Boston, MA - Verizon - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1508 Old 02-24-2007, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After the channel realignment on Feb 23rd , the Wealth HD channel shows up as an SD channel. Can anyone in the Boston region verify this?

John Doe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1508 Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 AM

Same thing here in Marlborough.. I just noticed that this AM
post #183 of 1508 Old 02-25-2007, 07:06 AM

I got all the music channels. Someone wrote to their site asking if it was a QAM tuner, reply was that it was. When it scans, it scans in anolog first, then digital. Reported that I got 93 digital channels.
post #184 of 1508 Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR68 View Post

I got all the music channels. Someone wrote to their site asking if it was a QAM tuner, reply was that it was. When it scans, it scans in anolog first, then digital. Reported that I got 93 digital channels.

So although it found the channels you are unable to watch them? I would think you could watch them all. If you cannot I would think that would be justification for tech support to identify why you are unable to view unencrypted QAM channels using their hardware. Otherwise, how is the picture quality of the set. I am thinking of purchasing one, but also get a dose of that feeling of "I should've held out until CD-R drives came down in price instead of buying this 2X recorder for $329" and therefore I would consider waiting for larger size units to come down in price as well.
post #185 of 1508 Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 AM

Looks like WealthTV is back to HD now...
post #186 of 1508 Old 02-25-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Bill View Post

I'd have to say that this thread is effective in generating results, or coincidentally someone called them.
post #187 of 1508 Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Bill View Post

And I thought that power cycling my cable box fixed the problem.
post #188 of 1508 Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

So although it found the channels you are unable to watch them? I would think you could watch them all. If you cannot I would think that would be justification for tech support to identify why you are unable to view unencrypted QAM channels using their hardware. Otherwise, how is the picture quality of the set. I am thinking of purchasing one, but also get a dose of that feeling of "I should've held out until CD-R drives came down in price instead of buying this 2X recorder for $329" and therefore I would consider waiting for larger size units to come down in price as well.

The picture quality is great. Very good quality for the money. The best part is it receives 1080i in addition to 720p. Many more expensive sets only get 720p. Most consumers don't realize that their paying $1200 & only get 720p with many of the "name" brands.

I checked another web dicussion group on the QAM tuner issue & Verizon FiOS. They encrypt most or all of their HD content. That discussion group recommends a cable card, but this set does not have a slot for one (as many don't). So I could view all the SD content (including music channels), but not the HD content.
post #189 of 1508 Old 02-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Liked: 12
I don't think that set is QAM - it is only ATSC which would allow it to tune in OTA HD but not digital cable HD(Fios or cable etc).

Also almost ALL brand name sets accept 1080i & 720p & 480i & 480p (and many also accept 1080p). Regardless it must deinterlace / or use its built in scaler to display at the fp resolution. So no matter what you are receiving it at it is displayed at 1366 by 768 (your sets fpr).

You are correct in that many providers encrypt their content and require a stb or cc.
post #190 of 1508 Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernazz View Post

I don't think that set is QAM - it is only ATSC which would allow it to tune in OTA HD but not digital cable HD(Fios or cable etc).

Also almost ALL brand name sets accept 1080i & 720p & 480i & 480p (and many also accept 1080p). Regardless it must deinterlace / or use its built in scaler to display at the fp resolution. So no matter what you are receiving it at it is displayed at 1366 by 768 (your sets fpr).

You are correct in that many providers encrypt their content and require a stb or cc.

Its a QAM tuner. A friend has one and received all the local HD channels w/the tuner via Comcast.

If you look at the many ads for HD sets these days they say 720p...max. They don't display in 1080i. Others will say "full HD 1080i" but those sets cost significantly more $. Some of the recent models will display 1080p, but no one is really broadcasting at 1080p. They all will do the 480's. Below is a link to Sony Bravia S series 32", only 720p.
http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/as...HQS=bravia_lcd
post #191 of 1508 Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 AM

Liked: 11
I believe only the lowest-end televisions being made now are limited to 720p. All others are 1080i or 1080p.
post #192 of 1508 Old 02-27-2007, 04:10 AM

Sorry guys but I don't think you understand how these fp's work. They are ALL fixed pixel devices. That means they always display (output on the panel - what you see) at "their" resolution. What they accept is another story.. Most (even the Sony you mention above) in fact accept 1080i signal and in that case de-interlace it and then scale it to 720p. My 1024 by 768 plasma only displays at that resolution but it accepts 720p (which is not an exact match of my resolution and even 720p has to be scaled), 1080i and even 1080p (over HDMI).

I don't have the set in question - but a complete review of their spec sheet and user manual on their website never mention QAM only ATSC & NTSC. It adds usually 100 bucks or more for that additional circuitry and I would doubt anyone who added that functionality to not market it.
post #193 of 1508 Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Sorry guys but I don't think you understand how these fp's work. They are ALL fixed pixel devices. That means they always display (output on the panel - what you see) at "their" resolution. What they accept is another story.. Most (even the Sony you mention above) in fact accept 1080i signal and in that case de-interlace it and then scale it to 720p. My 1024 by 768 plasma only displays at that resolution but it accepts 720p (which is not an exact match of my resolution and even 720p has to be scaled), 1080i and even 1080p (over HDMI).

I don't have the set in question - but a complete review of their spec sheet and user manual on their website never mention QAM only ATSC & NTSC. It adds usually 100 bucks or more for that additional circuitry and I would doubt anyone who added that functionality to not market it.

Most brands don't say anything about QAM, just ATSC & NTSC. Someone wrote to this manufacteror's web site and asked if it was a QAM. Tech replied that it was. My scan found all the HD channels(WGBH-HD 8-2 etc.), but they are encrypted by VZ. It did display all the SD channels. A friend got all the HD channels from Comcast in his scan w/this set. He's not going to get a STP since he gets all but the ESPN-HDs.
post #194 of 1508 Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 AM

I will take your word for it since as I said I don't own one. Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Panasonic and many others all list it and those are some pretty popular sets.

When you say ALL of the SD channels are you referring to their local lineup (usually their stations 2-49 which may be anything to your tuner) or everything up to their premier lineup? (in other words can you see TNT, TBS, NICK TOO, GAS, A&E etc without a stb?).
post #195 of 1508 Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:

I will take your word for it since as I said I don't own one. Sony, Sharp, Pioneer, Panasonic and many others all list it and those are some pretty popular sets.

When you say ALL of the SD channels are you referring to their local lineup (usually their stations 2-49 which may be anything to your tuner) or everything up to their premier lineup? (in other words can you see TNT, TBS, NICK TOO, GAS, A&E etc without a stb?).

Well I didn't go through all 94 channels, but some were WGN-13, all the music channels & local govt. There were others but the tuner listed them as 66-438 etc. so it was hard to tell what channel they were even when I'd watch for a few minutes. I don't think I got the national channels you list. My friend I referred to earlier got 145 channels via Comcast (with 7 to 8 HD channels & he doesn't subsribe to the HD tier).
Had a tech guy here today & he said VZ encrypts almost all, and to just get the CableCard. I don't have a CableCard slot so had to rent a second STB. The FCC has set standards on all this (that you should get what you pay for through QAM), but I understand VZ got a waiver to encrypt most of their content.

VZ tech person also said there should be new HD channels in March including NESN & FSN. We'll see?
post #196 of 1508 Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 AM

Thanks! That is what I thought. I also get comcast as verizon is just rolling out here. I get 1-99 analog (on any old tv ntsc) and with ATSC QAM get 140 plus channels including local HD (no you don't need to subscribe to HD tier to get local HD channels if you have QAM). That is part of my concern with vz fios. They say that 2-49 which would be the channels you described are all that you can get without a cc or stb. I really don't want a stb in all 4 bedrooms and today those crt non hd tvs get 99 channels. Add to it the tv in front of the treadmill and finally the plasma which has HD DVR and I would have to go from 1 stb to 6. Ouch!
post #197 of 1508 Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Well I didn't go through all 94 channels, but some were WGN-13, all the music channels & local govt. There were others but the tuner listed them as 66-438 etc. so it was hard to tell what channel they were even when I'd watch for a few minutes. I don't think I got the national channels you list. My friend I referred to earlier got 145 channels via Comcast (with 7 to 8 HD channels & he doesn't subsribe to the HD tier).
Had a tech guy here today & he said VZ encrypts almost all, and to just get the CableCard. I don't have a CableCard slot so had to rent a second STB. The FCC has set standards on all this (that you should get what you pay for through QAM), but I understand VZ got a waiver to encrypt most of their content.

VZ tech person also said there should be new HD channels in March including NESN & FSN. We'll see?

I spoke with tech support at Visco. I think what you're seeing is the Visco set's inability to convert QAM at 1080i to the set's native resolution. Although it can acquire 8VSB 1080i and convert to display native res, the QAM seems to be unable to handle it. This is apparent as your set finds ~90 unencrypted programs and stores them in memory, and the set only stores unencrypted content. If the set were to store encrypted channels you'd find probably 300+ programs stored. Ultimately the set may not have been designed to process 1080i from QAM. The tech support person agreed with me that this is probably the case.

I do know that Vz is not sending the Local HD's out encrypted as my buddy from Woburn has the service and has both a settop and a Sony Bravia with cable direct and he gets Local HD's on both, settop and cable direct. I think the issue is just a limitation with the television you have.
post #198 of 1508 Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks! That is what I thought. I also get comcast as verizon is just rolling out here. I get 1-99 analog (on any old tv ntsc) and with ATSC QAM get 140 plus channels including local HD (no you don't need to subscribe to HD tier to get local HD channels if you have QAM). That is part of my concern with vz fios. They say that 2-49 which would be the channels you described are all that you can get without a cc or stb. I really don't want a stb in all 4 bedrooms and today those crt non hd tvs get 99 channels. Add to it the tv in front of the treadmill and finally the plasma which has HD DVR and I would have to go from 1 stb to 6. Ouch!

Exactly, there're all encrypted. Which is fine if all come through a CabelCard, but the new CableCard 2.0 is not capatable w/ 1.0, which is VZ's standard. Have to call your Fed's reps ( Markey) to get the FCC to enforce the rules!!!
post #199 of 1508 Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 AM

Liked: 11
Keep in mind that the law allows cable companies to comply with the requirements for privately-own tuners any way they wish, and the law permits them to change the mechanism any time they wish. So, for example, at some point, they will change to CC2.0, be legitimately allowed to stop supporting CC1.0, and any CE that doesn't support CC2.0 will become a doorstop.
post #200 of 1508 Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I spoke with tech support at Visco. I think what you're seeing is the Visco set's inability to convert QAM at 1080i to the set's native resolution. Although it can acquire 8VSB 1080i and convert to display native res, the QAM seems to be unable to handle it. This is apparent as your set finds ~90 unencrypted programs and stores them in memory, and the set only stores unencrypted content. If the set were to store encrypted channels you'd find probably 300+ programs stored. Ultimately the set may not have been designed to process 1080i from QAM. The tech support person agreed with me that this is probably the case.

I do know that Vz is not sending the Local HD's out encrypted as my buddy from Woburn has the service and has both a settop and a Sony Bravia with cable direct and he gets Local HD's on both, settop and cable direct. I think the issue is just a limitation with the television you have.

You might just be right. My friend w/Comcast & the same set got all HD channels, and the set tells you on the upper left hand corner what its receiving at. Most of the HD's came in at 1080i with some at 720p. The VZ tech guy that was here to hook up the new box said for the QAM tuners to work w/FiOS you need CC even for local HD.(Does your friend have a CC?) He said it had to do with how Comcast compresses their signal where FiOS w/ the extra bandwidth doesn't have to. So who knows. I should get some type of cheap antennae & then see what comes in. But I have the new box set at 1080i & picture is great, but that's through HDMI & STP not the QAM.
These are the same issues that arose when they started to make sets "cable ready". You got some channels & not others. Eventually it came down to you had to have a STB for HBO etc. But it took years for the cable companies to adhere to what the FCC intended. They love to rent those STPs.
post #201 of 1508 Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:

You might just be right. My friend w/Comcast & the same set got all HD channels, and the set tells you on the upper left hand corner what its receiving at. Most of the HD's came in at 1080i with some at 720p. The VZ tech guy that was here to hook up the new box said for the QAM tuners to work w/FiOS you need CC even for local HD.(Does your friend have a CC?) He said it had to do with how Comcast compresses their signal where FiOS w/ the extra bandwidth doesn't have to. So who knows. I should get some type of cheap antennae & then see what comes in. But I have the new box set at 1080i & picture is great, but that's through HDMI & STP not the QAM.
These are the same issues that arose when they started to make sets "cable ready". You got some channels & not others. Eventually it came down to you had to have a STB for HBO etc. But it took years for the cable companies to adhere to what the FCC intended. They love to rent those STPs.

I'm curious, your friend has the same set with Comcast service and he is able to view HD content cable direct on his Visco? The Vz tech guy is mistaken. The program compression would not be a factor as all programs on either system do not exceed 19.2Mbps.
post #202 of 1508 Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:

I'm curious, your friend has the same set with Comcast service and he is able to view HD content cable direct on his Visco? The Vz tech guy is mistaken. The program compression would not be a factor as all programs on either system do not exceed 19.2Mbps.

Yes same set. And he doesn't subsribe to their (Comcast's) HD tier.
post #203 of 1508 Old 03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
You gotta love Verizon. So are the Engineers as bad as they are at Comcast? I called them up 3 days ago and they were supposed to get back to me on a technical question about an install 2 days ago and they never called me back.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #204 of 1508 Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

You gotta love Verizon. So are the Engineers as bad as they are at Comcast? I called them up 3 days ago and they were supposed to get back to me on a technical question about an install 2 days ago and they never called me back.

From my own observation, their field techs are definitely better trained than Comcast's contractors who only seem to specialize in disconnecting boxes, droping off routers and stb's. Verizon is a union shop so there's definitely mandatory training that their techs are supposed take before they go out in the field and start messing with wires, boxes,etc. so you're less likely to get a meathead on your Verizon install as opposed to on your Comcast install.

Anyway, just had my Verizon FIOS video installed this week. After being a Comcast/Media One/AT&T slave to lousy service for so many years, this truly a liberating experience. What can you say about the quality of FIOS picture? Striking. Even Standard Digital is amazingly clear and crisp. Hi-Def is mind-blowing. After dealing with Comcast's limited bandwith and all the downconversion crap that came with it and now seeing the difference with fiber, you will never go back to any cable company's service. Ever. VZ's Premier package beats comparable Comcast digital package by at least 20 bucks. I am very happy to get CNN International, CNBC World and Chicago's WGN. Comcast doesn't even offer these in Eastern Mass.

I am pretty satisfied with On Demand content. In our house, kids rule the main TV and there's plenty of kids' on-demand stuff in their VOD library to put you in the Dora coma for a year or two. No complants about DVR's either. Very easy to use. The guide is pretty user-friendly. They've shifted some channels around recently so all the Alert channels are kind of annoying.

So far, the only drawback seems to be lack of NESN HD but the start of the Sox season is still a month away so let's hope they'll get it by Opening Day. Even if they don't get it by then, I don't mind watch Sox in SD. It's still very good quality video compared to Comcast. No FSN HD is no big deal. The Celitcs are horrible so why would you even watch them in HD now in the first place?
post #205 of 1508 Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 PM

No NESN HD is a bummer, but FIOS TV standard def channels are entirely watchable. I just got FIOS TV installed today, and picture quality is just amazing. I never bothered with Comcast SD, unless it was something like CNN or the Tour de France. I agree that Comcast is still ahead with HD on-demand -- now that I have StarZ I was hoping to get more of selection of on-demand HD movies, but no such luck. There doesn't appear to be *any* on-demand HD content. I wonder why.

But back to NESN HD -- perhaps we should all give Verizon a call.
post #206 of 1508 Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 AM

Twinda, your the first I've seen to say that there is no HD on demand content with Fios. Is this true?

This thread has been most helpful. I've had comcast for years, and bought an HD TV recently. Fopr me the Red Sox are a big reason for the TV upgrade. So as I see it here are the pros and cons with fios:

Pros

-seems like better quality across the board
-internet speeds are superior
-costs are potentially significantly lower (I'll need to bundle a bunch of stuff so I won't know for sure until I make some calls)

Cons

-No NESN or FSN HD
-No HD on demand

Am I missing anything as of 3/10/07? I live in Newton, MA.

Thanks All,
Ben
post #207 of 1508 Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Pros

-seems like better quality across the board
-internet speeds are superior
-costs are potentially significantly lower (I'll need to bundle a bunch of stuff so I won't know for sure until I make some calls)

Cons

-No NESN or FSN HD
-No HD on demand

Am I missing anything as of 3/10/07? I live in Newton, MA.

Thanks All,
Ben

That's pretty much it in a nut shell. We're all waiting for the "Ides of March" to see if VZ comes through on their many promises to have NESN-HD by the 15th.
post #208 of 1508 Old 03-10-2007, 08:56 AM

I called VZ today cost to replicate what we have now:

2 cable boxes (1 HD/DVR + 1 std)
HBO
high speed internet
Land line + long distance
(I asked about NESN HD, got the usual "yes we offer it", but when I repeated HD! she confirmed that they don't have that yet - pretty dirty on their part)

$161/mo

Currently I pay Comcast for the cable and TV: $150.11 + $45 for Verizon land line:

Savings: $34.11/mo

My final call will be to Comcast to try and get their $99.99 deal for new customers, threatening to cancel if I can't get it...has anyone done this? How does Comcast handle these things?

Thanks!
Ben
post #209 of 1508 Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja1 View Post

I called VZ today cost to replicate what we have now:

2 cable boxes (1 HD/DVR + 1 std)
HBO
high speed internet
Land line + long distance
(I asked about NESN HD, got the usual "yes we offer it", but when I repeated HD! she confirmed that they don't have that yet - pretty dirty on their part)

$161/mo

Currently I pay Comcast for the cable and TV: $150.11 + $45 for Verizon land line:

Savings: $34.11/mo

My final call will be to Comcast to try and get their $99.99 deal for new customers, threatening to cancel if I can't get it...has anyone done this? How does Comcast handle these things?

Thanks!
Ben

I think you have to leave. That's what I did. They offered a small price break to stay, but not $99.99. Just what does the $99.99 give you w/Comcast? They usually don't include STB rentals in their prices. And remember, if you have a set that takes CableCard, you can get a CableCard from either Comcast or VZ for only $3.00/month vs $9.00 for the STB you eliminate w/ a CableCard
post #210 of 1508 Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Internet 5/2 $39.99 Internet Plans
Telephone Unlmtd $44.99 VM/CW/CID
FiOS TV Premier $42.99
HBO or Cinemax $15.99/month both for $25.99/month
FiOS TV Sport & Movies $15.99 includes NESNHD & FSNEHD, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPNews, ESPN Classic Spts, ESPN2, FSNE, NESN, Speed, NFL, Versus, Fox Coll Spts, Tennis, Golf, Outdoor, Sptsmn, GOL, Horse, MAV, Blackbelt, 16 Showtime, 4 TMC, 8 Starz, 13 Encore, 2 Filx, Sundance, IFC + HD's if you have HD STB
WWE $7.99/month
Karaoke $7.99/month
1 HD/DVR STB $12.99
1 SD STB $4.99
Multi-Room DVR $19.99/month
Package Brochure - TV Service Costs
Channel Line Card

2 PBS Â WGBH-TV
3 i:WSBK-TV
4 CBS Â WBZ-TV
5 ABC Â WCVB-TV
6 My WZMY-TV