Boston, MA - Verizon - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1518 Old 04-26-2008, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It depends on the building and apartment complex. Mine is a typical three-story, 12-unit building, and my apartment got its own fiber feed from the outside, up the side of the building. The optical network terminal (ONT) needs to be attached to a wall inside your apartment and near an electrical outlet, typically in the living room, but your choice. If you're renting, you should probably notify the landlord. The ONT model that I have measures about 12" x 20" x 3.5", so you'll need to hide it behind something since it doesn't come in fashion colors. The ONT contains battery backup, an RJ11 phone jack and coax out (which will be split to the tv and the Verizon-supplied Actiontec wireless router).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1518 Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 AM

The board of selectmen in Walpole granted a cable franchise to Verizon Communications Inc. Wednesday for its FiOS TV service, Verizon said.

The board's action will eventually mean that 6,000 Walpole households will have the option of signing up for its FiOS TV service, Verizon said.

By Verizon's count, there are now 69 Massachusetts communities where FiOS TV is either already available or soon will be.

Headquartered in New York, Verizon delivers broadband and other wireline and wireless services to mass market, business, government, and wholesale customers.
post #453 of 1518 Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if/when Verizon will start getting SciFi in HD? Will that be part of the upgrade on the 12th?
post #454 of 1518 Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudeVive View Post

Does anyone know if/when Verizon will start getting SciFi in HD? Will that be part of the upgrade on the 12th?

I hope so. they really like to drop the ball on the BIG things. Red Sox WS in HD was not cool and then Battlestar Galactica. Comcast had the WS sox and had sci fi...;(
post #455 of 1518 Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Seems like WLVI (the CW) disappeared sometime Monday before primetime.
I think it was on 73.2 but my HDHomeRuns now only see WSBK-DT on 73.1.

I did a scan looking for the callsign on a different frequency and couldn't find it.

Anyone know what is up? Is it working for anyone else?

This is really killing me, the only remaining 3 episodes of 2.5 Men that I have never seen ran yesterday and today and it looks like I am going to miss them...

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #456 of 1518 Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Seems like WLVI is back...

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #457 of 1518 Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyka View Post

quick update on analog shutdown and addition of new hd channels :

the conversion date for mass. and ri is monday, may 12th. that's when all the analog channels(2-49) will be shut down and new hardware for additional 40 QAM will be added(1 QAM channel = 2 HD channels). shutdown of analog channels is tied to the roll out of the new hd channels. vz is doing a staggered rollout by region starting with virginia on april 1st. ca and tx will be last ones in september.

the shutdown of the analog channels doesn't really impact many of fios subs since a vast majority of them use 100% digital sd or hd set-up boxes but if you have a cable ready tv in the kitchen, basement or bedrom you want to hook up without paying extra 5 or 6 bucks for sd stb, you can get a dct 700 unit which vz is letting you lease at no cost(up to 3 for no charge per account, each additional $3.99/month) as long as you remain their sub. with a cable-ready tv you should be able to pick up the entire pemiere line-up with dct 700 but no on-demand, hd channels or widgets, of course.

so may 12th is the day.

Oh Gods of Fios...get you head out of your arse and give us our damn HD!!!

Any new update Troyka?
post #458 of 1518 Old 05-27-2008, 01:54 PM

I am planning on switching to FIOS as my current cable company has decided to encrypt the local HD channels.

My first question is whether FIOS has any such plans. I know they are crushing analog which is fine, and I see their FAQ states that local HD is available in clearQAM. I just wanted to see if there were any rumors or reports to the contrary from other markets.

Second, can I just pick up a cable box from the Verizon office and install it after the fact myself? When I go to order online, it wants to charge $20 for any TV's after the first 3, and I actually will be hooking up a couple to a DVR which I don't feel like dealing with during install anyway.

And I guess the DCT700 deal for the analog crush is only for existing subscribers?

Thanks,
Billy
post #459 of 1518 Old 05-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyfries View Post

I am planning on switching to FIOS as my current cable company has decided to encrypt the local HD channels.

My first question is whether FIOS has any such plans. I know they are crushing analog which is fine, and I see their FAQ states that local HD is available in clearQAM. I just wanted to see if there were any rumors or reports to the contrary from other markets.

I believe the FCC doesn't allow cable companies to encrypt local channels. If they are, you should file a complaint with the FCC. (There's a form on the FCC website.)
post #460 of 1518 Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM

My Panasonic TV with CableCARD just lost ESPN-HD, NESN-HD, and CSN-HD. It says channels not available when tuned into these channels. Other HD Channels are OK. Anyone having the same problem?
post #461 of 1518 Old 06-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Oh Gods of Fios...get you head out of your arse and give us our damn HD!!!

Any new update Troyka?

I'm not Troyka, but I saw this news today. It says there should be an official announcement tomorrow.

Quote:

Verizon Plans to Add 25 HD Channels
The telco says the new channels will start in July.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (June 4, 2008) -- Verizon's FiOS will add 25 High-Definition channels in the coming weeks, starting in July, the company said today at its web site.

The new high-def channels will include Lifetime, Animal Planet, TLC, Science Channel and the Smithsonian Channel as well as five new premium movie channels from Starz and Showtime.

Eric Rabe, Verizon's vice president for media relations, made the announcement today at the company's blog, PolicyBlog, located at Verizon.com.

Rabe said the company's official announcement will be released on Thursday.

Verizon's FiOS promised last year to offer up to 150 High-Definition channels by the end of 2008, but the telco has been slow to add channels thus far this year. Rabe said this first wave of high-def additions will "ensure that Verizon FiOS TV leads all comers in providing both HD and SD programming choice."

Verizon now offers slightly less than 40 high-def channels, but Rabe writes that "by year end Verizon will carry more HD programming than any of our competitors, and that will include all available major HD programming."

Rabe also says that Verizon "expects" to offer MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice pay packages.

Here is the text directly from Verizon:
Quote:

A Preview of Coming Attractions
Posted by Eric Rabe in Video on June 04, 2008, 11:58 AM EST

Tomorrow Verizon will issue a news release about some of the new content coming to your FiOS TV screens this summer. Because PolicyBlog readers have expressed a lot of interest – and frankly frustration – about new content, I’m giving you the heads up today.

What we will announce is that, beginning in July, we’ll start adding new HD and standard-definition channels to the 400-plus channels we already carry. This is the first step in a phased approach to ensure that Verizon FiOS TV leads all comers in providing both HD and SD programming choice. In the coming weeks, we will add a total of about 60 new channels including at least 25 in HD. The number varies by market depending on the number of local HD channels available. By year end, Verizon will carry more HD programming than any of our competitors, and that will include all available major HD programming.

Some of the new content we’ll announce includes HD channels from Lifetime, Animal Planet, TLC, Science Channel and Smithsonian Channel, along with five new premium movie channels from Starz and Showtime. We’ll also add Setanta Sports, a premium channel dedicated to bringing European and International soccer and rugby to U.S.-based fans, plus approximately 15 multicultural channels. Other content we expect to offer includes Big Ten Network, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice, among others.

Obviously, negotiating program content is an ongoing process, and not something we can really do in public. What I’ve tried to do is to give what indications I can on the blog, but I understand the frustration when I can’t say more. Because of the nature of some programming negotiations, it is simply not possible for me to be more specific at this time.

Is this schedule different from the timetable we announced last November? Yes, we’re a month or two later than we’d hoped. The bottom line is that FiOS TV customers have a lot of new channels to look forward to, and we remain committed to being a leader in this category.

post #462 of 1518 Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 AM

Here's the official release about adding new channels. It is short on specifics, though.

Quote:

News Release

The Best TV Gets Even Better - Verizon FiOS TV Adds New Channels

More Than 60 New Channels - Including at Least 25 in HD - to Be Added This Summer

June 5, 2008

Media Contact:
Heather Wilner, 212-321-8333

NEW YORK - Verizon FiOS TV customers will get even more great programming this summer as Verizon adds more than 60 new channels to the lineup, including high-definition (HD), sports and multicultural content. Verizon plans to expand its lineup to offer by the end of the year up to 150 HD channels, which will include all available major HD programming. Other Verizon HD choices include hundreds of video-on-demand (VOD) titles per month, with 1,000 HD VOD titles by the end of the year.

"The popularity of HD, sports and multicultural content continues to grow, and we're committed to leading the industry in the scope and quality of our programming offerings," said Terry Denson, vice president - FiOS TV content and programming. "We are aggressively acquiring high-quality programming in both standard and high definition that appeals to a broad array of viewers. Because we deliver FiOS TV over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network straight to customers' homes, the quality of our picture and sound is unmatched, giving customers the best possible TV viewing experience."

Verizon will roll out the new content, region by region, to areas where FiOS TV is available, beginning by early July. The new channels will be activated in FiOS systems across the country over the following few months.

Included in the new content will be more than 25 high-definition channels, bringing the total number of HD channels to between 52 and 65, depending on the customer's location.

Customers will see some of their favorite channels in HD, including Lifetime, Animal Planet, TLC, Science Channel and Smithsonian Channel. Those who subscribe to FiOS TV's Movie Package - which already includes more than 40 channels from Showtime, Starz, The Movie Channel, Encore, Sundance Channel and IFC, as well as access to hundreds of free movies on VOD - will see a total of five new HD channels from Starz and Showtime.

Verizon also puts a high priority on providing all major sports programming and offering as much as possible in HD.

"We understand the importance of sports content to our customers, and we continue to work hard to bring the best in sports to FiOS TV," said Denson. "We plan to give our customers a front seat to watch some of their favorite teams this year."

Consumers will see more sports programming on the FiOS TV lineup, as Verizon continues to work with programmers to provide new sports content. One of the many channels that will be added is Setanta Sports, a premium channel dedicated to bringing European and International soccer and rugby to U.S.-based fans. Verizon will be the only cable provider to make Setanta available at the time of launch. Verizon also plans to offer a number of sports channels in HD, including Outdoor Channel, which provides programming that promotes traditional outdoor activities like fishing, hunting and shooting sports.

Verizon will also add approximately 15 multicultural channels to the FiOS TV lineup, including leading channels for Arabic, Portuguese and Russian audiences, among others. These new channels continue to make FiOS TV an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.

Much of the multicultural content comes from WorldTV, a division of content management and delivery company GlobeCast, which previously signed a distribution deal with Verizon for top-tier international channels. The new GlobeCast WorldTV international television channels include MBT (Arabic), RTPI (Portuguese) and RTR Planeta (Russian).

Verizon's FiOS TV service offers a broad collection of all-digital programming, with more than 400 total channels and 10,000 video-on-demand titles, 70 percent of which are free. The VOD library also includes an increasing number of HD titles. FiOS TV is currently available to more than 6.5 million homes in 13 states. In the little more than two years since the service first launched, the company has signed up more than 1.2 million FiOS TV customers who enjoy hundreds of digital video and music channels, high-definition linear and on-demand programming, the nation's largest collection of video-on-demand content, a robust interactive media guide, and other advanced features. For more information on FiOS TV, visit http://www.verizon.com/fiostv.

post #463 of 1518 Old 06-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenju View Post

My Panasonic TV with CableCARD just lost ESPN-HD, NESN-HD, and CSN-HD. It says channels not available when tuned into these channels. Other HD Channels are OK. Anyone having the same problem?

So NESN-HD was back when I watched the beginning of today's game. But it disappeared again at about 7:45pm. All other channels are fine. Do everyone else all still have NESN-HD? Maybe the CableCARD is finally acting up...
post #464 of 1518 Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:

So NESN-HD was back when I watched the beginning of today's game. But it disappeared again at about 7:45pm. All other channels are fine. Do everyone else all still have NESN-HD? Maybe the CableCARD is finally acting up...

I think you're right. I have a couple boxes and NESN has been fine all week - at least during the Sox games and in the AM for SportDesk.
post #465 of 1518 Old 06-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I had a problem 2 weeks ago where all of a sudden I lost like 20 channels, with my cable box, not the cable card. Problem was a gradual signal loss due to too many splitters. They added a booster to the line.

If you don't have a lot of splitters on the line, then it may just be a authorization issue where the card dropped some data. You can call Verizon and they should be able to reauthorize the card for you.

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #466 of 1518 Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 AM

Anyone know if verizon is still installing fios in NH. It seems like its its everywhere else in So. NH except for NH largest city! Why didn't they start there first.
post #467 of 1518 Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 AM
FMD

Liked: 12
`-

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
post #468 of 1518 Old 06-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post

Anyone know if verizon is still installing fios in NH. It seems like its its everywhere else in So. NH except for NH largest city! Why didn't they start there first.

Verizon is not doing any further installs in NH. They wanted to bypass the need to negotiate contracts with each town by instead having one for the entire state. When they didn't get what they wanted, they pulled out and left us with Fairpoint. Existing FIOS installs in NH remain active though.

If you can't tell, I'm a little bitter about the whole thing. I can't stand Comcast, all their HD content is over compressed.

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #469 of 1518 Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 AM

Liked: 11
So which is better: The company willing to give you good but not great service, or the company not willing to give you any service?
post #470 of 1518 Old 06-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

Verizon is not doing any further installs in NH. They wanted to bypass the need to negotiate contracts with each town by instead having one for the entire state. When they didn't get what they wanted, they pulled out and left us with Fairpoint. Existing FIOS installs in NH remain active though.

If you can't tell, I'm a little bitter about the whole thing. I can't stand Comcast, all their HD content is over compressed.

That sucks. How does Directv compare to fios?
post #471 of 1518 Old 06-19-2008, 04:19 AM

Liked: 11
Compare in what way? HD PQ? From what I understand, DirecTV's HD PQ is steadily improving (many channels are super, but some still are not), but not quite up to where FiOS's HD PQ is (where any variability there is is strictly a matter of the source of the HD channel, which affects all service providers, equally).
post #472 of 1518 Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM

I just lost my picture for the third time today. Anyone else experiencing any problems?
post #473 of 1518 Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 PM

And now for the 4th time lost the picture . Don't know if it is just Braintree or a wider spread problem. (or just me)
post #474 of 1518 Old 06-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgets View Post

And now for the 4th time lost the picture . Don't know if it is just Braintree or a wider spread problem. (or just me)

There have been four or five amber alert messages this afternoon. Did you get those too?
post #475 of 1518 Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyfries View Post

There have been four or five amber alert messages this afternoon. Did you get those too?

I did not.
I bet they coincide with my outages.
post #476 of 1518 Old 06-22-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgets View Post

I did not.
I bet they coincide with my outages.

I too am a Mass. FiOS customer and we lost service in the afternoon. This was most noticable when my DVR truncated recordings, specificly at 1:22pm twice. There could be more but I have not checked all 3 units yet.

I called Verizon FiOS support and they confirmed a Mass Amber alert was issued around 12pm and that ALL (??) Mass. FiOS customers were effected with resets of boxes or black/blank screens.

He did say that a firmware update was rolled out a couple of weeks ago and perhaps it is not compatible with the Amber Alert system, since in the past the Amber Alerts displayed on screen worked without an issue.

The only thing he said was to call the Billing dept on Monday to complain and look for a credit for the lost service and inconvenience. For me, I am annoyed that all 3 of my DVRs truncated recordings which was for the live Formula 1 Grand Prix from France.

If the information I was given is correct, and the root cause was a poor QA on their firmware update then shame on Verizon ...

I was driving when we received the Amber Alert on the highway and on the radio.
post #477 of 1518 Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM

FiOS Support said there was a multi-state issue Sunday afternoon. They had little other info other than to confirm a DVR reset/restart should not have occurred. They did say a top-levle support team was fully aware of the issue so maybe it will get attention so they can correct the root cause of the problem.

The Billing dept credited me for one month of DVR service ($14?) for my invonvenience. They offered this credit to me, I did not ask for it.
post #478 of 1518 Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm in Braintree too and had the problem also. Its funny because it was around 12 when it started, which is the time of the amber alert. I was watching a recorded program and screen went black. I exited out to live TV, saw amber alert scroll on bottom of channel 5 and then picture froze and went to channel unavailable on all channels.

I shutdown and turned back on after waiting a few minutes and picture was fine...for a half hour and then would freeze again. So I wonder if the Amber Alert was every 1/2 hour and it was doing it. The freezes went on for over 2 hours. I was getting pissed because the US soccer match and the Italy match were coming up. I had problems a week or two earlier with first missing channels and then router losing internet connection so had Verizon out twice to fix basically the same problem (needed an inline amp and NID)...so I was swearing them up and down thinking it was my same problem.

Finally, I unplugged cable box, router, ONT and amp and problem went away...but as posted the reset of the box by unplugging it was the solution.

post #479 of 1518 Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Problems yesterday in Eastern Mass? Midgets, you said you're in Braintree, did you have any problems last night (Tuesday night). I was getting picture stuttering, slight pixelation and also internet drop outs last night from 6-10. Some strong thunderstorms went through around 6 last night so I did not know if it was storm related problems on the lines or again a flare up of the problem I have been having as mentioned in my last post.

post #480 of 1518 Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinma View Post

Problems yesterday in Eastern Mass? Midgets, you said you're in Braintree, did you have any problems last night (Tuesday night). I was getting picture stuttering, slight pixelation and also internet drop outs last night from 6-10. Some strong thunderstorms went through around 6 last night so I did not know if it was storm related problems on the lines or again a flare up of the problem I have been having as mentioned in my last post.

I didn't notice any problems Tuesday night even with the storm rolling thru.
The internet was fine (was watching the storm on radar). Sunday I was getting some pixelation watching the Olympic diving trials. The splash when they hit the water was pixelating pretty bad. (kinda brought me back to my Comcast days)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page