Sacramento, CA - SureWest - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 973 Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I've been having quite a few problems with my DVR and my slave unit (non-DVR set-top box) talking to each other, I've complained to SureWest about the issue. They looked at the reports from my DVR, slave unit and the residential gateway and determined that it must be a wiring issue. I was 95% sure that it was NOT a problem with the wiring inside the house, but agreed to have a service tech come out and test. I was slightly nervous when they said that I would be charged if the problem was found to be in my wiring, but as I mentioned, I was fairly certain that it was not. I have already run many tests of my own wiring with my CAT5 tester and not found any problems. Yesterday, the service technician arrived and ran numerous tests... all of which tested normally. His tester does essentially the same as mine except that it creates PDF documents certifying that they passed the tests, which they did. He changed out the residential gateway and forced firmware updates on all devices. Unfortunately, this erased all the shows recorded on my DVR unit. As I had nothing left recorded, I haven't had a chance to see if the slave and DVR unit are having communication issues still. I did see that I'm still having issues with pictures freezing up for several seconds. My guess is that this is happening at SureWest's head-end. I noticed it quite a bit during the Olympics on 603, but I was getting it on the Science Channel (620) and Planet Green (623) last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 973 Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM

These freezeups occur on both our SD & HD but Hallmark is the worst offender, followed by tne Encore channels.

We appreciated Surewest's fixing the problems created from their admittedly incorrect installation settings. But problems continue to arise: [1] picture freezes [2] DVR not responding to remote [3] audio turning off when we hit unrelated remote keys [4] remote keys triggering unrelated functions. These things are sporadic, some days are pretty good...other days a nightmare. We considered replacing the DVR and remotes but expect it would be "luck of the draw"...just as it was with UVERSE.

At this point, we have resigned ourselves...if the problems become unendurable...we will regretfully switch back to Comcast. At some point reliability becomes more important than Surewest's desirable features. Sigh.
post #843 of 973 Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 AM

just fyi... not being converted to mediaroom yet, my video has been fine. adb dvr and amino stb's.
post #844 of 973 Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 AM

I have had no problems with my DVR and STBs communicating with each other. Only problem I have seen is when the DVR is recording 2 HD channels and I am watching a recorded program on a STB and the picture freezes occasionally.
The remotes are another thing. Button layout is terrible and the remotes and the Motorola boxes must be using a frequency that has interference with my plasma panels. The STB with my one LCD panel has no problems with the remote at all, very responsive. The DVR and STB with my 2 plasma panels, I have to press buttons sometimes more than once to get a response. I did see another thread about putting tape on the sensor but that didn't help very much.
HD channel 603 was out a couple of hours yesterday afternoon.
Surewest switching to Motorola and Microsoft was not a good move.
post #845 of 973 Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM

We continue to have issues with the DVR and non-DVR unit communicating. The research department at SureWest is now looking into our issue and running tests from their end on our equipment. I'm told that they have been hearing several similar issues, so they acknowledge it isn't just me having this issue. We also continue to have many 2-3 second pauses while watching live TV on both our DVR and non-DVR unit. The pauses also show up in recordings if they occurred on the channel that is being recorded. I never had these pauses with my older DVR devices.
post #846 of 973 Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM

I assume they have swapped out your boxes already and still having the same problem?
Playing back any recorded programs from the STBs still have occasional picture freeze ups even if the DVR is not recording.
Any answers to the decreased HD picture quality since you have been talking to Surewest?
post #847 of 973 Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinn View Post

I assume they have swapped out your boxes already and still having the same problem?
Playing back any recorded programs from the STBs still have occasional picture freeze ups even if the DVR is not recording.
Any answers to the decreased HD picture quality since you have been talking to Surewest?

I have actually been surprised that they have not thought of replacing the boxes, just to make sure it is not a hardware error. They still insist they have done nothing to streams... if this is the case, Motorola makes a crappy MPEG4 decoder, as ADB and Amino had no problem decoding them. Now that I think of it, that may be exactly the problem; Motorola may have put too weak a processor and cache memory in the set-top box to handle MPEG4 decoding and all the other bells and whistles Mediaroom uses. The blackout/pauses may be a problem with memory overload. This is purely a random thought in my head, but at the moment it seems plausible.
post #848 of 973 Old 03-26-2010, 08:56 PM

Has anyone here in the community heard of any additions coming to Surewest's HD channel lineup?
post #849 of 973 Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Surewest has added a number of channels since Media Room but I think they have all been SD....mostly sports and community channels. Each time they do this, the new channels default into our favorites list and we have to manually remove them. Annoying.
post #850 of 973 Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM

Channel management on these Motorola boxes are terrible.
I continue to see intermittent picture and sound freezes when viewing a recording from one of the STBs. They should have stayed with ADB and Amino because they now have similar features like the Motorola/Microsoft boxes.
I continue to have problems with the remote and interference with my plasma panels. I will have to try some more different codes.
Everything was fine until I upgraded? to the Motorola/Microsoft setup. By the way, installation is now free. They should refund us early adopters.
bigRoN, you are probably right that Motorola makes a crappy MPEG4 decoder.
post #851 of 973 Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM

I've had the same issues with the STB viewing recordings from the DVR. They sent out a tech this morning to fix the issue. Seems to be resolved so far, they ran a new cat5 line directly to the DVR from their box outside. It was plugged into a switch that went to the DVR and STB.
post #852 of 973 Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinn View Post

Channel management on these Motorola boxes are terrible.

So they're using Motorola boxes now? What model?

I wish I could switch from Comcast who is gouging me with the prices at the moment, but I don't think Surewest services my apartment complex even though they send me a flyer each month in the mail.

Anyway, I'm using a motorola box and I hate how horribly unresponsive it can be at times.

Brandon

Brandon 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #853 of 973 Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

So they're using Motorola boxes now? What model?

I wish I could switch from Comcast who is gouging me with the prices at the moment, but I don't think Surewest services my apartment complex even though they send me a flyer each month in the mail.

Anyway, I'm using a motorola box and I hate how horribly unresponsive it can be at times.

Brandon

The new boxes are the VIP 1200 for the non-DVR set-top boxes and VIP 1216 for the DVR. The 16 in 1216 refers to 160 GB... the size of the hard drive inside the box. These are the same boxes used by AT&T for Uverse. I've heard people with Uverse saying they have a 1225 (250 GB drive), but Motorola makes no mention of this product existing... makes me wonder if AT&T themselves are changing out the hard drive because people find that 160 GB is too small for a HDTV recorder.
post #854 of 973 Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 AM

Since our Media Room install, we called support multiple times about rampant and lengthy picture freezes. These problems disappeared more than a week ago.

The remaining problems seemed to be with our DVR and/or Remote. Surewest arrived today and replaced both. We still have to occasionally press a key several times or hold the keys down longer or aim the remote directly at the DVR, but at least the commands are now being performed.

When we first got Media Room, our remote commands were performed by the time we let up on the remote keys. It was downright eerie. We assumed it was some technological advance and that we would be enjoying this performance henceforth. Well. I just googled for tv remote problems and was stunned by the quantity of hits across many brands of remotes, dvrs, stbs, HDTVs, etc. Most were ascribed to environmental interferences. Many of the homemade solutions were clever (?), I never knew there were so many electronics uses for toilet paper tubes.

Now if I can just figure out the correct angle to set my jaw or the right brand of toilet paper, maybe I can get that whiz-bang performance back again?
post #855 of 973 Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 AM

so I called last week to get mediaroom installed (despite the issues mentioned above - the benefits are too good to pass up) & was told the earliest I could get it "installed" (even though I already have CAT5 everywhere...) was June 11th. seems like they are either slow rolling this out, or there are many people who've requested upgrades... in any case, fyi.
post #856 of 973 Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 AM

I switched to the new DVR/Media Room service last Saturday. The HD quality is most definitely degraded. From my experience with computer graphics, I'm 100% convinced it's a compression issue. Faces are sometimes sharp when the person holds absolutely still, but at the slightest movement they lose detail until they hold still again - it looks like they're going in and out of focus. Large patches of blue sky are no longer smooth, but rather composed of thousands of blocky chunks of slightly different shades of blue - very noticable. And all channels with any kind of content have a vague graininess that wasn't there at all before.

I should mention, I do have a 58" Samsung plasma and I'm picky. But as I used to sit here and marvel at how awesome the picture was, now I'm sitting here cringing at all the compression artifacts.

I called Surewest a little while ago. The rep was very helpful and promised to have a lead call me in the morning. It will be interesting to see if they tapdance around this or actually come up with a solution. My guess is this is just the way the new system is and there won't be anything they can do, in which case I'll be asking them to switch me back. I love the new guide format, but I'd be willing to have the old one back if I can get my former HD quality back.
post #857 of 973 Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 PM

A lot of us here feel the same way that HD quality is not as good with the Motorola STBs. They may not have enough processing power.
My calibrated KRP 600M was awesome with the ADB and Amino boxes but just not as clear now.
post #858 of 973 Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Can anyone comment on the HD quality as compared to Comcast? Also, do the boxes work well in terms of user experience? The Comcast boxes (also Mototrola) are horrible, they backup, get jerkey when using the menu in HD.

-Ron
post #859 of 973 Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Hi, I see a few folks mentioned MythTV and VLC (djBEER most recently mentioned doing some tests with VLC and referenced MythTV).

I'm a MythTV user in Sacramento on Comcast. Comcast is going to start encrypting signals in a few days for almost every channel, so my MythTV is about to be broken because I have no way to attach a CableCard to MythTV. I was thinking about switching to Surewest, but saw they're using Microsoft's Mediaroom and a Google search shows Mediaroom using PKI keys to presumably encrypt signals. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised to see djBEER using VLC. Maybe Surewest didn't implement the PKI portion???

Are people subscribed to the MediaRoom service yet still able to see an unencrypted television signal without Mediaroom? Its my understanding that the FCC requires providers to broadcast local OTA channels (like 3, 13, 31, etc.) in the clear. Are you guys able to see the other channels like Bravo, Animal Planet, Comedy, etc.?

I'm aware of the Surewest posting on the MythTV wiki that walks you through the UDP setup, but I feared that process would no longer work if we need PKI keys. Because Surewest insists on a contract with hefty cancellation fees, I'm hoping you folks familiar with MythTV won't mind sharing more about your findings and experiences.

Unfortunately, I need unencrypted signals to work with the computer. I don't care about extra pay channels like HBO, Showtime, etc., so no big deal if those are encrypted. I'm after the Advanced and TrueHD lineup.

Thanks for your help!
post #860 of 973 Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flindet View Post

Are people subscribed to the MediaRoom service yet still able to see an unencrypted television signal without Mediaroom? Its my understanding that the FCC requires providers to broadcast local OTA channels (like 3, 13, 31, etc.) in the clear. Are you guys able to see the other channels like Bravo, Animal Planet, Comedy, etc.?

I believe the bit about the FCC and unencrypted television signals is only valid with systems using RF technology... ie. traditional cable service, which Surewest is not. With that being said, I have not heard any updates since after the new DVR system has been out there, but I've heard of people being able to record anything they were authorized to watch using a MythTV setup... I still would like to set-up a MythTV system, but as of yet I haven't.
post #861 of 973 Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks, bigRoN:

I think I'll give it a go. Of course, I only want access to what I'd be subscribed to, so that's no problem. I guess if Surewest is encrypting/starts encrypting, I'll just break down and spend the big bucks on a few Hauppage HD-PVRs. It's disappointing to have to buy stuff like that to access the signal you're already paying for, but right or wrong, it's getting more and more difficult to avoid doing that.

I tried to talk to Surewest about it, but I didn't get too much information before they got nervous and didn't want to talk about it anymore. They confirmed they're supporting both the mediaroom approach and the old equipment approach, but that eventually everyone will be forced to mediaroom. My guess is that it's possible to get an unecrypted signal now, but when they have everyone on mediaroom, they'll turn encryption on.

It wasn't clear to me if folks that were on mediaroom now were already negotiating PKI keys. Docs on mediaroom I've seen talked about that and it sounded like mediaroom ALWAYS did that. But maybe that's an option for the provider that Surewest hasn't activated yet because they're still in their migration.

I also suspect there's a VLAN separating IPTV from the rest of the network. Thus why the MythTV wiki specifies a dedicated NIC???

Anyway, not much concrete information and so apologies if my guesses are all wrong.

I'll order Surewest soon and we'll see how this works out.

As an aside, bigRoN, if you're looking for a quick way to get Myth up and running, you can check out these:

mythdora.com
mythtv.org/wiki/SureWest_IPTV

You'll want a videocard that supports VDPAU.
mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
post #862 of 973 Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I also suspect there's a VLAN separating IPTV from the rest of the network. Thus why the MythTV wiki specifies a dedicated NIC???

You'll want a videocard that supports VDPAU.
mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU

Video and Internet are separated at the residential gateway. Internet is allowed on 1 of the 6 Ethernet jacks on the residential gateway, while the remaining 5 are dedicated to only video. If you were to use this in the MythTV setup, you'd need a NIC for your network connection, connected to your router, while a seperate NIC would be connected to directly to one of the 5 Ethernet jacks on the residential gateway without going through a router, switch or hub. You can, as I do at my house, go through a patch panel. I have multiple runs of CAT6 cables running to jacks all over the house and all terminate at a patch panel. Also, 6 CAT6 cables come to the patch panel. I can then determine which jack will be used for Internet and which will be video. Below is a picture of my patch panel when I was installing my physical network. The panel is grouped in groups of 6, so the first 6 come directly from the residential gateway and then I have 6 to each room.

post #863 of 973 Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Wow! That is extremely helpful. Thanks, bigRoN.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused, though, probably because I'm no networking expert. The router not working makes all kinds of sense to me because that's layer 3. No problem.

However, I would have expected the switch and hub to work at layer 2.

Hmm... but I guess it makes sense. The VLAN ties to the particular ports on their gateway then? So, anything on the IPTV port(s) is going to be in the IPTV VLAN. And everything on the Internet port(s) is going to be in the Internet VLAN. So, hooking up a switch would theoretically allow more connections (mac filtering aside for a moment), but those connections would still be locked to either IPTV or the Internet. Ugh....

I wonder if this is new because this isn't meshing with my (apparently wrong) understanding of the Surewest IPTV write-up: mythtv.org/wiki/SureWest_IPTV

So, what happens if I have a TV and a computer in the same room, but only one RJ-45 jack in the room? I thought I'd just throw in a cheap switch from Fry's or wherever and it'd be sorted, but apparently not. That sounds like a major problem. Am I the only one that has TVs and computers in the same room? hahah That seems like it could alienate a lot of customers. What do they do in that case?

Thanks again for your help! It would be such a nightmare if I sign the contract and absolutely nothing works. If you take Myth out of the picture, it still seems like this could be nasty. How would I plug in their mediaroom and still use my computer in one room. Ouch...
post #864 of 973 Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Wow! That is extremely helpful. Thanks, bigRoN.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused, though, probably because I'm no networking expert. The router not working makes all kinds of sense to me because that's layer 3. No problem.

However, I would have expected the switch and hub to work at layer 2.

Hmm... but I guess it makes sense. The VLAN ties to the particular ports on their gateway then? So, anything on the IPTV port(s) is going to be in the IPTV VLAN. And everything on the Internet port(s) is going to be in the Internet VLAN. So, hooking up a switch would theoretically allow more connections (mac filtering aside for a moment), but those connections would still be locked to either IPTV or the Internet. Ugh....

I wonder if this is new because this isn't meshing with my (apparently wrong) understanding of the Surewest IPTV write-up: mythtv.org/wiki/SureWest_IPTV

So, what happens if I have a TV and a computer in the same room, but only one RJ-45 jack in the room? I thought I'd just throw in a cheap switch from Fry's or wherever and it'd be sorted, but apparently not. That sounds like a major problem. Am I the only one that has TVs and computers in the same room? hahah That seems like it could alienate a lot of customers. What do they do in that case?

Thanks again for your help! It would be such a nightmare if I sign the contract and absolutely nothing works. If you take Myth out of the picture, it still seems like this could be nasty. How would I plug in their mediaroom and still use my computer in one room. Ouch...

I have a similar setup like bigRoN (cat6). IPTV signals will not make it past a router so you will need 2 switches for multiple connections. If you have just one connection and one PC and one TV hookup, maybe a switch might work. Someone else more knowledgeable here may know for sure, but it you already have a switch, it won't hurt to try. I know it won't work if you have multiple PC and TV hookups, so a router and 2 switches are necessary.
Attached is a pic. I think I did it right.
Attachment 174910
LL
post #865 of 973 Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks, Adinn:

I have multiple computers and televisions in my house. I way too geeky with the computers. hahah

There is a router for the computers to share the Internet connection. I wasn't planning to send the IPTV signals through the router. In the old days according to the Surewest MythTV wiki, this was done by assigning MAC addresses and using specific gateways to direct traffic toward the Surewest gateway and not the home router. However, it looks like things may have changed with mediaroom. If I understood bigRoN correctly, the wires must be completely physically separated. That sounds very different than how I understood the wiki, but it's definitely plausible. I know with at least Cisco switches, and indubitably others, you can create VLANs based on the actual port of the switch. That would probably explain the behavior bigRoN reported. Now, I know folks personally that are still using old equipment and I would guess the wiki instructions would still work for them. I think there's a migration and so I'm guessing that not everyone is in bigRoN's situation. Although as a new customer, I'd probably be forced into it. :-(

What I really want is to add a switch to the single ethernet jack in the room and manage this all with gateway settings.

I've tried contacting Surewest a number of times to ask how the set-up will be. They seem quite eager to sign me up and get started, but they always managed to forget to answer my questions regarding what installation will entail. hahaha So, thus far bigRoN's response is the most descriptive and so I'm guessing the most accurate. It looks like the wiki hasn't been touched for a year so perhaps it's no longer correct for every customer.
post #866 of 973 Old 05-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Adinn:

I have multiple computers and televisions in my house. I way too geeky with the computers. hahah

There is a router for the computers to share the Internet connection. I wasn't planning to send the IPTV signals through the router. In the old days according to the Surewest MythTV wiki, this was done by assigning MAC addresses and using specific gateways to direct traffic toward the Surewest gateway and not the home router. However, it looks like things may have changed with mediaroom. If I understood bigRoN correctly, the wires must be completely physically separated. That sounds very different than how I understood the wiki, but it's definitely plausible. I know with at least Cisco switches, and indubitably others, you can create VLANs based on the actual port of the switch. That would probably explain the behavior bigRoN reported. Now, I know folks personally that are still using old equipment and I would guess the wiki instructions would still work for them. I think there's a migration and so I'm guessing that not everyone is in bigRoN's situation. Although as a new customer, I'd probably be forced into it. :-(

What I really want is to add a switch to the single ethernet jack in the room and manage this all with gateway settings.

I've tried contacting Surewest a number of times to ask how the set-up will be. They seem quite eager to sign me up and get started, but they always managed to forget to answer my questions regarding what installation will entail. hahaha So, thus far bigRoN's response is the most descriptive and so I'm guessing the most accurate. It looks like the wiki hasn't been touched for a year so perhaps it's no longer correct for every customer.

To my understanding I had, they use MAC addresses to identify devices. They only allow one MAC address to be used for Internet and the remainder are identified for video set-top boxes. They only look as far as the first device plugged into the residential gateway, which for the Internet, would be the router. If a router were placed between the gateway and a set-top box, it would not see the set-top boxes behind it.

In the MythTV setup, you would first identify the MAC address of one of your legitimate set-top boxes and set the extra NIC on you MythTV to spoof that MAC address, so when plugged into the jack normally used by the set-top box, SureWest would think that your MythTV is your set-top box. It is a simple network machine address identification authorization. They know the MAC address belongs to a device authorized to your account and the box is plugged into your account's gateway device, so therefore, it must be legitimate.

I could be wrong on this, but this is how I understood the network to work.
post #867 of 973 Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM

Yeah, that part is no problem (unless mediaroom is introducing encryption now). My problem is all about the network. If they require two physically separate networks, then I'm in trouble because I only have one cat5e cable running to each of the rooms, and the Myth will require a connection to the IPTV network for capturing and a connection to the home network/Internet (channel guide, streaming, back-ups, etc.). I originally thought I could solve that problem with a switch, but thanks to help from you folks, I see now that was a bogus assumption.

I went poking around in the attic last night, but I don't think it's going to be an option for me to drop another line unfortunately. The attic is filled to the rim with ducting and insulation and my crazy roof makes it seem impossible to get to key rooms.

So, now I'm considering one of those MoCA coax to ethernet converters. The Netgear one says it can do up to 270 Mbps, which I'm thinking will be fast enough to capture the 2 HD and 2 SD signals Surewest's DVR records (and which my Myth would emulate). (Example: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-MCAB10.../dp/B001N85NMI) I haven't done enough research on MoCA yet, though. Most comments mention Verizon and FiOS, so I don't know if that will be a problem with Surewest. Surewest did tell me they can use coax, they just prefer not to.

If they can find a way to drop another ethernet line in the wall, that's great, but I'm thinking I'm hosed. :-(
post #868 of 973 Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that part is no problem (unless mediaroom is introducing encryption now). My problem is all about the network. If they require two physically separate networks, then I'm in trouble because I only have one cat5e cable running to each of the rooms, and the Myth will require a connection to the IPTV network for capturing and a connection to the home network/Internet (channel guide, streaming, back-ups, etc.). I originally thought I could solve that problem with a switch, but thanks to help from you folks, I see now that was a bogus assumption.

I went poking around in the attic last night, but I don't think it's going to be an option for me to drop another line unfortunately. The attic is filled to the rim with ducting and insulation and my crazy roof makes it seem impossible to get to key rooms.

So, now I'm considering one of those MoCA coax to ethernet converters. The Netgear one says it can do up to 270 Mbps, which I'm thinking will be fast enough to capture the 2 HD and 2 SD signals Surewest's DVR records (and which my Myth would emulate). (Example: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-MCAB10.../dp/B001N85NMI) I haven't done enough research on MoCA yet, though. Most comments mention Verizon and FiOS, so I don't know if that will be a problem with Surewest. Surewest did tell me they can use coax, they just prefer not to.

If they can find a way to drop another ethernet line in the wall, that's great, but I'm thinking I'm hosed. :-(

When I did the wiring in my house, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Thankfully, the insulation in my attic is blown cellulose, which is easy to move around and is not as irritating as fiberglass. It was a pain in the behind to go through the scissor-truss area. In one location, I couldn't drill a perpendicular hole in the top plate because the length of the drill and bit were too long in a scissor-truss area, so I drilled at an angle... pain in the behind. I did all the work myself because I knew that no utility company would do an adequate job. A utility company would rather run the cabling around the outside of the house to the room you want it in, drill a hole through the outside into the inside and put a wall plate on the inside and just caulk around the cable... I absolutely did not want anything like that. SureWest can convert the Ethernet to run over coax, but this is clearly substandard in quality. To make their installation easier, the new Mediaroom boxes actually have the coax-to-Ethernet built into the set-top boxes, giving you the option to use either CAT-5 or coax. Prior to these boxes, they had a unit near the gateway that converted to coax and a separate box near each set-top box that would convert it back to a CAT-5 connection for plugging in to the box; basically the Motorola boxes includes that device inside.
post #869 of 973 Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 AM

BR,
You still having problems with your slave unit? I just hooked up an HDTV to my slave unit and am having problems wherein the signal drops and does not return unless I hard boot the box.
post #870 of 973 Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Well, after having a tech come out and tell me that in order for the MediaRoom slave unit to work, Component cable has to be used vs. HDMI. Reason being is that the engineers found out that the Moto box does the processing vs. the tv doing it. How that relates to the simple fact that I cannot use the HDMI output from the cable box to my new LCD HDMI input is beyond me. As for the service I recieved from Surewest, I am having DirecTv installed shortly and cancelling the tv portion of Surewest. I am tired of being a guinea pig as it relates to Surewest and their equipment. Their prices are high, and as the Tech support person related to me, they do updates in small, slow increments to see what works and what needs refinement. I am getting off the video train, but keeping the internet and phone portions.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page