Hartford, CT - Cox - Page 74 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2191 of 2320 Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all - Can anyone share their experiences with cable card and Cox? I'm thinking of ditching my cable boxes in lieu of a few HTPC's with cable card. Anyone running a HTPC with a cable card setup? How does SDV work with the TA? Any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2320 Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I haven't checked tons of channels, but tonight I've noticed that 1137, 1131, and 1151 are coming in very pixelated and broken up. My Tivo says they are all between 94 and 99 on it's signal quality meter. Wondering if it's just me with this problem or if it's everyone. I'm on the Meriden system, by the way.

Thanks!

EDIT: By the way, I am having the problem on both my Tivo Premier and my HD Moto.
post #2193 of 2320 Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

I haven't checked tons of channels, but tonight I've noticed that 1137, 1131, and 1151 are coming in very pixelated and broken up. My Tivo says they are all between 94 and 99 on it's signal quality meter. Wondering if it's just me with this problem or if it's everyone. I'm on the Meriden system, by the way.

Thanks!

EDIT: By the way, I am having the problem on both my Tivo Premier and my HD Moto.

I'm trying to watch the Yankees on 1031 and US Open Tennis on 1029 and both are so pixelated they are unwatchable. I tried calling Cox and did the self signal to reset my box ... didn't help and may have made it worse. Just turned on ABC as a test, that looks fine.

Edit: SD versions of YES & ESPN2 are pixelated too.

Allen
post #2194 of 2320 Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Hi all... yes ...i have noticed that since the "hurricane" i have been having more issues with pixelated channels.... as well as audio drop outs... and fyi....i am using the Cisco WHDVR (yeah i know..it's a piece of crap).. Many reboots but still no help.. I am wondering if Cox has issues with cables and such since the storm.. that they may need to address?
post #2195 of 2320 Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone seen very strange discoloration on NESN HD the last couple of days? It's been so bad during the last two Sox games, that I've had to switch over to the SD channel.
post #2196 of 2320 Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Anyone seen very strange discoloration on NESN HD the last couple of days? It's been so bad during the last two Sox games, that I've had to switch over to the SD channel.

Yup...I saw the same thing.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2197 of 2320 Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 PM

I've been having problems with the Yankees on YES HD all year with pixelation. I assumed it was a problem on my end. Other channels too, I think all around the 825hz range.
post #2198 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer35 View Post

I've been having problems with the Yankees on YES HD all year with pixelation. I assumed it was a problem on my end. Other channels too, I think all around the 825hz range.

If Cox stayed away from the cellular phone spectrum for the digital channels, nobody would be having these Pixelation problems. Turn off your smartphones and watch the pixelation go away
post #2199 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgalin View Post

If Cox stayed away from the cellular phone spectrum for the digital channels, nobody would be having these Pixelation problems. Turn off your smartphones and watch the pixelation go away

I don't own a smartphone & still have these pixelation problems.

Allen
post #2200 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Looks like a firmware update to the Moto boxes came down last night. Firmware shows Echo 3.6.044 Built Apr 27, 2011. Had a reboot at 4:40 am this morning.

Some changes to the guide and DVR screens. The "Guide" button is now used to start a search. The "B" button now brings you directly to a show (i guess) Cox has selected for you. Cox selected Dr Oz, don't know why, never watch him, the "B" button brought me to CBS-SD, not the HD channel. What a waste.

"A" is still Sort but it has multi-functions. It can list HD only, jump to prime time or a specific date. Looks like these may be useful. Disk space graph is now on the main DVR menu and the "List" button selects the DVR submenus.

Overall, the box seams faster. Switching from FF to play seams more responsive. It will get a workout tonight with all my scheduled recordings, better not miss NCIS.

Allen
post #2201 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

I don't own a smartphone & still have these pixelation problems.

Any GSM based phone, so AT&T/Tmobile, smartphone or not.
post #2202 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgalin View Post

Any GSM based phone, so AT&T/Tmobile, smartphone or not.

Nope, I have a basic Verizon flip phone. No GSM phones in the household.

Allen
post #2203 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah...after the update, the overall experience seems faster.

post #2204 of 2320 Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Well, 1st show scheduled under this new firmware didn't work. Jeopardy series scheduled, it recorded the first few seconds and quit. Record entry shows 6:59-6:59. Thanks Cox.

Update: Cox support sent a signal to reset the box. After that, 6.5 hours of shows recorded without a hitch. Keeping an eye on it tonight.

Allen
post #2205 of 2320 Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Looks like a firmware update to the Moto boxes came down last night. Firmware shows Echo 3.6.044 Built Apr 27, 2011. Had a reboot at 4:40 am this morning.

Some changes to the guide and DVR screens. The "Guide" button is now used to start a search. The "B" button now brings you directly to a show (i guess) Cox has selected for you. Cox selected Dr Oz, don't know why, never watch him, the "B" button brought me to CBS-SD, not the HD channel. What a waste.

"A" is still Sort but it has multi-functions. It can list HD only, jump to prime time or a specific date. Looks like these may be useful. Disk space graph is now on the main DVR menu and the "List" button selects the DVR submenus.

Overall, the box seams faster. Switching from FF to play seams more responsive. It will get a workout tonight with all my scheduled recordings, better not miss NCIS.

I like the percentage use display, and it looks like the problem with the bar along the left side of the screen using HDMI is gone.
post #2206 of 2320 Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Well, 1st show scheduled under this new firmware didn't work. Jeopardy series scheduled, it recorded the first few seconds and quit. Record entry shows 6:59-6:59. Thanks Cox.

Update: Cox support sent a signal to reset the box. After that, 6.5 hours of shows recorded without a hitch. Keeping an eye on it tonight.

In the list mode, under "Lost & Found" it should tell you why it missed the recording. You can also play stuff that you deleted but is still on the hard drive. Nice.
post #2207 of 2320 Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

In the list mode, under "Lost & Found" it should tell you why it missed the recording. You can also play stuff that you deleted but is still on the hard drive. Nice.

It wasn't a missed recording, it recorded the first 10 sec or so then quit. L&F shows the <1 min recording and no reason for quitting. No additional problems since Cox reset the box.

Agree, trash can is a handy feature.

Allen
post #2208 of 2320 Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM

Is anyone else seeing a slow down in reaction time with the new guide when ff or rw. it seems that there is a delay before the show will start when you stop the ff or rw. I use the 10 second jump back when rewinding and it takes 3 seconds to start the show again.
post #2209 of 2320 Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 PM

How many people are switching back to the old phone company because during the storm their cable phone was out. Everyone I know who had the old system had a working phone, see ya Cox.
post #2210 of 2320 Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 PM

I am tempted too, horrible not having Internet or phone for a week now. Just got back power late last night and disappointed I haven't seen a single cox vehicle in town.
post #2211 of 2320 Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichael View Post

How many people are switching back to the old phone company because during the storm their cable phone was out. Everyone I know who had the old system had a working phone, see ya Cox.

If you can get back on the old copper phone system that'll work, but if they only offer you the u-verse option, it is the same as cable.
post #2212 of 2320 Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichael View Post

We were lucky, part of the 8% in Cheshire that didn't have sustained outage. We did have two short power outages (2 hrs each) but never lost Cox cable ... phone was up 100%, even during the outages.

Allen
post #2213 of 2320 Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM

After 9 days w/o service, COX finally ran my dropped wire this afternoon.

Yesterday was misery though, seeing a cox truck across the street who was there to work on a couple neighbor's homes but not mine. He was a great guy though who was willing to also fix mine, but turns out didn't have spare wire on him to re run it; but will give him the credit for going above and beyond for trying to help.
post #2214 of 2320 Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Does anyone know what the Cox contract states for service outage? I checked on their Website but can't find anything. I have a generator and would have TV if I had Satellite (DirecTV or Dish Network) service. Now I have electricity back but still no cable. I'm not trying to be impatient but I have two young children and no TV (or phone/Internet) for two weeks is very trying. My contract with Cox runs a few more months but I was wondering how long I have to wait (weeks/months/contract expiration) until I get service before I can switch? No matter what as soon as I'm able I will switch my TV service to DirectV. Thanks.
post #2215 of 2320 Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitter View Post

If you can get back on the old copper phone system that'll work, but if they only offer you the u-verse option, it is the same as cable.

My friends who have a U-verse bundle, its not available where I am - I checked already, had their phone working the whole time their power was out. One person just got their power back last night.
post #2216 of 2320 Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Von Hassel View Post

Does anyone know what the Cox contract states for service outage? I checked on their Website but can't find anything. I have a generator and would have TV if I had Satellite (DirecTV or Dish Network) service. Now I have electricity back but still no cable. I'm not trying to be impatient but I have two young children and no TV (or phone/Internet) for two weeks is very trying. My contract with Cox runs a few more months but I was wondering how long I have to wait (weeks/months/contract expiration) until I get service before I can switch? No matter what as soon as I'm able I will switch my TV service to DirectV. Thanks.

I found out the hard way you have to call in your outage or go to a local cox solutions store. I was out until yesterday so I feel your pain. Once back up, you can call them and they will prorate for the duration of the outage.
post #2217 of 2320 Old 11-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Liked: 12
For those of you with power but no cox I strongly suggest an antenna of some kind. I have a tuner in my laptop and get TV even without power.

If you have a TV even an indoor antenna would probably get off air with no problem.

Carl von hassel, CPTV has a strong signal and kids TV all day. It's out there for free.
post #2218 of 2320 Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been about 6 months since I last asked about this on here, and back then there was nothing to report new as of last August. Anyway, any news on when video on demand will be available on the Tivo Premiere from Cox?
post #2219 of 2320 Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Thanks for your replies. I would love to be able to use an antenna but I live in the sticks (Granby) and probably wouldn't get decent connection. My problem with Cox actually goes back to before the storm. I have called them about problems with all my services going back six weeks now. And of course I only called them about 25% of the times a problem occurred. This Saturday is the second time a tech is coming out "to fix my problem". My Internet connection is so unreliable that I turned wifi off on my phone and I'm using 3g. At times I have no television service on all my tvs. It is extremely frustrating. Of course if I was to go with Directv I don't know what I would use for Internet.
post #2220 of 2320 Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Liked: 12
Well you might be surprised. If you have, or can get an indoor antenna, give it a try. A lot of folks have one stored somewhere in a pile of stuff. If you do, sweep around to Springfield, where there is ABC,FOX, NBC, and PBS. I think WFSB has a low power station there as well.
I have Cox on my component input and a 2 bay bow tie antenna at just above gutter height, in my antenna input. My may reason was to get WGBY as a backup/ different schedule/ PBS station. I do have a good shot to the North from my location (central CT) and Springfield stations are no problem. My emergency TV is my laptop with an antenna for local news.
It's out there. I'm not shooting down Cox because I do enjoy the variety, but an alternative is good to have. My two cents.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page