think this is the host http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/pr...p_8600hdc.html
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page