Boston, MA - Verizon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1516 Old 11-12-2005, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that it was announced that Verizon was granted a franchise agreement for Woburn, Ma., so does anyone know if/when they will be offering TV service? Wonder what service offerings they will have. I would think that if it is competitively priced people would be jumping like fleas to switch from Comca$t. Figured I'd start this thread b/c I'm sure it's inevitable that people will be talking once Verizon FiosTV is here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1516 Old 11-29-2005, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalog View Post

I know that it was announced that Verizon was granted a franchise agreement for Woburn, Ma., so does anyone know if/when they will be offering TV service? Wonder what service offerings they will have. I would think that if it is competitively priced people would be jumping like fleas to switch from Comca$t. Figured I'd start this thread b/c I'm sure it's inevitable that people will be talking once Verizon FiosTV is here!

I have no more information, although I know that the "Cable Committee " in Middleboro is in negotiations with Verizon for TV service as well.

One thing of concern that I've heard is that Verizon has no immediate plans to light up developments with underground cabling. Since this has to be a pretty large portion of developments since the mid-90's I don't know how much market penetration Verizon expects in communities that a large portion of build-up over the past 10 years (like Middleboro). If anyone has heard when they plan to expand to those developments I'd love to know.
post #3 of 1516 Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 PM

I can't wait to find out the details on this. We have fiber on our street and i'm using it for internet and phone service. Dying to hear what will be offered for HD programming. Getting impatient with Dish Network.
post #4 of 1516 Old 12-15-2005, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

I think this is a general channel lineup. I found it by doing a google search. It doesn't appear to list the premium channel HD's but I would have to assume that they would be available. http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...V/channel.aspx
post #5 of 1516 Old 12-15-2005, 02:24 PM

Derry NH and Nashua NH are test markets. I heard on another thread they are taking names for Nashua now.

I want INHD/2 and HDNet/Movies though. I would hate to have to choose between the two. =(
post #6 of 1516 Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 PM

Liked: 16
I live in Nashua and will be having FiOS broadband and telephone service installed next week. When I spoke with the rep from Verizon, they said they hoped to have TV service available in the not-too-distant future, but wouldn't give me any ballpark date. They did offer a DirecTV deal until Verizon's TV offering was available.

They installed the optical network terminal (ONT) on my house yesterday, along with the fiber drop from the pole to the house. The inside work is scheduled for Monday.

Cost for 5M/2M FiOS broadband is $35/month (one year commitment, no installation fee, free wired router), and also gets me a $5 discount on my telephone service through Verizon. Saves me $8/month over Comcast's broadband access charge. We seem to have a fairly high density of homes in my neighborhood using Comcast, so their claimed "6M" download speed is more like 2M in my tests.

Tony
post #7 of 1516 Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I live in Sudbury, MA and have had the FIOS internet service for a while. I can't wait till they get the TV service here it would be a nice drop in price from comcast. and an increase in HD content. I was told Q1 2006 for availablilty.

TC-P50G10, Klipsch KG-4, Klipsch Architectural Refrence 5000 series speakers, Onkyo TX-NR636, BDT-210

Optoma HD79, RX-V2090, HTPC,RX-V867
post #8 of 1516 Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post

I live in Nashua and will be having FiOS broadband and telephone service installed next week. When I spoke with the rep from Verizon, they said they hoped to have TV service available in the not-too-distant future, but wouldn't give me any ballpark date. They did offer a DirecTV deal until Verizon's TV offering was available.

They installed the optical network terminal (ONT) on my house yesterday, along with the fiber drop from the pole to the house. The inside work is scheduled for Monday.

Tony

I'd really like to know what the latency is on FiOS. I've heard fast speeds but high latency. Test with online gaming and see if you get fragged to hell and back due to lag.

I've signed up on the VZ's website but they haven't called me in Derry yet.
post #9 of 1516 Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
From the Info Technology Advisory Council Minutes 11/2/05 for Belmont, MA

Quote:

Verizon (Lee)

Jonathan: Cable Commitee met with Verizon representatives recently about franchise that will be advantageious to the town. Lawyers are doing most of the talking.

John: Woburn recently signed on with Verizon. Is that similar?

Jonathan: yes and it's instructive to us. Particularly with respect to level playing field clause in Comcast contract. This is a good thing because it limits our negotiating choices and Verizon knows it.

John: when can we get Verizon TV?

Jonathan: guess by February. Lee says that's a fair guess.

Jeff says he may be able to get a better Verizon contact for Lee.

http://www.town.belmont.ma.us/Public...83D56-00783D57

maybe in February....yeah!!!!
post #10 of 1516 Old 01-08-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Searching Google I found various articles about Moto and VZ but this one has struck me most Motorola Introduces First All-Digital Set-Top Family With Built-In Home Media Networking Capabilities . It looks like VZ will be offering CPE that will have features that will bring the Jetsons era one step closer. MoCA will allow settop boxes in the house to communicate with each other and share content. In addition to the MoCA settop features it is apparent that VZ and Microsoft will be venturing to add software applications to the Motorola hardware that will even further bring George, Jane, Judy, Elroy and Astro to the home. Once this is off the ground in full force I can only imagine what real value features will be a reality for the money spent on TV services
post #11 of 1516 Old 01-31-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

From Multichannel News:

Verizon Communications Inc. received another cable franchise Wednesday night for its Verizon FiOS TV service.

The Board of Selectmen of Reading, Mass., voted unanimously in favor of a franchise for the regional Bell operating company.

The city council of Falls Church, Va., unanimously approved a franchise agreement for Verizon Monday, and the telco launched FiOS TV in Massapequa Park, N.Y., and Woburn, Mass., Tuesday.

Verizon said Reading has more than 23,000 potential viewers.
post #12 of 1516 Old 03-02-2006, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone in the area have the TV service and care to comment?
post #13 of 1516 Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 AM

How will this work? Through the phone lines, cable lines?

Looked at the Verizon site but couldn't find an answer.
post #14 of 1516 Old 03-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thread added to the Index. (May take a day or two to update)
post #15 of 1516 Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a place you can find out what streets in FIOS towns are wired? I know if you enter your address on the FIOS site it will tell you YES, but they Verizon calls up and says not your street yet.

The reason I ask is I'm planning on moving and want a FIOS ready or capable home.
post #16 of 1516 Old 03-03-2006, 11:21 AM

Does FIOS HD have NESN? VZ came through months ago and wired up my section of Derry NH. As soon as it's available and has NESN I'm getting away from Comcast
post #17 of 1516 Old 03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I heard in one of the other threads that they are in negotiations right now over it...I'd call verizon and ask/encourage them to get it completed.
post #18 of 1516 Old 03-13-2006, 12:48 PM

When I called to order FiOS Internet today after getting my "Current Resident" letter on Saturday that it was available. I asked for it again. I also asked why I wasn't e-mailed or called when I filled out the online "LET ME KNOW WHEN IT'S AVAILABLE" and the customer service rep. told me, "If you are on a DNC (Do Not Call) list you will not be notified even if you fill out an online form asking to be notified." This is because they have to get a phone call from you and verify that you are who you say your are. Pretty crappy that it doesn't mention that at all. I scheduled my FiOS internet install for next week.

I asked about FiOS TV and she said 3-6 months for Salem/Derry, NH which would be the first towns in NH to get it.
post #19 of 1516 Old 03-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelang View Post

Does FIOS HD have NESN? VZ came through months ago and wired up my section of Derry NH. As soon as it's available and has NESN I'm getting away from Comcast

NESN SD - yes
NESN HD - no
post #20 of 1516 Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp View Post

Is there a place you can find out what streets in FIOS towns are wired? I know if you enter your address on the FIOS site it will tell you YES, but they Verizon calls up and says not your street yet.

The reason I ask is I'm planning on moving and want a FIOS ready or capable home.

Just look for about six Verizon fiber trucks about every two or three blocks and you'll know when FiOS is coming to your City or Town. Also, the FiOS line gear is a little bigger than the regular telephone line gear. Here's a page from the Verizon site that shows the gear. The third picture down shows the bag on the pole. As for FiOSTV it is really up to the City or Town Government as they decide on whether to grant a franchise agreement to the service provider that is trying to launch.
post #21 of 1516 Old 03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just look for about six Verizon fiber trucks about every two or three blocks

Thanks for that description, exactly what I have been noticing in my area, sleeply little town on the MA-NH stateline.

Something to look forward to in the next year or so.

Does this mean consumers have a choice now or does FiOS-TV = no more Cable service?

How about the video transport tech.? Are they using modern codecs? Do their STBs have Firewire outs?
post #22 of 1516 Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM

From what the website shows, they are using the same boxes Comcast is, Moto 64xx or 34xx with HDMI? outs. Firewire ports on the back as well.

It's fibre to the ONT and then RG6 to the cablebox as far as I can tell. I'll let you know tomorrow.
post #23 of 1516 Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Full Press release here http://newscenter.verizon.com/proact....vtml?id=93326

CBS and Verizon Reach Comprehensive Retransmission Consent Agreement

Verizon FiOS TV Will Carry CBS-Owned Television Stations and Local Video-On-Demand Content Deal Also Includes CBS Television Network VOD Content

March 20, 2006

Media contacts:
Sharon Cohen-Hagar, Verizon , 972-718-6205
Shannon Jacobs, CBS , 212-975-3161

NEW YORK - Verizon and CBS today announced a comprehensive retransmission consent and video-on-demand (VOD) agreement, which includes analog, digital, multicast and high-definition rights to programming on CBS owned-and-operated television stations; local VOD content from those stations; and CBS Television Network VOD content, including such current popular network series as "CSI," "NCIS" and "Survivor."
post #24 of 1516 Old 03-21-2006, 02:40 PM

Full press release here http://newscenter.verizon.com/proact....vtml?id=93328

News Release

Verizon Seeks FCC Intervention to Free Cablevision's Stranglehold on Sports Programming

Cablevision's Anti-Competitive Behavior in New York and Massachusetts Runs Afoul of 1992 Cable Consumer Protection Act

March 21, 2006

Media contacts:
Brian Blevins, 202-515-2515
Sharon Cohen-Hagar, 214-789-7134

WASHINGTON - Stymied by extended stonewalling by Cablevision Systems Corp. and its wholly-owned subsidiary Rainbow Media Holdings, Verizon has filed a formal program access complaint with the Federal Communications Commission to secure Rainbow's sports programming for Verizon's FiOS TV customers in New York and New England.

For more than a year, despite repeated requests to negotiate by Verizon, Rainbow has refused to begin to negotiate a carriage agreement for Fox Sports Network New York, Fox Sports Network New England and Madison Square Garden Network - all controlled by Rainbow.

If you read down the release NESN is in there as well?
Rainbow also operates and owns a 50 percent interest in a regional sports network that holds rights to produce and show games of the Boston Celtics, among other teams in the Boston area.
post #25 of 1516 Old 03-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the updates.

Looks like this service is going to keep a lot of lawyers busy.
post #26 of 1516 Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

I though Rainbow Media bought the other 50% this past off season.

Oh well one thing is Rainbow Media does all the HD games for the Celtics, Comcast does nothing.
post #27 of 1516 Old 03-23-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

Thanks for that description, exactly what I have been noticing in my area, sleeply little town on the MA-NH stateline.

Something to look forward to in the next year or so.

Does this mean consumers have a choice now or does FiOS-TV = no more Cable service?

How about the video transport tech.? Are they using modern codecs? Do their STBs have Firewire outs?

Here's a link to the cable box PDF. Says it is a dual tuner 160 gig DVR and has ieee1394 on the back. I don't think the cable service is going away.
post #28 of 1516 Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelang View Post

From what the website shows, they are using the same boxes Comcast is, Moto 64xx or 34xx with HDMI? outs. Firewire ports on the back as well.

It's fibre to the ONT and then RG6 to the cablebox as far as I can tell. I'll let you know tomorrow.

I don't think this is the same box as Comcast. The QIP looks to be a box that has additional tuner functionality, hence QIP= QAM IP. What happened the next day? "I'll let you know tomorrow."
post #29 of 1516 Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM

I have been calling Verizon weekly to see when NESN-HD would be available as I live in Reading. Last month they were saying hopefully by the start of the regular seaon, now they are saying May at the earliest. This is a showstopper for me as I can't go back to SD for the Red Sox games. Wish the lawyers would work faster to get this done!
post #30 of 1516 Old 03-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I don't think this is the same box as Comcast. The QIP looks to be a box that has additional tuner functionality, hence QIP= QAM IP. What happened the next day? "I'll let you know tomorrow."

Sorry, it was busy at work last week. The ONT has copper, coax, and ethernet connections. You have fibre coming into the ONT which is basically a multiplexer, then each kind of cable goes of from there. My phone is now on fibre as well. No more copper wires for phone. I have this little box in my home now which is a mini APC UPS that is good for 2-8hrs. If you lose power you lose phone now as well, hence the need for the UPS.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception