1Likes

post #2281 of 2345 Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryfoster View Post

According to my brief Google search it sounds like there was an issue with their email storage platform. Cox.net says they're replacing their email storage platform equipment. It sounds like they had an issue with their email storage platform and are working on replacing it. Personally I would recommend moving away from your ISP's email account in favor of one of the many free email services out there to avoid situations like this (Concise article with other reasons to switch email providers).
For more on the outage:
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/alert.cox?alertId=bc49bbd0-466b-11e2-fcc8-000000000000
And
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cox+email+outage+cause

Thanks for the advice and links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2345 Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone getting audio drops on the HD Music channel 1933?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2283 of 2345 Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nothing new? Any new DVR boxes coming out?

Hello? McFly?
post #2284 of 2345 Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Red Sox View Post

Nothing new? Any new DVR boxes coming out?

Hello? McFly?
New Cox/Cisco Guide Shows Promise; Little Magic

"Cox says it will launch a new IP video gateway – six tuners, 2TB of storage – from Cisco in the first quarter of this year, and presumably that will facilitate the transfer of content between TV STB and mobile devices."

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-01/new-coxcisco-guide-shows-promise-reveals-kinks/#

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2285 of 2345 Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I waited long enough and off to the Cox store to get a Tuning Adapter for my cablecard. Thanks SDV.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2286 of 2345 Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone running a TA? After a few phone calls with Cox...it's working. The bad news is that the TA has introduced a 5.0 dBmv drop in signal to the cablecard unit. Some channels are so weak..they don't come in at all. Anyone else experiencing a similiar situation?

Of course Cox is sending out a tech on Tuesday...no charge.

post #2287 of 2345 Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

"Cox says it will launch a new IP video gateway – six tuners, 2TB of storage – from Cisco in the first quarter of this year, and presumably that will facilitate the transfer of content between TV STB and mobile devices."

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-01/new-coxcisco-guide-shows-promise-reveals-kinks/#

My sister went from analog to digital yesterday and her installed box is a Cisco, don't know the model #, only got a quick look. Narrow box with blue clock. In a demo the installer did show her 6 news screens at once. Is that the six tuners? She can't duplicate that and I know it will take time for her to learn how to use this box. I hope to check it out soon with her. I'd like one just for the physical size. Haven't seen the book he left so perhaps that will tell us something.
post #2288 of 2345 Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 View Post

Quote:

My sister went from analog to digital yesterday and her installed box is a Cisco, don't know the model #, only got a quick look. Narrow box with blue clock. In a demo the installer did show her 6 news screens at once. Is that the six tuners? She can't duplicate that and I know it will take time for her to learn how to use this box. I hope to check it out soon with her. I'd like one just for the physical size. Haven't seen the book he left so perhaps that will tell us something.

The 6 news screens at once is "News Zone", a feature of TRIO. The DVR sounds like the Cisco 8742HDC, look familiar? It runs on TRIO:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4038345C.pdf

To duplicate the six news screens, toggle through the guide options until you get to the "Zone Channels View" (press the "GUIDE" button six times.) Then, highlight "NEWS ZONE" and press SELECT. Or tune to channel 997 (may vary by area.)
post #2289 of 2345 Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
All of a sudden i'm having trouble with 1/2 of the channels in my 100-200 range are getting a wierd error on my Tivo saying: Channel Experiencing Network Difficulties

Doesn't seem to correlate to a failing cablecard or SDV.. Some are comming in.. some aren't..

Anyone have a list of which channels are SDV on cox manchester?
post #2290 of 2345 Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgalin View Post

All of a sudden i'm having trouble with 1/2 of the channels in my 100-200 range are getting a wierd error on my Tivo saying: Channel Experiencing Network Difficulties

Doesn't seem to correlate to a failing cablecard or SDV.. Some are comming in.. some aren't..

Anyone have a list of which channels are SDV on cox manchester?

A SDV error message on the TiVo is “This channel is temporarily unavailable.” - Contact your cable provider for more information.

Cox no longer provides a notation for SDV channels in any market. :-(

However most SDV channels are in the following Packages/Tiers and most are the SD versions, but there are many HD channels also, BBC America HD, MSNBC HD & The Weather Channel HD are SDV in many markets.
  • Bonus Pak - SD & HD
  • Faith and Values Pak
  • Variety Pak
  • Movie Pak - SD & HD
  • Sports and Information Pak
  • Latino Pak
  • SD - Premium Channels (beyond the first i.e. HBO Signature, Zone, Family, etc)

Here is San Diego's list of SDV for a rough comparison, Arizona is very similar but does not have any SDV channels below 100.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ROWkwGJipCU0ljcnFVN2cta2s/edit?pli=1

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #2291 of 2345 Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:

A SDV error message on the TiVo is “This channel is temporarily unavailable.” - Contact your cable provider for more information.

Cox no longer provides a notation for SDV channels in any market. :-(

However most SDV channels are in the following Packages/Tiers and most are the SD versions, but there are many HD channels also, BBC America HD, MSNBC HD & The Weather Channel HD are SDV in many markets.
  • Bonus Pak - SD & HD
  • Faith and Values Pak
  • Variety Pak
  • Movie Pak - SD & HD
  • Sports and Information Pak
  • Latino Pak
  • SD - Premium Channels (beyond the first i.e. HBO Signature, Zone, Family, etc)

Here is San Diego's list of SDV for a rough comparison, Arizona is very similar but does not have any SDV channels below 100.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ROWkwGJipCU0ljcnFVN2cta2s/edit?pli=1

SO, found something interesting, the channel list/guide @ Cox that is labelled BETA in the CT system, shows a pulldown that says

Manchester - CableCard
Manchester - SDV

But if you look at those for a basis of what is SDV, it doesnt match up correctly. I made a spreadsheet of where i was getting the V53 Channel not Available, but i was getting the other error on others.. I'm not clear if this is an SDV issue, or a cablecard authorization issue with my Pak's.. I know they made a change recently around Disney Jr, that fixed my iPad app, that does auth to Cox... They said i was going to lose a few legacy digital channels like Lifetime. or something... I had a "LEgacy" tier applied to my account that needed to be changed to a new one. There doing a truck roll later today.. I'd expect that they'll try to replace my cablecard and TA.. and probably won't fix anything...
post #2292 of 2345 Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
noticed there is a video window in the guide that was only there for dvr user's added
post #2293 of 2345 Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys. I last tried the Cisco DVR with the trio guide a couple years ago, and it was incredibly slow. Since I hate the "trio" view, I hated how the grid guide was very tiny an showed only a limited amount of time into the future on the screen at once. How have things changed since a couple years ago? Is the Cisco box any faster, and have they expanded the grid guide?

I've had a Tivo since then, under the promise that Cox VOD would be coming to Tivo. Well, that's not happening anymore and really miss having on demand.

Thanks.
post #2294 of 2345 Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Cox screwed things up again, everyday i have to reset my resolution back to 480 side bar's it defaults back to keep 480i, also the search sucks, if you were in the guide and hit search it would show all the same show dates, now you have to go into themes and search......another bad software move Cox, leave things alone!!
post #2295 of 2345 Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So, I've been noticing some problems on WTNH's airing of Jeopardy (and possibly Wheel). There's a noticeable jutter to the picture along with a possible resolution issue. Honestly it looks like a internet stream. I'm seeing this on DirecTV and the programming staffer at WTNH insists it's a problem with DirecTV instead of their end since I'm the only one to report this issue. I find this to be unlikely to be a DirecTV issue since it only occurs during the show and not during WTNH commercials or other programming. So, I'm hoping you guys can take a look and let me know if I'm crazy or if you see the problem as well. It's most noticeable on camera movements or on graphic lines that "jump".

This feels like an issue AVS members (like myself) helped WCPO work through several years back with their encoder (the "jaggies" issue as we called it). Not everyone could see the problem, but for those of us that could see it, that's all we could see. Since not "everyone" could see it, WCPO wasn't too motivated to fix it. After troubleshooting the issue for them, WCPO found the problem and fixed it after a couple years of the problem. Hopefully this issue doesn't take as long or as much effort.

I'll post back tonight after I watch Jeopardy to report if the issue is still persisting.

Yes, I'm posting this across all Hartford threads since I'm looking for feedback from OTA, Cox, and Comcast viewers to see if it's a problem with all avenues.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #2296 of 2345 Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM

^^
Did not watch last night but on Tuesday we watched both shows on Cox HD. I did not notice anything like you are reporting. Will watch again tonight and report if I see anything.

Allen
post #2297 of 2345 Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears my call in has addressed the problem. I'll follow up with WTNH tomorrow.

My posts are my own opinions and suggestions and do not represent those of my employer or other staff members.
post #2298 of 2345 Old 08-23-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, the problem is back this evening. So, I guess I'll ask again that people take a look over the next week to see if they are seeing the same problem. Look for parallel lines and smaller text (not Jeopardy clues) as this is where the issue is most apparent..

I didn't get the chance to follow up with WTNH.

I was wrong that commercials weren't affected. I'll also take a look during ABC programming along with the late news.

post #2299 of 2345 Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM

^^
I didn't notice anything on Jeopardy or Shark Tank last night. WTNH picture was fine via Cox.

Allen
post #2300 of 2345 Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
COX has boosted its Internet Speeds in Connecticut, and now offers speeds of up to 150 Mbps. These changes were made on October 1st.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #2301 of 2345 Old 10-12-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that, my middle teir is getting 30+ mbps!!
150 would kick ass be like a dvd in less than 5 mins
post #2302 of 2345 Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 AM

I am on the slowest Cox speed. It is now 5 Mbps. Recently I have had problems with intermittant very slow page loads. If I stop the load and retry it jumps right up. Two different computers a one Android tablet show this. Rebooted the modem and router, no luck.

Is it possible that the speed change has created a problem? The router is newer but my modem was what Cox supplied when I signed up. The modem is a Motorola SB 5120. That modem is no longer on the Cox preferred list. Something about DOCSIS, which is 2 for this modem.

Any ideas? Anyone else see this? I will continue to search for a problem, but some of this is a little beyond me.
post #2303 of 2345 Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 PM

DOCSIS 2 should be good up to 15Mbps or so. I was able to get 20Mbps out of mine. I'm on the 25Mbps plan, have upgraded to a DOCSIS 3 modem and have been seeing 32Mbps downloads since the 1st of the month. Since you are on the 5Mbps plan, no need to upgrade the modem for speed. I would upgrade if you move to a higher speed tier.

I did notice what you reported yesterday with google sites. At times I had to stop then refresh to get a page to come up. It seamed to be isolated to google sites, others worked fine, today the issue went away. Wonder if their servers were not responding at times. Keep an eye one it, have Cox test your connection if it continues.

Allen
post #2304 of 2345 Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

What cable boxes is cox using nowadays?, both my HD non dvr are boxes are about 7 yrs old, there big and square with a silver/black front, would like to get rid of the silver and get all black.
I used to be up on these things and even used to solder in capacitors on the older motorola boxes that i would buy off ebay cheap
post #2305 of 2345 Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Hi everyone,

I checked the Local HDTV state by state listing and I don't see any threads for U-verse. Does anyone have any experience with U-verse in northern New Haven County?  

Any good or bad reports?

I currently pay 132$/month (internet and cable) w/ Cox and it's going up to $152.00 (this was the "haggled" price). For the same service; AT&T is going to be about 102$/month. 

If I missed the thread in my searches, my apologies in advance!

post #2306 of 2345 Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

What cable boxes is cox using nowadays?, both my HD non dvr are boxes are about 7 yrs old, there big and square with a silver/black front, would like to get rid of the silver and get all black.
I used to be up on these things and even used to solder in capacitors on the older motorola boxes that i would buy off ebay cheap

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=f6644920-8b56-11df-6baf-000000000000
post #2307 of 2345 Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McConnell View Post

Hi everyone,

I checked the Local HDTV state by state listing and I don't see any threads for U-verse. Does anyone have any experience with U-verse in northern New Haven County?  

Any good or bad reports?

I currently pay 132$/month (internet and cable) w/ Cox and it's going up to $152.00 (this was the "haggled" price). For the same service; AT&T is going to be about 102$/month. 

Guess it depends on how far you are from the distribution point. A friend, here in Cheshire, switched from Cox to U-v. He was near the end of the run and had a terrible experience, ATT couldn't get it to work reliably. Switched back to Cox within a month.

My son also did the switch, he has stuck with U-v but isn't totally happy with it. I can't talk from first hand experience, U-v is not available at my home even though I'm just a mile from the friend I talked about above.

I assume you will be back in the same rate situation in 12 months or when the ATT promo rate runs out.

Allen
post #2308 of 2345 Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Any good or bad reports?

If I missed the thread in my searches, my apologies in advance!

Central CT. My neighbor went to Uverse and it did not work out. As stated above you have to be close to the magic box on the street. We are not. In two weeks they were back to Cox. They had a very bad experience with ATT. We are at the very end of the distance Uverse can go on two wires. I'd try to beat on Cox more and try to get a better deal.
post #2309 of 2345 Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I checked the Local HDTV state by state listing and I don't see any threads for U-verse.

Any good or bad reports?

As long as you're near enough to the VRAD and are familiar and accept the limitations of UV (actual limitations, not the ones shown in competitor's commercials) then go for it if they'll be consistently cheaper for the channels you want to watch than your alternative options. QoS is very dependent on your distance from the VRAD which means reports from others won't really help you. If there is a cost to switch your old service back on, you may want to keep it active through your trial of UV.

post #2310 of 2345 Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Got a $100 off on my last bill, thanks Cox!!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page