Sacramento, CA - SureWest - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At least you can schedule an appointment. Those of us that live in Surewest's home city can't even get that far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Any word on the mother lode (FoxSportsNet Bay Area)? They told me that Comcastsportsnet was also available when I called to inquire, but I have not seen anyone confirm that.

I am also on the DVR bandwagon. I have a Directivo (1 high def) for each of the 3 televisions and my wife won't part with them. We use my parent's motorola 6412 quite often (they live down the street), but we really don't like it that much. At least its faster than my HR10-250, though. I am worried that the DVR will be the same Motorola. If it is, I think that I will be stuck with Dircetv for a while longer. I am dying to see the picture quality that Surewest has to offer. It has to be way better than Directv.

Tivo and Sunday Ticket. The chains that bind me.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Little Dude, you are I are in the same boat. I got an HD TV over the holidays. Luckily I can get all the locals via OTA. I'd like to stick with DirecTV, I've got three SD Directivo and love them. I've seen the Comcast Motorola, and hated it as well. Wanted to get the HR10-250, but with the eminent death of Directivo, and the uncertainty around their new HD DVR, I didn't want to commit to a new 2-yr agreement. At least until I see what Surewest has to offer. If I like it, Surewest is it. If not, it's either stay with Direct TV and whatever DVR they offer, or wait and go to Comcast when they get the Series 3 Tivo later this year.

Why does it need to be such a difficult decision to make?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM

FoxSportsNet Bay Area is not currently part of SureWest's offering, but I will be asking for it once baseball season starts. For now, I'm happy to have TNT-HD and Kings Home Games in HD via Comcast SportsNet for the remaining NBA season.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post

FoxSportsNet Bay Area is not currently part of SureWest's offering, but I will be asking for it once baseball season starts. For now, I'm happy to have TNT-HD and Kings Home Games in HD via Comcast SportsNet for the remaining NBA season.

Surewest has Comcast Sportsnet in HD?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:09 PM

Ah. A confirmed sighting of comcast sports net. I can't imaginge Foxsportsnet being too far behind.
So, Lloyd, how is the picture quality?
Mtnbiker, the channel lineup on Comcast is bad. As for the DVR, I hope that it is a series 3 Tivo. I was under the impression that it was going to be the Motorola with Tivo software (for an extra fee, of course). I guess I am just a little worried about Tivo-lite (which would be better than what they have). But, that Series 3 Tivo does look pretty nice.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:07 PM

I didn't get home in time last night to watch the Kings game in HD, so I can't confirm Comcast SportsNet, but the channel banner says "Kings Home Games in HD". I'll catch the next game and report on the picture quality.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post

I didn't get home in time last night to watch the Kings game in HD, so I can't confirm Comcast SportsNet, but the channel banner says "Kings Home Games in HD". I'll catch the next game and report on the picture quality.

The game last night was in HD on Channel 10.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:59 PM

I guess I'll have to wait until after the upcoming five game road trip to see the Feb 10th game at home against Memphis before I can confirm.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:18 AM

I signed up for install April 17th. I am looking forward to improved picture quality over D*. Hopefully the Foxsportsnet Bay Area will be on soon. Baseball is starting. The CSR said that ESPN2HD was close.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 PM

Just had my install. It went ok. Picture quality is up compared to D*. The main promo commercial on UniversalHD plays without any macroblocking. HDNet Movies actually looks like a high def channel. Pretty nice. Will have time later to compare later. Looking forward to NBA playoffs on TNT
Old 04-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dude 1 View Post

Just had my install. It went ok. Picture quality is up compared to D*. The main promo commercial on UniversalHD plays without any macroblocking. HDNet Movies actually looks like a high def channel. Pretty nice. Will have time later to compare later. Looking forward to NBA playoffs on TNT

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a list of HD channels that are being offered?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dude 1 View Post

Did they happen to mention when they will be offering an HD DVR?

Thanks...
Old 04-19-2006, 03:24 PM

I got some good info from a source:
Word on the street is that the Highland Reserve BPON replacement project has the green light. The cable is already on order and they will start by the end of the month. Service available in about a month for some areas, but the whole Highland Reserve project is scheduled to be completed by the end of the third quarter.
The Highland Reserve area is directly east of the Surewest facility on Washington Blvd. So my wait may be over with in a few months. It will also mean that 10/20 Mb/sec internet access will also be offered.
As far as the HD DVR, nothing new yet.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 PM

Yeh, So far all that I have heard is that a DVR is in the works. Maybe sometime this year. For this reason, I still have D*. The HDTivo is slow, but it is still high def.

The channels are still the same as the as originally listed. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, HDNet, HDNet Movies, DiscoveryHD, UniversalHD, TNTHD, ESPNHD, Comcast Sports Net HD (which is pretty much worthless now that the King's season is over. However, I have seen INHD programing playing on this channel several times this week. No real pattern, but maybe INHD is in the works), HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and the Movie Channel. The bummer with the pay networks like HBO is that there is no On Demand for them. The only On Demand items are pay per view.

The CSR I scheduled the install from said ESPN2HD was coming. Between the 2 ESPNs, I watch a lot of high def games during the week. The main one that is lacking is still Fox Sports Net Bay Area. Surewest is still minor leagues until it gets this (along with the DVR, the main issue).

The actual box is a little dinky thing, a little smaller than my wireless router. My wife was happy that she couldn't really even notice it. The only problem ( might just be my box) is that it has a tendency to freeze up every now and then. You have to turn the channel and come back.
My main issue is with the closed captions. They take up half the screen. The old captions linger on the screen, while the new captions come on in the middle of them. Worst of all, they keep changing colors. So to deactivate them you have to go through a long menu (about as far as the HR10-250 for those of you that have Directv) and then reboot the damn thing. That takes about 10 minutes.

Overall, picture quality is excellent (FIOS seems to be the real deal, but as to the benefit of the Internet Protocol..... I don't know, I'll have to reread the press release to try to figure out how this is beneficial). The hardware kind of sucks. The amount of HD programming is just average.

Not a TV topic, but I have had Surewest for internet access since it became available here about 2 years ago. With even just 10Mb/sec, prepare to fly. The 20 is a little out of my price range and a little wasteful since my router slows everything down.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:58 AM

The content actually sounds l the best of both Comcast and Directv. I miss those Kings HD games and the extra movie channels. This seems pretty promising if they get the HD DVR issue worked out.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM

Old 04-26-2006, 05:52 PM

That is the STB. The remote is different though.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:00 AM
JHL
Advanced Member

It looks like the STB has no output for 1394. That is unfortunate.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 PM

Replaced box out again. Waiting for second replacement. It appears they have to check the line everytime, so I can't just swap it out at one of the offices. This is getting annoying.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post

I got some good info from a source:
Word on the street is that the Highland Reserve BPON replacement project has the green light. The cable is already on order and they will start by the end of the month. Service available in about a month for some areas, but the whole Highland Reserve project is scheduled to be completed by the end of the third quarter.
The Highland Reserve area is directly east of the Surewest facility on Washington Blvd. So my wait may be over with in a few months. It will also mean that 10/20 Mb/sec internet access will also be offered.
As far as the HD DVR, nothing new yet.

Any idea as to whether this will be JUST the Highland Reserve block, or if it will extend to the Summerhill blocks... on the other side of Roseville Parkway? Also, being BPON, won't Internet upload speeds be capped at a lower speed than active Ethernet?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post

Any idea as to whether this will be JUST the Highland Reserve block, or if it will extend to the Summerhill blocks... on the other side of Roseville Parkway? Also, being BPON, won't Internet upload speeds be capped at a lower speed than active Ethernet?

I'm sure Surewest will be extending out that way. They seem to be spreading like wildfire at the moment.
I'm not sure what BPON is?
I now when I had the original install done on my house two months ago, they had to come replace the cable/fiber optic line to straight fiber optic from the pole. They said they were doing this retrofit all over town.
My main question is are the still using the Amino STB for their HD service. The installer is coming out next Tuesday to set it up.

(BTW 10mB DL is great! Especially coming from Comcast cable internet).
Old 06-23-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post

I really can't answer that as I haven't received more detailed info. The guy who gave me the info based on where I live. Just my guess, the newer developments probably have the fiber to at least the neighborhood. That would include Summerhill I bet.
I imagine that upload would be capped lower than download. Sorry, I probably typed that backwards.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post

I really can't answer that as I haven't received more detailed info. The guy who gave me the info based on where I live. Just my guess, the newer developments probably have the fiber to at least the neighborhood. That would include Summerhill I bet.
I imagine that upload would be capped lower than download. Sorry, I probably typed that backwards.

No... that sounds right. Most broadband connections are asynchronous, with the upload being capped at a lower rate speed. Currently, I have Comcast's cable modem and my speeds are around 6MBps download and a little over 700 KBps upload. If they could get me upload speeds greater than T1 speeds, I'd be happy. As it is, my download is several times FASTER than a T1 but on upload, it is half as fast.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:59 PM

First post - Hi. Anyone else in South Natomas?

Got my Surewest 'Triple Play' setup in May - Voip, Internet, HDTV. Bought the wife a 50" Panasonic Plasma and hooked it up to the Onkyo SR-803. Every once in a while I get to watch it!

I seem to be having some issues with the HD - it's been out 3 times, once all day, apparently due to some sort of network problem. The other 2 sets do not have the problem.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmin View Post

First post - Hi. Anyone else in South Natomas?

Got my Surewest 'Triple Play' setup in May - Voip, Internet, HDTV. Bought the wife a 50" Panasonic Plasma and hooked it up to the Onkyo SR-803. Every once in a while I get to watch it!

I seem to be having some issues with the HD - it's been out 3 times, once all day, apparently due to some sort of network problem. The other 2 sets do not have the problem.

Madmin,

I've got the same Onkyo receiver. Can you tell me if you've got your Surewest HD box connected to the HDMI in on the receiver and then switched out to your tv?

As soon as Surewest gets around to getting an HD-DVR I'm converting, just wondering if I will run into the same problem I have with my Comcast HD-DVR in that it doesn't support HDMI switching through the receiver.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 AM

[quote=

I seem to be having some issues with the HD - it's been out 3 times, once all day, apparently due to some sort of network problem. The other 2 sets do not have the problem.[/QUOTE]

I have had Surewest for HD since April. It is often down. The picture will freeze up at times too. The closed captions are a complete disaster area. I have to turn off several appliances, including the lcd, to get box to turn the channel. And the HD DVR that the csr thought was due out this summer was in fact, just a standard DVR. The HD DVR is in fact a year and a half away. Plus, what is the benefit of this internet protocol fiber-optic system? The picture quality is definitly better than D*, but the growing pains are not worth it. At least the contract is only for 1 year. I also signed a 2 year deal with D* because they assured me that FSNBAHD was available. The good old bait and switch.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theph0xx View Post

Madmin,

Can you tell me if you've got your Surewest HD box connected to the HDMI in on the receiver and then switched out to your tv?

When they hooked me up with their HD service, I wasn't offered an HDMI connection, only a component video. To the best of my knowledge, the AmiNet 120 doesn't offer an HDMI connection. Perhaps the next generation boxes will???
Old 08-14-2006, 08:02 AM

theph0xx - I use the component out of the cable box into the receiver, then into the TV.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 PM

It looks like Surewest has on demand for Showtime, Starz and TMC. I don't see any high def though. It is a start. Is anyone else still having problems with the closed captions on the high def channels? It has been ongoing since I started them in April. Still no progress..