Hartford, CT - Cox - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2011 of 2320 Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I reprogrammed an old visio today just for the hell of it and that channel shows up now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2320 Old 12-31-2010, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Why cannot i get without a box get channel 82 WGN?, is it scrambled?
post #2013 of 2320 Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad488 View Post

To whom it may concern @ Cox

However you may have configured QAM channel 77.6 which is CPTV4U - it cannot be found on my old Vizio TVs vx20L and vx37L. It does appear on my newer sony and samsung tvs. There was a similar problem a few years ago and the techs made some changes to resolve the problem. thanks

I tried a rescan and no luck - the channels do not even show up.
post #2014 of 2320 Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad488 View Post

I tried a rescan and no luck - the channels do not even show up.

I remember seeing a similar problem on here last year. Let me look into it for you.
post #2015 of 2320 Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi All;

Just swapped out my DCH3416 HD-DVR yesterday for a nice new slick looking DCX3400-M box.
Got into the service menu and discovered that it is equipped with a 500GIG HDD.

Does anyone in here know if all this space is usable? Or is it size limited via firmware or software to the standard-160gig?

Looking for people that already own this box and know or have recorded an amount of shows that shows the entire HD size is available.?
I love the native pass-through option... it also appears more responsive to remote buttons pushed...unlike the old DCH box, which lagged something fierce. Especially while using the guide.
post #2016 of 2320 Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

I remember seeing a similar problem on here last year. Let me look into it for you.

Update - problem is solved. CPTV 4U has been moved from 77.6 to 24.2 and it is found on all tvs - old and new. Thanks.
post #2017 of 2320 Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

Hi All;

Just swapped out my DCH3416 HD-DVR yesterday for a nice new slick looking DCX3400-M box.
Got into the service menu and discovered that it is equipped with a 500GIG HDD.

Does anyone in here know if all this space is usable? Or is it size limited via firmware or software to the standard-160gig?

Looking for people that already own this box and know or have recorded an amount of shows that shows the entire HD size is available.?
I love the native pass-through option... it also appears more responsive to remote buttons pushed...unlike the old DCH box, which lagged something fierce. Especially while using the guide.

Have the box, and I got excited too. Posted on here a few times about it, only 160GB sadly. To get a bigger DVR you need to go with the whole home DVR, which you can't go solo yet, in time though.

::Edit:: Also, mine was faster too at first, it slows down later too. It slows down as you add more scheduled records, and series records, etc, and take up the flash (i think) memory. Its just you don't have anything set yet, so its speedy. You might see a little difference after all said and done, hard to compare by memory.
post #2018 of 2320 Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Harry View Post

Have the box, and I got excited too. Posted on here a few times about it, only 160GB sadly. To get a bigger DVR you need to go with the whole home DVR, which you can't go solo yet, in time though.

::Edit:: Also, mine was faster too at first, it slows down later too. It slows down as you add more scheduled records, and series records, etc, and take up the flash (i think) memory. Its just you don't have anything set yet, so its speedy. You might see a little difference after all said and done, hard to compare by memory.

Thanks Hard-Harry...

Thats kinda what i figured.... oh well screwed again by COX Cable...
think i'm going to the AT&T store tomorrow... U-verse was just listed as available in my neighborhood... and they are giving great deals from what i hear...
Will keep you all posted.
post #2019 of 2320 Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM

No, please don't keep me posted. Bye
post #2020 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Hi all...

Update....
Went to AT&T store and found that they were 20 bucks more expensive then Cox with a much slower internet connection.. hmm not good.

So called Cox to ask about whole home DVR service and waa-laa... life is good.
With a bundle deal and adding whole home dvr service to one more additional TV my bill actually lowered by 6 bucks.

New Cisco boxes with an entirely usable 500GIG HDD.
They will be here Monday to install...

Now my question is....
What does the install consist of??
Any additional wiring needed or does everything communicate over the coax?
If anyone here has had it installed let me know what the deal is.... hate to run more wiring .... co-ax Cable of course is already there.... but don"t feel like having them run Cat5 cable or something...
post #2021 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes there is a professional installation fee required, fees vary by market. $50.00 to $99.00. Time allotted for installation is 2-3 hours.

No additional wiring is needed. All signals travel over Coax. If Cox ever enables the Host as a DLNA Home Network server you may need an Ethernet connection, but Cox will most likely install a Ethernet to MoCA adapter to connect to your Home Network.

If your interior wiring, coax, is not RG6 and pristine, meaning no kinks, splitters, frays, it will need to be replaced. Any RG59 coax may also need to be replaced. All terminal connectors will need to be replaced all coax and splitters must be able to pass 1GHz signals. Some homes, mostly newer, where no modifications have been made to the coax should not need much extra work.

A special trap is also placed at the demarcation point to keep your network from leaking back to the pedestal.

Installation Posts:
Quote:
Installation did take about two hours. The tech checked all connections from the street and though the house. I structured wired my house about 12 years ago so I didn't expect any problems. The tech also said that this was a "36 point" job for the two boxes and Cox allocates one hour for each 12 points, so in other words 3 hours. Don't complain, I commend Cox for allocating the time to their techs so the job can be done right. What takes so long is the hardware doing it's first sync, then firmware upgrade, then I think another sync. It is excruciating! It will be interesting to see if the new hardware corrects the audio dropouts and macro blocking. I should mention the limitations after observing for about 15 minutes.

Quote:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19470071
Does that mean older (20 years) homes need new interior cable runs?

Every situation is different. Most modern coax cable is fine, but some cables have more roll off at higher frequencies than others that will result in the higher channels with less signal at the receiver for those channels, and too much signal for the lower channels. A bigger factor is the passive devices used in the home, such as splitters, connectors, etc. A potential big problem for homeowners will be situations where they bought some sort of house amp that is only rated to 750 or 860 Mhz and have a sharp rolloff after the stated spec. I've seen homes and situations where there is a 20 dB swing from the lower channels to the upper channels due to cabling and devices on the lines.
Here is a really good Article regarding MoCA Home Networking. "Testing And Deployment: Making MoCA In-Home Networking Easier"
http://www.cable360.net/ct/sections/features/44237.html

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2022 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Yes there is a professional installation fee required, fees vary by market. $50.00 to $99.00. Time allotted for installation is 2-3 hours.

If your interior wiring, coax, is not RG6 and pristine, meaning no kinks, splitters, frays, it will need to be replaced. Any RG59 coax may also need to be replaced. All terminal connectors will need to be replaced all coax and splitters must be able to pass 1GHz signals. Some homes, mostly newer, where no modifications have been made to the coax should not need much extra work.

A special trap is also placed at the demarcation point to keep your network from leaking back to the pedestal.

Installation Posts:

Here is a really good Article regarding MoCA Home Networking. "Testing And Deployment: Making MoCA In-Home Networking Easier"

Wow... nice reply.....
thanks... yes all my cabling was done by me using the best RG6 i could find. All runs are pristine.
How do the 2 boxes communicate with each other?? are they physically connected to one another or is a splitter put in to branch off?
I have another TV in the house right now which will not participate at all with an HD or DVR services... just the basic cable service over line to the in TV tuner.
Right now i have a main line coming into a 3way splitter... one goes for main room (which is where the host DVR will go )..one line for upstairs Bedroom. (which is where the client box will be going) and one for the basement which is TV straight tuner function.
How will this type of set up be wired? so both new host/client boxes can talk? and downstairs TV will be able to function with no restrictions as it does now?

thanks....
post #2023 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Wow... nice reply.....
thanks... yes all my cabling was done by me using the best RG6 i could find. All runs are pristine.
How do the 2 boxes communicate with each other?? are they physically connected to one another or is a splitter put in to branch off?
I have another TV in the house right now which will not participate at all with an HD or DVR services... just the basic cable service over line to the in TV tuner.
Right now i have a main line coming into a 3way splitter... one goes for main room (which is where the host DVR will go )..one line for upstairs Bedroom. (which is where the client box will be going) and one for the basement which is TV straight tuner function.
How will this type of set up be wired? so both new host/client boxes can talk? and downstairs TV will be able to function with no restrictions as it does now?

thanks....
The two boxes communicate just over the Coax. Most likely Cox will "Certify" the entire home, so that if you add more equipment later everything is already tested.

It is a bit technical but the article is very informative for more info on MoCA Home networking:

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2024 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The two boxes communicate just over the Coax. Most likely Cox will "Certify" the entire home, so that if you add more equipment later everything is already tested.

It is a bit technical but the article is very informative for more info on MoCA Home networking:

Awesome thanks..... i'm thinking that perhaps the only hold back for this whole thing may be the actual cable coming from the COX box across the street... all underground cabling that i know is original when house was built back in 1986. I'm sure it is not the most up-to-date coax.. and that perhaps may be a problem.
post #2025 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks..... i'm thinking that perhaps the only hold back for this whole thing may be the actual cable coming from the COX box across the street... all underground cabling that i know is original when house was built back in 1986. I'm sure it is not the most up-to-date coax.. and that perhaps may be a problem.
This video may also help explain things.

http://vimeo.com/16525295

Its direct from MoCA's website.
post #2026 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
This video may also help explain things.

http://vimeo.com/16525295

Its direct from MoCA's website.

All very good info thanks for all your help!!!

Looking forward to the new system....

I will give some updates/reviews after install next Monday....

Cheers!!
post #2027 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Can one pause live TV on the non-DVR unit of a whole home setup?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2028 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM

From what i understand...NO...but a way around that is to simply record the show you are watching and then u are able to pause,fwd.rew... all the typical.
And as long as you are not already recording 2 shows you are good to go.
post #2029 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This link is about Comcast so I'm not sure if is relevant to Cox.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2889

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2030 of 2320 Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Here is a review from San Diego. He also posted a YouTube video of how slow the channel changes are. Unfortunately the dislikes I have seen posted outnumber the likes, hopefully this will improve with later versions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19707106

Hope this clears it up caeguy.....

According to this review he can enable record from client box.. which i would assume enables you to delete from this as well.
post #2031 of 2320 Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Hi all..... Well got my new Whole Home DVR service set up today... took 3 hours to get it all working correctly... but now it is nice...
I have one question... Does anyone here know how to get into the Cisco 8642HDC host box service menu so i can set Native pass-through??
What combination of button pushes opens this baby up??
i will give a full review after i have figured out all the nuances of the new Trio Guide.... but from what i see..... ME LIKEY!!!!
post #2032 of 2320 Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Can one pause live TV on the non-DVR unit of a whole home setup?

No - you can only pause recorded programming from the client boxes.
post #2033 of 2320 Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Hi EJW....

Can you do me a favor and check with a tech or engineer to find out how to get into more setup menu's for the Cisco 8642HDC??
Looking to set it up for Native Pass-through..... also can you check and see if there is a way to turn on a screen saver function when programming is paused??
With the old passport software ... if u paused a program long enough it would get small and randomly move it's position on the screen....
The new boxes don't seem to have this nice feature.... or do they but i can't get to it??
REALLY need to get into more setup menu's with this BOX....

HELP...... Really want to set up Native Pass-Through....
with the old DCX3400 box i had... that was only able to be selected if you got into the service menu....

Please keep me posted... Thanks...
post #2034 of 2320 Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Can you do me a favor and check with a tech or engineer to find out how to get into more setup menu's for the Cisco 8642HDC??
Looking to set it up for Native Pass-through.

Try this?

Set up your set-top for HDTV or SDTV by completing the following steps:
Make sure the set-top is Off and the TV is On.
On the front panel of the set-top, press GUIDE and INFO at the same time. This will activate the HD
Setup Wizard.
Follow the on-screen instructions to choose HD or SD mode and wide screen (16:9) or standard
screen (4:3) depending upon your TV type. See page 11 for more information on the scan rate.
At the conclusion of the on-screen instructions, press POWER on the set-top to begin watching TV

Obtained from page 5 of the fallowing manual

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/su.../4026881_A.pdf
post #2035 of 2320 Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Try this?

Set up your set-top for HDTV or SDTV by completing the following steps:
Make sure the set-top is Off and the TV is On.
On the front panel of the set-top, press GUIDE and INFO at the same time. This will activate the HD
Setup Wizard.
Follow the on-screen instructions to choose HD or SD mode and wide screen (16:9) or standard
screen (4:3) depending upon your TV type. See page 11 for more information on the scan rate.
At the conclusion of the on-screen instructions, press POWER on the set-top to begin watching TV

Obtained from page 5 of the fallowing manual

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/su.../4026881_A.pdf

Hi Hardharry..;;

I tried that and no good.... it does not work... followed the instructions per the manual and nothing... not a single thing happens... no setup wizard...nothing.

i called Cox today and the first time i got the floor supervisor who said they have no info and recommended i call Cisco... so just for laughs i did... and as i suspected...Cisco said they need the Cox vendor number...and without that they cannot help me.... only Cox engineers can get that info from Cisco...
So i called back Cox and persisted that they put me in contact with an engineer... well the closest i got was they gathered all my information and i was promised a call back from that department with-in the next 24 hours;.
We shall see.....
Gosh.... why do things have to be so complicated??
All of this to find out that all u need to do is hold or press a number of buttons and waa-laa...
Why can't they just publish this information...?????????????

This is crazy.... as always... they give you equipment that is capable of so much... but no one knows how to access or use it?????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #2036 of 2320 Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Has anyone else noticed that FOX HD (61.1) picture skips or studders only during FOX primetime shows? I have verified this on two of my HDTVs (different brands). I am not using a cable box, just the cable going into the TV.
post #2037 of 2320 Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Hi Hardharry..;;

This is crazy.... as always... they give you equipment that is capable of so much... but no one knows how to access or use it?????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, dug some more and found this on the DSLReports forum:

"When watching the tech, he put it in diag mode by holding down on the power button for about 4 sec, power light flashes and then press power button again. I believe that there were 37 pages of system info showing connectivity status."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r247...d-Navigation-M

Try that?
post #2038 of 2320 Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm looking into that resolution question for you....
post #2039 of 2320 Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Ok, dug some more and found this on the DSLReports forum:

"When watching the tech, he put it in diag mode by holding down on the power button for about 4 sec, power light flashes and then press power button again. I believe that there were 37 pages of system info showing connectivity status."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r247...d-Navigation-M

Try that?

Hi HardHarry;

Yes , that i knew about.... but it has nothing to do with settings... all that is ... is a device to check and see status of connections and information packets. you Cannot adjust anything in this "Diagnostics Menu"...
But thanks for trying to help.... hopefully someday this information will come out to let all of us tweak until our thumbs fall off... lol....
post #2040 of 2320 Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 PM

EJ, or anyone else with knowledge, is there an update coming for the whole house DVR?

I've had it for two months now and am just about ready to return the boxes because it's all but unusable, has the feel of an early beta, and certainly not worth the extra money and aggravation. My wife's constant mantra is "have I told you how much I hate this new box?"

I've detailed some of the issues I have with the service in previous posts, but they include:

- shortening all shows by one minute, no matter what their length. ie 30 min shows only record for 29 mins. Even shows that are scheduled for 31 minutes only record for 30 minutes.
-fast forwarding is laggy and jumpy at best.
-frequent freezes during fast forwarding, requiring you to stop the show and restart it.
-frequent missed recordings. The box has had "technical difficulties" on a dozen shows in just the last week.
-not showing conflicting recordings, until you find out the next day that a show couldn't record because of a conflict.
-inconsistent display of conflicting recordings. Sometimes it shows you the conflict. Other times it tells you to go figure it out.
-the program guide is ok, but it takes you three steps to do everything. Most of those functions only took 1 or two steps on the Motorola boxes. It's tedious and unnecessary.

If these items are going to be fixed soon, I'll consider keeping the Cisco boxes. Otherwise, I'm turning them in. I don't like paying extra money for something that doesn't work as well as the old box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page