Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 973 Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmin View Post

Adinn - Thanks for your post on the discounts. I called today to inquire and they gave me the same - $10 off iptv and $10 off internet for 6 months, such a deal! I also signed up for digital phone - I thought I had it but I don't use the phone much.

Mike

I have the digital phone too, 12.99 for 300 anywhere minutes a month. That's cheaper than AT&T measured rate service. I needed it for my home alarm monitoring.
I used to have Comcast, but Surewest iptv HD looks great. I hope the new whole house DVR coming is a big improvement over the current one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 973 Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 AM

Did anyone else get the fee increase letter. Still have yet to get the channels what were promised us back in July.
And what is with that $2.99 internet fix-it fee or whatever the **** they are calling it. Just raise the price, and leave it at that. I despise them for treating us like morons.
post #723 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 09:47 AM

I got the notice yesterday. Don't like it, but what am I going to do? Everything is going up.
post #724 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Haven't seen it. Just got a call saying my commitment is about to expire and that they will offer $5 off on my internet if I continue with them. I guess the discount is $2 bucks then.
post #725 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can use MythTV as an alternative to the surewest DVR. You can still keep your surewest DVR but use Mythtv instead.
post #726 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Liked: 12
I had Surewest fiber optic HDTV installed a few months ago, primarily to be able to get Golf Channel in HD. But, so far it has been terrible. The picture constantly freezes to the point that many times, it is unwatchable. When I called tech support they recommended that I replace the DVR, which I did a month ago. But the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

If it sounds good, it is good.

- Duke Ellington
post #727 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

You can use MythTV as an alternative to the surewest DVR. You can still keep your surewest DVR but use Mythtv instead.

I'm curious as to how you have MythTV setup to record SureWest in HDTV using MythTV. I was not aware there was a method of decoding the streams via a computer. Is this by using some type of component video capture device and an infrared emitter? I would LOVE to use a MythTV setup if I knew how to do so.
post #728 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post

I'm curious as to how you have MythTV setup to record SureWest in HDTV using MythTV. I was not aware there was a method of decoding the streams via a computer. Is this by using some type of component video capture device and an infrared emitter? I would LOVE to use a MythTV setup if I knew how to do so.

You still need a box but you don't need capture equipment. Infact Surewest uses a UDP multicast so it's possible to do that.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/SureWest_IPTV

This is how you do it.
post #729 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT0404 View Post

I had Surewest fiber optic HDTV installed a few months ago, primarily to be able to get Golf Channel in HD. But, so far it has been terrible. The picture constantly freezes to the point that many times, it is unwatchable. When I called tech support they recommended that I replace the DVR, which I did a month ago. But the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, how is the signal getting from the fiber gateway to the set-top box? Is it via CAT5 or better cable or via an Ethernet/Coax converter? I have absolutely no problems with any of the set-top boxes when it comes to freezing or digital breakup, but I have seen those where the signal is converted to travel over coax to have a lot of interference. Despite coax theoretically providing enough bandwidth, in actual practice, I've seen poor results. Prior to going to SureWest, I rewired my entire house with CAT6a (I wanted to make sure I was future proofing as much as possible), running as many as 8 runs to each outlet box. Using a patch panel, I'm able to run multiple networks (SureWest video and two separate internal networks... I have my reasons). I realize my system is overkill, but I knew I'd have problems if I tried to run SureWest over coax.
post #730 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want to use Mythtv use an nVidia graphics card with VDPAU since it will take the strain off the CPU. You don't have to use their DVR but their DVR will give you 2 tuners. Unless you want to rent 2 STB's but it's more practical to use a DVR instead of 2 STB's. Finally you'll need to donate $20 to SchedulesDirect for guide data for mythtv. It's tribune guide data which is pretty accurate.
post #731 of 973 Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how is the signal getting from the fiber gateway to the set-top box? Is it via CAT5 or better cable or via an Ethernet/Coax converter?

I believe coax from the wall to the box.

If it sounds good, it is good.

- Duke Ellington
post #732 of 973 Old 10-17-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

You still need a box but you don't need capture equipment. Infact Surewest uses a UDP multicast so it's possible to do that.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/SureWest_IPTV

This is how you do it.

Thanks hdtvfan2005!!!!.....this is interesting.....I have SageTV capturing OTA currently and thought I would need some capture devices to be able to record from Surewest's system. I wonder if SageTV could be modified to use this method?
post #733 of 973 Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 AM

Any new scoop on MediaRoom - specifically for Roseville, CA residents? What I got (not much):

Dear Sir,

The Microsoft MediaRoom function for SureWest customers is in the final stages and set to deploy to our customers very soon although I do not have a firm date.

Unfortunately we do not use new customers for the Beta phase of any new product rollout.

More information will follow on the web page at Surewest.com.

Thank you very much for your interest- it is truly exciting!

Respectfully,

SureWest Customer Care
post #734 of 973 Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM

i was talking to a surewest csr today if there are any promotions for current customers and also asked about the new dvr. she said she believes it will be out on the first of the year. fingers crossed.

btw, no real good promotions for existing customers either.... bummer
post #735 of 973 Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I called about the $2.99 fee on the internet connection. I asked them to take it off because I can do the home networking myself I don't need their help so I shouldn't be paying for a service I don't use. No, can't do, I'm paying for the right to use it in the future should I want to. Thanks!

The price of Digital TV also went up by $2. Funny how that works, I am under a contract for a few more months. To me a contract is a guaranteed price for a fixed term. I was explained that only the discount that I get is guaranteed. Aha! So, I can sign a contract today and get $20 off or whatever then the next day they can go raise the base price by $200 and that's OK, it's not a breach of contract!

How come no regulatory agency is watching these guys for pulling this stuff on their customers. Come on, we're not that dumb!

I'll be sure to look for a different provider once my contract expires. And if they are all the same, then I'm fine with rabbit ears, building an HTPC and watching TV online. This is just getting ridiculous, raising prices all the time in this economy when wages are going down, assuming you're lucky to even have a job!
post #736 of 973 Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Anyone catch the new HD channels, i.e. Cartoon Network and some sheiza ESPN stuff?
Might have to reboot your box.
post #737 of 973 Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Any new news on surewest moving from our current craptastic DVR to microsoft? All the news I found is from the summer.
post #738 of 973 Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin1 View Post

Any new news on surewest moving from our current craptastic DVR to microsoft? All the news I found is from the summer.

I check every week or so, but nothing new... I get drastically different answers from different people, so I have no idea what to believe.
post #739 of 973 Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I check every week or so, but nothing new... I get drastically different answers from different people, so I have no idea what to believe.

I just had Surewest over fiber installed a couple weeks ago and was told the Microsoft boxes will be out in January. Coming from Uverse who also used the Microsoft middleware I am extremely excited! Uverse was by far the best TV service I've ever used.
post #740 of 973 Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM

On the phone with technical support this weekend, I was told the new DVR would be released this month. Right now there is no waiting list for existing customers, but one will be started as soon as it is released. Installation pricing info was not yet available. Was told to call back again in a week.
post #741 of 973 Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM

www.surewest.com/change
that will give you a number to call to get on the list starting service next year
post #742 of 973 Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spewak View Post

www.surewest.com/change
that will give you a number to call to get on the list starting service next year

Good find. I emailed Surewest today and all they told me was the DVR is still under testing yet and I would need to replace the current DVR and all the other set top boxes. They didn't even give me a link to the site you posted. I have a feeling rental rates will be going up.
post #743 of 973 Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 PM

I was questioning SureWest as to when the new DVR was coming out, the size of the hard drive and whether external storage would be an option... here is the reply.

Quote:

We are still in the testing phases of the new DVR and we do not have a
definite release date as of yet. I can tell you however that the new DVR
can hold either 100 hours of standard definition recordings or 40 hours
of HD recordings. There is not a way to add external storage.

We are very excited about the new hardware and hope to have it out very
soon. We encourage you to check back with us again soon for
availability.

If you have any other questions or concerns regarding this issue, please
either reply to this message or give us a call at 1-888-639-1611.

post #744 of 973 Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM

I asked about early sign-up and prices and this was their email response:

Thank you for your interest in our new video system. Unfortunately
there is no early sign up. There will be a brief period where the
Microsoft Media Room equipment will only be available for new customers.
This is what is called a soft launch. A soft launch allows us to gauge
the demand for the new equipment as well as work through any possible
issues that may arise before the full launch happens. We do not yet
have a solid release date on the soft launch. We expect to know the
procedures for upgrading current customers by the time of the soft
launch.

Please check back with us again soon for availability and upgrade
options.

Seems like it would be better to "soft launch" with existing customers. I guess we won't be getting it this year.
post #745 of 973 Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 AM

I can't stand when companies do this. I understand the need to trickle the service out before a mass-launch, but since this is a massive improvement over their current abysmal hardware/software they should reward existing customers that are willing to be early adopters.

After looking at the flash overview linked above I see they are using the exact same Motorola hardware and Mediaroom software as UVerse. I'm so excited about this I want it yesterday! If they delay the existing customer roll-out beyond January I'm leaving their service because the current DVR is absolutely horrible.... dropping scheduled recordings and lack of control over exactly what to record and when.
post #746 of 973 Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM

I called the 916 number listed on the "change" website. The technician could only say that I should call back Jan 1 - that seems to be the official launch.

He couldn't answer any more questions as they hadn't had any training on the new DVR, STB or middleware yet. Nor did he know the pricing structure.

I can't wait! I've been very happy with Tivo but I'm buying a HDTV for the first time and with the new DVR and Microsoft Mediaroom, I'm really looking forward to the new TV experience.
post #747 of 973 Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 AM

While calling about another topic, I asked a Tech Services person about the MS Media Room launch. It's supposed to be released "sometime this month" and I should just keep checking for an announcement. Hopefully Surewest will be releasing an announcement to their customers rather than waiting for us to make the initial contact for a conversion.

BTW, although a 7 year subscriber to Surewest, I am a new member as of this forum as of today. Thanks to all of the current members who have contributed to the valuable information I have found here.
post #748 of 973 Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Wife called; was told following:

Will be released in the "next couple months"...

Anybody ordering now gets the DVR needed for MediaRoom functionality, which will upgraded in place via a software upgrade. This seems questionable to me. Thoughts?

What make/model DVR do you folks have now?
post #749 of 973 Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like they'll be using the Motorola VIP1216 or 1225 DVR. They'll probably still use the Amino HD box or switch over to the Motorola VIP1200.
post #750 of 973 Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM

spoke to a rep today. they said they just released it to copper only customers. they will be slowly releasing to fiber customers soon. no timeframe, but probably in a month or so.

it will also be a completely new price structure for your tv package. not sure on the actual pricing yet for existing customers... all current boxes will be replaced including the amino boxes
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page