Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1518 Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

heard that there's not much planned for NH because of the low population and the cost of running fiber.

Gotta love deregulation of utilities

They ran fiber in front of my house about 18 months ago and I've had FIOS internet for over a year. I think it's just the town-to-town red tape of getting a new cable provider in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1518 Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis33 View Post

They ran fiber in front of my house about 18 months ago and I've had FIOS internet for over a year. I think it's just the town-to-town red tape of getting a new cable provider in.

Looks like the new guide was rolled out this Wed(8/8). Seems kind of clumsy. It will probably take some time to get used to. Still, it should be an improvement over the previous Commodore 64 version....
post #303 of 1518 Old 08-09-2007, 08:46 PM

Is it me or is the call wait time for their service center has tripped?
Aside from the annoying phone menu system, I had to wait 30 minutes to request a service appt for a bad router. The good thing is their tech showed up two hours later with a new router but he had to wait forever on the phone to reach one of his call center people to get the new router added to their system.

I guess the business is good, but it comes with a price....Still, I don't miss Comcrap.
post #304 of 1518 Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 AM

About to make the call to conver from Comcass. But the more I talk with Verizon the more costs I hear. This is the exact package that I want to purchase, can anyone compare it to their charges and see if it sounds accurate?

$99.99 triple play special
$12.99 for HD DVR box
$4.99 for standard box
$15.99 for HBO
$15.00 estimated "taxes and surcharges"

$19.99 one time internet set-up charge

They constantly remind me that "the discounts apply for 24 mos" - does anyone know what happens then? Also, she says that I would "see the discounts" after 1-2 billing cycles. What does this mean? I asked her, but she had already logged of our "live chat". Anyone with a similar situation who has converted and can verify any or all of this, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Ben
post #305 of 1518 Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks to a Verizon linesman living in my neighborhood my street with underground wiring has been lit up and I just cut over to FIOS. The final straw was the "Sports and Entertainment" package that Comcast was trying to hit me for so I could get NFL Network.

Here's my deal:

5mb/2mb Internet
Unlimited US Calling
FIOS TV Premiere
Moto 6416 DVR

Total cost is $110 WITH taxes year 1 and $125 WITH taxes after that- 2 year price guarantee.

1 time $29.95 activation fee.

Basically after year 1 it will be the same cost as Comcast except I get HDNet and NFL Network and have a Verizon supplied wireless router.

I know Comcast is rolling out TIVO software for their DVRs but I'm not a heavy DVR user so I don't care if the Verizon interface is clunky.

I'll post my comments on how the cutover goes - I'll miss my email address since I've had it for over 10 years now!
post #306 of 1518 Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 PM

I'm considering a move over to FIOS TV, but I was wondering if someone could confirm something for me: Right now with Comcast, I can have each tuner on a separate channel and it buffers each channel (the past 20 min or so on HD channels). So if I'm watching one show live, and it goes to commercial, I can hit the Swap button and go over to the other tuner -- and rewind back 20 min. to watch that program.

Does the FIOS DVR have this capability? Note, I'm not talking about recordings or recorded shows - just watching live TV. Thanks!
post #307 of 1518 Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessbrown View Post

I'm considering a move over to FIOS TV, but I was wondering if someone could confirm something for me: Right now with Comcast, I can have each tuner on a separate channel and it buffers each channel (the past 20 min or so on HD channels). So if I'm watching one show live, and it goes to commercial, I can hit the Swap button and go over to the other tuner -- and rewind back 20 min. to watch that program.

Does the FIOS DVR have this capability? Note, I'm not talking about recordings or recorded shows - just watching live TV. Thanks!

I have a friend who has FIOS and the tuner looks identical to the Comcast one (Motorola), so I'm assuming it works the same...
post #308 of 1518 Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 AM

I'm a newbie to this forum, so please help if I need to post this elsewhere. I currently have Comcas* and have two COAX runs from the pole on the street. The attic run services the upstairs equipment, including two set top boxes, telephone and Internet (Internet and phone are carried over COAX to the modem which has battery backup). The basement run services boxes in the living room and family room.

I understand Verizon will run fiber to the house to their ONT breakout box. Can someone explain what happens after that? I need a five-way split on the COAX line; will that be an issue?

Thanks...
post #309 of 1518 Old 09-01-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipg View Post

Can someone explain what happens after that? I need a five-way split on the COAX line; will that be an issue?

Thanks...

If you subscribe to all three Verizon services your phone line will be hooked up to the ONT on the phone service port.

Your internet would likely be serviced via Actiontec modem which gets its data link over the coax. Basically you'd get 5Mbps downstream and 2Mbps upstream, but you could subscribe to a faster level of service.

Your Verizon supplied settop boxes would be fed from a splitter which could support all five tv sets.
post #310 of 1518 Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 AM

http://www.ci.methuen.ma.us/Document.../PRVERIZON.pdf

I can't wait
post #311 of 1518 Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM

We have it in Sudbury and it does rock. Same DVR box as I had with Comcast except HDMI (I had the old DVI). Loving Ondemand same as release day movies.

ÂThe nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help" Ronald Reagan
post #312 of 1518 Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamii View Post

We have it in Sudbury and it does rock. Same DVR box as I had with Comcast except HDMI (I had the old DVI). Loving Ondemand same as release day movies.

So does the DVR have the same "bog down" issues as the Comcast ones? I've read that the issue is with the Comcast software rather than the Moto hardware?

I'm scheduled for 9/25 so the countdown is ON!
post #313 of 1518 Old 09-07-2007, 12:49 PM

No lockups yet. Ive had it for 3 weeks. Pretty smooth so far. I had a ton of problems with the box lockingup with Comcast as well as audio synch problems every now and then. And its all good with Verizon. The customer service is off the hook so far. I had a line issue a few days after install and they were there within an hour, I was trying to setup an appt for the next day and was told East Coast FIOS customers get same day service.

ÂThe nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help" Ronald Reagan
post #314 of 1518 Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM

>>Loving Ondemand same as release day movies.
Tell me about this - that might make me want to switch. Are you saying that Fios OnDemand gets movies same day as theatres? How much are they?
post #315 of 1518 Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 PM

From what I have read Comcast is trying it out also. The only catch is you only get what they have chosen for OnDemand but they usualy hit with some good ones.
Example the 300 came out the same day OnDemand as it did on Video and was $4 or so ($3 and change).
Other then the tech trying to tell me I needed to run a new phone line to have a seperate line in one of the bedrooms. Even though phone lines only use 2 wires of the 4 and all you have to do is use those and reverse them at the plate. But whatever I just had him stop with his line running talk and changed out the black and green and presto new phone line
File me under still Loving FIOS

post #316 of 1518 Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Any update on FIOS in Malden?
post #317 of 1518 Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 PM

I saw Fiber being run down PowderMill Road in Maynard this AM.

post #318 of 1518 Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Has anyone received a definitive answer from FiOS on whether or not they will add TBS-HD in time for the MLB playoffs?
post #319 of 1518 Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydogg2603 View Post

Has anyone received a definitive answer from FiOS on whether or not they will add TBS-HD in time for the MLB playoffs?

Yea, that would be nice but I haven't heard anything. My guess is they would probably put it right next to TNT-HD in the line-up.I read that Comca$$ is adding TBS-HD nationally next Monday.

Go Sox!
post #320 of 1518 Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM

As usual, I forgot about an important detail when I ordered my FIOS service - I have 2 old analog sets that with Comcast have nothing but a direct coax hookup.

A Verizon tech told me all I'd get on those would be 12 locals and nothing else - since its a new service Vz decided to start right out with the 2009 all digital legislation. So...now I need to decide whether or not I want to go with 2 additional set top boxes @ about $5/month, buy my own digital boxes and hope that the basic Vz channels are in the clear, use this as an excuse to buy a couple cheap digital-ready TVs to avoid the box or figure out some other workaround.

I'd like to avoid the boxes simply from an aesthetic point of view but don't want to drop a lot of $$ to do so.

Any ideas and/or experiences with this?
post #321 of 1518 Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydogg2603 View Post

I was wondering the same thing after hearing the comcast is rolling out TBS next week.

If I don't get the Sox playoffs in HD, I will be royally ticked off.
post #322 of 1518 Old 10-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Can someone tell me if it is true that Verizon is bypassing neighborhoods with underground utilities? I'm truly tired of Comcrap and have been through D* before. It seems awfully shortsighted to me that they would bypass all of the newer neighborhoods in town as they have the higher average incomes.
post #323 of 1518 Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 AM

Liked: 11
Yes. A Verizon rep confirmed that that was indeed one of the factors used to determine who they offer service to. Verizon strung fiber past here Summer 2006 and refuse to offer us service, while neighbors down the block are already offered service.
post #324 of 1518 Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfluff View Post

Can someone tell me if it is true that Verizon is bypassing neighborhoods with underground utilities? I'm truly tired of Comcrap and have been through D* before. It seems awfully shortsighted to me that they would bypass all of the newer neighborhoods in town as they have the higher average incomes.

According to a co-worker that lives in Marlborough no. Verizon just tore up the end of his driveway laying fiber a week or so ago. They had to go back and fix it for him.
post #325 of 1518 Old 10-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfluff View Post

I'm in Middleboro and they lit up my development. They have to run a conduit to each house as service is ordered because in '96 the zoning allowed for direct burial of cable/phone wiring. My street may have been bumped up on the list because a Verizon linesman lives here...?
post #326 of 1518 Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Doesn't seem like VZ FIOS is going to make TBS in HD available in time for the Sox-Angels series. Very disappointing. I just hope it doesn't go more than 3 games so we can catch the Sox in the nextt round on FOX.
post #327 of 1518 Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM

MLB playoffs on TBS is as bad as the NHL on Versus...no wait, its worse!!

FiOS (again) lacks any competitive edge. You usually try and beat the competition. FiOS-TV can't even keep up!!
post #328 of 1518 Old 10-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR68 View Post

MLB playoffs on TBS is as bad as the NHL on Versus...no wait, its worse!!

FiOS (again) lacks any competitive edge. You usually try and beat the competition. FiOS-TV can't even keep up!!

Agreed. I sent an e-mail to their VP of Communications but I am sure she'll click on the Delete icon as soon as she sees any reference to TBS HD in the subject line.

It just goes to show you that their major selling point is nothing more than marketing hype and a bunch of BS. Any communications company that uses 6-year olds as TV pitchmen can't be taken seriosly anyway anyway.

Couldn't they just pull useless crap like Wealth, HGTV, Food and LifeTime off for about a week so that the Sox fans could watch TBS in HD?

TVPredictions.com has a great update on VZ's inability to compete :
http://www.tvpredictions.com/2007/10...v-viewers.html
post #329 of 1518 Old 10-03-2007, 07:28 PM

Just who watches those(Wealth, HGTV, Food and LifeTime)channels anyhow? I could see having them if you say had 100 HD channels. But not at the expense of not having A&E-HD, TBS-HD etc. And most all of them aren't even true HD, just blurry screen fillers!
post #330 of 1518 Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM

And check this out from:http://www.tvpredictions.com/twtbs092007.htm

Time Warner Cable has notified HD subscribers in at least one market that it will add TBS HD on October 1.

Time Warner has also told customers in the Northwest part of North Carolina area that several other HD channels will be added on October 15:
A&E HD, MTV HD, History Channel HD, CNN HD, Lifetime Movies HD, Food Network HD, Golf Channel/Versus HD, and Universal HD.

I have TWC at my camp in Maine, just checked they have TBS-HD on the air. I'll see the Sox in HD this weekend...sorry guys. They also give you an HD DVR as their standard HD cable box...no extra charge!

Their only competition up there is Direct TV, but they do everthing to keep their customers happy.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page