Sacramento, CA - SureWest - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 973 Old 12-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I often check in on this forum to find out where surewest is on the tech path. I'm really surprised to find out that you guys are hoping for your chance at an HD DVR.

Please help me out with this. HD DVRs have been on the market for YEARS and comcast has had a DUAL tuner model in your market for about 3 years. What gives? Why are you willing to be so far behind the tech curve with Surewest? I'm no Comcast lover but comapring the 2 options, Surewest has more channels (alot of dupe feeds from east coast) but their equipment and tech support is just simply too big a negative. Their contracts and pricing are big negative and their IP phone service is the pits when comparing options with all alternatives currently on market. How do you rationalize staying with them? By the time Surewest offers you a 160G Dual tuner HD DVR for an addtional $30/month with a 24 month contract extension other companies will be providing pocket cool fusion reactors and set top matter transmitters for free.

Why do you accept the pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 973 Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidphile View Post

I often check in on this forum to find out where surewest is on the tech path. I'm really surprised to find out that you guys are hoping for your chance at an HD DVR.

Please help me out with this. HD DVRs have been on the market for YEARS and comcast has had a DUAL tuner model in your market for about 3 years. What gives? Why are you willing to be so far behind the tech curve with Surewest? I'm no Comcast lover but comapring the 2 options, Surewest has more channels (alot of dupe feeds from east coast) but their equipment and tech support is just simply too big a negative. Their contracts and pricing are big negative and their IP phone service is the pits when comparing options with all alternatives currently on market. How do you rationalize staying with them? By the time Surewest offers you a 160G Dual tuner HD DVR for an addtional $30/month with a 24 month contract extension other companies will be providing pocket cool fusion reactors and set top matter transmitters for free.

Why do you accept the pain?

SureWest is taking a newer techonlogical way of distributing video. Comcast has maxed out their technology without some major upgrade. Comcast customers are demanding more HDTV content, but Comcast does not have the bandwidth to add it... just review the Sacramento Comcast forum. Comcast has to apply more and more compression or remove content to add more channels... both are not in the customers' best interests. SureWest has a very different technology... a technology that is still in its infancy but has huge room for growth. SureWest does not add compression, sending the customers original quality. AT&T's U-Verse is similar, but they don't provide as much bandwidth to each individual customer. I have a "fat" 100Mbps dedicated "pipe" between SureWest and my house. With my 20Mbps Internet, I have plenty left over for many different TV channels.

In comparing tech support, while I would not give SureWest a glowing endorsement, I can honestly say that it is quite a bit better than Comcast, which was terrible.

I was initially hesitant to change from Comcast to SureWest due to the lack of DVR, but Comcast having maxed out their bandwidth and SureWest with plenty to spare... in conjunction with much, MUCH faster Internet and such crappy communication with Comcast for any upcoming changes, I ditched Comcast. The HD-DVR is the ONLY thing I miss from Comcast and I know it is coming with SureWest.

I do not use SureWest for telephone service, as I have been happily using Vonage for 3 years.
post #273 of 973 Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM

Thanks I see your points. I agree the future with fiber optic bandwidth is far better than cable. I just wish the company would understand and meet consumer expectations sooner. I did read on the website FAQ that the DVR will supposedly be able to watch a show and record another at the same time although there is no specific mention of "dual tuner".

Glad to hear that you have no regrets other than the DVR...makes me almost open to consideration after the reviews of the DVR come out.

Have you had DL/UL quota issues with the higher bandwidth HSI connection? Yes it is faster which would make a person more likely to DL some big files but do you then get charged extra or service stopped on monthly GB quotas-limitations?

The one-sided contract bit needs to go as well. It basically sends the message "we need to trap you because you may not choose to stay with us voluntarily".
post #274 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks I see your points. I agree the future with fiber optic bandwidth is far better than cable. I just wish the company would understand and meet consumer expectations sooner. I did read on the website FAQ that the DVR will supposedly be able to watch a show and record another at the same time although there is no specific mention of "dual tuner".

Glad to hear that you have no regrets other than the DVR...makes me almost open to consideration after the reviews of the DVR come out.

Have you had DL/UL quota issues with the higher bandwidth HSI connection? Yes it is faster which would make a person more likely to DL some big files but do you then get charged extra or service stopped on monthly GB quotas-limitations?

The one-sided contract bit needs to go as well. It basically sends the message "we need to trap you because you may not choose to stay with us voluntarily".

I am not hosting a web site with heavy traffic and I'm not leaving a P2P server running 24/7, but I do spend quite a bit online. I have several computers in the house. My wife and I are both doing University of Phoenix online, which has us working on Internet research quite a bit. I also do the occasional download of a Linux DVD distribution from time to time, as well as many other single large downloads... I love the speed, but my overall traffic has never been an issue with SureWest. Looking at my router, I see that over the past month, my usage included a total of 43GB download and 6 GB upload. I wasn't attempting to set any records or be miserly, so it is about typical for me.
post #275 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyb View Post

Get you cables at www.monoprice.com Great prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post

Interesting.... Do you have any 'guesses' how the multi-room viewing will play out?

oh.. and should I go buy an HDMI cable this weekend?

The HDMI cables are provided as was done with the Amino 130, don't bother. Though if you had to buy them, I would advise using monoprice.com myself as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post

I am not hosting a web site with heavy traffic and I'm not leaving a P2P server running 24/7, but I do spend quite a bit online. I have several computers in the house. My wife and I are both doing University of Phoenix online, which has us working on Internet research quite a bit. I also do the occasional download of a Linux DVD distribution from time to time, as well as many other single large downloads... I love the speed, but my overall traffic has never been an issue with SureWest. Looking at my router, I see that over the past month, my usage included a total of 43GB download and 6 GB upload. I wasn't attempting to set any records or be miserly, so it is about typical for me.

1/1 = 30GB (grandfathered now)
10/10 = 75GB
20/20 = 150GB
50/50 = 400GB

There's a 3/1 tier now, but I have no idea what the threshold is. As with any other ISP, you only get the call/letter if you consistently abuse the limits otherwise you'll be fine.

Thanks for saying we're better than Comcast, bigRoN, that's all we can ask, lol. In all seriousness, I saw this "slow news day post" on Slashdot today. Some of the posts indicate that Comcast employees are trying to improve things, but keep hitting blocks from their management... getting fired for going that extra mile for the customer is pretty asinine .
post #276 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM

I just saw on the SureWest website, they have a PDF user guide for the new DVR, the ADB 5810WX... after reading through this, I am very disappointed with the stated capabilities, much inferior to what I was told we'd receive. It appears as though it will only record one show at a time. I've looked up specifications from ADB in addition to the user guide from SureWest and no where did it hint of the capability of recording multiple shows. When reading the specifications of the Amino Communications AmiNET530 and Scientific Atlanta's IPN603MCG, both mention the ability to record multiple streams/channels simultaneously. Another bit that makes me feel as if I were mislead is that there is no mention in the user guide that programming recorded on one machine can be viewed on another. ADB does mention this capability with one of their other STBs, but there is no mention of it in the user guide. Again, both Amino and Scientific Atlanta list this as a capability.

On pure asthetics, ADB looks quite antiquated, circa late 1980's. The "features" listed appear to be extremely rudimentary; much poorer than TiVo or ReplayTV. It appears the ONLY reason to go with this unit is that it will record HDTV; I would otherwise say that either a TiVo or ReplayTV connected externally to a AmiNET130 gives far better control, capacity and capability. I currently own my ReplayTV units, so I have been able to increase the hard drives of my 5000-series units to 500GB. As I will not own my SureWest DVR unit, I will not be able to upgrade the hard drive myself, nor will they activate the USB port for external storage. With my ReplayTV, I can watch recorded content on other machines in the house or download it on my computer and burn it to a DVD for archiving. I've heard of similar capabilities with newer TiVo units as well.

I have not actually recived the DVR unit yet, but my first impression is extreme disappointment. I'm not sure what else played in to SureWest's decision to choose the ADB device,there may be incompatibilities I'm not aware of. I hope this is just a short stop-gap measure and a much improved DVR will be released in the not too distant future.
post #277 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:

I just saw on the SureWest website, they have a PDF user guide for the new DVR, the ADB 5810WX... after reading through this, I am very disappointed with the stated capabilities, much inferior to what I was told we'd receive. It appears as though it will only record one show at a time. I've looked up specifications from ADB in addition to the user guide from SureWest and no where did it hint of the capability of recording multiple shows. When reading the specifications of the Amino Communications AmiNET530 and Scientific Atlanta's IPN603MCG, both mention the ability to record multiple streams/channels simultaneously. Another bit that makes me feel as if I were mislead is that there is no mention in the user guide that programming recorded on one machine can be viewed on another. ADB does mention this capability with one of their other STBs, but there is no mention of it in the user guide. Again, both Amino and Scientific Atlanta list this as a capability.

On pure asthetics, ADB looks quite antiquated, circa late 1980's. The "features" listed appear to be extremely rudimentary; much poorer than TiVo or ReplayTV. It appears the ONLY reason to go with this unit is that it will record HDTV; I would otherwise say that either a TiVo or ReplayTV connected externally to a AmiNET130 gives far better control, capacity and capability. I currently own my ReplayTV units, so I have been able to increase the hard drives of my 5000-series units to 500GB. As I will not own my SureWest DVR unit, I will not be able to upgrade the hard drive myself, nor will they activate the USB port for external storage. With my ReplayTV, I can watch recorded content on other machines in the house or download it on my computer and burn it to a DVD for archiving. I've heard of similar capabilities with newer TiVo units as well.

I have not actually recived the DVR unit yet, but my first impression is extreme disappointment. I'm not sure what else played in to SureWest's decision to choose the ADB device,there may be incompatibilities I'm not aware of. I hope this is just a short stop-gap measure and a much improved DVR will be released in the not too distant future.

That's really disappointing.
post #278 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Ron, I just checked the main page for the new DVR on the Surewest site, and it does specifically say:

* Pause, replay, rewind and fast-forward live TV
* Record one program while watching another
* One-touch record capabilities
* High definition (HD) and standard definition (SD)
* Record up to 88 hours of SD programming and up to 18 hours of HD programming
* 7–day advanced program guide
* Search for programs up to seven days in advance
* Buffered video capacity – 2 hours
* Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound capable
* No phone line connection needed
* Multiple video/audio outputs

Still, I too am disappointed by the overall feature set, in light of what's calable with IPTV. I have a Series1 Tivo connected to a secondary set top box which I will likely keep for recording SD programming; but the 18-hour limit of the hard drive for HD programming is not near enough for my tastes, expecially with no external storage capability. It's a sad fact my my modded/hacked/web-enabled 7-year old Tivo has more outright capacity and connectivity than this ADB box.

I guess it will have to do as far as a basic, HD-enabled DVR for now. But medium-to-longer term, unless Surewest can step up to the plate and deliver something that truly makes full potential of IPTV, I can totally see myself moving to another TV solution.

Shame, too, because I am quite happy with their internet and phone service and support.
post #279 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi888 View Post

Ron, I just checked the main page for the new DVR on the Surewest site, and it does specifically say:

* 7-day advanced program guide
* Buffered video capacity - 2 hours

There is a big difference between watching a second channel while recording another and recording two channels at one time. Only 7-day advanced program guide?!? I currently have 14-days with ReplayTV. Also, the way programs are recorded are similar to VCRs back in the 1980s...

Quote:

A series of recordings are scheduled by channel and time, not by program.

(from http://personal.surewest.com/digital..._guide_fin.pdf)

So if, for example, you wanted to record Pushing Daisys on ABC and they pre-empted the show because the Kings were playing that day, you would get part of a basketball game and you would manually have to tell it to record on Saturday, when it is shown locally. With my ReplayTV, I tell it I want to record all new episodes of Pushing Daisys and it will see that it is NOT on on Wednesday, but a new episode is available on Saturday, so it will automatically record that instead.
post #280 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:

There's reasons why the ADB DVR is what is being used... Just because Cisco/Scientific Atlanta and Amino have an IPTV HD DVR on their website doesn't mean squat, unfortunately.

Since people will get the DVR this week so it's probably safe to spill some info. You can record one station and watch another (both can be HD if you like...), but currently with the second channel that you watch it will buffer, but cannot be recorded. It is a high priority these limitations will be dealt with in firmware upgrades, hopefully soon. As I said previously, right now it's a pretty basic DVR and not in any shape even a Tivo competitor yet.

This is the big reason for the "soft launch" because they DO want those features in it before pro actively acknowledging there's a DVR besides Tivo. People that get the DVR are also being told of what it can and cannot do so the correct expectation is being set.

Yes, the ADB is not pretty like the A530. The A530s do look better, no argument there.

Yes, the USB ports are disabled _at_the_moment_...

All I can really do to respond to your last statement is that the ADB DVR is actually pretty versatile hardware-wise (similar hardware to the A530) and can be upgraded to the same feature set as the other non-IPTV DVRs. All of the IPTV STBs released including the DVR run software from Minerva (based on the GNU/Linux 2.6 kernel) so they are interoperable with each other in essence. It's no different that me running Debian on my customer built desktops and sharing files between them... The software/firmware will be the key - the features just have to be written since basically it doesn't exist for IP DVRs at the moment.
post #281 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:

* 7-day advanced program guide
* Buffered video capacity - 2 hours

Still, I too am disappointed by the overall feature set, in light of what's calable with IPTV. I have a Series1 Tivo connected to a secondary set top box which I will likely keep for recording SD programming; but the 18-hour limit of the hard drive for HD programming is not near enough for my tastes, expecially with no external storage capability. It's a sad fact my my modded/hacked/web-enabled 7-year old Tivo has more outright capacity and connectivity than this ADB box.

I guess it will have to do as far as a basic, HD-enabled DVR for now. But medium-to-longer term, unless Surewest can step up to the plate and deliver something that truly makes full potential of IPTV, I can totally see myself moving to another TV solution.

Shame, too, because I am quite happy with their internet and phone service and support.

I'm surprised as much as this was posted on the public website to be honest. So much for "being quiet". Nice that they say it's $9.99 /month because I had heard it is free until the DVR soft launch is over. Which I believe will be when the initial feature set is added such as series recording. There is a roadmap to add similar features to the DVR that the Tivo Series 3 has though I'm unsure of a timeline...
post #282 of 973 Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:

There is a big difference between watching a second channel while recording another and recording two channels at one time.

Ah yes, Ron, you are correct. I misread.

Quote:

A series of recordings are scheduled by channel and time, not by program.

OUCH. Seriously.

Thanks for the info poomfasa. $10/month isn't going to kill me, but it makes me wonder how much benefit there is in being an early adopter at this point. Still, I'll probably get it for being able to pause live HD, with the hopes of new features being added to firmware. Soon.
post #283 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Ah yes, Ron, you are correct. I misread.
OUCH. Seriously.

That lack of a season pass type of show *really* hurts. I expected the basics to be there. Upgrading on the fly is *good*.. but recording by time/channel is just ancient. I don't even know what time all my shows are on. I never watch TV when its actually scheduled... (okay maybe a football game).. Let alone all the kids cartoons that are just "picked up" and recorded for them..

hurumph...

maybe I won't call this morning for the softlaunch.
post #284 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM

Major disappointment! 2008 is here, TiVo has been around for 10 years, it's not acceptable to call something like this a DVR. Once my Surewest contract is up I will seriously consider DirecTV. Surewest Internet is very good, but the TV leaves a lot to be desired.
post #285 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Well, I guess I can either wait for a "fully functional" DVR to be released later or get one now and get automatic upgrades later? The last recording device I had was a VCR. I've never had Tivo. I've been patiently waiting for Surewest to come out with a DVR and from what you guys are saying, it's not very versital. Akk, bottom line is if I want to record my shows, I'll need this...
post #286 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomfasa View Post

The HDMI cables are provided as was done with the Amino 130, don't bother. Though if you had to buy them, I would advise using monoprice.com myself as well.

I did not get an HDMI with my 130..

Quote:

1/1 = 30GB (grandfathered now)
10/10 = 75GB
20/20 = 150GB
50/50 = 400GB

Dang... I specifically asked about those caps when I signed up I asked and was told there weren't any! Luckily I won't be hitting them..
post #287 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 AM

Well I'm locked into surewest so rather then complain anymore.. I shall work with ya!

What is the list of features that are being looked at being added over time? does Surewest have a priority on these features? and is there anything I can do to help shape those priorities? How much is actually in your hands anyway? I imagine a lot of it is just waiting on ADB....
post #288 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! I feel your pain and hope your contracts are coming up soon....

So sad that the company that had the foresight to lay the fiber in my neighborhood 8 years ago didn't stay ahead of the curve with all the other implementation decisions. They could have killed Comcast in Roseville. Good luck!
post #289 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM

Surewest could have spent more money and contracted with Motorola and provided you with this beautiful machine.

http://www.motorola.com/content.jsp?...60-10536-10543

Don't forget the ABD soultion is yet another Box that you must keep by your TV and another remote. You still need access to your AMI STB at TV for VOD.
post #290 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Don't forget the ABD soultion is yet another Box that you must keep by your TV and another remote. You still need access to your AMI STB at TV for VOD.

Really? The user manual strongly implies otherwise. (see page 10)
post #291 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the info guys! I feel your pain and hope your contracts are coming up soon....

So sad that the company that had the foresight to lay the fiber in my neighborhood 8 years ago didn't stay ahead of the curve with all the other implementation decisions. They could have killed Comcast in Roseville. Good luck!

Certainly ahead of the curve when it comes to internet access. Just slow on the T.V. stuff. Don't get me wrong.. I'm disappointed.. but doing the math on on how much money I'm saving..etc.. somewhat dulls the pain... somewhat..

The "soft launch" indicates that Surewest is aware of the missing features in the box, and that they intend for it to be temporary. The fact that its on the web page in big print --- indicates they didn't communicate so well internally.. which we've all seen before.
post #292 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 AM

I picked up my DVR box this morning, being the first in Roseville to have one. First, I called customer care this morning at 8:10AM. They told me that they should be available at service centers (not retail establishments) and that I'd need to turn in the box I was wanting to exchange. I live a quarter mile from the service center on Industrial Blvd in Roseville, so I packed up one of my AmiNET130s and headed off for there. While I drive past the place all the time (along Washington Blvd.), the Washington Blvd. entrance is only for service vehicles, the public entrance is off of Industrial. Next, the service center is in the second building, Building D. While they were there, their window was closed when I got there and I had to call on a telephone in the lobby for them to get to me. I assume the one lady in the office that knew what was going on was a supervisor. She grabbed the box and pointed out to the others in the office that a new remote needed to be given with the box and pointed out that while the remote looks identical to others, it has a sticker saying "DVR" on it. The lady who knew what was going on wanted to know how I knew to come there. I told her customer care had sent me. She then asked if they mentioned how much it would cost. I told her customer care had told me that since features were very limited, they were not charging anything additional for it until the new features are available. She was happy to hear that I understood that features were currently quite rudimentary. I left and got home around 9AM. I plugged everything in and turned it on. I got a blue screen initially with an ADB logo, and then all went blank. The clock display initially started at 00:00. I waited and nothing happened. When the clock display showed 00:15, 15 minutes later, I called technical support to see what was happening. I talked quite candidly with tech support, acknowledging that I understood things may not be perfect being an early adopter and I was not upset, I just wanted to work out the bugs. She did some research and found the service center had not yet finished provisioning my new device. This was accomplished while I was on the phone with her. My display came on and it started up the boot strap stuff and set the clock and all. Initially I was very unimpressed and found it to be quite crappy in performance. I had gone into the settings and tried to set it to the proper output settings for my TV and it didn't improve. None of the DVR buttons on the remote worked. I figured something was definitely missing. I then got the brilliant idea of power cycling the DVR. Bingo! It took a while, but a new firmware was downloaded and installed.

After the new firmware was installed, things worked quite a bit better. I am having a bizarre issue though when I try to go into the settings menu... I frequently get an error saying that it is unavailable at the moment and to try back later. What?!? I try a couple times and it eventually comes up. I wanted to set up a weekly recording of Chuck and Heros so I went into the program guide. I set each to record by scrolling to them and hitting OK and selecting "Set Recording". The problem with this is it only records that particular show, not a weekly recording. I realized this after I set each of these shows and moved on to tomorrow, for recording NCIS... instead of choosing "Set Recording", I chose "Schedule Event". This gave me the option to record weekly. I then went back to modify Chuck and Heros, but it would not let me modify it for some reason. I had to delete my recording setup and schedule an event. Once set though, it indicates it will be a series recording differently than an individual recording by showing two stacked red dots instead of a single red dot on the program guide. This is very similar to how my ReplayTV indicates a series recording. I am currently having it record something just for the sake of recording something and I'll review its playback soon. I can at least watch some of the shows that I've been missing because they are on when I can't watch. I'm afraid I'll be running out of space quickly though, as I only watch HDTV content.
post #293 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info bigRon. Maybe I can call today and see if I can pick one up. To be honest, for me, rudimentary is fine for now as long as it records what I want, when I want. It'll make the wife happy to be able to record her shows that she misses due to homework.
post #294 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

Thanks for the info bigRon. Maybe I can call today and see if I can pick one up. To be honest, for me, rudimentary is fine for now as long as it records what I want, when I want. It'll make the wife happy to be able to record her shows that she misses due to homework.

I called to get activated... alas they need a passcode.. I have no idea what my passcode is. They couldn't tell me what site to pickup the DVR at unless I had the passcode. The passcode - I tried some words I might guess.. but I too no avail. Did other people get a passcode mailed to them? or was it something you picked out yourself?

But... this news of it being available at Industrial... maybe I'll just show up there.. showing my ID..
post #295 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I called to get activated... alas they need a passcode.. I have no idea what my passcode is. They couldn't tell me what site to pickup the DVR at unless I had the passcode. The passcode - I tried some words I might guess.. but I too no avail. Did other people get a passcode mailed to them? or was it something you picked out yourself?

But... this news of it being available at Industrial... maybe I'll just show up there.. showing my ID..

I don't know my passcode either. Didn't need to know it. All I needed to do was pack up the unit to return and walk in. They asked me my phone number when I got there in person (which they don't have on record, since I don't have phone service with them), so they then asked my address. They found me in the system and that was all I needed to verify who I was. The service center did no know I was coming, so the phone call was unnecessary, just walk in. I think the location at McClellan Park is another location if it is closer. Obviously, since I can see the Industrial site from the main street in front of our housing development here in Roseville, that was much closer for me.

I am seeing a lot more stuttering of audio and video, something I don't have with the AmiNET130 box. Channel changes are just as fast though. Also, I only have 48-hours of program guide, NOT 7-days like we were told. I hope that changes quickly. 7-days is already too short as it is!
post #296 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I don't know my passcode either. Didn't need to know it. All I needed to do was pack up the unit to return and walk in. They asked me my phone number when I got there in person (which they don't is!

Man I just got back from the showroom. Where I discovered my passcode, then they said they would setup the HDDVR activation.. the service rep was nice.. but disappeared for what seemed like 30minutes to try and figure it out. Came back with .."we don't have any.. they aren't available for a few days"

I replied.."oh.. you ran out?"... she left again.. only to come back and say I should head over to Industrial like you did. Then my lunch hour was over.. so now I'm back on the phone on hold wondering if I should just head over to industrial on my way home tonight..
post #297 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I am seeing a lot more stuttering of audio and video, something I don't have with the AmiNET130 box. Channel changes are just as fast though. Also, I only have 48-hours of program guide, NOT 7-days like we were told. I hope that changes quickly. 7-days is already too short as it is!

Stuttering... *groans*
post #298 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Just got off the phone with Surewest as well. The rep told me that the device is a 160gb hard drive so you get 160 hours of sd and 40 hours of hd. Which is a lot different then their website states. Also your passcode would be the "password" that you use to login online. Which is by default the last 4 of the subscribers SSN. I talked to her a little about the device and right now you can only play recorded shows on the one TV however they have plans to add support for multiple TV's later on. Although she wasn't sure if it was the same device or a different device that would support that.

Neo
post #299 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 01:26 PM

HA! they won't let me pick it up. They must roll a truck to "install" it...
post #300 of 973 Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post

Well, I guess I can either wait for a "fully functional" DVR to be released later or get one now and get automatic upgrades later? The last recording device I had was a VCR. I've never had Tivo. I've been patiently waiting for Surewest to come out with a DVR and from what you guys are saying, it's not very versital. Akk, bottom line is if I want to record my shows, I'll need this...

Yes, there's going to be automatic updates. They'll probably be frequent as well for a while. As a heads up, it does take about 8-10mins for them to install too. 2-3 Minutes to download then the DVR will install it and it reboots itself in the meantime. During this process, it may has have a funny flickering on the time LEDs on the front. Not all ADB DVRs will do this though.

Quote:

I did not get an HDMI with my 130..

Dang... I specifically asked about those caps when I signed up I asked and was told there weren't any! Luckily I won't be hitting them..

Sorry about that, a field tech should have given you one, but I have heard of that not happening. They are free at our showrooms if you need one.

The caps aren't really advertised and I don't think many people are aware of them. I can attribute that to the fact the only people that have been clamped down on for excessive use have had viruses etc spewing a lot of traffic. Unlike Comcast the actual cap limits aren't secret at least.

Quote:

Well I'm locked into surewest so rather then complain anymore.. I shall work with ya!

What is the list of features that are being looked at being added over time? does Surewest have a priority on these features? and is there anything I can do to help shape those priorities? How much is actually in your hands anyway? I imagine a lot of it is just waiting on ADB....

There's quite a few, but I'm not sure what is public and what is not. I know series recording is what's being worked on right now. To get a good guesstimate, it's pretty much the same features as the Tivo Series 3. The current method for scheduling is more of a workaround until the real feature is completed.

Quote:

Really? The user manual strongly implies otherwise. (see page 10)

You don't need a separate STB, the DVR in itself is fine. I don't know if the manual says this - you can not record VOD movies. Everything else including SVOD is fair game though I believe.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page